three.

따뜻한 사람 / In Your Arms

ShinB sighs and plops herself on the sofa, tired after a long day of practice. She pulls back some hair that is covering her face, then scratches back of her head while releasing a huge groan. She releases another sigh of frustration and looks down into her empty hands.

"ShinB yah, is everything alright?" she hears a concerned voice from Eunha and is so tempted to shake her head and break down and cry, but realises that the five other people in the dorm are facing the same hardships and does not want to burden them with her unstable emotions.

ShinB tries her best to put up a smile and and looks up, "Yes."

"Really?" their oldest member raises an eyebrow as she asks.

"Don't worry about me," she lifelessly waves a hand as she says so. But just as she finishes her sentence, she shoots up from her seat, shuffles her feet as she proceeds into the bedroom, and slams the door behind her.

She climbs up the bunk bed and lies down, facing the ceiling with her eyes wide open. Her heart aches as if she wants to cry, but her eyes remain dry- and she knows it isn't related to the weather or her weariness. She sighs and releases a loud groan.

She inhales and exhales deeply, so deep that each and every breath is made audible in the motionless room. Her heart pounds as thoughts race in her head yet it feels like she isn't thinking or feeling anything at all. It's an exhausting feeling, and her mind is worn out.

Through the silence she can hear the ongoing conversation in the living room.

"She's probably tired, she's got that solo stage which is really stressing her out," ShinB blinks at the sentence.

"She's been practising so hard for that," ShinB can only scoff in response to that statement.

"Yuju unnie you're one to say," she mutters, "You've got a solo stage and you've been practising so hard too."

Then why am I so weak? A question pops out in her head. Her body freezes. She feels every strand of hair stand.

A beep from her mobile phone breaks the hard silence. Eunbi lifelessly tosses around and looks down from the bunk bed onto her phone. She sees a messenger notification.

Slowly ShinB climbs down and makes her way to her phone.

"권보아 has added you as a friend", writes her phone, and without much thought, she calls her up.

 

 

 

Just as BoA is about to put down the mobile phone, it rings. Without noticing the caller, she swipes the screen to answer.

"BoA sunbaenim?" BoA hears a timid voice stammering at the other side of the line. Her eyes widen. She brings the phone away from her ear to take a look at the caller identification.

"ShinB ssi?" she asked, surprised.

"I'm sorry to bother you now, are you busy?" ShinB speaks slowly and carefully with a trembling voice that puzzles BoA.

"I just finished filming for the day," BoA casually answers. While she is still curious about the call, a thought occurs in her mind as she realises the unease in the girl's voice. "Is something wrong?" she asks, concern immediately growing in her.

"I-" BoA hears a sob before ShinB can say anything properly.

"ShinB ssi?" BoA furrows her eyebrows, immediately worried for the girl.

"It's okay, I'm fine," she hears her say after a few sniffles and gulps.

"Hey, I wanna meet you," BoA decides to act immediately, "meet me at the same place now?"

 

 

 

"I'm going out for a bit," ShinB announces as she returns to the living room where everyone is, but exits again only a short while after as she leaves the dorm.

"Sure," she tries her best to reciprocate the smiles they give her, hiding the pain inside her. She grabs her coat, slips her feet into her boots and leaves without another word.

She takes swift steps without hesitation as she makes her way to the location as decided. She takes the public bus and reaches in about fifteen minutes.

Immediately after she enters she is welcomed by a gush of warmth and the rich coffee aroma that seems to comfort her a little today.

"Ah you're already here," she turns around to the familiar voice to face a smile that suddenly brought sunlight to her stormy day.

ShinB bows. Seeing the tiny flashes of smiles that ShinB's lips are trying to hard to make, BoA sighs in worry for the girl.

BoA lightly pulls her arm and leads her to a corner of the cafe where there is a long couch. They sit down beside each other, without a single word.

"You wanted to meet me?" ShinB turns to face the woman. "Is there something wrong?"

BoA sighs. "There is, I guess," she replies softly.

"What's wrong?" ShinB asks in return.

"That's what I wanted to ask you," BoA answers. She feels ShinB stiffen up beside her, and from the corner of her eye sees her turn away. They stay in silence for a while, a silence that felt painful yet good.

"We're busy with practice even though it's our break," ShinB suddenly starts, staring into blank air.

BoA patiently waits for Eunbi to carry on.

"I've got a solo stage because I'm the main dancer so things get harder," her words are plain and direct.

BoA can tell she's tired. She releases a sigh and gently places an arm on ShinB's. She pats it lightly and sees that tears are beginning to well up in ShinB's eyes.

"I know I should be used to this, but I just can't right now-" ShinB begins to get unstable. "I really don't know, I don't know why I'm feeling like that, I don't know anything-" she chokes on her sobs. Tears start streaming down her cheeks.

Upon the sight, BoA caringly places an arm around the girl and rubs her side in comfort.

"I feel so burdened," ShinB bawls, burying her face in her hands. "It's like I've got to work so hard to get things done well," she explains, "what makes me feel even worse is that I know I should've been used to this," ShinB's tears do not stop.

"I understand you," BoA whispers. She blinks and tears begin to cloud her vision as well. She sees herself in the girl. She sees her past, the young BoA in ShinB. Her heart aches a little and tears begin to fall.

"I feel so weak," ShinB mutters and cries, leaning onto BoA. BoA opens her arms and wraps the younger girl in a tight hug.