Farewell Part II

You Make Me Begin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Youngjae can’t hold it anymore. Shura left to work and Mark is nowhere to be seen. But it’s better for Youngjae; finally he can escape without anyone noticing.

He feels suffocated. He needs to get out from here, from the constant reminder of rejection that this whole place is, at least for a while. He rushes through the forest, trying to not be seen by the other members. He succeeds in getting out without being noticed. He inhales deeply and starts walking.

After a while he decides to stop at a park to rest. He observes the kids playing at the playground. Youngjae smiles at them, at those innocent little beings that don’t need to worry about anything. He sees elderly couples walking by hand in hand, grinning at the youth. He sees lonely persons like him feeding the animals. It reminds him of Mark saying he wanted a puppy and Jaebum saying he wanted a cat. Youngjae smiles sadly at that.

He loses track of the time he spends just sitting there, away from the pack but feeling somehow relieved. Suddenly his phone buzzes on his pocket, and Youngjae groans, wondering why he hadn’t left it behind. He takes it out and sees the screen, notifying him that the university has sent him an e-mail. Youngjae checks it quickly; it’s only spam. Youngjae sighs and closes the application, just to be rewarded with a beautiful picture of him and Jaebum from days ago when it snowed that he had settled as his wallpaper. Youngjae smiles at it sadly. He touches the screen, and a tear drops just above Jaebum’s face on the screen.

Youngjae retrieves the phone back and rubs his eyes with his sleeve. At that moment he isn’t aware of someone staring at him from the other side of the bench he’s sitting in.

“Excuse me”, Youngjae turns to look at him. It’s a boy about his age, with tousled dark hair and a pleasant smile. “Do you mind if I sit here?”

“Oh no, of course not” Youngjae says while making space for the other to sit.

They fall in a comfortable silence until Youngjae sniffs again. The other boy turns to look at him worriedly.

“Bad break up?” the boy asks softly.

“It’s not a break up if you weren’t even together” Youngjae says almost in a whisper.

The boy gets closer to him, but Youngjae doesn’t mind. He’s still trying to suppress the urge to cry.

“What has Jaebum done this time?”

And just by that, Youngjae catches on the situation. He tries to stand up and leave as soon as possible but something pierces through his thigh and he’s forced to sit again with a groan.

“Move and I’ll inject this into you” the boy says, and at this moment Youngjae notices that he has in fact a syringe buried deep on his thigh, the boy’s hand curled around it, pressing lightly on the plunger. Youngjae can’t see what’s inside of it; but it’s something pernicious for sure.

“What is it?” Youngjae dares to ask. He’s been taught to extract as much information as he can about anything and then erase the proof.

“This, my friend, is what we call a silver bomb” the guy -Youngjae can safely assume is Jeonghan- says, still smiling at him, “if I put this little microchip in you you’ll become a real menace for your werewolf friends. Nothing would happen to you, but with pressing a button you’d become the cause of your friends’ deaths. And we both don’t want that to happen, do we?”

Youngjae shakes his head but stares at him defiantly, his eyes burning with anger. He’s furious with the person in front of him but also with himself for being that stupid to put himself in danger going outside.

“Good, now you’re going to listen to what I have to say, Choi Youngjae” the guy says with a smirk, not intimidated by Youngjae’s fierce glare at all. “I’m sure you’ve heard about me before. My name is Jeonghan and I’m the alpha from Jaebum’s previous pack”.

“I know who you are” Youngjae almost growls to him. He doesn’t have much information about the guy, but he knows he wants to hurt Jaebum and has just threatened his friends too, meaning he’s an enemy.

“Wow, I’m flattered” Jeonghan retorts. “Then you know what I want from you”.

“You want to hurt Jaebum” Youngjae replies. “But I don’t see how I could help you with that”.

“But you were here just crying over him few minutes ago” Jeonghan laughs a little, making Youngjae angrier. “And a good friend of mine told me that you’re…how do I say it…very special to him”.

“Then your friend is wrong” Youngjae says, his mind searching for a possible traitor inside the pack. “I don’t know who told you about that, but I’m not the person you think I am. Jaebum doesn’t have those feelings for me”.

“Are you sure about that?” Jeonghan asks, raising an eyebrow at him. “Well, let me guess” he adds, resting his free arm on the bench and his head on his hand, close to Youngjae. “You got kidnapped by one of my fellows and Jaebum just assumed I took you because I somehow knew about his feelings, even when this boy told him he only wanted revenge. Speaking about that, how did you managed to make such a mess of my property? I’m really curious about it”.

“Your members are weak” Youngjae argues, “and your walls are like paper. Destroying them was easy task for me”.

Jeonghan smirks.

“Ah, so feisty. I see why Jaebum likes you so much” Jeonghan says, earning a disgusted face from Youngjae. “But like I was saying, he was all wrong. I received a call from this guy telling me that he recognized you as Shura’s friend from that time she took you to the fighting club and that he wanted revenge because your friend hurt his brother or something like that. I said yes and asked this friend of mine to check on you. She’s amazing, really; one look and she can read any chapter of your life from your mind. Fortunately she left before you destroyed my property. But it’s okay; after all I got something better from that”.

Youngjae tries to digest this new info. So basically, what Jeonghan is saying is that he has a friend that can read minds. She probably has seen through his past memories. But she can’t assume Jaebum is in love with him just by that. What if Youngjae wasn’t wrong and Jaebum was really pulling a façade on himself to toy with him like he said?

“You don’t believe me” Jeonghan complains with a sigh. “She told me everything she saw in you, and we both concluded that Jaebum was pretty obvious about his crush on you. You probably still think I’m wrong. I don’t know what Jaebum did to you to be like this, but I can guess again”.

Youngjae is ready for whatever this dude says to him. He’s still convinced Jaebum doesn’t have that type of feelings towards him.

“I’m sure after that incident he became paranoid” Jeonghan says, smirking again. “He wouldn’t stop thinking about me laying my hands on you. He had to do something, anything to protect his ‘sunshine’” Jeonghans says dramatically, and Youngjae’s body trembles at the nickname. “And I think we both know what Jaebum tends to do when he wants to protect something”.

Youngjae starts to feel anxious, because this guy really has a point. He knows Jaebum since a long time ago, and Youngjae also knows about Jaebum’s way of avoiding hurting someone because he can relate.

“He pushes that something away” Jeonghan adds, making Youngjae’s body paralyze because of how true that actually is. “He did something like that to you before, didn’t he? Because he didn’t want you to suffer. What makes you think it’s different this time? I just had to listen to my friend to know how much Jaebum loves you. Believe me when I say I was truly amazed. I could never imagine Jaebum acting that way towards someone. Serious, cold Jaebum being all warm and soft because of a cute kid. Incredible”.

Youngjae doesn’t want to fall for his words; but he would lie if he’d say that he isn’t thinking about that. Youngjae knows Jaebum is not the type to play with someone’s feelings when he doesn’t understand very well his own. Jaebum cares about all his friends. Jaebum wouldn’t hurt him if he could avoid it.

What means, Jaebum reached a point where he couldn’t avoid it. And Youngjae feels miserable for not realizing about it sooner; for getting all angered with the elder and not seeing the truth. If Jaebum couldn’t avoid it, it only means it’s something serious, deadly serious. Something that escapes out of Jaebum’s control and makes him blind by fear.

So it was true, Youngjae realizes late, his heart beating like crazy. Jaebum did love me.

“Do you believe me now?” Jeonghan asks after letting the boy reorganize his thoughts for a while. “Jaebum would do anything to protect you. But he’s so scared of what I could do to you that he didn’t stop to think that what matters here isn’t you; that pushing you away wouldn’t solve anything, because the damage was already done the moment he fell in love with you. What matters to me, dear Youngjae, are Jaebum’s feelings for you. And pushing you away won’t make them go away. He should have been smarter than that. But well, Jaebum isn’t acknowledged for being smart, is he?”

Youngjae turns to glare at him, regaining his composure. It doesn’t matter if this guy forces him to go with him to protect his friends. He won’t let him have his way and hurt Jaebum. Jaebum’s words still stings in his heart; but the love for the elder is also there and it’s not going to fade away that easily.

“So, Youngjae” Jeonghan calls his name again, “do we have a deal? Are you coming with me willingly or have I to turn you into a human weapon?”

“It’s not like I have an option, do I?” Youngjae asks sarcastically.

“You certainly don’t”, Jeonghan answers with a chuckle. “You’re going to work for me. You’re such an interesting human being; smart, powerful, handsome, brave… who knows, maybe I end up falling in love with you too”.

Youngjae’s face contorts in disgust at that. This guy isn’t getting in his pants, that’s for sure.

“But if I do” Youngjae request, even though he’s not in a good position for making demands, “you have to leave my friends in peace”.

“Of course, I promise you I won’t lay a finger on your friends. Except for Jaebum. If I don’t get to hurt him this wouldn’t be funny. And maybe you can have a little revenge for whatever that dumb guy has done to you. Deal?”

Youngjae doesn’t want to accept. He doesn’t want to hurt Jaebum; but with that syringe still pressing against his thigh is not like he has another option for the moment.

I’m sorry Jaebum.

“Deal” Youngjae says.

“Great” Jeonghan says. He eases the pressure on the syringe, and Youngjae is ready to flick it and stab the boy with it when Jeonghan smirks and presses the plunger till the end of it.

Youngjae screams. It hurts; his energy is being drowned from his body and he has to hold onto the bench for support. Jeonghan finally releases him, smiling proudly at his work. Youngjae manages to raise his head to glare at him.

“We- we had a deal” he says breathing heavily.

“We still have it” Jeonghan says, two guys appearing from somewhere and taking Youngjae by his arms, dragging him with them. Youngjae searches for someone who could help him; but suddenly the park is empty. “Do you think I’m that stupid to let you go like that after seeing how you destroyed my property without moving a single muscle? I’m really aware of your potential, Choi Youngjae. What I injected to you is a serum that will suppress your powers for 14 hours. I was sure you would come with me anyways so I took the necessary precautions. But the silver bomb is real; behave so I won’t have to put it on you, understand?”

