selfish

Lost & Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyekyung lies face down on her bed, sighing every now and then. She can’t think of how to approach Song Mina; she doesn’t even want to, but she knows that for Taehyung, she has no choice.

 

Suddenly, she hears a soft click. She quickly pulls on her pajamas and slips into bed, burying herself under the covers and closing her eyes. It’s already 10:30, and she’ll definitely get into trouble if her mother finds out that she is still awake.

 

About five minutes later, she hears her bedroom door creak open. She keeps her eyes tightly shut and her body as still as possible, trying to feign sleep.

 

She feels a soft weight plop down on her bed beside her. She gives a tiny snore just for good measure.

 

“Hyekyung-ah,” her mother says tenderly. Her voice is full of affection, something that Hyekyung hasn’t heard in a long time.

 

She feels a warm hand on her forehead, brushing her bangs away.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyekyung. I haven’t been a good mother at all. Ever since your father left, I’ve been a wreck. I thought we would feel happier without him, but… It turns out that I miss him. So much. He didn’t use to be like that, you know. He used to be so loving. A caring husband and father.”

 

Hyekyung digests her mother’s words silently. She can’t imagine her father being loving and caring, when all he’s been is violent and abusive.

 

“Honestly, Hyekyung, I can’t take it anymore. I’m just so exhausted.”

 

And it is silent for a while, with Hyekyung’s mother her back gently and Hyekyung slowly sinking into the depths of unconsciousness. The last thing is hears before drifting fully away is,

 

“Don’t fall in love, Hyekyung. You’ll only get hurt.”

 

~

 

The next morning, Hyekyung gets up earlier than usual so as not to be seen by Taehyung, who lives right next to her. She holds her backpack straps tightly and walks to school with heavy footsteps.

 

She walks to the upper level, where the older kids have their classrooms. As she rounds the corner and comes out of the staircase though, an obstacle blocks her path.

 

Jeon Jungkook has his hands stuffed in his pockets, and is leaning against the wall. He takes one look at Hyekyung and his eyes light up immediately, like he’s been waiting for her this whole time. Hyekyung tries to ignore his presence but Jungkook blocks her way completely.

 

“Get out of the way,” she huffs in a demanding tone.

 

“Aww. I’ve been looking for you everywhere, and this is how you treat me? I’m hurt.” He pouts and folds his arms across his chest like a grumpy kid.

 

Hyekyung frowns and tries to push past him but he stops her by grabbing onto her wrist forcefully. She lets out a little squeal of shock and withdraws her hand quickly, like she’s been burnt.

 

“Why do you keep doing that?” Jungkook questions.

 

“Doing what?” She fires back as she tries to calm her erratic heartbeat.

 

“Whenever I touch you, you’re always shocked. Why? Is it because,” Jungkook suddenly leans in and sticks his face right in front of Hyekyung’s, “you like me?”

 

Her eyes widen to comical extremes as she balls her hands into fists and pushes him away from her. Before he has time to react, a sudden low voice calls out.

 

“Hye!”

 

Hyekyung whips her head around and heaves a sigh of relief. She quickly skips over to Taehyung, who is looking Jungkook up and down.

 

“Taehyung oppa, hi,” she stammers, suddenly slightly nervous.

 

“What are you doing here? This is the older kids’ classrooms; were you looking for me?”

 

Hyekyung shakes her head. “No. I was just… never mind. I’ll see you during break, okay?” And she scampers quickly away to the stairs, descending them.

 

Taehyung glances at Jungkook again and feels a protective brotherly instinct surface in his gut. He asks, his voice firm, “Did you do anything to her?”

 

Jungkook holds his hands up innocently. “No, I didn’t. Why would you think that?” He then slinks off quickly to the staircase and disappears out of sight.

 

~

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter