Chapter 18

Beast

500+ views? Wow, seriously thank you to all the people who stopped by to read. I hope you folks are all enjoying it and feel free to put suggestions for improvements below.

 

 

Chapter 18

 

The turmoil in Adeline’s mind lasted throughout the night. What little sleep she got was riddled with dreams of Leo, his lips, his embrace and Adeline woke up feeling hot and bothered, an ache in her chest, making her feel sick. She woke in the morning in a sour mood, her mind still plagued by questions and stomach in knots. She could feel the warning signs of a headache and sighed, resigned to her mood. She ate in sullen silence in the dining room, one look at Leo and she knew that he had not fared better than her. There were dark circles under his eyes and his whole countenance spoke of resignation. He had not spared a glance at her. And to Adeline’s surprise it had upset her. He promptly left the table, muttering a hurried farewell to everyone.

The quiet after his departure was uncomfortable. The rest all choked down their food, rushing to get away from the claustrophobic feeling. Adeline remained, sitting in a daze till the maids came in, clearing away the clutter around her. The headache had come and Adeline felt her breakfast turning somersaults in her. She pushed away from the table and rushed away, unsure if it was the threat of tears or of being sick that had her hastening to her room. She ran into her bathroom in time before her stomach expelled her breakfast, retching over the sink she gagged on the feeling and stench, making it almost impossible to stop till there was nothing left. Adeline slunk to the floor, exhausted, tears trekking down her face and the first time in a long time, she wished her brother was here. She cried quietly till felt raw and sore and she had to force herself up from the cramped position she had been in. She cleaned herself up just in time to hear a faint knock on the door. Edith stood at the other side, a bucket and rags in one arm.

“I’m sorry to disturb Miss. I thought you would be out.” She stuttered looking at the ground. Adeline stepped out of the room allowing the young girl to go in.

“I’m afraid I’m not feeling too well today. You’ll have to clean the sink properly too, my stomach....” Her words petered out and she lay on her bed, feeling suddenly too limp and sore to move. Edith looked worriedly at her.

“Should I send for Dr. Lee Miss?” She asked. Adeline shook her head.

“That won’t be necessary dear. Please go on with your work but try to keep the noise down. I have a terrible headache.” Adeline replied, closing her eyes. Edit softly went to the window and drew the curtains, blocking out the sunlight before resuming her duties. Adeline fell into a fitful sleep, waking up an hour later, covered in a light sheen of sweat, and feeling like every bone in her body had been beaten. She struggled up feeling lightheaded and dizzy but made her way to the door. She wrenched it open and sped forward. She needed to get out of the house, she needed air. Making her way unsteadily to the front door she cried out in relief as the crisp autumn air cooled her fevered brows and cheeks. Taking a fortifying breath she marched to the stable, asking the boy there if he could get a buggy ready for her. He eyed her cautiously and she motioned for him to hurry, explaining that she needed to get to town to run some errands for Ceci.

The boy nodded and within minutes she was seated on a small buggy attached to an eager sorrel mare. They clomped steadily along and Adeline almost felt human. The forty-five minute journey had refreshed her, although she still felt queasy and rather strange. She felt feverish still and her bones still ached, but the more distance she put between herself and the claustrophobic atmosphere of her room, the better she felt and resolved to enjoy the outing. She really did have an errand to run for Ceci as they were busy making as many pretty dresses for the baby.

She got to the town in time to see the market area. It seemed quieter. Tying her horse to the post she ambled towards the stalls holding silk. The woman examined her young customer as Adeline looked at the various colours. “How much for this lace?” She asked picking up the pretty coloured lace to show. The woman quoted the price and Adeline counted the money and paid for her purchase.

“What is the lace being used for, Miss?” She questioned Adeline curiously. She smiled at the woman before promptly replying,

“I’m making a pretty dress for my friend’s baby. It’s to be a christening dress.”

The woman nodded warmly and bid her farewell, watching the dainty thing slip through the solemn crowd. It was nice to see a smiling face on a dismal day.

Adeline strolled through the market, curious to see the other artefacts. She loved looking at all the little odds and ends and even purchased a few little trinkets for everyone. She felt a lot better, even though her body ached slightly. As she squeezed past two women blocking her way a voice made her turn around.

“Joseph, where are you off to?” She greeted the young boy in front of her. She noted the sad look in his eyes, his ragged attire all black, “Is something wrong?” Joseph’s bottom lip trembled as tears welled up in his eyes. Alarmed, Adeline hugged him allowing Joseph to cry while she gently rubbed soothing circles on his back till he pulled away, wiping his face on his sleeves. “What is it darling, why are you crying?”

Joseph sniffled slightly, “Me mam’s dead.” He muttered casting his broken gaze to the floor. Adeline gasped before hugging the young boy to her again.

“How did she...?” Adeline could not finish her question. Her heart went out to him as he leaned into her hug, needing the maternal comfort he had lost.

“She died last night. Pa an’ I are the only ones left.” His said, his voice muffled in her embrace, “The doc said she had-”

“Adeline!”

Both Adeline and Joseph jumped, turning to the source. Hongbin and Ravi stood before them both looking genuinely alarmed at her presence. Hongbin strode forward angrily, “Why are you here at this time?” He asked harshly grabbing her arm.

“I came to get some things I needed.” Adeline responded. Hongbin scowled pushing her towards Ravi and instructing him to take her back to the house. As Ravi pulled her away she looked back to see Hongbin gently place his hand on Joseph’s forehead. She turned to face Ravi. He looked anxious and when Adeline voiced her question he shook his head.

“Let’s just get you back home, eh?” Was his only answer. He drove as though they were being chased by the devil and Adeline clutched onto the seat, praying to the heavens that they would not fall to their deaths. They reached the house quickly and Ravi calmly told her to go back to her room to rest.

Adeline made her way to her room, confused by Hongbin and his actions. This was the second time he had forced her back home. Going back to her room she sat down on the chair and picked up the book on the table, knowing all the while that she would not be able to read a word.

 

Ravi came to her room in the evening, by which time Adeline was beginning to feel like she had that morning. She had refused lunch and was feeling the fever creep up again. She had resigned herself to her bed, shivering under the blanket. Ravi looked her over; putting a hand to her forehead and drawing it back with a sigh.

“You have a bad fever.” He stated, “How’re you feeling?” Adeline sat up trying to look well and failing dismally.

“I’m fine, just a little flushed.” She assured him, smiling weakly, “I’ll be joining you in the dining room shortly. I don’t know when I fell asleep.” She babbled on as she slowly got out of bed, trying to walk steadily before stumbling, Ravi hurried over to her, helping her up as she laughed forcefully chastising herself for her clumsiness.

“You ought to stay in bed kid.” He insisted repeatedly as she pushed him out of the room.

“I’ll be down in ten minutes.” She affirmed stubbornly and Ravi had no choice but to walk away.

 

The ambience in the dining room was gloomy when Adeline stepped in. A few seats still remained empty and she questioned the ones already there.

“Hongbin’s in town still, and Hyuk’s gone to stay at Ceci’s as she will not be joining us tonight.” N reported back examining her sternly. Leo sat still looking down at his food. Ravi smiled slightly at her, trying to ease her discomfort. Everyone sat in silence and the meal dragged by slowly till N excused himself.

“Leo, Ravi I want you both to stay here in case anyone needs help. Keep an eye on everyone. I’m going to see if Hongbin needs my assistance. If we need you I’ll send someone for you.” He instructed meticulously looking at both men before turning his full attention to Adeline, “Adeline I want you to go upstairs and rest. If you feel ill let Ravi or Leo know, they will tend to you.” Adeline nodded mutely, mystified by his order. Leo and Ravi walked out of the room with N and Adeline stood slowly. She could hear muffled conversation behind the door and stepped forward to hear them better only to stumble. By now the dizziness was proving too much for her and Adeline could only hold onto the back of a chair for support. The room tilted at an odd angle, twisting one way then another, the need to throw up overwhelming her. She took deep breaths, trying to calm herself down before stumbling forward. The voices seemed to become more decipherable and Adeline could just make out the words ‘Keep a close eye on her. She might have caught it.’ Adeline shook her head trying to clear her foggy mind. She took another step forward, a hand stretched out towards the door. She blinked, wondering why her vision was hazy, why the door seemed so far away. Numbness crept into her and darkness swarmed her vision. There was a buzzing sound in her ears and it grew louder and louder.

“Help” She murmured, her own voice sounded foreign to her. No longer able to fight it she allowed her body to lose all strength. Just before she could fall however she felt strong arms wrap around her. She closed her eyes.

“Adeline...”

 

Leo had come back into the room just in time to see Adeline sway for a moment. Rushing forward he caught her as her knees gave out, cradling her in his arms.

“Adeline, Adeline wake up, can you hear me? Oh God, RAVI!” He yelled out and Ravi rushed in followed by N. They balked at the prone figure of Adeline.

“What happened?” N demanded rushing to his side alarmed. Ravi was yelling for someone to find Hongbin or another doctor, urgency in his voice causing near panic.

“I don’t know N, I came in and saw her standing but she collapsed. I just managed to catch.” Leo replied anxiously, “N we need Hongbin. I don’t have a good feeling about this.” N nodded and ran out and Leo stood up, holding Adeline in his arms and marched towards the medic room, Ravi hot on his heels. Bursting through the doors Leo gently laid her on the nearest bed, instructing Ravi to find the medical book. Ravi searched feverishly before he found the thick volume and rushed to Leo’s side with it. Leo snatched it to him, flicking through the pages quickly, trying to find the symptoms Adeline was showing, praying to whatever higher power there was, that it wasn’t what he dreaded.

“Leo you don’t think it’s..?” Ravi questioned, his voice low, trembling. Leo shook his head.

“Let’s hope not. Would one encounter cause this?” He retorted sharply, his sharp eyes quickly taking in the information before him, “High fever, flushed face, perhaps its pneumonia.” He muttered looking through the book as Ravi looked on helplessly.

Hongbin had come as quickly as he could when he got the message from N who took his place as he hastened back home. Tearing through the corridor he rushed to the medic room to find Leo and Ravi examining her. Both men looked up as he rushed in. “We’ve lost five more of our townsmen.” He proclaimed sadly, eyeing Adeline’s limp figure on the bed. Folding his sleeves he took charge as the two men helped him. He took his time, examining Adeline from head to toe till he was certain.  He looked back up at the waiting figures. His face and voice grim

“Scarlet Fever” He declared.

No...

 

The days since the epidemic swept the town went by with body counts rising at an alarming rate. Men, women, children, old and young alike were being buried, mass graves being filled. The small town became smaller within days and the people watched helplessly as their loved ones died. Those who survived were sent away, fearful of catching the deadly illness again.

Those who were in the house did not fare any better than those out. Within days Edith, Adeline’s maid, fell prey to the illness, unable to beat it she had died. Two more were being treated, hope dwindling as they struggled. Adeline, too, was struggling; Hongbin looked more and more resigned as the days went by, and sure that she would not make it. But it did not stop him from trying. Every day he tried something else, hoping it would work but coming up blank. His skills were quickly needed elsewhere and he was forced to delegate the patients at home to a junior physician who worked for him.

Adeline was watched by the other members of VIXX bar Hyuk who had been banished from the house, in fear of falling ill. He had been ordered to stay at Hongbin and Ceci’s house, and instructed to watch her like a hawk, and it may be noted right here and now, that he did his job well.

Leo watched over Adeline the most, staying up nights, patiently tending to every little thing, holding her hand and lisping prayers for her swift recovery. He guarded her, almost jealously, not allowing any of the others to stay with her for more than a few minutes at a time. He would rush to eat when cajoled by N, to let him stay with her, and would race back to her side the minute he was done. He was vehement when arguing with N and Ravi about informing Dominique.

“He’s her brother; don’t you think he has the right?” He whispered angrily to them.

N shook his head, “It’s too big of a risk and we can’t take that.” He replied just as sharply.

“Do you think he won’t try to kill us if we tell him when it’s too late?” Leo raised his voice slightly, allowing the anger to seep into his voice, “Damn it stop being a coward and inform him!” N looked furious at his words.

“Look, the both of you stop arguing.” Ravi stepped forward to prevent the argument heating up, “N, Leo’s right, we need to tell him. We can send a telegram to his house instead of the office. And Leo,” He turned to the tall, glowering figure, “We do have to be careful whether you like it or not, so instead of arguing just concentrate on looking after your girl.”  With a glare at both of them he left and a pressing stillness fell on them as they stood awkwardly.

Leo stepped forward after a while, “I’m sorry N” He mumbled softly. N turned his way and saw Leo standing close to him, “I’m just worried and-” N stopped him there, reaching up to pat him gently on his shoulder.

“It’s alright, I understand.” He assured, “I’m sorry too, I shouldn’t have snapped at you.” He sighed wearily, a weight on his shoulders bearing down on him, “I guess we’re all stressed.” Leo could only nod mutely, not trusting himself to speak. After a few moments N left, leaving Leo to his vigil. He sat by Adeline’s bed, taking her hand in both of his to clasp to his chest, lowering his head.

Are you testing me again, God? You’ve tested me enough. Please, don’t end it like this. Not like this, I beg you...”

 

Hongbin checked on Adeline again, putting the stethoscope to her chest as she lay prone on the bed. Her face red and covered in rashes which extended to her arms and other parts; she looked like she would die at any moment. Leo and the others looked on anxiously as Hongbin examined her. Slowly he took off the stethoscope and faced them.

“I don’t think there’s anything more I can do.” He whispered sadly, unable to face them he kept his face down, “I’m afraid to bleed her. She’s weak as it is and it might finish her if I try it.” N nodded slowly, turning to face Ravi.

“Have you sent out the telegram?” He asked. Ravi shook his head.

“I managed to call him instead.” He informed, “It was the hardest thing, telling him.” He frowned at the memory of the call. To his surprise Dominique had not blamed them, he had held onto the phone answering every question thrown his way till at the end he, Dominique, had broken down, pleading with him to save her life. Pressing his lips tightly together he prepared himself. “He said he will try to get here as quickly as possible. Let’s hope he’s on time to...”

Hongbin shot up suddenly, hurrying away from the room as the others, except Leo, looked on. Leo had not moved his eyes from Adeline and at Hongbin’s words it seemed that all the life had drained out of him. Ravi’s last words made his heart twist agonisingly, but he kept his face passive. No, he would not cry.

Ravi and N exchanged glances as Hongbin rapidly disappeared before them. “This is probably hurting him badly,” N muttered sympathy and pain laced in his words. Ravi’s shoulders deflated as he looked on, torn between staying with Leo and going to Hongbin, both seemed to be hurting so bad. N seemed to understand his dilemma, turning to him to say, “Go to Hongbin, make sure he’s okay. I’ll come and sit with Leo, I just need to speak to Ken and warn him to stay away from here for the time being as well. I’m afraid for Hyuk, that’s kid’s never had scarlet fever before. Let’s just hope he doesn’t catch it too or it will kill Hongbin.” Ravi agreed with him and after exchanging a few quick words he left promptly. N walked over to Leo, squeezing his shoulder.

