Past and Future

You Make Me Begin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kihyun hates not knowing things, especially if they’re things other people know.

He hates not knowing what did he do the last past years of his life. He hates not knowing what kind of relationship did he had with the people at the S.U.S.F. He hates not knowing how his relationship with Changkyun was.

But he also hates not knowing how to make an antidote for the silver bomb and he especially hates not knowing if Youngjae is fine.

Minhyuk knows. Well, it’s clearly perceptive by the way he swifts his weight from one feet to the other and bites the end of the pen nervously. Minhyuk is very aware of his best friend’s hate for things he doesn’t know. When they were in high school there was a day when a group of boys were gossiping about something and Kihyun wanted to know, but for some reason the others wouldn’t tell him. Kihyun got that mad that in recess time he sneaked inside the class and threw all their things across the class and put their bags upside down.

That day they learnt that you shouldn’t piss Yoo Kihyun off if you want to live in peace.

“Okay, Kihyun” Jooheon calls him, taking him out of his trance. “I’ve brought all the science books you told me. I hope we’ll find something valuable out of all this”.

Kihyun throws the pen carelessly at the table, quickly reaching for the first book that Jooheon offers to him.

Minhyuk leaves the room to let the geniuses work. He walks to the main room, where Jackson and Bambam are telling something to Hyunwoo with a very worried face. Hyunwoo nods at everything they say while rubbing his chin. Minhyuk realizes that Hyunwoo is bothered, probably because what Jackson and Bambam are telling him isn’t good news.

After Jackson and Bambam end their story the room remains silent. Hyunwoo is now scratching the back of his neck, deeply wondering about something. As if he was feeling the intense and worried glance of Minhyuk, he turns his head to stare back at him. Minhyuk discretely waves at him, smiling a little to try cheer the other up. Hyunwoo smiles at him before turning again towards Jackson and Bambam.

“We have no choice but to take a look at it” Hyunwoo says, already putting on his jacket.

“Can we join you?” Bambam asks him.

“It’s better if you stay here. But call me if you hear something from Jinyoung”.

Hyunwoo checks that his gun is charged before walking towards the door.

“Hyunwoo, wait” Minhyuk says, making Hyunwoo and the other two boys look at him. “Let me join you”.

“Minhyuk” Hyunwoo starts saying, but is cut by the other quickly.

“We were a team before” Minhyuk says, picking his forgotten shotgun from his spot. “I may have lost my memories but I’m sure my skills remain the same. Please let me help you”.

They stare at each other for a brief moment before Hyunwoo smiles to him and separate from the door, inviting Minhyuk to walk outside before him.

“Thank you” Hyunwoo says as he closes the door after himself.

 

“Stay here” Hyunwoo commands him. “From here it’s Namjoon’s territory. They will detect my presence as soon as I put a feet on it. Stay here in case something is actually wrong”.

Minhyuk nods and gives Hyunwoo’s shoulder a squeeze before hiding himself behind a tree and aiming his shotgun in the direction Hyunwoo is walking to in case he has to help him.

As Hyunwoo had predicted, as soon as he trespasses the property two guys pop out of nowhere and block his way towards the pack’s residence.

“Human, back off or we’ll have to make you” one of them warns.

“Excuse me, but I have an alliance with the leader of this pack, Kim Namjoon” Hyunwoo informs him.

“This pack no longer belongs to Kim Namjoon” the other guy answers. “He’s dead. The leader of this pack is Kim Sewon and he doesn’t have any alliance with you”.

“My bad. I’m sorry, I won’t bother you again”.

Hyunwoo turns around and goes back to where Minhyuk is, making sure the others haven’t seen him.

“What happened?” Minhyuk asks him when they are in a safety zone.

“They said Namjoon is dead and they now have a new leader” Hyunwoo says as he motions for Minhyuk to follow him. “I don’t think the others have taken it so lightly, especially since now Jinyoung is with them. Well, we can only wait and hope the others will solve it their way. If they don’t trigger it we can’t help them”.

“I see…”

They walk in silence with their heads ducked down until they hear a branch crushing in front of them. Instantly Hyunwoo raises his head and takes a defensive position, with Minhyuk already aiming his shotgun at the two boys in front of them.

