Awakened by Day

★☆Among the Stars☆★

Yongguk stood in his room, staring at the sleeping girl on his bed. Youngjae had done his best, using their Matoki medicine to heal the cuts on your skin.

 

“Hyung, she'll be okay.” Youngjae said, standing next to his leader. Yongguk just nodded absent mindedly. “Can I tend to your wound yet?”

 

“My what?” Yongguk tore his eyes away from you to look at Youngjae, who pointed to the older boy's right shoulder. There was a bullet embedded in his bicep that Yongguk was only now starting to feel. Matokis had a high pain tolerance, much higher than humans, but he hadn't even felt it. “When did that happen?”

 

“When you pushed me down in the house.” Zelo said, coming in to stand in the doorway with Himchan behind him.

 

“Oh… I didn't notice.” Yongguk’s eyebrows furrowed as he tried to remember.

 

“Your mind was a little preoccupied.” Himchan said with a small smile before looking over at you. “How's she doing?”

 

“She'll be fine, she just needs rest.” Youngjae said as he started to inspect Yongguk’s arm. “Why do you care though? I thought you hated her.”

 

Himchan’s face scrunched up a little as he looked away, throwing his hands up slightly. “I don't hate her! I never did. When I first saw her I actually thought she was really cute.” He explained in exasperation. “But someone had to try to make you understand how dangerous it was for her to be around us. No one seemed to care that she could give us away or that it could be dangerous for us.”

 

Yongguk stared at his friend, surprised that he would go to such great lengths to try to keep the group safe. He opened his mouth to thank him, when there was suddenly an unpleasant tugging sensation in his arm. Yongguk grimaced and looked down to see Youngjae pulling a bullet out with a pair of forceps. The bleeding had stopped long ago so now there was just the hole in his arm.

 

Yongguk looked back at you and sighed, knowing Himchan was right. But he couldn't just let you go. Something about you pulled him in and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

 

“It's almost dawn you guys.” Jongup came to the door, looking in to see what was going on. Everyone looked out the window and noticed the brightening of the sky.

 

“You all go rest, I'm going to stay here and keep an eye on her.” Yongguk said, looking around at his friends.

 

Daehyun came in as well, a concerned expression on his face. “Will you be okay?”

 

“I've been practicing,” the eldest replied with a small smile. “I should be fine. Thank you for your help tonight guys. Really.” Yongguk looked each of them in the eyes, sincere gratitude in his gaze.

 

“Alright, kids, let's go.” Himchan said with a grin, pulling the boys with him.

 

“Bye hyung~” Zelo waved with a yawn before walking down the hall to his room. The others waved and left as Youngjae finished tying some gauze around Yongguk’s wound.

 

“With your healing speed, you should be able to use the arm by tonight. Just don't push yourself too hard.” The brown haired boy said with a smile. Yongguk nodded and was left alone with you.

 

He pulled a chair up next to the bed and sat. Yongguk looked at you for a long moment, taking in the bruises and cuts on your face. He just wanted to keep you safe. He closed his eyes and rubbed his face with his hands. He sat there like that as the sun rose, light filtering in through the curtains on the window. His body started to tingle, but he resisted. He wanted to stay in this form as long as he could.

******

You moaned, opening your eyes and blinking rapidly. Everything hurt, but you were alive. You turned your head to the side, finding Yongguk right there, holding your hand and watching you with bright red eyes.

 

He brought your hand up to his lips and kissed it gently. “Hey…” You looked at the hand he was holding, surprised that the cuts you had there were already healing.

 

“Hey.. What happened?” You asked, moving slowly to sit up.

 

“Careful, don't move too fast.” He said, helping you up. “Youngjae put some medicine on you to help you heal. Unfortunately it doesn't work on bruises, just cuts and things like that.” Yongguk said as he brought a hand up and softly your face.

 

Everything that had happened came flooding back all at once. A thought occurred to you, making your heart sink. What if this was a dream? For all you knew, this could be some kind of Satoki torture. You could still be back in the cold room, having never been saved by this amazing man. You shivered and looked up, staring into his eyes and getting lost in them easily.

 

You closed your eyes, breathing deeply. This was too good to be true. You took your hand from his and covered your face with both hands. “Wake up, wake up…” You rocked back and forth, tears forming in the corners of your eyes.

 

“Wake up? Yah, you're not asleep.” He said, trying to pull your hands away gently.

 

You shook your head as fear started to really take hold of your heart and your breathing sped up. “This is a dream. It's too good to be true. You're not really here.” Despite your best efforts, your voice cracked and tears spilled over.