Youngjae nods weakly. Jeonghan smiles and opens the door of a car from him. The guys leave Youngjae on the back seat, but Youngjae doesn’t have the energy to do anything. He lets the serum take over him and quickly falls asleep.

 

Jaebum knows lying on the bed all day is not going to solve anything; but his body doesn’t seem to mind. It simply doesn’t respond to Jaebum. As much as Jaebum wants to get up he can’t. His body feels heavy and his head aches. He groans at the sunlight peering from the window and succeeds rolling his body so he’s lying on his stomach, face buried on his pillow.

He doesn’t know what he’s going to do now that he has pushed Youngjae away. The idea seemed right in his mind when he made the decision of letting him go; but scenes from last night don’t stop replaying in his mind. Every time he closes his eyes he sees Youngjae’s broken face, and his words keep repeating in his ears.

I think I love you.

How could you?

You thought it would be funny to play with my feelings like that.

Don’t touch me!

You said I’m disgusting but you’re worse than me!

And I would punch that beautiful face of yours willingly. So don’t you dare ruin what they have like you have ruined me.

Jaebum.

I’m sorry.

Jaebum sighs. What happened last night felt like a real war without a clear winner. In the end, nobody wins wars, Jaebum thinks. He feels lost. Scratch that, he IS lost. He doesn’t know how to live now that Youngjae won’t be a part of it. He doesn’t know how to act when he sees the younger for now on. Jaebum wonders if one day Youngjae will stop hating him. If one day the entire Jeonghan problem will be gone and Youngjae will come back to him; if he still will love him.

Because Jaebum doesn’t think he’s able to forget the younger; to stop loving him after he finally opened his heart.

 

“This is kind of unexpected” Hyunwoo says, glancing at the two boys in front of him.

“I know” Jinyoung says, “but they wouldn’t let me go if they didn’t come with me”.

“We’ll do anything you ask us to” Jackson says, “we’re very disciplined”.

“But please let us help” Bambam pleads.

Hyunwoo sighs. He’s not a supporter of involving civil people; but two pair of hands more would be really helpful.

“Okay, Jackson Wang and…uhm, Kunpi…?” Hyunwoo says, struggling with Bambam’s real name.

“Kunpimook Bhuwakul” Bambam corrects him with a pleasant grin, “but call me Bambam”.

“Well, Jackson and Bambam” Hyunwoo finally says, “if you promise to follow all my orders without complaining then you’re in”.

“We promise” both of them say in unison.

“Good. Welcome to the S.U.S.F.” Hyunwoo says with a smile, offering his hand for a shake.

“Our pleasure” Jackson says while shaking Hyunwoo’s hand energetically, leaving Hyunwoo a bit shocked. Jackson finally releases his hand and Bambam reaches for it.

“We won’t give you any problem” he assures the other.

“Well, Jooheon will be here in a second to show you the office and give you some advices” Hyunwoo says, and a second after Jooheon appears behind him. “Oh, perfect timing. Jooheon, these are our new trainees Jackson and Bambam, even though I’m sure you already know them.

“Yes” Jooheon says, “they already noticed me that they were coming to join us”.

“Oh, good. Give them a tour for our office and tell them everything they need to know”.

“Of course. C’mon guys”.

Jooheon starts walking with Jackson and Bambam following him. Jinyoung sees Jooheon trying to be professional in front of his friends, and failing miserably when Jackson lets out a squeal and shouts a but dude this is so cool! I also want a gun. Jooheon squeals too while yelling I know dude I’m so cool and Bambam complains about wanting a weapon.

Jinyoung face palms himself meanwhile Hyunwoo finds it hilarious how the three of them are so excited about working together.

“Well Jinyoung,” Hyunwoo says, “you said you were a criminologist, right?”

“Yes, that’s right” Jinyoung answers.

“Good. So I assume you have some knowledge about decoding and elaborating tracking maps, am I right?”

“Yes”.

“Perfect. Today you’re going to work with me decoding some documents I found at the warehouse, okay?”

“Sure”.

“Here” Hyunwoo says, sitting at his spot and motioning for Jinyoung to take the spot next to him. “This was Minhyuk’s spot. You can use his computer for the moment”.

Jinyoung switches it on, feeling a bit guilty because this is someone else’s place.

“Ah, I almost forgot” Hyunwoo says, opening a drawer from his desk and taking out an envelope, “this is for you”.

Jinyoung grabs it and opens it. He takes out its content and grins upon seeing what it is.

“I found them in one of the boxes we took out from the building” Hyunwoo explains, “and even though I think it’s a bit creepy by their side, I supposed you would want to have them”.

Jinyoung nods in appreciation. He examines carefully the first pic that was in the envelope. It’s a photo taken from behind of Mark and Jinyoung having lunch on the rooftop. The next one has Mark and Jinyoung having lunch again, but this time inside the office. The following is a pic of Mark talking with Jinyoung at his spot.

There are three more photos featuring Mark interacting with Jinyoung, and the last one is the picture of Mark that was in his report. Jinyoung

Please log in to read the full chapter