Chapter 16

When in Paris

I'm awoken early the next morning by an annoyingly incessant sound of vibrations, so I groggily open my eyes only to find that it's Khun's phone buzzing on the bedside table. I can't reach it to turn it off, as it's on the table on Khun's side of the bed, so I tap his arm which is lazily slung over my torso to wake him up. He groans, and I feel him nuzzle his head even deeper into my shoulder as he tightens his grip around me, still in the midst of his dreams. I sigh, realizing that the exact opposite of what I wanted was happening.

"Khun!" I say, tapping his arm even more firmly. The buzzing sound is starting to grate on my nerves now, so I prize his arms away from me, and roll over to face him. "Answer your damn phone!"

He cracks open an eye, staring at me with a deadpan expression. He hates having to wake up early, especially when someone else rouses him away from his precious sleep, but he eventually realizes what is going on. 'I swear he sleeps like the dead,' I think to myself, smiling in satisfaction when he finally reaches for his phone and accepts the call.

"Yes?" He asks, his eyes already closing as he listens half heartedly to whomever decided to rudely call us this early. He crosses his legs and leans against the headboard of the bed, wrapping himself again in the warmth of the duvet. I glare playfully at him when he steals the whole thing, but I don't mind really, so I rest my head in his lap, using him as a makeshift pillow. He brushes his fingers through my messy bed-hair, which was already disheveled from sleep anyway, and I think it feels rather nice. I find myself dozing off slowly, until his fingers freeze, and I hear him gasp.

"Really?" His face lights up, and I end up tapping at him again, this time in a mixture of anticipation and confusion. "That's brilliant, thank you so much!" He hangs up, and then looks at me with such joy that it seems he can barely contain himself.

"What, baby? What?" I grab at his hands, tugging them as I try to get him to tell me what the matter is.

"The police found him, Woo..." Khun breathes a long sigh of relief, and then wraps his arms around me tightly. "Alex confessed to everything, from the destruction of the restaurant to, well... you know..."

He and I do know, about Alex's violence towards both Ji-eun and Khun himself, when he was still engaged to that . It's become an unspoken thing between us, something that we both know of, but neither likes to be reminded of. Still, I nod to show that I understand what he means.

"Should we do something to celebrate?" I ask, sitting up from his lap and taking his hand again. He smiles, and enquires exactly what I feel like doing. "We have the day off, right? You know, I haven't actually seen the Eiffel tower yet..."

That's how we found ourselves sitting on the long expanse of grass near the most iconic monument in the whole of Paris, pleasing our inner foodies with possibly the best picnic I have ever seen. Khun had spent the morning taking the most meticulous care with all sorts of snacks, some with French sounding names, some actually from Korea - which made me incredibly happy when I realized. I didn't know how much I actually missed Korean food until I saw it.

"One of the many perks of dating a chef!" I laugh happily when he lays out the pots of food on our picnic blanket, which he'd found stored away somewhere at the back of his wardrobe. I clap my hands together, allowing my inner childlike personality to show a little, and Khun chuckles.

He ruffles my hair with his fingers affectionately as he shakes his head at me. "Isn't there more than just this though?" He says, gesturing to the genuinely beautiful looking lunch he has made us. 

"Of course!" I say, leaning my head on his shoulder. I smile up at him, then look at the tower that looms above us at the other end of the park. "It's a lot bigger than I expected..." I comment, pointing to the iron tower.

"Because it's the freakin' Eiffel tower..." He laughs, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "You didn't expect it to be tiny, did you?"

I roll my eyes at his sarcasm and reach for the food in front of me. Khun passes me some chopsticks and I happily dig in to my meal. I sigh in delight as it hits my taste buds, and Khun looks happy that he's managed to please me with his cooking, yet again.

"Thank you, Youngie... For helping me through these last few months. It would have been really hard without you, you know." He says suddenly, tightening his hold around my shoulders. I lean into his side, feeling his warmth radiate even through my thick winter jacket.

I shake my head, "I've already told you Khun. I did it because I love you, plain and simple."

"I know, I know..." He smiles again, stuffing his mouth with a pastry he'd baked earlier. "Hm..." He hums contentedly, then gives me the most adoring look.

"What?" I ask.

"There's one more thing you could do for me." He says, looking out at the people on the horizon, who seem to be getting smaller as they walk towards the tower and away from us. I give him a look for him to elaborate, and I swear I see a small blush appear on his cheeks. He goes silent for a while, and he even looks a little nervous, so I take his hand.

"Khun?"

"Huh? Oh..." He clears his throat, squeezing my hand between his fingers gently. "Marry me, Wooyoungie... I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

I breathe out sharply, overwhelmed at his sudden question. My mouth opens and closes a few times, unable to think of anything to say, my mind churning out a million questions that I can't even form sentences to. Nichkhun just sits there, waiting patiently for my reply, gently the back of my hand as he awaits my answer.

Even with everything he's been through before, I think, even with the crap he put up with, with Alex, he's willing to put himself through marriage again for me? This man is truly an angel, I swear...

I slowly nod my head, pretty sure of the answer, and before I know it my eyes have clouded over with tears - happy ones for once. I feel a few fall, but Khun quickly wipes them away and before I know it, I've been pulled into his embrace. He lifts my chin with his finger, smiling a genuine smile that reaches his eyes, and leans in to capture my lips with his. My trembling hands clutch at his jacket as I press myself into his body, willing my mouth to move desperately against his.

He pulls back briefly before he crashes our mouths back together, mumbling, "I guess that's a yes, then..."