A Shot In The Dark

★☆Among the Stars☆★

Yongguk stood outside on his front porch with Zelo and Jongup, surveying the dark sky. He squinted as he saw the silhouette of a large owl hurtling toward them and took a step back. When the bird was five feet above the ground he transformed and Himchan landed solidly on his feet.

 

“You were right, they took the girl.” He said, making eye contact with the leader. Himchan put on the clothes that Jongup handed over to him and continued his report. “They ambushed her in the parking lot. She put up a decent fight, for a human.”

 

“.” Yongguk cursed, grabbing his hair in his hands.

 

“What are we going to do?” Jongup asked, looking between the older boys and Zelo.

 

“Obviously we have to save her.” The youngest chimed in, ready to go at a moment’s notice.

 

“No, obviously it’s a trap and we shouldn’t get involved.” Himchan snapped back, glancing at Yongguk as he did so.

 

“Just because you hate her doesn’t mean it’s a-” Zelo began to argue.

 

“It’s not that I hate her. I just don’t trust her. What if she’s a spy?”

 

“Why would they kidnap their own spy?”

 

Himchan scoffed and took a step closer, ready to get into it with the young Matoki when Yongguk held a hand up to silence them. “Shut up.”

 

Suddenly footfalls could be heard approaching from the south and the group turned to see a white-eyed blonde wolf and yellow-eyed brown fox come running up to the house. Daehyun and Youngjae stumbled into their human forms, laboring to catch their breath.

 

“Report.” Yongguk commanded, anxiety constricting his chest.

 

“We found their hideout. And watched them drive up in a big SUV. Hyung… They… They had her with them.” Daehyun said, nervously watching the eldest man’s face as he put on the clothes Jongup had also brought for them.

 

“I already know about that part.” Yongguk nodded toward Himchan before continuing. “He came back just a few moments ago.”

 

“So now what?” Youngjae asked, fully clothed as well.

 

Yongguk looked around at the group before looking up at the night sky. There was no moon, but the stars were shining brightly. You probably would have come up and stargazed with him on a normal night. He sighed and met everyone’s gazes once again. “I’m going after her. I’m not going to make you all come, though. I know this is probably a trap.”

 

“I’m in.” Zelo stated immediately.

 

“Same.” Daehyun said, stepping forward with Youngjae following close behind in agreement.

 

“Why not? I’ll help out.” Jongup said with a grin before turning and going inside.

 

Himchan was silent as he studied his leader for a few moments. “Ugh, fine. I’ll help. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

 

Yongguk smiled at his friend gratefully before running into the house and up the stairs to his room. He pulled a box from under his bed and knelt in front of it. Upon opening it, he quickly grabbed the belt inside and slid it through the belt loops of his jeans, stopping to string on the various knife sheaths and gun holster that were also inside. He stood up and left, running back downstairs to find the others similarly armed and ready to go. After grabbing his jacket off of the table, Yongguk led the way outside to the truck. He got in the driver’s side while the rest of the group filed in, serious looks on each of their faces.

 

“Head south along the main highway. There’s a driveway about fifteen miles from here that will lead us right up to their hideout.” Youngjae informed the eldest from his place in the back. Yongguk merely nodded and threw the car into drive, speeding along the pavement with his thoughts only on you.

******

“Turn here.” Youngjae said, pointing out of the front windshield to an upcoming side road. Yongguk followed the directions and the car fell silent again.

 

After a few more minutes another boy spoke up. “You should probably park right about here.” Daehyun said. The car slowed and eventually stopped. Yongguk put it in park before turning to look at the group. A plan had been formulating the entire drive over and it was time to put it into action.

 

“Himchan and Jongup, I want you two to stay here and be ready to drive off the second we get back.”

 

“Fine by me.” Himchan said, grabbing the car keys and twirling them around his fingers. Jongup nodded, willing to go along with whatever.

 

“The rest of you are with me. Let’s go.” Yongguk got out and everyone else followed while Himchan slid over to the driver’s seat and Jongup sat back in his chair, looking out the window.

 

The four boys crouched down, creeping toward the hideout until it came into view. It was actually just a small, one story house. It was dark, but Yongguk knew that meant nothing. There were likely Satoki members patrolling the perimeter as they sat there. “Alright… Youngjae and Daehyun. I want you two to go around back and create a distraction. The louder and more destructive, the better. Zelo, you and I are knocking down the front door.”

 

Daehyun grinned mischievously with Youngjae before the two nodded and slinked away into the darkness. Now the two boys just had to wait for their opening. After a grueling five minutes, there was a loud boom and fireworks were suddenly going off behind the house. Lights came on inside and the front door opened. People spilled out, looking for the source of the mayhem and following the sights and sounds around to the back of the house. Yongguk nodded to Zelo and the two took the opportunity to rush forward.

 

At the front door they paused. It was still open and fireworks were still exploding. Yongguk glanced at his friend before looking into the front room and stepping inside. He led the way and they were nearly to the next hallway when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye.

 

“Get down!” He pushed Zelo away roughly so that the boy fell behind the couch as gunshots rang out. They flew past Yongguk as he rolled to the side and hid in a corner. He got up on one knee, aimed, and shot the attacker dead between the eyes. Another man came in and Yongguk rushed forward from around corner and grabbed his wrist. Using the Satoki man as a shield, he continued moving forward, shooting any others that came in to stop him. When no more came, he finally shot his struggling hostage.

 

The room was silent once again. The boys cautiously looked around before standing up.

 

“You okay?” Yongguk whispered.

 

“Fine. Thanks for the push.” Zelo smiled shyly before looking at the bullet holes in the wall behind them.

 

Suddenly a scream could be heard from down the hall. Yongguk knew that voice. It was your voice. He turned and ran down the hall with Zelo close on his heels as his heart raced and his pulse pounded in his ears.

☆★☆★☆★

Author's Note: Hi guys! This is my birthday update! :O Happy birthday to me~
I hope you're liking the story so far. It's getting pretty intense lol