007

11:11 (Dear Baekhyun)

007

There was nothing special about second year. I waited a year to make Baekhyun realize that I was the one for him, but days passed until finally, we were now uncertain if we were going to make it to third year.

Unlike my first year in college, second year was something that I cannot remember anything about. Except those few moments where Baekhyun would tell me to tutor him in Physics or even Statistics. We texted day and night, we met once in a while but I must admit, I couldn’t remember it all.

The end of second year meant the start of hell day in our school, it was the time where fate tells you if you’d be able to graduate at the school you worked your off for about two years or you choose another school where you could continue your so-called path to your profession.

Quota was the dreaded topic when you reached second year. I had to push harder and aim higher to be able to get through. Teachers are beginning to start counseling all students that if ever one could not pass through quota, it was still not the end of their dreams. I thought not. For me, we were too young to experience that kind of rejection, but still, we chose to continue on all throughout second year. We have to face it no matter what.

When I was at home and Jinhee told me that cards are already being released, I asked my parents if I could go on my own to get it.

While on the bus, I held my mother’s rosary tightly in my hands. I’m beginning to tremble because our professor in Calculus was never lenient, and if ever he failed me in that subject, then my dream of becoming a doctor would just go down the drain. Plus, I feared rejection so much that if I ever failed in that subject, I would rather just die. I constantly prayed until I felt my phone vibrating in my bag.

I never thought of Baekhyun all throughout that day until I saw who sent me the message and I think you know who I meant.

“Where are you? Let’s get our report cards together, ok?” My hands trembled and I almost dropped my phone as I keyed in, “Sure.”

When I reached school, the rosary was still in my hands as I saw Baekhyun and we made our way through the line. In my head there was only one prayer that had been going on and on, and how strangely enough, that even at this situation, I was still able to think of his wellbeing. My constant prayer that day was, “Please let me pass all my subjects, and Baekhyun’s as well. Please pass us, and if I wasn’t able to pass it all, please make it sure that Baekhyun makes it to the quota.” I repeated that same prayer over and over again, and I was telling you this because it was the truth. I am not even lying.

I was in depth in praying when Baekhyun said, “Look who’s in front of you.”

I looked up to see Sehun talking to some girl whose name I didn’t recall and he kept on glancing at us.

Sehun was my suitor during my first year in college, second semester. Baekhyun and I weren’t classmates then, but still, he said he saw us and heard gossips about Sehun courting me.

I never really liked Sehun romantically, I only saw him as a friend and that was that. I didn’t know he was already courting me, but when he tried to hold my hand one night when he brought me home, I knew that things would not end up right.

Sehun then asked me if he could court me, which I think was really a stupid question. If I said yes, then he might think that he had the chance and if I didn’t say yes, in the end he’d think that I just gave him false hopes. When he asked me if I wanted him to court me, I said no.

And after that, he told almost all his close friends that I was giving him hints that I liked him, and that I gave him false hopes. So after that day, I never talked to him, ever again.

I looked at Baekhyun and rolled my eyes, “As if.”

“Should I call him and let him stay here instead?” He kidded. I punched him and he laughed, until we were nearing the door where our report cards were issued.

I asked him to go first, and in that moment, I knew that he was dead nervous. The rosary that had been clutched in my hands for about five hours felt like it was beating in my hands. I took it off and then pushed it to him, “It’s all sweaty, but I seriously think that it has given me so much luck.”

He smiled, “But I may not be able to give it back to you right away.”

“That’s okay, I held it for hours. I think it has given me all the luck that it can give me.” He smiled and then entered the room. I went after him. I didn’t open my report card until I saw him waiting for me in one corner. My heart pumped loudly in my chest.

When he saw me, he smiled. “I passed them all.” That’s when I raised my hand to open the crumpled paper in my hand, I located Calculus first and I got a B+.

We both passed everything, we didn’t have time to eat after that for we were both excited to go home and tell our parents that we might just be lucky enough to get through the quota.

I couldn’t even tell quite how it happened. I mean, it was the sort of thing that happened so fast that I couldn’t even piece it together again afterward. It was when we reached the bus and he took my hand to place the rosary that I lent him that day.

“Thank you,” he said. “You are indeed my lucky charm.”

Days passed and I couldn’t even think about Baekhyun anymore, days ended, and the night always signaled that anytime of the day, results of our quota would come. The quota’s rule was among the 1,000 students enrolled in pre-med, you should be at least at the top 500 to be able to get in. Grades were the only thing that mattered. I reevaluated and counted my weighted average. It was A-. I didn’t know whether to be contented or wish for a much higher grade.

One night, Baekhyun texted me and told me that results would come the next morning. We texted about what ifs and that if ever one of us couldn’t make it, we’d still be friends no matter what. Baekhyun didn’t know that that night, I asked God to give me a sign, that if both of us would pass the quota, then we had a chance to prove to Him that we both belong together.

Dawn came and I was restless.

1:17 A.M.

Let’s sleep, Yumi. It’s getting late.

He texted me. I replied back almost immediately.

1:17 A.M.

I can’t. The thought of quota is still haunting me. You go sleep first.

1:19 A.M.

Do you want me to sing you a lullaby?

I smiled at his reply and I keyed in.

1:22 A.M.

Sure! Ei, wait. I might get nightmares. Ha ha ha!

1:28 A.M.

Ha ha ha! Just think about that night when we were crazy in the karaoke with Chen and Hayi.

I’m crazy for you. Touch me once and you’ll know it’s true. I’ve never wanted anyone like this, it’s so brand new, you’ll feel it in my kiss. I’m crazy for you~

The moment I opened my eyes, the sun was already glaring madly at my window, I looked at my phone to see Baekhyun’s lullaby and I smiled, and then I noticed two unread messages.

I opened Baekhyun’s first and it said,

6:19 A.M.

I passed the quota!!! Can you imagine that? Someone texted me!!! Should I ask if you did???

My whole body trembled as I prayed that the other unread message was from some random friend who was going to tell me that I passed the quota as well.

And it was.

And the thought in my mind became as warm and mellow as the sunlight. How odd, I thought. How wonderfully, wonderfully odd that God indeed hears my prayers.