prologue and 001

11:11 (Dear Baekhyun)

Prologue

When she’s telling you sweet things quoted from books, I am out here writing you one. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but I always end up writing about you. And I think it has to stop.

 

December 24, 2009; 11:11pm

Every time the clock strikes 11:11, people keep on wishing something they want to come true. Sometimes, we get overboard. We tend to wish for something we perfectly know we can’t reach.

But hey, wishing doesn’t have any rules right? I hope there’s none.

“What’d you wish for?” He asked me one night when the clock hit that particular time. We were lying in the grass field, watching the blue sky that had been blanketed by millions of stars.

I lied every time he asked me that question. I didn’t want to tell him that most of the time, I am wishing for him, because I know from the bottom of my heart that he was wishing for someone else.

“I wished to reach that star,” I said, pointing the brightest star that my eyes could see. “I wished to hold it close to my heart,” I almost whispered the last part but I knew he heard me clearly. We were just inches apart that night.

I managed to stretch my hand, as if I could really touch that star. “You know you can’t,” he said and patted my head, like a little kid.

That night, I knew I had to stop wishing for him to be with me. “I perfectly know.” He didn’t know, but that star...that was him, and would always be.

A tear dropped down my cheek. I wished that this would be the last time I’m crying because of him.


001

Everything happened this way. At the very beginning of my first year in college, I met Byun Baekhyun. First day, first school hour, first college crush.

He was not the perfect dude that TV series or books describe. He was a cute guy, not that tall, but I liked his twinkling eyes the most.

The clock signaled that I would be late for my first subject which was Art Appreciation. I was late, so I pulled anything from my closet, dressed myself and powdered my face a little. I brushed my hair about three times then shoved random things inside my bag.

“I’m going!” I yelled to Jinhee, my best friend and roommate. She peeked through the curtain dividing our beds. She was still hand ironing her uniform, not caring if she’d be late or not.

On the second thought, she never got late. She was the most punctual person I had known. I had to take a mental note to praise her later for being an early bird. It was only 8:36 in the morning and her class starts at 9:15 A.M.

Crap. Already 8:36 A.M. and my class would about to start within nine minutes.

“Don’t forget your class schedule. I’m sure you haven’t memorized anything yet,” she reminded as she still managed to send me a smile. She had the most beautiful smile.

I cursed under my breath and fumbled through my bag. Damn! Where’s that stupid class schedule when you need it most?! Crap.

The alarm on Jinhee’s phone meant that I was going to be late if I tried to move a muscle to find that darned schedule.

“It’s on your nightstand!” She reminded me once again. She’d been the best adviser for me. I smiled gratefully and found my class schedule, exactly where she said it would be.

I rushed towards the door like a mad dog, not caring that the girls from the other rooms looked at me curiously. I slung my bag on my shoulders and made my way out of the hall.

I was going to walk on the dirty and smelly overpass, connecting the dorms and our university, when I saw that it was full of other late students.

I refused to roll my eyes. That made me upset. I easily get frustrated with the littlest things in the world. Says one point for my bad attitude.

I had no choice but to take the crossing line under the overpass. I hate crossing main roads alone. It’s as if anytime, a car could just go over me and then I’d be dead before I knew it.

And then the headline on a newspaper would go: A girl, aged 18, died as she was crossing the street. Talk about stupid.

One thing about me? I didn’t know how to cross the street. I’d go ballistic if I heard horns beeping furiously. I didn’t have any experiences like road kill or any of the likes, but crossing the street sure was one thing that threatened me most.

First day of college was terrible. And I hoped I could find random stuff that’d bring happiness to me.

And just like that, it came true. Damn, I never thought that my wish would be answered that fast.

I saw a cute guy in the same year as mine (we had this coded ID lace that determined what year you were in) crossing the road. I pretended to be cool like a queen, walking a little closer along with him.

When we reached the main gates, I scowled at the university’s policy that girls and boys were going to enter in separate points.

The impatient lady guard checked my bag and inspected it thoroughly as if I was sort of a criminal. I refrained myself from blurting stupid things to her, but hellooo?! Did I look like some drugged girl who would bring bomb here? Definitely no.

I then entered my new school, looked around and saw different, tall buildings. I gulped, where the hell was Jeon-il Hall? I walked acting chill, trying to hide the cold sweat that was threatening to run down my face.

I looked left and right. No sign of that Jeon-il freaking Hall anywhere. Students were beginning to look at me as my head turned left and right constantly. I caught a guy looking at me, his eyes giving me one of those you-are-a-freshie-and-you-don’t-know-where-to-go stares.

Wait, was he the same guy I walked with earlier? Wow. He’s really cute. But I was late. Crap.

I just smiled at him and muttered under my breath, “Exercise you know, so that your neck will enhance its senses.” And then headed off, fast. I realized I looked and sounded so stupid. Way to go, Yumi and you’d be dead.

It was 8:42 and I was really frantic. So I gulped every bits of dignity left in my struggling soul and went to ask a janitor. “Good morning ahjussi, I just want to ask where I can find Jeon-il Hall?” I asked, pointing at my class schedule.

I saw hurrying students glanced over their shoulders to laugh at the poor freshie who seemed lost and confused. Unfortunately, it was me. Well, sorry for being new, yeah?

The janitor vaguely pointed at the fourth floor of some building. He didn’t even bother to put into words some direction, which would be helpful enough even for someone like me, who seemed at lost with just the word–directions.

I ran towards it and took the stairs with a pace of two steps at a time. When I reached the fourth floor, I stopped to catch my breath. Curse this school for not having elevators! Talk about demanding.

I glanced across the floor and I hated myself for being a near sighted person. The hell. I even forgot to wear my eyeglasses. I fished for my phone and sent a quick message to Jinhee, telling her to bring my glasses with her later.

I cursed in my mind, what was this place? King Cross Station where I had to go through a barrier? I only had three minutes and I was dying to find that damned hall! Someone then tapped me from behind and I saw a girl.

“Lost?” She asked.

“Yeah,” I said defeated. She suddenly took the class schedule from my hands. Rude. She studied it and she smiled. “Jeon-il Hall is located just the opposite of this wing, want me to walk you there?” I nodded. Woah there, she was actually nice!

When we reached the right wing, I saw JEON-IL HALL written in bold, gold letters at the far end corner and I smiled. At last. That freaking hall just confused the hell out of me. I did a mental note to roll my eyes at the janitor who pointed me at the wrong wing.

The second bell rang and I looked at the girl beside me. I thanked her and dashed towards the room and felt relieved when I saw that the professor hadn’t arrived. I chose to sit at the first seat, at the first row, in the aisle. Talk about grade conscious.

And then, the same guy who I walked with earlier, in the cross roads, came inside. So he was my classmate...

He sat beside me. I remembered just how it was. I was staring at him intently, his bag on his lap.

Of course I didn’t know him yet, but he smiled at me, or I just imagined that he did. I was the first to look away and hid the blush that was starting to crawl on my cheeks.

I didn’t know that the first day of the rest of my life had just begun.


Hi! deni-sky here. I'm back! Quite? I don't know if you'd like this but this is the first chapter of the longer version of the fic! Please give support and thanks to all the comments. I appreciate it so much! Since I'm already done writing the whole story, I will update the chapters everyday! :)

 

And, happy new year!