04. Crumbling

Pebble Path
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun sighs as his driver stops the car outside of Sunggyu’s house. It’s not that he has anything against being engaged to Sunggyu, except the fact that he doesn’t love Sunggyu, but he really didn’t want them to be seen together. Especially by Sungyeol. Woohyun sighs again. Everything is going wrong. But on the bright side, at least he isn’t engaged to some random girl right?

 

Woohyun shakes his head in frustration. He was going to go crazy if he had to see Sungyeol every day but not be able to say anything to the other, in fear of his parents doing something. Woohyun was snapped out of his thoughts as Sunggyu’s butler pulled the door of the car open and Sunggyu entered the car.

 

“Hi.” Sunggyu said softly.

 

“Hey Gyu.” Woohyun replied with a half-smile.

 

They descended into silence as the car started and began driving to Shinki High School. Woohyun was getting increasingly worried. Everyone knew about their relationship now. He knew how the girls at Shinki High were like. They’d be gossiping and talking about this like crazy. He was really concerned about how Sungyeol is taking everything. The other must be so hurt and being surrounded by fan girls talking about it probably wasn’t helping.

 

Halfway through the ride Sunggyu finally spoke up, breaking the nervous silence. He turned to Woohyun with sad eyes and soft voice.

 

“Woohyun-ah… I’m sorry.” Sunggyu said quietly.

 

Since he started liking Woohyun years ago, Sunggyu had often dreamed about dating Woohyun and even gone so far to imagine their marriage. But now that it was actually coming true, he felt guilty. Woohyun should be able to choose who he loves and not be forced into a marriage. Although it hurt his heart to think about it, Woohyun really should be able to be with Sungyeol if he loved the other.

 

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and smiled, shaking his head. “Gyu-ah. It’s not your fault.”

 

“But I feel bad that you are being forced to marry me.” Sunggyu mumbled, looking down.

 

“Don’t feel bad. If it wasn’t you, then I would have had to marry some random girl.” Woohyun chuckled, near emotionlessly.

 

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu began sadly. It was hurting him to see Woohyun so upset like this.

 

“It’s okay Gyu. Just drop it.” Woohyun said gently.

 

Soon the car arrived at the front gates of Shinki High School. The pair stepped out slowly to the waiting mob of fan girls and reporters. As soon as the girls saw Woohyun and Sunggyu, they immediately began screaming and cameras flashed. The few reporters that were there, shoved microphones near their face to try and get a statement. However all of them were blocked as men in black suit surrounded Woohyun and Sunggyu and made a path for them to walk. Mrs Nam had special body guards sent to make sure Woohyun didn’t get mobbed but really, it was just for show. Mrs Nam wanted the reporters to take pictures, to make it known to the world that Woohyun and Sunggyu were engaged.

 

Woohyun sighed as he walked towards the school building with a fake happy face, flashing his killer smile every now and then. Just before he entered the building though, Woohyun stopped abruptly. His eyes met with Sungyeol’s, who was standing at the back. The other turned as soon as their eyes met and Woohyun could only watch as Sungyeol walked away. Woohyun, no longer able to maintain his smile, walked as quickly as he could towards the Infinite room.

 

When Woohyun and Sunggyu finally arrived, the other four were already there. Woohyun plopped dejectedly onto the couch while Sunggyu gave a brief smile and greeted the others. It was the first time he saw the other four since he got back.

 

“Hi guys.” Sunggyu said.

 

“Sunggyu-hyung, you’re finally back.” Sungjong called happily as he ran to give Sunggyu a hug. Sunggyu chuckled slightly while patting the younger’s back.

 

“Welcome back Sunggyu.” Hoya said. Sunggyu nodded at him, leaving Sungjong’s embrace.

 

“So what’s up with your engagement?” Dongwoo said straight out. Sunggyu tensed a bit and looked towards Woohyun who was sitting on the couch with a sad face.

 

“Uh… Our parents decided it a few days ago.” Sunggyu mumbled.

 

“Well it’s about time you two got married.” Dongwoo continued, giggling.

 

“What are you talking about Dongwoo. It’s for business purposes.” Sunggyu said quietly, with a slightly pained look. The only way I can ever be with Woohyun is for business reasons and not because he actually loves me. Sunggyu thought bitterly.

 

“But…” Dongwoo wanted to question it further, but was stopped by Hoya who wrapped his arms around Dongwoo’s waist and shook his head.

 

Myungsoo watched as Sunggyu sighed and went to sit on the other end of the couch Woohyun was on. Those two usually were so happy together so why were they both so sullen today? Did they really not want to be engaged? Honestly speaking, Myungsoo and the others have always seen Woohyun and Sunggyu as a couple and fantasised about the two getting together. But now it seemed they actually didn’t like each other?

 

~~*~~

 

Sungyeol attended his classes with a blank face throughout the day. He took notes diligently and did everything the teacher wanted. Few people took notice of him and he couldn’t be happier about that. Before he wanted this year to last as long as possible, because he could finally see Woohyun every single day, but now… Now Sungyeol just wanted the year to end quickly.

 

Even though Sungyeol wanted to stay in the background and not be noticed, it didn’t mean he didn’t notice o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter