Son Hyunwoo

You Make Me Begin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Son Hyunwoo only had one passion in his life.

Dance.

He really liked to dance when he was young. He watched professional dancers dance on television and he liked it, so he used to copy them. He learnt by himself and he was so proud of his skills.

However, his father wanted something different for him. He told his son more than once that dance wasn’t going to lead him anywhere, so he should chose other way to build a future. That’s how Hyunwoo ended being the head of a special division of the Security forces.

He only wanted to join the Security forces, but the captain wanted to form a special unit to solve certain cases, different from the usual, and Hyunwoo accepted to be the head out of boredom.

He doesn’t regret his decision at all. He had only six companions, but each one of them was a precious friend to him. He met Jooheon, the skilled guy; Kihyun, the smart one; Hyungwon, the sassy dude; Wonho, the good-looking one; Changkyun, the youngest; and lastly, Minhyuk, the cheerful one.

Minhyuk was the last to arrive, but the one who made the deepest impact on Hyunwoo. Since the beginning, there were good vibes at the office; but with Minhyuk’s arrival it only got better. Waking up early each day didn’t matter anymore to Hyunwoo; he only wanted to arrive the fastest at the office to be greeted with Minhyuk’s wonderful smile.

Minhyuk was a bit clumsy at the office and sometimes he tripped and lost papers, but he always cleaned the mess and put everything in its place. Minhyuk never lost his smile and it made Hyunwoo incredibly happy. At the beginning they had a normal boss-employee relationship, but they got along well and used to be together almost all the time. When they had to go out to some special mission, Hyunwoo would always pick Minhyuk to come with him. Minhyuk was a great shooter; the best in Hyunwoo’s opinion. When they were out, Hyunwoo would always go first with Minhyuk covering his back with his shotgun; or if they were out to obtain information, Hyunwoo would do the talk while Minhyuk would be his sniper in case the negotiation went wrong.

Hyunwoo and Minhyuk were a special team and everyone knew. After a certain time, Hyunwoo also asked Changkyun to come with them to missions. Hyunwoo wanted Changkyun to learn from them, always telling the younger that if something ever happen to him, he would take the role of the boss. Changkyun would say that Hyunwoo is an exaggerated, but he came with them in the end, and even enjoyed it. People at office started calling them The family, because the three of them would go together everywhere. And nobody denied it.

Hyunwoo appreciated everyone at the office, but with Minhyuk and Changkyun it was special. Hyunwoo saw the potential in Changkyun since the day he met the younger, and wanted to explode it. With Minhyuk, he simply liked him and they had good chemistry. They never failed a mission and even got praised not only by his partners, but also the rest of the Security forces. To Hyunwoo, Minhyuk was like a ray of sunshine. He had a lot of energy, and it was contagious. When Minhyuk was hyper active, he made everyone at his surroundings go active too. When Minhyuk smiled, everyone smiled and when he laughed, everyone laughed with him. Hyunwoo would always be glad to Minhyuk for always maintaining the mood up, and for helping him managing the squad. Hyunwoo didn’t know what he would have done without Minhyuk with all the new discoveries they did. He managed to control the team and everything worked well.

Until the day Kihyun went missing.

Hyunwoo was at the office that day. Kihyun and Minhyuk asked him to have a day off. Hyunwoo looked at them suspiciously, but he shrugged it off and let the boys go. He missed Minhyuk a lot that day. Even when Minhyuk wasn’t all the time at the office, he would always come to his office at every break they had to make sure Hyunwoo was eating well. But that day he was out all day and Hyunwoo sensed the quiet vibe at the office.

He just arrived home and was about to open the door when his phone rang. He saw it was Jooheon and picked it up quickly.

“Jooheon?”

“Hyunwoo, can you come to the hospital?”

At the mention of the hospital Hyunwoo became really worried.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yes, I am” Hyunwoo sighed in relief before Jooheon continued, leaving Hyunwoo without breath.

“It’s Minhyuk”.

And Hyunwoo had never run so fast in his entire life.

 

When he arrived at Minhyuk’s room, Jooheon was waiting for him at the door. Hyunwoo was going to open it when Jooheon grabbed his arm.

“He’s asleep, but he’s okay. The doctors said he is fine, only his arm is injured but he’ll recover quickly” Jooheon said. Hyunwoo nodded and felt some relief, but he needed to see Minhyuk.

“Thank you, Jooheon”. Jooheon smiled before releasing him.

“I’ll be here. Come in, I’m sure he will want to see you when he wakes up. And don’t worry, I’m calling the others”.

Hyunwoo smiled and thanked him again before entering the room.

His heart stopped a bit when he saw Minhyuk. He was sleeping at the bed, with some cuts on his handsome face and a plaster on his arm. He approached the younger and sat by his side.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you like you always do with me, Minhyuk” he muttered.

