Chapter 8

When in Paris

A/N: Warning for swearing and some non-graphic violence.

I feel Khun hurriedly pushing me inside the doorway, his hands pressing into my arms and shoulders as he propels me into the foyer of the restaurant. He closes the door even more briskly, placing a barrier between myself and him. I see through the window that his features have hardened into a scowl, his brows furrowed deeply and his mouth frowning in frustration, his piercing glare directed straight at the other man lingering in front of the restaurant. That's all I see however, because he turns away to face the street, his back to the glass, separating us.

What he doesn't know though is that I can still hear him - and the hostile conversation he is having with this guy. Ji-eun approaches me from the bar, where she seems to have been waiting, and as I turn to ask her more about this Alex person she places a finger to my lips as if to quieten me.

"If we can hear them they'll be able to hear us," she whispers, barely audible. I nod in agreement and we fall into silence.

As we listen in to their muffled argument, Ji-eun looks at me with despair as if she has heard this a thousand times already. She takes a seat at the table nearest the door and beckons me to sit next to hear.

"For the last time, Alex, what the hell do you want from me?!" Khun shouts suddenly, and Ji-eun jumps in her seat. We're both shocked, because Nichkhun only loses his composure when he's truly angry.

"I don't want anything from you, Khun. I want... you..." The man clad in all black clothing trails off suddenly, his voice going quiet. "Why did you call off the wedding, huh?"

"You cheated on me, ! What don't you get about that? Why would I want to marry a man who cheated on me?" Khun sounds even angrier now, and there's even a bitter tone in his voice.

I exhale quickly when I hear him state that and I almost forget that we're supposed to be quiet since Nichkhun clearly doesn't want us to hear this, but I compose myself before the burning questions on the tip of my tongue slip past my lips. Ji-eun places a comforting hand on my knee, and smiles at me reassuringly - though I know she's as unsure and uneasy as I am feeling.

I hear Alex laugh, a short but patronising chuckle, and though I can't exactly see him, I imagine him raising an eyebrow as I hear him say, "Oh, it was only a few times, baby! You can forgive me for that surely."

"Don't call me that," Khun lets out a low growl, "Stop trying to crawl your sorry back to me and give up already. It's been three years, Alex. I cancelled the wedding because you're a controlling, cheating liar!"

We hear a thud against the wall, and somehow I just know its because Khun has been roughly shoved up against it. Something within me snaps and I stand without warning, brush Ji-eun aside whilst warning her to stay indoors and rush outside. As I exit onto the cobbled pavement outside my suspicions are confirmed, because Alex - who must be a few inches taller than Nichkhun - has pushed Khun against the brick wall, his shoulders tightly gripped in his hands.

Khun lets out a yelp as his back collides with the rough surface and that noise is all it takes for me to be scrambling to his side whilst pushing off his assailant. I grab Alex's arm and throw him off; he stumbles backwards, his eyes widening in surprise as he clutches his elbow where I had grabbed him. I look at Nichkhun and he has a similar expression on his face. He clearly wasn't expecting me to be there.

"What do you think you are doing?" I turn on the taller man behind us, who has backed away somewhat. I act as if I'm going to give chase to him and he lets out an almost animalistic huff. He looks as if he's going to charge at us both, but in the end decides it would be too much trouble and stumbles away down the street.

I pull Khun back into the restaurant, which now seems like the perfect safe haven, with an arm over his shoulders. As soon as we are inside, I sit him down in one of the window booths, and turn to him.

"What was all that about, Khun?" I decide to play dumb, remembering Ji-eun's warning about not letting Khun know she had already told me most of the story. "Is he...?"

"Alex Chevalier. My charming  of an ex-boyfriend. Yes." He chuckles dryly, rolling his eyes as he leans on the table, placing his head in his hands. "I presume you heard all of that." I hear him sigh quickly, and without waiting for my answer he mumbles, "I wish he would just leave me alone..."

"He cheated on you." I say. Its more of a statement than a question, because both of us already know the facts by now.

Khun turns his head to face me, and I'm shocked to see that his eyes have become bloodshot and red. On closer inspection, he looks as if he is going to start crying because there are already tears threatening to spill. He opens his mouth to speak, and that's when the floodgates open. I find myself pulling him closer into a tight embrace, his head falling against my chest and he grabs the back of my shirt weakly.

He sobs, "He always acts as if I'm the bad guy! He's the one who cheated on me, and somehow he always shows up and makes me feel guilty for ending our relationship..."

"Oh, Khun..." I can't find the right words to say, and I don't think I could console him much anyway, so I resort to the back of his head and playing gently with his hair. Even with the shock running through my system, I notice how soft it feels against my fingers, which have become so calloused after the last few months working in the kitchen.

He continues to bawl, his tears starting to wet my shirt but I don't really care. He could ruin every shirt in my wardrobe with his tears if it helped him feel better.

He looks up at me after a while, a tear slowly running down his cheek which I swipe away with the back of my hand. He blinks away the rest, seemingly calmed down for at least a short amount of time, and sighs, "He is the reason why I gave up on love."

I shake my head in denial as I say, "Not all guys are like him, Khun."

I want to show you that, I wish I could say, but his heart seems too broken to accept me. Perhaps one day... I think.

When he stares up at me from where his head still rests on my chest, he looks so exhausted. "I... I can't, Wooyoungie. He made me run back to him so many times, made me accept him over and over again... I thought I loved him, but he was just controlling me. I don't think I'll ever be able to trust anyone that much ever again..."

I resume the movement of my fingers through his silky hair, part of me taking satisfaction in our close proximity despite the situation and rest my chin gently on top of his head.

"Just wait and see, Khunnie. Wait and see..."

 

A/N: Omo, I have writing fever now, you guys might even get another chapter tonight or possibly tomorrow (even though the next update is supposed to be Tuesday, I can't wait to write and post it lol). It would mean a lot if you could comment to tell me how I'm doing, I'm curious to see what you think and if you have any ideas you want me to incorporate! :) Thanks for reading! <3