Five

When Two Poles Meet


         


          Hanbin's car was more neat than expected. Usually (because that's what she sees) guys' car would be shiny and clean outside and kind of messy inside, but Hayi was wrong. The only thing out of place was the can of Heineken left by the dashboard.

         The leather smell of the seat was still very strong, but there was a subtle smell of lavender and mint. See, he has that soft side. 

          "So, kid, where to?" His right hand was resting on the steering wheel. He was facing Hayi, waiting for her answer.

         "How many times do I have to say this: I am not a kid."

          "You might want to put on your seatbelt." His fingers were tapping against the steering wheel. 

          "I don't have the slightest idea where to go. Honestly, I don't know how to get home from here." which was true. She was spaced-out the whole time the bus was moving, and didn't even have the slightest idea where in the land of Korea she's stepping on right now. One thing for sure, she wasn't in Seoul. Seoul does not look like this, not that Seoul is ugly, but this place was indeed prettier than the usual Seoul.

          If it weren't for Hanbin, I probably wouldn't be home until three days, because I did not even have my phone charger with me. 

          "That only implies one thing sure," he was adjusting the rear-view mirrors, wiping off his thumbprints too. "You are a kid."

          "If I can't stop you from calling me that, then, I guess I'd let myself lose." She rolled her eyes and leaned against the headrest. "Is this your car?"

          "Hmm, a gift from Dad."

          "And look at that," she reached for the empty Heineken can. It was slightly dented, looks like someone held it too tight. "A can of no-no drink inside a car. You aren't drunk, are you?"

          "No, of course not. I've had enough air by the beach and I'm perfectly sober." 

          He started driving, and really slowly. It's making Hayi dizzy and a little bit carsick. "Speed up a little, Hanbin. You can also get tickets for driving too slow."

          "Relax, we're not yet on the highway." Hanbin spoke, but his eyes were straight on the road. 

          "Are you a novice driver?" She was frantically waving her hands off, "Ah, just go a little faster, it's making me dizzy." 

          "Okay, okay. I drove slowly because I thought you wouldn't like speed. Geez, okay."

          He was driving at a moderate speed, his eyes straight on the road. Hayi was sitting a little stiff on his right, with her hands firmly resting together on her lap. She's watching outside the windows. They still haven't got that far, and the beach was still there and a bit of the sun was still seen by the bay. 

          Trees were standing firm, and leaves were following the direction of the wind. It was all what Hayi's trying to notice, because she's obviously uncomfortable with the silence. She shifted and shifted on her seat, perfecting the most comfortable position.

          Reaching for the radio button, she lightly asked, "Maybe we could turn on the radio and look for the right statio-"

          "No, no, leave it off. I do not like having the radio open." Hayi pulled back her hand, and sat back on her seat. "Oh, I guess I should just shut up and sit down."

          "I said I did not like the radio, but I wouldn't mind you talking." Hanbin turned his head towards Hayi for short glances, undeniably checking if she's okay.

          "Funny, because I'm not really the talker type, and the radio announcer definitely has a better voice  than me." 

          "Well, not really, but you can just talk about anything." 

          "Anything. What's up with anything? Everyone just wants to talk about anything." Hayi hissed. Hanbin took a glance towards Hayi, checking if she was serious, or uncomfortable.

          "Very funny. Where did you get your jokes?"

          Hayi glared at Hanbin, who just laughed it off. She isn't mad, and so she smiled too. 

          And if you're alone in your car with a pin drop silence, I'm sure you'll love it. Silence all by yourself, of course, a time anyone would wish to have. On car rides, especially. It makes it more overly dramatic. It would be extremely dramatic with the rain, but it's the middle of the summer.

          But if you're with someone else, and more than that, a stranger, you'd feel awkward. No, Hanbin trusts, at least trusts Hayi, and he's sure Hayi is fine with him around her too. No words, but it was really an awkward silence. What else can Hayi talk about? Her life isn't particularly interesting, either. Sure, a family drama is interesting, but not at all entertaining especially inside moving cars.

          "Why are your parents fighting?" Hayi twisted her head to her left, to find Hanbin looking back and forth at her and the road. "I mean, if you don't mind me asking."

