A Kiss at Midnight

Minahyo Stories

“I miss you,” Jihyo says softly as she leans her body against the kitchen counter, a small pout on her face as she watches her friends gathered around and having fun. It’s New Year’s and the younger girl is missing, currently spending her final moments of the year with her family in Japan. “I miss you too,” Mina replies and Jihyo can imagine the younger girl with a small smile on her face, causing her pout to fade away and form into a smile of her own. “How are your parents?” The older girl asks as she giggles softly at the sight of Nayeon stumbling into Jeongyeon’s arms.

“They’re good, they said they miss you and that they want you to visit again.” Jihyo’s smile grows at the reply, memories of time spent with Mina’s family appearing in her head, “Tell them I miss them too and that I’ll visit soon.” The younger girl smiles at the thought of Jihyo with her parents, “I’ll be sure to tell them.” Jihyo turns her head to the clock on the wall, her pout returning as she notices that there are only a few more minutes left until the New Year and that the younger girl is in another country.

"I'm sad that we can't have our New Year's kiss," Mina laughs softly as she imagines Jihyo with a pout on her face, trying to look upset but only looking adorable. What the older girl doesn't know is that Mina has been watching her from behind, waiting for the right moment to surprise her. Initially she had planned to ring in the New Year with her family but she had missed the older girl too much and with some convincing from her parents, Mina bought a ticket back to Korea so she could spend it with the older girl. 

“Well you won’t be sad for much longer,” The younger girl smiles as she watches Jihyo with a grin. “What do you mean?” the older girl replies, tilting her head in confusion at Mina’s words. “Look behind you,” Jihyo turns around slowly, eyes widening as opens slightly in surprise, her girlfriend is standing in front of her with a grin. The older girl ends the call before running towards Mina with lightening speed and wrapping her arms tightly around the younger girl’s neck.

“I missed you,” Jihyo repeats once more as she buries her head in Mina’s neck, breathing in the familiar scent that she had missed these past few days. A soft laugh escapes Mina’s lips as she wraps her arms tightly around the older girl’s waist, “I missed you too,” she replies as she pulls her head away to look Jihyo in the eyes.

The older girl presses her forehead against the younger girls, a small smile on her face as she tries to relish in the fact that Mina was in her arms. "I thought you were spending New Year's with your family," Jihyo says quietly after a moment, "I was but I missed you so much that my parents convinced me to come back and surprise you." The younger girl replies before placing a tender kiss on Jihyo's cheek, lips lingering for a moment until she pulls away slowly, pressing their foreheads together once again. 

Jihyo closes her eyes as a sigh of content escapes her lips; the both of them stay in each other’s arms, taking comfort in each other as the last few minutes of 2016 pass by. That is until they hear Nayeon screaming "It's the countdown everyone," in the background, causing their moment to be ruined. Mina giggles as she turns her head to find Nayeon and the rest of their friends jumping around as they begin to count down to the New Year.

The older girl gazes softly at the younger girl, lips forming into a smile as her eyes trace Mina's features slowly, "Let's continue to live happily.' Jihyo's smile grows wider as Mina turns to look back at her, holding a smile of her own as she nods in response, "I love you babe, Happy New Year." The younger girl speaks softly and as soon as she hears their friends beginning to shout “Happy New Year” does she lean in quickly and capture Jihyo's soft lips with her own. 

Mina tightens her hold on the older girl, softly as she feels Jihyo's fingers run through her hair gently, the younger girl bites the older girl's bottom lip gently causing Jihyo to gasp in response and allowing for Mina to deepen the kiss. They continue for a few more minutes before Jihyo pulls away with a wide smile, “Happy New Year,” she places a soft kiss on Mina’s nose causing the girl to scrunch her nose adorably in response.

A soft laugh escapes Jihyo’s lips as she gazes at the younger girl before quickly kissing Mina on the lips. The two lock eyes and Jihyo continues to gaze at the younger girl, after a couple of seconds Mina looks away with a blush on her face. “You’re adorable,” Jihyo laughs softly as she notices the younger girl’s cheeks darkening even more. “We should join the others,” Mina says, hoping to change the subject as she unlinks her arms from around Jihyo’s waist, intertwining their fingers as she drags her towards the rest of their friends.


Happy New Year everyone!