“I’ll be back in a moment. Will you be okay?” He spoke softly, “Perhaps you should get some sleep, or you’ll collapse Leo.” He watched as Leo stubbornly shook his head. N could do nothing but heave a sigh as he left. How he wished he could stop this.

As N left Leo allowed his facade to crumble. Hiding his face in his hands he let it all come rushing forward, drawing a shaky breath. He wanted to scream, to shake Adeline till she woke up. He wanted to tell her, tell her to take off the black magic she had placed on him. And if she would not take it off, then she would stay with him, by his side. He sat trembling in his seat, feeling like a man tormented by demons.

Why are you doing this to me God? How much more will you put me through?” He whimpered, his voice catching as the first pang of heart break coursed through him.   

 

Hongbin was a wreck. Sat in his office all he could do was cry. This was not how it was meant to be. He was a doctor for Christ’s sake. How was he so incapable of not saving anyone? He had watched on helplessly as people died in his care, watched as the families cried out in grief. They said nothing to him, but in their eyes he saw the accusations. He was not a capable physician. It was better he quit now. Another sob had him choking as he tried to keep quiet. Frustration and guilt eating away at him till he felt as though it had nibbled through to his very soul, ageing him, paralysing him in his inabilities. What good was he, Hongbin, if he could not do what he had taken an oath for? How would he look after Ceci, their child, if he was so incapable of curing his townspeople?

So distraught, Hongbin did not hear the door open and close quietly. He remained still and silent till he felt strong arms enclose around him, and he broke down. Loud, ugly sobs wrenched their way out of him as he shook with its force. Never in his life, not even when his mother died, had Hongbin ever felt this helpless. He clutched on to his companion, crying till he could shed no more tears. Coming out of the embrace he leaned limply into his seat, a shuddering sigh escaped him. With red eyes and damp cheeks he looked at the man before him. Ravi held out a handkerchief which he gratefully took, taking deep breaths to calm himself down. Wiping away the tears he eyed Ravi hopelessly.

“I’m- I’m useless Ravi.” He croaked. His voice shook with effort of trying to talk properly, “What good are my skills, my education, if I can’t save the people I care about?” His voice cracked and Ravi stepped back, scraping a chair to Hongbin’s side he sat down, eyeing the broken man before him sternly.

“Now you listen to me Lee Hongbin” He ordered, “You are not useless. You have done everything in your power to help these people and they know it.” He squeezed Hongbin’s shoulders, trying to get him to believe in his words. Hongbin was a very good man and he genuinely cared about each resident of the house and those who lived in town, “But you are not God, you cannot control death. God does things for reasons we cannot hope to understand. You’ve done your best and the rest is in His hands.” He continued, lowering his voice to a whisper as he spoke. Hongbin looked a little better, managing a weak smile and thanked Ravi.

“Get some rest” Ravi asserted, “Leo is by Adeline’s side and we’ll keep an eye on her so you just sleep a little.” He studied Hongbin, “Good God man you look like you’re about to collapse.” He led a wooden Hongbin to the small couch and laid him down, going out to the small cupboard for the medic room blankets he strode back in covering Hongbin before ordering him to sleep which Hongbin gratefully fell into.

Leo had been sat motionless in his seat since that morning, his hands clasped to Adeline’s he kept his eyes on her, looking for a change, however small, to reassure him that she would survive. The ticking of the clock on the wall seemed to resonate loudly in his ears, his frayed nerves raw from the suspense. N had walked in again with Ravi in tow. They told him to eat, rest, do something other than wait for the inevitable like this, their words for Leo falling on deaf ears.

“I don’t understand why he’s reacting like this.” Ravi talked softly, “Has he ever been like this before?” He asked turning to N who shook his head in reply.

“He’s never been like this from what I remember. He’s always been so good at hiding his emotions that it sometimes feels like he never had any to begin with, but...” He sighed looking sadly at Ravi, “There’s only one time a man, even as stoic as Leo would be like this and it’s when they fall in love, only it’s too late.” Together, they could only watch as Leo encroached further and further into the fear and hopelessness.

 

Feeling rejuvenated from his sleep, Hongbin sat up, stretching his tall sore limbs to take the stiffness out of them. Couches do not make good sleeping places. No longer sleep deprived, he felt the vestiges of his helplessness ebb away, allowing his brain to function at full speed again. He strode over to his bookcase, taking out old worn out journals, determined to find a cure. He sat till his room grew dark, poring over the volumes with an urgency bordering on madness. When he could no longer read the words before him he lit the table lamp, allowing the soft brightness to make the undecipherable words readable. He flipped again and again, pausing here and there to read before flipping to the next page. He stopped at one point, picking the book up to better examine the words written before he marched out, book in hand.

By midnight it was clear, to Leo at least, that Adeline was not going to get better. He was slumped in his seat, a morose figure by her deathbed. The stillness of room was broken by the gentle snores of Ravi and N as they dozed in their positions, heads lolling back or drooped to the chest. The door bursting open had N waking up with a start and Ravi falling off his chair, Leo looked up to see Hongbin before him, determination in his eyes and pose. In his hands were small bottles of liquid, some clear, some coloured.

“I want all of you lot out.” He ordered as Ravi scrambled up and N eyed him with trepidation. Leo made no move to leave, ignoring Hongbin’s orders, only to be hauled out by the three men. The door slammed shut behind them, forbidding entry to all.

“What the hell is he up to?” N looked slightly annoyed and Ravi scratched the back of his head, yawning halfway between the waking world and sleep. Leo said nothing as he slid down to the ground, back against the wall he faced the doors, allowing the shadows flicking back and forth to confirm that there was activity going on in there.

Time seemed to go by at a snail’s pace as the three men waited. N was pacing the floor, looking over at the clock on the wall frequently while Ravi, who sat next to Leo, was sleeping soundly. Leo sat staring at the door, hoping that come morning he would see Adeline awake, not a corpse in her place. The thought of Adeline as a corpse had his heart twisting till the pain made him cry out quietly. N heard the noise and was at his side immediately.

“Leo, it’s going to be alright.” He soothed the distraught man, “Hongbin knows what he’s doing.” Leo kept his eyes shut tight to try and stop the prickly feeling. When he had regained control of his breathing and heartbeat he turned to N who had not looked away, the concern in his eyes shining through.

Leo managed a wry smile, “You know,” N nodded, hints of a smile on his sombre face, “You always seem to know me better than I know myself.” Leo whispered. N laughed softly, putting an arm around Leo’s broad shoulders.

“Instincts brother” He joked. Leo allowed another smile to lift the corners of his lips up. He could always count on his brothers to help. Footsteps from the closed off quarters had both of their attention trained on the door. Hongbin came out looking dishevelled but happy, or at least a little less grim. Leo stood up immediately and N had to shake the snoozing Ravi into waking up. As all three men stood before Hongbin he eyed each one, finally going to Leo and he nodded.

“She’ll pull through.” He answered the unasked question directed at him. N sighed with relief, happy that he would be able to give Dominique better news on his arrival. Ravi, still sleepy had not fully understood and turned to N quizzically who repeated Hongbin’s words laughing slightly. He was alert within moments.

“The kid’s alright?” He asked eyes opened wide, staring at Hongbin, “You are a miracle worker, that’s what you are.” Hongbin smiled appreciatively at Ravi’s words and N went rushing forward hugging each man before turning to the quiet Leo.

Holding him close N whispered, “She’s ok Leo, she’ll survive.” Leo’s arms, which had been hanging limply by his side, hugged back as he hid his face in N’s shoulder, a tear slipping down his cheek. They remained that way for a while N whispering words of comfort into his ear, all the while rubbing soothing circles on his back. The slight trembling of his shoulders did not go unnoticed by the other two and they joined in, laughing, crying and relieved.