A while passed before Minhyuk opened his eyes. Hyunwoo was close to him, sitting on a chair staring at him. Minhyuk seemed lost for a moment, and then he stood up abruptly.

“Hey” Hyunwoo said, stopping Minhyuk from going further and accommodating Minhyuk in his bed again, “calm down. Everything is okay”. Hyunwoo caressed his hair and for a moment Minhyuk let himself go in the touch, before reality hit him.

“They took him, Hyunwoo!”

Hyunwoo didn’t know what Minhyuk was saying, and looked at him with a confused face.

“Kihyun!” Minhyuk clarified, and his eyes started to get teary. “We were having ice-cream at the park when suddenly some guys came and took him. We tried to fight them, but they were stronger than us. The last I remember was Kihyun shouting my name while they were dragging him away”.

Hyunwoo gulped. He forgot about Kihyun, and now he just found that his friend got kidnapped and his partner got injured trying to save him.

“It was my fault” Minhyuk muttered, a tear actually rolling down his cheek. “If I was stronger I could have saved him. But I’m weak and clumsy”.

“Hey, it’s not your fault” Hyunwoo said, patting Minhyuk’s back to comfort him.

Before Minhyuk could say anything, the door opened and the rest of the squad came in.

“Oh my God, Minhyuk!” Wonho said running to his side, the others following him.

“You scared us!” Hyungwon said caressing his hair.

“Sorry I worried you guys” Minhyuk smiled sadly at them. All of them had worried faces. They kept asking what happened and if he was okay until Changkyun asked where Kihyun was.

“He’s not responding to my calls” Jooheon said.

Hyunwoo looked at Minhyuk, already knowing the answer. Minhyuk started to silently sob, but Hyunwoo noticed and held tightly his hand.

“He was kidnapped” he answered. The room fell in complete silence.

“By who?” Jooheon asked, but when Hyunwoo was going to speak seeing that Minhyuk wasn’t able to do it, a loud sound echoed through the room.

All of them looked at the direction of the sound, seeing an extremely angry Changkyun who had punched hard the wall.

“And you let them take him away?” he asked.

Hyunwoo was silent. Minhyuk tightened the grip on his hand, and Hyunwoo knew that guilty was consuming him.

“Changkyun” Hyunwoo said in a warning tone.

“I asked him, Hyunwoo. You have to answer for him, too? He’s so dependent to you that he doesn’t know how to defend himself, much less others!” Changkyun snapped. Everyone was surprised to hear the youngest talking like that not only to his boss, but also the eldest of them.

“That’s not it…” Minhyuk muttered. Changkyun glared at him.

“Then, what is it? You let them take Kihyun away! He was with you, you should have saved him!” Changkyun was also crying while shouting all those things to Minhyuk. Hyunwoo didn’t know what to say. He wanted to defend Minhyuk, but the outburst of Changkyun, his disciple, left him speechless.

“I’m sorry okay! I’m not strong enough!” Minhyuk shouted, also crying.

The room fell silent again, until Minhyuk cleared his throat.

“I know it’s my fault, I’m sorry”.

“That’s not going to bring him back” Changkyun stated, he wasn’t crying anymore but was clearly mad. “Do you know at least who took him?”

Minhyuk shook his head.

“They were covering their faces. I’m sorry”.

Changkyun made a tsk sound before walking to the door.

“So helpful” he said sarcastically, before slamming the door hardly.

Everyone flinched. Minhyuk lowered his head before saying a low ‘I’m sorry guys’.

“I’m going to talk to him” Jooheon said, and left the room following Changkyun.

“We know it’s not your fault” Wonho said grabbing Minhyuk’s other hand.

“We’ll found him, don’t worry” Hyungwon said and smiled at him.

Minhyuk nodded. He thanked them for visiting him but asked them to leave him alone for a moment. Everyone understood and left the room after encouraging Minhyuk again. When Hyunwoo was about to leave, Minhyuk grabbed his arm.

“Please stay” he said, and Hyunwoo couldn’t say no to that sad puppy eyes.

Hyunwoo sat on the chair again, but he still held Minhyuk’s hand.

“I’m sorry I disappointed you and Changkyun” he said.

“You didn’t disappoint me” Hyunwoo assured him, caressing Minhyuk’s hand with his thumb. “What has happened has been premeditated, I’m sure of it. No one of use could know, so it’s not your fault”.

“I’m so weak. What Changkyun said is true. I depend so much of you, Hyunwoo. I’m completely useless without you. I’m sorry”.

Hyunwoo couldn’t take it anymore, so he stood up and hugged Minhyuk.

