Chapter 4

When in Paris

A/N: Use of swearing later in the chapter (1 word but I have to warn you...)

The next few months pass by in the blink of an eye. Soon after he took me under his wing, I'd managed to master quite a lot of what Khun has taught me - though despite what he tries to tell me, I am still far from perfect. I seem to be getting my feet in the kitchen however, and not having to meet face to face with the customers certainly has its benefits too, since I seemed to have been saved from any more embarrassing incidents. Khun has tried on multiple occasions to teach me some basic phrases in le français during our late nights after the restaurant closes, but along with the copious cooking techniques he practically throws at me every day, it's all a bit too much.

During the course of one such late night Nichkhun and I were sat at the bar, much like we did on the day of our first fateful meeting. He turned to me that evening, and smiled, "Do you know what, Wooyoungie?"

I look at him, smiling back, slightly buzzed by the alcohol we had been drinking. I don't really think I replied, but Khun carried on his sentence regardless, "We've gotten rather close in these past few months, right?" My head raises from the palm it rested in, and I nod, as if it was such an obvious statement that really didn't need confirming.

"Of course," I say, frowning at him as if to point out that it was preposterous that he thought otherwise, "What else did you think was happening during all those hours in the kitchen?" I laugh, and then tag on the end, "Besides cooking, that is. We make quite the team by the way."

Perhaps it was the alcohol in my system, but I felt more bold that evening, so my sentences tended to be more brash. It isn't like I'm totally drunk, just enough to be happily tipsy. Khun's exactly the same. Our late night talks after we close up shop always end up being kinda deep. Sometimes though, we say stuff that we would never tell any one else; it's strange for someone whom I've really only just met, but I felt like we already have a connection that I'd lacked with any one else back in Korea.

"Khun... Have you ever been in love?" I suddenly ask. I'm not sure why, but something from within me feels compelled to know the answer, and whilst I'm even surprised at myself for asking, I don't let on that I am. I watch Nichkhun's expression closely, and I see it flicker momentarily in a state of conflict - as if he's unsure how to answer.

He meets my eyes briefly and for a second I swear I see them darken sorrowfully, the corners of his mouth also turning downwards, but before I know it he's built his walls back up around him again. His face turns again to a guarded expression - careful about what he displays. He looks at his glass, and for the first time I see a non-genuine smile grace his lips.

"Something like that..." He mutters, and then he shrugs his shoulders, quickly switching the topic back to me, "How about you?"

I chuckle, more to myself than to him as I think, Well, I've had the worst crush on you practically since I met you, but I can't just tell you that... I shake my head, and smile back at him, hoping to receive a real one back.

"I guess you could say so," I say, and he looks at me with confusion, as if he wants an elaboration, "There is someone, yeah..." It's the most vague I've been all night, and usually I really hate beating around the bush, but I can't just say it outright. That would be weird, considering the situation. He gives me an inquisitive look, but I nervously wave him away, not wanting to give the game away - not this early at least.

"Oh, come on Woo! It's not like I'm even going to know who you're talking about," he says, knocking my upper arm with his hand, trying to encourage me to open up. I sigh, wondering just how much I can say before Khun catches on, but I decide in the end to just go with whatever came out of my mouth. Nothing can go wrong with being mostly honest, right?

Nichkhun nods at me, taking a sip from his glass (soju imported from Korea, ironically) and tries to encourage me. I breathe deeply, and decide to take the plunge into the unreturnable depths of the conversation.

"I'm quite close to him," I start, hoping this wasn't the wrong idea. I was originally curious about Khun's love life; how did I end up divulging secret info about mine?

"Him?" Khun's brow raises, "That's unexpected."

I snicker at his reaction - most people are like that when they find out. They seem to assume that I'm some kind of womanizer, but I'm used to having to explain now. "Yes, him. I'm gay. Why - are you surprised?" He looks at me incredulously, and I worry if I've offended him with my brash expression, but then he does a complete one-eighty and surprises me.

"No, why would I be? I am too," he laughs, grinning at me.

Oh, good lord, I think to myself as soon as he says it. Now that really is unexpected... How am I supposed to cope now, knowing that there's even more of a possibility that it could happen. No, who am I kidding? That would never happen...

"He's the most incredible person," I continue, staring down at my hands as they fiddled with the hem of my shirt, "He's so warm and kind, and totally selfless. I swear he always thinks of other people before himself, even though I constantly tell him to take more care of himself." I stare up into Khun's eyes now, and I can feel myself blushing. This is practically a confession; he's gotta be able to guess who it is by now, but I continue regardless, "He's rather handsome, too."

He sits there with his mouth open for a while, and I can essentially see the cogs turning in his minds as he tries to figure it out. I swear he realizes, but as soon as he goes to answer, we're interrupted by a hasty tap, tap, tap at the door. I glance at the glass in the window, but due to the darkness that has enshrouded the street outside, I can only see the outline of the figure standing in the doorway.

I hop off of my chair to go and open the door, but Nichkhun is faster than I am. He motions for me to sit back down, frowning in the direction of the unknown person, and for now I do as he says. He goes to open the door, and I'm taken aback at his sudden harsh tone - he suddenly sounds fairly sober.

"What?" He says, emphasis on the single word. I don't know why he's changed but he seems so... pissed.

The man on the other side of the door pushes past Khun into the room, stumbling slightly. His red, flushed face suggests he's drunk - more so than us. He stares at me, and I think he's going to say something nasty despite the fact that we have literally never met before, but he just looks me up and down and turns around with disregard. Pleasant guy,

He sneers at Nichkhun, and speaks something quickly in French. I can't understand people at the best of times, but with the lightning speed of his sentences and his slurred words, I really have no hope. Khun's face seems to have hardened, and his jaw clenches. I have rarely seen him so angry, and quite frankly it unnerves me a little.

I've been here long enough, however, to know what he says to the unknown man through his gritted teeth. "Get out. Now!"

He seems rattled, and whilst I wonder what this man has done to him in the past to evoke his wrath, I decide in the end that its probably not my place to ask right now. I glance in their direction one more time, and excuse myself to the kitchen to dispose of the rest of my drink. Once someone barges in on your (sort of) love confession, it tends to ruin the mood...