Six

When Two Poles Meet

          "You're welcome. Cheer up!"

 

          It wasn't a really helpful one, cheer up. Easier said than done, right? But when Hanbin said it, everything felt at ease. Had it not been her family issues, would Hayi even meet Hanbin? In other situations, probably? Hayi may have lost her parents, but she found a friend. 

 

          "So, we've been on the road too long, and where do you plan on taking me?" With that, Hanbin let out a soft laugh. "You're making it sound like I'm kidnapping you." 

 

          "Did I?" Hayi blushed, appreciating Hanbin's effort to at least make her smile. 

 

          "I know a nice place around this area. I'll bring you there, I'm sure you'll like it." Hanbin spoke a little too fast, making Hayi scoff at him. "Why are you speaking like that?

 

          "I'm excited. I haven't been there in a million years!" 

 

          "How many times have you been there?" Hayi asked, questioning Hanbin's excitement. "Two?" Hanbin answered. His tone sounds like 'maybe?'

 

          "Fine, I've been there once. I think it was a few years ago." 

 

          Hayi chuckled, amused. "Once? You've been there once, and you get all excited like that?" 

 

          Hanbin frowned. "You'll know when we get there. " 

 

          The sun has gone down, and the road was lit by faint lamppposts and street lights. Hayi, she was wondering how far do they still have to drive, because she was getting sleepy. Hanbin's car was so comfortable; it was chilly yet warm at the same time. Being there inside the moving car, with a new found friend, she thought: my life is turned upside-down, but I guess, moments like these keeps my feet balanced.

 

          Hanbin, with his left hand on the steering wheel, stretched his right arm and waved his hands infront of Hayi's face. "Are you sleeping? Don't sleep." 

 

          "Yes, I'm sleeping. This is me, sleeptalking." Hayi tilted her head and reclined her chair. "Dummy. I'm not sleeping." 

 

          "Don't sleep, alright? Don't sleep."

 

          "Why?" Hayi asked with her eyes closed. "What if I'm really sleepy?"

 

          "Pinch yourself, just don't sleep. If you sleep, I'll get sleepy too." 

 

          "You are so weird." Hayi teased. Muttering words under her breath, she took out her phone and scrolled through her playlist. What would be a good song for this night? 
 

 

          "I don't care if you hate radios, but for the sake of us not falling asleep, I'll plug in my phone." Hayi connected her phone with the cord, and debated whatever song she could pick. Not being able to find the right feel, she clicked on shuffle. 

 

          "Go on." 

 

     Drink up baby, stay up all night

     

    "Really? And that song is supposed to keep you up?"

 

          Hayi opened to sing along. Hanbin kept on looking over Hayi, entertained by her singing. 

     Drink up with me now
     And forget all about
     The pressure of days
     Do what I say
     And I'll make you okay
     And drive them away
     The images stuck in your head

 

          "What's your favorite song, Hanbin?" She paused singing and asked him a question. Hanbin took a moment to answer because he didn't know. He listens to a lot of songs, but there's not one thing he calls his favorite. "Not unless you tell me your name first." 

 

          "It's Hi. Now tell me, what's your kind of songs?

 

          "Hi? Hi? Hello?"

 

          "Hi. If you don't answer me, I'll blast the PPAP music here." Hayi jokingly threatened, which made Hanbin laugh. "PPAP isn't that bad. Have you listened to the trap version of that song?" 

 

          "Dude, that's old and disgusting."

 

          Hanbin made random gestures. Leaving his hand up in the air, he answered, "I don't really have a favorite."

 

          "Well, if you don't listen to the radio, it just makes sense you're not familiar with the latest music. But any song you love singing along to?" 

 

          Hayi was scrolling through her endless playlist. She was choosing the next song, while 'Between the Bars' was still playing.

 

     The people you've been before

 

          Hanbin hummed, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. His left elbow was propped against the windowsill. His left hands were scratching his nape. Hayi noticed he does it a lot, scratching the back of his neck. 

 

     That push and shove and won't bend to your will

 

          "Ah, I remembered one. I've got it from the radio few years back," He tilted his head towards Hayi, "yes, I listen to the radio sometimes."

 

     I'll keep them still

 

          "It's by Mayday Parade. "

 

          She nodded and shook her head afterwards. "Never heard." 

 

          "I swear this time I mean it. Search it up."

 

          "What?"

 

          "I swear this time I mean it. That's the title."

 

          "Now that's a long title."

 

          He tapped her shoulders, something he always do when he's excited talking about something. "Play it."

 

          The distant yet familar hum of the guitar echoed throughout the air. Hayi was comfortably nodding with the rhythm. The guitar humming was soon replaced by the warm voice of the singer. The song is so mellow, so sweet, so perfect. Or so Hayi thought. 

      Oh Florida, please be still tonight
     Don't disturb this love of mine
     Look how she's so serene
     You've gotta help me out

 

          Hanbin, with his raspy, low voice, sang with the singer. Hayi wanted to laugh; his voice definitely did not match with the song. But Hayi could feel sincerity by the way Hanbin sings.The way he sings, it's as if it's his last song, overflowing with an unusual warmth and sincerity. Hayi was in awe... Just how mouch emotion could a single song convey? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands? Probably more than what humanity could feel.

 

     So I'll sing a melody
     And hope to God she's listening

 

And just like that, swift but sweet, the song ended. "How did you like the song?" Hanbin asked, his voice mellow but steady.

 

          Instead of answering, Hayi smiled. How else would she put it? It's as if the song is recommending a person. Just like books... 

 

          "I'm glad you liked it." Hanbin steered through the steep roads uphill.

 

          "Are we there yet?"

 

          "Just a little more, it's right there on top of the hill." 

 

          "I see."

 

     "So," her voice was brittle, almost inaudible, "Tell me about yourself."

 

          Hanbin looked over, "Myself?"

 

          "Yes, and this infamous someone who broke your heart."

 

          Involuntarily, which actually shouldn't at all be done, Hanbin smiled to himself. All the things he came to like about Jennie, everything Jennie is, every memory he has about her, came rushing back to his discordant mind. After all that has happened, Hanbin's mind is still filled with the lovely Jennie he knew. The bright, lovely and cheerful Jennie. 

 

         Maybe that's what love really is. Everything is perfection. You can never find faults, because that's just how love is.

 

          He could recall everything about her. Her hair that smells like vanilla, her silky hand who never gets tired of holding his, her penmanship that looks like it came out of Jane Austen's notebook; everything was about her. 

 

       "My beautiful Jennie." Hayi laughed, not because it was too cheesy, but it was too corny. I guess that's what love is about.

Endless adorn for the person you love.


♫ Playlist 

○ Elliott Smith's Between The Bars

○ Mayday Parade's I Swear This Time I Mean It