Beneath the Moon

★☆Among the Stars☆★

The next few nights were cloudy and for that you were grateful. It gave you time to think. You liked Yongguk a lot, but you didn't want a relationship full of secrets. Your previous relationships had enough secrets to last you a lifetime. You unintentionally thought back to your most recent break up. After two years together, the boy you had been dating started cheating. He had told you he'd never leave you. He had promised to love you forever.

 

What a bunch of crap… You closed your eyes and ran a hand through your hair. Sighing as you lay on your bed, sleep eluding you once again.

 

Through the curtain you saw the clouds part and the moon appeared. You looked at the clock. It was midnight, well past the time you usually went up there. He wouldn't be expecting you and maybe you could get away without him finding you.

 

Making up your mind, you started your car and went up the mountain to your spot. You drove up quickly, missing being able to just stargaze as much as you wanted. You shut off the car and got out, a little wary as you remembered the wolf attack. But everything seemed normal so you went to your place in the grass and lay down. It was still kind of cloudy, but it was clearing up. You sighed, staring at the Milky Way and hoping to find some answers to all of the questions running through your mind.

 

You were almost falling asleep when you heard movement behind you.

 

“What are you doing out here?” A deep voice asked from the darkness. You shivered; he still found you.

 

“Stargazing.” You replied, hoping your voice stayed steady.

 

“I can see that. But why?” The voice came closer and you cringed.

 

“Couldn't sleep.” If you kept your answers short, maybe he would go away.

 

He was standing directly over you now, blocking your view of the sky. Yongguk just stared at you for several minutes as you shifted to look around him. He sighed and sat down next to you, still watching. Neither of you said anything for the longest time until he finally broke the silence.

 

“It's dangerous to be out here by yourself so late.” He whispered, reaching out to hold your hand. “What if a wolf or something was around?”

 

You sighed, sitting up to face him. The sliver of moon that was out and gave off enough light to make out his features and the concern etched in his face. Seeing that made you stop and think. “I'm sorry… I can't let things like that keep me away though. These stars are all I have that's stable in my life right now, Yongguk. I need to see them.” You looked down at the hand he was holding and shifted so that your fingers were laced together.

 

“I know, but-”

 

Suddenly you felt you hair stand on end and your eyes widened. You whipped your head around, looking for the cause, but didn’t see anything. Yongguk suddenly stood up, moving to stand in behind you. You stood up as well, looking around and unconsciously grabbing at the back of his shirt.

 

A low, grumbly growl came from the darkness of the forest and your heart rate sped up. A giant bear stepped into the moonlight and you could see it’s purple eyes shining brightly. You clutched onto his shirt tighter as the beast growled again. Then it charged and you let out a shriek as Yongguk was pushed back into you and the two of you fell over onto the dirt.

 

If I don’t change now, we’ll both die. Yongguk thought to himself. “Dammit... Alright, stay behind me. Actually, you may want to just look away altogether.” He suddenly yanked off his shirt and shorts. And you stared at him in utter confusion. Then something started to change about him.

 

His eyes turned red, his nails grew and he fell to all fours as dark black fur shot out of him. Suddenly an enormous black bear was standing in front of you facing it’s opponent. You couldn’t believe your eyes and just stared in shock. For a second He turned to look over his shoulder at you, his red eyes full of concern before returning his attention to the bear in front of him.

 

It snarled and rushed in. Yongguk met it with equal force, pushing the threat away from you. Teeth and claws flashed in the moonlight as the two fought, tumbling away through the brush. You could hear them crashing around for a few minutes before everything became quiet again.

 

The stillness in the air was deafening. You waited, rooted to your place as you stared at the spot where they had disappeared.

 

Then you heard heavy footfalls and the crunching of twigs. You held your breath as a bear came out of the forest. It looked up at you with red eyes. You exhaled in relief as you walked towards him. Once you were within range you extended a shaky hand. You touched the side of his fur-covered snout. You pet the fur beneath his eye and and he gently nuzzled against your hand.

 

Then he stepped away and walked over to his discarded clothes. You watched, blushing a little as he transformed back into a completely human. Now it made sense why he had taken the clothes off earlier.

 

Yongguk pulled his shorts up and turned to you, his shirt in one hand. He looked at you sheepishly while he rubbed the back of his neck with his other hand. “You okay?” He asked, staying where he was as his eyes turned from red back to brown.

 

You nodded and walked over to him. You continued to stare at him until you were able to find your voice. “You… Saved me… Thank you, Yongguk.”

 

He blinked in surprise. “Aren’t you scared?”

 

“I’m terrified.” You stated quietly. He frowned but nodded in understanding. “Yongguk, I… I know you probably don’t want to, but… I need an explanation.” You looked up in his eyes as the shock slowly started to catch up with you and you trembled slightly.


He searched your eyes before finally nodding. He extended his hand to you and you looked at it for a moment before reaching out and gripping it tightly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

******

Hi guys! Please let me know what you think! I'll be working on the next chapter soon.