          "Dad has another woman. I never thought he would be able to do that to Mom." 

          "My parents are divorced, too." This made Hayi a little surprised. Hanbin doesn't look like he'd come from a broken family too, and it's certainly not obvious too that he'll come from a well-off, warm family. No offense, Hayi does not mean to stereotype.

          "Really?  Ah, I'm sorry to hear that." 

          Hanbin shushed, and rested his palm on his lap. He looks really carefree while driving, Hayi thought. 

          "No worries, it was a long time ago. Seven years, I think." 

          "How did you manage to handle it? Because…" Hayi sighed, thinking if she should really say it. She feels as if keeping her parents together is her responsibility. 

          "Because?" 

          "I don't know. I really think I can't handle it at all. I'm barely hanging there, like I'm on a weak thread." Unconsciously, Hayi sniffed. What, she's not crying, but she feels like crying. 

          "You know, you just said it. You think. Hundred percent sure you'll handle it better than I did." Hayi smiled at his words. At least, that would be a little comforting.

 

"You sound optimistic when earlier, you were crying all over your love life." Hayi tried to break off the mood by teasing him.

          Hanbin chuckled and put back his hands on the steering wheel, "that was a different matter. This is a different one."

          "You know what my Mom said? I remember it verbatim." With that, Hanbin hummed, waiting for Hayi to continue. "She said this: you should have keep a closer look on your Dad! It's your fault he's gone from us!" 

          "I tried, I tried not to be mad, because I know Mom is handling it way heavier than me and my sister does." Hayi continues. 

          Hanbin sure didn't know what to say. And so, he stayed silent. He hopes Hayi would feel a little better even though he's not talking. Simply venting it all out will help, wouldn't it? 

          "How did you," Hayi sighed again, "get over it?" It was a question she's asking herself all the time. How am I going to handle this?

          "I never got over it. Not ever, honestly."

         He turned his head to Hayi, because he was expecting a reply. But she didn't, and ao he continued talking. "I just… get used to it, I suppose. I came to terms with it, as I grew older."

          "I wish I could do that now, too. I cannot breathe, and they were… They were always sniping at each other." Hayi was fumbling with her hands as she spoke. Hanbin noticed.

          "My parents were like that too, and I hated myself because I was a little thankful about their divorce." 

          She craned her head towards Hanbin, who was still looking straight at the road. "What?"

          "I mean, it got a little less noisy, but it was painful to see my Mom cry, you know." 

          "Of course, you would suffer with it too, but I've realized that my parents' life isn't my life. A little bit selfish, but I thought their misery shouldn't be carried upon by me." Hanbin continued. He isn't sure if he's saying the right things, but it's all what he felt and experienced. "You'd eventually get on with it, with your life. I was a child back then, I couldn't do anything about it, so might as well go on with my own life. You too, should realize that. But of course, I still love them dearly, more than anyone else. They're my folks." Hayi nodded as he spoke.

          "You handled it, pretty well, didn't you?" She was wiping her tears, as she can't help but let it all fall. 

          "I didn't handle it all exactly well. It affected me greater than I thought. What could I do? Parents are supposed to be there when you're growing up, I was a lost kid. For a year, I practically slept in the courthouse. I lived with my Mom because she got the house. I got my first piercing that time too, I tried to drink then but I couldn't. I couldn't buy drinks." He tried to add a little bit humor because he knew Hayi was crying. She's making muffled sounds, and she's trying to contain all her snot up her nose. Hanbin clicked open the dashboard cabinet and Hayi took the tissue box inside.

          Honestly, Hayi was taking it a whole lot better than he did. Because during that time, he didn't have anyone to talk to. 

          "You'll get used to it, you're an adult. You can handle it better than I did, because you're an adult. You're way better than a kid," he's pertaining to himself, Hayi noticed. "Better than an innocent kid who doesn't have anyone to talk to."
  
          "Hanbin?" 

          "Yeah?"

 



"Thank you."

Hanbin smiled, he can't help but smile. "You're welcome. Cheer up. "



Comfort is...? What is comfort for you?