“, Myungsoo” one of the guys says, taking the other and pulling him behind him.

The four of them stare at each other for a while trying to decipher if they are allies or enemies, but the two guys seem more defensive than offensive.

“Humans” the guy the other had called Myungsoo mutters.

“How can they know we’re humans just by a look?” Minhyuk asks. “We look the same!”

“But you smell different” Myungsoo explains, “less…doggy”.

That earns a smile from Minhyuk, who lowers his weapon. Hyunwoo notices and relaxes his body.

“My name is Kim Myungsoo” Myungsoo says, “and this is my partner Nam Woohyun”.

As Hyunwoo and Woohyun exchange information, Minhyuk notices that Myungsoo is still clinging onto Woohyun’s arm even when they have made sure they aren’t enemies; but it doesn’t seem defensive. It looks genuine, as if it was comfortable for Myungsoo to do so. Woohyun and Hyunwoo are both too focused on their talk to notice, but Minhyuk stares at the way Myungsoo looks at Woohyun as he talks. He has seen that sight in Hyunwoo’s eyes. That appreciation for the person he’s looking at, that passion…that love.

Minhyuk wonders if he also looked at Hyunwoo the way Myungsoo is looking at Woohyun. He also wonders if Woohyun looks at Myungsoo the same way he does.

He’s almost sure Woohyun does because he put himself before Myungsoo when they met. It seemed as a simple gesture but nothing escapes from Minhyuk’s eyes. He noticed how Woohyun pulled Myungsoo behind him to shield him from their possible attackers. He would have preferred to suffer instead of Myungsoo.

“So you had an alliance with Namjoon” Woohyun says, attracting Minhyuk’s attention again. “So did us. We can’t just stay here without doing anything”.

“I know about your rules” Hyunwoo says. “We can’t do anything if they took the title from Namjoon fairly. We have to prove that it wasn’t fair or wait for his pack to do something before getting involved in it”.

“I wish we had the lead pack’s help, but unfortunately the alpha is at an unknown location. He and his best men are missing and we don’t know where they are. We’re alone in this”.

“I’m afraid they also did something to the lead pack” Myungsoo intervenes. “They don’t just disappear without telling anyone where they are heading to, not even their mates”.

“We needed Namjoon’s pack’s help” Woohyun continues, “they were the only pack we could count on. Now we don’t have anything”.

“You have my squad” Hyunwoo says. “We were allies with Namjoon. We still are. We have friends inside there that won’t accept other leader but Namjoon, so believe me when I say that they have to be plotting something. We just have to wait and intervene as soon as they make a move from the inside”.

“That’s smart” Woohyun says. “Can we trust that they are going to do something?”

“I’d bet anything that they are” Hyunwoo says and Minhyuk nods by his side. “So if you want their help accept mine. We can also be allies”.

“We need to speak with our alpha” Myungsoo tells them. “You can come with us if you like”.

“Of course. Lead the way”.

 

When Youngjae wakes up the other side of the bed is empty, but it’s still warm. He turns to the side trying to avoid the sun and finds a glass of water with some pills by his side. He takes them and drinks the water, smiling after knowing that it was Jaebum who put them there.

When he gets out from Jaebum’s room he’s greeted with the sight of the other cooking at the kitchen.

“Good morning, sunshine” Jaebum greets him. “Or should I say good evening?”

“How much have I slept?” Youngjae asks him as he takes a sit at the couch.

“A few hours” Jaebum answers as he turns off the stove, serving the meal for him and Youngjae.

He places a plate full of food in front of Youngjae, who smiles before thanking him.

“Are you going to tell me what happened earlier?” Jaebum asks him as he takes a seat besides the younger.

“I think I’m remembering things” Youngjae answers, staring serious at him. “When we touch my head buzzes and images start to appear in my mind. But they aren’t hallucinations… I somehow know they are memories. But it only happens with you and not all the time”.

“It’s okay, Youngjae” Jaebum says as he reaches to remove a strand of hair from Youngjae’s hair, placing it behind his ear. “But don’t push yourself like that again. You scared me. And you won’t want to remember everything for me”.