 

Yongguk watched you break down in front of him, guilt eating at him. It was his fault that you had gone through all of this pain. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair before standing up and picking you up easily. You let out a tiny yelp, the feeling of his arms securely around you making you look up. Yongguk turned and sat on the bed, pulling you into his lap. He pulled the blankets up around the two of you and held you tightly, rocking from side to side slowly. He whispered words of encouragement against your hair as you trembled in his arms.

 

“I’m really here, it’s going to be okay.” He told you over and over, unsure of what else to say. You clung to him until you cried yourself out and your heart slowed down.

 

Eventually you calmed down enough and pulled away to look at him. He gave you a small smile. “Better?”

 

You nodded shyly, slightly embarrassed. You still couldn’t believe this was real, but you might as well enjoy it while you could. You blinked, tilting your head to the side as you watched him. “Why are your eyes red?”

 

He blinked in return before replying with a low chuckle. “That’s the first question you have?” He leaned in and kissed your cheek before giving you an actual answer. “During the day, your Sun is brighter than ours and gives off different radiation than ours. In our animal forms, our fur has special properties that shield us from those kinds of things. So we usually change into that. We’ve gotten into the habit of doing so for so long that it’s just second nature now.” You nodded to show your understanding before he continued. “After I first met you, I began practicing staying in this form during the day instead. The others thought I was crazy, but I wanted to be able to be with you…”

 

You looked up into his eyes to find him watching you. You reached up and caressed his cheek, his tense facial features smoothing out under your touch. “You didn’t have to do that for me…”

 

“I wanted to because… I..” He blushed, glancing around before locking his eyes back onto your own. “I think I love you.”

 

You stopped breathing, your eyes growing wider. His words echoed in your mind as you moved your hands to the side of his face. You brought your lips down on his, kissing him passionately as your heart felt like bursting. He moaned against your lips, kissing you back eagerly.

 

After several minutes, you pulled away, your eyes still closed. You opened them to find him watching you again. You blushed and your lips. You noticed his eyes flash down to your lips before returning back to meet your gaze. “I love you, too, Yongguk.” You whispered, happiness filling your chest.

 

Yongguk smiled back at you brilliantly, showing his gums and everything before bringing his lips back to your own. You kissed him back, your hands tangling in his hair as your tongue slipped into his mouth. His hands moved up and down your sides before resting on your hips.

 

“Ahem.” A voice sounded from the doorway, making the two of you break apart quickly and look around. Himchan was leaning against the doorframe with pink eyes and a grin on his face. “Shouldn’t the wounded people be resting, not kissing each other’s faces off?”

 

You blushed deeply, taking your arms from around Yongguk’s neck. You were weary of this Matoki, knowing he hated you didn’t help your comfort levels. He seemed to pick up on that and smiled again, more gently this time.

 

“I just wanted to check to see if you guys needed anything.”

 

“Nah, I think we’re good.” Yongguk replied with a grin.

 

“Alright, well I’m going to make ramen for dinner tonight. I’ll call you when it’s done.” Himchan said, smiling at the two of you before pushing off of the doorframe and heading down the hallway.

 

“He was being awfully nice…” You muttered, suspicion in your voice as you stared at the doorway.

 

Yongguk squeezed you gently, nuzzling his face against your neck. “Himchan is a complex guy. He means well.”

 

“Hmmm…” You sighed, turning your attention back to the man sitting with you. You reached out your hand, touching his chest lightly. “You’re really here, right?” You couldn’t bring your eyes up to meet his.

 

He grabbed your hand and brought it up to his lips, repeating the gesture he had done the moment you woke up. After kissing it lightly, he smiled and reached his hand out to tilt your face up. “Yes, pabo. I’m really here. Let’s go get some food, hm? You’ve been asleep most of the day and the other guys will want to see how you’re doing.”

 

You nodded and slowly got up, feeling sore. You moaned and stretched, suddenly realizing you were wearing a big black t-shirt and basketball shorts. “Are these your clothes?” You asked Yongguk, confused.

 

He smirked, putting his hands on your hips and looking you up and down and his lips. “Yeah, though they look better on you. Yours were kinda ruined.”

 

“Thank you for saving me, Yongguk…” You said, standing on your tiptoes to kiss him. He grinned and kissed you back, his hands pulling your body flush with his own.

 

He pulled away first, taking both of your hands in his own, rubbing the backs with his thumbs. “Anytime.” He said with soft smile, his eyes turning into little crescent moons. “Come on, let’s go bug Himchan.” He pulled you along into the hallway and you followed him with a smile of your own.

☆★☆★☆★

A/N: THE GIF FOR THIS CHAPTER IS SO PRECIOUS OMG
Anyway, I wanted to get this chapter out before 'Rose' comes out because I know I'll be too busy spazzing to write anything coherently.