“You’re not weak, Minnie. C’mon, don’t be like that. We’ll find a solution, and we’ll definitely find Kihyun so stop crying and being so harsh on you”.

“I appreciate your effort, but it’s useless. I’m-“

“Stop it!” Hyunwoo hugged him tighter, making Minhyuk stop talking. “Listen, I was so worried when I heard you were at the hospital. I’m mad that some people attacked us, but I’m relieved that at least you’re okay. So now you have to recover and we’ll find Kihyun together, okay?”

Minhyuk stared at him for a moment before nodding.

 

Minhyuk was discharged the morning after. Hyunwoo begged him to stay home since he still had the plaster on his arm, but Minhyuk refused, saying that he would be more helpful at the office. Hyunwoo regretted letting Minhyuk come when Changkyun arrived and glared at him. Minhyuk tried to apologize again, but the younger just ignored him and acted like if Minhyuk didn’t even exist. Hyunwoo wanted to reprimand the younger, but Minhyuk shushed him with a sad smile, saying that it was fine. But it wasn’t. Minhyuk and Changkyun’s friendship was as strong as his own friendship with Changkyun. Through that smile, Hyunwoo could see Minhyuk was suffering for both Changkyun and Kihyun.

The rest of the week passed by and the situation was the same. They didn’t have a clue on who could have taken Kihyun away nor where he could be. Changkyun kept avoiding Minhyuk like the plague, and Hyunwoo had to see with a heavy heart how Minhyuk’s smile disappeared. His heart ached in pain for his partner. Jooheon, Wonho and Hyungwon noticed the tension between the three but didn’t say anything. They wanted to help, but anything they could do would be useless. So they just remained silent while searching for Kihyun.

It was Monday morning when Minhyuk’s plaster was going to be removed. Hyunwoo insisted on accompanying him, but Minhyuk said it was fine and went alone. Hyunwoo spent the rest of the day at the office, searching any possible location where Kihyun could be. He tried to approach Changkyun to make the boy come back to his senses. But Changkyun wouldn’t listen to him. Hyunwoo wanted to be mad at him; but Hyunwoo’s nature is to remain calm in any situation. He couldn’t be angry with Changkyun; but he wasn’t going to let the boy keep treating Minhyuk that way either.

He came the next morning with the resolution of talking to Changkyun until he understood the situation, only to find a small note left on his desk besides a bouquet of white roses. He looked around, but there wasn’t anyone at the office yet. His soul left his body when he saw what was written on the note.

I’m sorry, Hyunwoo. I had to do it. Thank you for everything J

There was no name on it, but Hyunwoo already knew who left it. He grabbed his phone and dialed Minhyuk’s number. After the third ring Minhyuk picked it up.

“You saw it” was the first thing he said.

“Minhyuk, where are you?” Hyunwoo asked, more like demanding.

“I can’t tell you, Hyunwoo, I’m sorry. But I had to go. Changkyun is right; I’m so dependent of you. What happened to Kihyun was my fault. I’m going to find him alone. If anything happens to him I won’t forgive myself, neither will Changkyun”.

“But Minhyuk, where are you going to go? We don’t have a single clue of where Kihyun could be”.

“I’ll find him, no matter what. We’ve been only researching in the office, but if we don’t go out we’ll never know. I know it’s risky, that’s why I wanted to go alone. I’ll call you and tell you anything I’ll discover”.

“Minhyuk please come back. I’m worried about you”.

Minhyuk chuckled from the other side of the call.

“You’re so cute, Hyunwoo. I’m really going to miss you; but I won’t come back without Kihyun. He’s my best friend, I can’t let him down. I hope you understand”.

Hyunwoo sighed. He would have done the same if he was Minhyuk. Both of them like to handle things on their own, trying to involve the less people they can.

“Hyunwoo?”

Hyunwoo hummed to let him know he was still there.

“I’ll take care, okay? And I’ll call you every day. The boys need you. Take good care of them. And please take also care of yourself. Don’t go skipping meals or I’ll kill you when I come back”.

Hyunwoo smiled. Minhyuk always had a way to make him happy.

“Take care. And call me every day! If it goes a day and you haven’t called me, I swear I’ll take the guys and we’ll track the entire city and beyond until we find you”.

A small laugh could be heard from the other side of the call.

“Fine, I promise. Bye Hyunwoo”.

“Bye Minhyuk”.

And Minhyuk hanged up.

 

Like he promised, Minhyuk called every day. The first ones he didn’t say much; but the third one he said he had found a potential trace. He said he couldn’t give them many details; but the next day he gave them a name and said he was almost sure he knew who could have kidnapped Kihyun.

Hyunwoo was happy but at the same time worried about Minhyuk. The boys quickly started to work on the information Minhyuk provided them with; even Changkyu

Please log in to read the full chapter