Eight

When Two Poles Meet

          It was a hill. 

         

         With a leveled top.

 

          And it was grassy.

 

           It was as comfortable as Hayi's mossy, damp lawn. Isn't it? Her company was a lot better than before.

          Is it really a hill? Hayi felt like she climbed a mountain. Yes, it was tiring. But the view, it was so elevated that the city lights were dancing right infront of her eyes. 

          The sun has set, and the glimmering beauty of the night shimmered. The moonlight was so soft and lucid, the air was sharp and snappy. The grass was soft yet it was poking edgy against her shivery skin.

          "It would be better with some beer and chips." Hanbin spoke, and a sound of rustling plastic bag echoed through the silence.

          "Just right! I was starving." Hayi was standing almost at the edge, staring at the horizon like she was having it memorized with her eyes. She walked to where Hanbin was, just a few feet behind her, sitting and propped down with two small bags of chips resting between his thighs.

          "There's no beer, just chips." He was sitting with his ankles crossed, and his hands behind him for support. It was a dim night, but the faint glow of the moonlight flaunted Hanbin's free hair, dancing like the waves they met before.

          "Just chips, then."

          He tapped the space on his left, and Hayi followed. The soil was cold, yet it feels relaxing to touch. 

          For long, they sat there. Enjoying the sound of nature, nothing but gusts of wind and rustling leaves. The city is below them, yet the stillness and serenity of the place dominates. 

 

          It was supposed to be time away from insanity. Away. Free of thoughts, free of poisonous rambles.

   

          Yet Hanbin has this cloud of worry and overthinking, following him at his feet, storms getting stronger and stronger by the minute. 

   

          It's there with him, starting with mists of worry drizzles of fear, then storms of everything. 

   

 

          "You're lost in your thoughts." She nudged him lightly. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

"Huh?" 

          "Nothing. You seem like someone whose soul left his body." She chewed on the chips, noisy as she tried to muffle it inside .

          Hanbin chuckled, "I can't help but think of things, you know."

   

          "That's true. It's like…" Her voice trailed off, as if she's about to say the most ruthless words. "Like you're waking up. A new day, new morning."

          Hayi sighed, and along with it, the stars were twinkling bright, "but the ghost of yesterday is still haunting you, still torturing you."

         "Yeah, you'll just think about things. One moment you're happy, next moment you're down." Hanbin smiled as he spoke, a crestfallen smile. He inhaled and the evening breeze hogged up his personal space. 

          "We're not supposed to be too emotional right here, right now, are we?" Hayi broke the mood, "This place already calls for a bawling, though."

          He nodded. "I just want to forget thinking for a while, but you're right. This place just pulls your emotions out."

     

          Hayi closed her eyes, feeling the breeze. Hanbin did the same thing. With Hayi's arms feeling all numb from supporting her body, she brushed off the surface, as if a mound of soil would get any cleaner.

          "Isn't it just a little upsetting? So much can change in a snap," Hanbin played with the grass, between his fingers and along his neat nails. "One second it's that, then it all snapped."

          Hanbin continued speaking. He was feeling the moment when it was all chilly and gloomy. "I often think about what I did wrong. Where did I went wrong, when and how. It's just a little suffocating. I did not choose to feel this way." 

          "Hmm," she tried to define the constellations, drawing lines with her fingers. There she found, Orion's Belt. "Change is inevitable. I change, you change, people change. It has been a long time. Your brain is about to go haywire, Hanbin."

 

          "You're too poetic and honest, it's making me feel more sullen." He complained. He watched Hayi draw lines in the air, and looked up to the sky to see what she was tracing. "What do you see?"

          "I think it's Orion's belt right there. What would you prefer? Would you rather prefer I'd not talk at all?" 

          He hummed, a low chuckle. "That's the easiest constellation to spot. And I'm certainly sure I do not mean it in a bad way. Poetry and honesty goes well together."

          "Whatever. Look who's even more emotional?" 

          "Shut up, kid." Hanbin laughed when Hayi threw mounds of freshly-picked grass. Seeing him having fun teasing her, she threw more until Hanbin tried to stop her with his hands. 

         "You know, I drove around because I wanted to be alone, but I'm still a little thankful I met you along." Hayi felt Hanbin's stare as he spoke softly and tenderly. 

 

          "Just a little?"

          "Yes, a little." 

          "Really, a little?"

          "Fine, I am SO glad I met you. Happy?"

          She chortled and patted his shoulder, "You know, being alone sometimes is okay, but as much as possible, find someone to lean on. Okay?"

          "Yeah, but that someone already dumped me. Sad."

 

"I-"

          She punched him lightly on his thighs, "You know that's not what I meant."

          "Chill, okay. Of course, I'd come looking for you if you want."

          "Well then, good luck on finding me?"

 

 Titters, Hanbin nodded, "Good luck on finding you."

 


Change, isn't it a scary word? Is it? Is growing up something you need to fear? Is change something you have to fear?