“Why not?” Youngjae asks curiously.

“You won’t like the last things you heard from me”.

“What did you say that is that horrible?”

Jaebum bites his lip before looking again at the younger.

“I called you disgusting” Jaebum says, seeing how Youngjae’s face contorts in surprise.

“Why?” Youngjae asks in disbelief.

“I needed you away from me. I didn’t want you to get hurt because of me, so I pushed you away without realizing I was the one hurting you”.

“But why calling me disgusting? Why did it affect me so much?”

“You confessed to me that night” Jaebum says with a deep voice, startling Youngjae. “You even kissed me. And I loved it because I loved you. But I had to reject you because I thought I was protecting you by doing so”.

They remain in silence before Youngjae clears his throat.

“You ‘loved me’?” he asks, and Jaebum stares at him confused. “Don’t you love me anymore?”

“Of course I still love you” Jaebum says, “but it’s different. You’re Youngjae but at the same time it feels as if you were a different person”.

“Because you’re a stranger for me” Youngjae adds.

Jaebum ducks his head and bites his lip. After that, none of the two say anything. They just finish their meal and make a silent agreement on washing the dishes together. Jaebum cleans them and then Youngjae dries them with a towel. It’s inevitable for them to touch while doing it, but Youngjae doesn’t look at him again. Jaebum stares at him sadly.

“I’m leaving” is the only thing Youngjae says before going out from the house.

Jaebum can’t complain. He leans on the counter, wondering what did he actually said to make Youngjae angry.

Outside, Youngjae is still leaning against Jaebum’s door, also wondering why he is so shaken up by Jaebum’s words.

I loved it because I loved you.

It’s that ‘loved’ what really bothers Youngjae, but he doesn’t really know why. It’s normal that Jaebum said it that way because he was talking about his past; so what is he exactly mad at?

You’re Youngjae but at the same time it feels as if you were a different person.

As Youngjae remembers Jaebum’s words he understands that it hurts because he’s jealous. Jealous of who? He thinks. Jealous of himself? Of the version of himself that knew Jaebum and loved him? But it’s still him. He’s Youngjae but he doesn’t have the memories of Jaebum.

At that moment Youngjae realizes it hurts because Jaebum is in love with his past himself, the one with the memories. Even though they are the same person, if he doesn’t have those memories he’s not Youngjae to him. And Youngjae is really bothered by the fact that a part of his life is missing. A very important part that he wants back with all his heart.

He wants to remember loving Jaebum and he wants Jaebum to love him like he did before.

 

Yugyeom keeps walking in circles besides Shura’s body. He’s getting nervous because the girl doesn’t wake up even when Bonnie said she should have done it an hour ago.

Truth is, Shura is very awake since that time but refuses to open her eyes. She knows Yugyeom is mad at her and is afraid of the scold the younger is going to give her when she’ll open her eyes.

“Why isn’t she waking up?” Yugyeom asks impatiently.

“She’s awake” Bonnie answers, “she just refuses to open her eyes because you’re going to scold her”.

“Thank you so much, Bonnie” Shura suddenly says, feeling betrayed by who she considers her friend.

Bonnie shrugs her shoulders as Shura incorporates on the stretcher. She didn’t want to expose the girl but she can’t keep seeing Yugyeom like that.

“For God’s sake you worried me!” Yugyeom yells, approaching the girl. “How can you do something that risky just like that? Weren’t you thinking straight?”

“I was thinking straight” Shura says. “I was thinking of all of you when I did it, okay? We needed to know if it would work, and now we know. Why can’t you all understand that instead of scolding me?”

“I could have lost you, you know?” Yugyeom asks, running a hand through his hair.

Shura smiles lovingly to him, feeling glad that Yugyeom worries about her that much.

“You’re so cute, Yugyeomie” she says, reaching for his hand to hold it. But Yugyeom averts his hand, glaring at the girl.

“Don’t ‘Yugyeomie’ me” he says angrily. “I’m mad at you. You didn’t only put

Please log in to read the full chapter