Chapter 11

When in Paris

We’re back in Khun’s apartment, and it has a totally different atmosphere to how it did when we left earlier on that day. Somehow, it feels more like home now. I feel like I actually belong here, and that it's not just within Khun’s heart that I am slowly working my way into - its his whole life now too, as daunting as that is.

Nichkhun’s apartment is the polar opposite of my old one. Whilst that was rundown and neglected beyond belief, Khun’s must be the most looked after in the whole of Paris. It's a fairly modern place, two bedrooms, a shared bathroom and a large living room with front-facing windows that overlook the river seine. A sliding glass door leads out onto a small balcony that seems perfect for basking in the sun during summer’s late evenings, though Khun says he doesn’t get much use out of it.

Surprisingly, his kitchen isn’t all I imagined it to be, without the latest cooking technology or even a decent stove.

“I don’t see the point,” he had explained to me earlier on, “I don’t really use the kitchen, since we usually eat dinner at the restaurant anyway.”

It was a fair point.

Khun walks straight to his bedroom, yawning as he points out that we have to wake up early to visit the market again tomorrow. I follow him down the hallway, but stop in front of the door to my own bedroom.

As I reach out for the handle to open it, Nichkhun turns on his heels as he enters his own doorway and shoots me a look of disdain. I wonder what I’ve already managed to do wrong.

“What?” I ask tentatively, leaning against the duck egg blue wall next to the entrance to my room.

“You’re not coming?” He asks, his voice suddenly quiet, and his face becomes unsure. “We’re a couple now, isn’t it weird to sleep in different rooms?”

I open my mouth to protest, shocked at his sudden forwardness even if he does look uncertain, but I find that he does yet again have a valid point. My stomach feels like it's being invaded by butterflies as I walk towards him, realising that I’ve probably dreamt of exactly this at some point in the last few months.

About an hour later, I’m lying next to him in his bed, close enough that I can feel his warmth under the thick duvet that’s covering us and his breath tickles my cheek. His eyes are closed, as are mine, but neither of us are sleeping. Rather, we have been talking again - but this time more about our histories.

He’s holding my hand loosely like he did when we were sitting on the bench; I’ve found that he seems to like doing that, as if it brings him comfort. He runs his thumb over my fingers, listening as I tell him more about how I came here.

“I had so many pressures back home, Khunnie. Not just from my parents, but also my friends too. They were all doing fantastically well in their lives, some getting into top universities and some even getting married and having families.” I shift so that I’m laying on my side. I know that our bodies are fully facing each other now, even though I still don't open my eyes.

I continue, “Then there was me - a lanky man in my twenties struggling to get by as I tried to make it as an amateur artist.” I chuckle, squeezing his hand, “Maybe that’s why I subconsciously chose Paris, it is the arts capital of the world. Now look where I am, learning from the best chef in the whole of France. Who would have thought that!”

Khun scoffs at my wording. “Best chef? Don’t be an idiot,” he laughs.

“Seriously, Khun!” I exclaim, my eyes springing open only to see that he has already opened his. Our faces are close enough that I can see the little flecks of colour in his mostly brown eyes, and his pupils dilate as they search my own. We stay like that for a while, and I find myself drowning in his beautiful gaze. I want to remember everything about his eyes, so I can’t force myself to break away, until he speaks.

“Wooyoungie, can I tell you something?” He whispers, not wanting to ruin the serene mood we’re both experiencing. I nod, not breaking our eye contact.

“I hope I’m not moving too fast, but I think my heart is learning how to feel again,” he admits with a smile, moving his hand so that it now rests on my forearm, “It’s thanks to you, actually.”

I swear I see him blush, before he finally breaks his vision away from mine.

“Why would you be moving too fast? You know how I feel about you…” I mutter, and my hand finds its way into his hair, my fingers curling around his locks which are just long enough to play with affectionately. My hand eventually leaves his hair, trailing down to touch his jaw tentatively, just to check that he’s still really there. It finally comes to rest lightly on his cheek.

“That’s good,” he says, and his eyes close yet again but reopen almost as quickly. He still looks as tired as he has in the last few days, but at least now he looks happy.

I find that my own vision shifts down his face, observing his nose which just looks so cute, and his cheekbones which define his face in a way that makes him look incredibly handsome. I finally reach his lips, which I have stared at longingly on more than one occasion.

Just like always, they’re so pink and full, and they appear so… kissable

This time, I can’t help it. I gently manoeuvre his face closer to mine with the hand on his cheek, and meet him halfway with my own. I’m relieved because he doesn’t try to stop me - which I know he would if he felt uncomfortable.

I sigh in satisfaction when his lips finally, finally meet mine, and they feel exactly the same way I’ve dreamt of for so long. Thankfully, I feel Khun’s mouth start to move as I angle my head slightly, and his lips feel so soft against my own. The euphoria and relief rushing through me makes me feel ecstatic. I watch as his eyelids drift closed and my own soon follow suit, and I feel his hands clutching my pyjama shirt desperately. I smile as I realise that he’s actually enjoying this as much as I am, and take in a deep breath.

I can smell his cologne, the same one he’s worn ever since I first met him (I think Ji-eun bought it for him) and I can taste a combination of the mint toothpaste and lip balm he used before we got into bed an hour ago. It’s all so overwhelming, and yet so satisfying at the same time. I’ve waited so long for this moment, and suddenly it's all come crashing upon me in a great wave of emotions.

When I find that I really do need to breathe properly, I retract my lips - not without a final loving peck - and smile as I realise that I have finally managed to kiss him breathless.

I take in his appearance and observe that he really does look heavenly. His hair is splayed out on the pillow, and his cheeks are flushed and feel hot to the touch. He’s panting slightly, as am I.

“Khunnie, I…” I start, but I’m still so moved by the aftereffects of what just happened that I’m finding it hard to speak. However I persevere, stuttering, “I- I… love you…”

He doesn’t verbally respond, but he does do something I didn’t really expect from a man that didn’t know how to trust anyone just a few short weeks ago.

He desperately reconnects our lips, pushing harder than before, although he still manages to be so gentle and sweet.

This is the moment I’ve waited for for so long, and it couldn’t be more perfect.

 

A/N: And finally they kiss! How apt for Valentine's day! ^^