Chapter 14

Beast

I'm sorry, French is not my first language (heck it's not even my second language.) I apologise for any misspelt words or wrong phrases. Feel free to let me know if I've written a wrong word or sentence in French. Enjoy this chapter and have a great day all. 

 

Chapter 14

 

The days after that incident slipped by; easily helped by the arrival of Ceci. Not bothering to take off her travelling coat she had gone straight to Adeline’s room and had started the budding friendship that helped her get over her home sickness. Between Ceci’s friendship and Ken’s jovial presence Adeline felt the last of her reserve melt away. She had, at first, felt strange on her first night having dinner with the members. Now, however, with Ceci sat next to her, the friendly banter and the occasional winks from Ken had helped her to feel at ease and enjoy the meal as well as the company.

Now as she sat looking around the table at the various occupants she marvelled at how at ease she felt around them. Even N looked friendly, nodding amiably at her and asking if the meal was to her liking. Ken, Ravi and Hyuk kept a camaraderie of conversation going, Ken doing impressions of everything from a dinosaur to a small dog resulting in peals of laughter from all the at table. Almost all that is, apart from Leo. He sat unmoving, face passive and unresponsive to everyone and everything. When the food had arrived he had eaten in silence, occasionally exchanging a quick word or two with N or one of the others. He had not glanced at Adeline once since he had entered the room. In fact it seemed as if he was not aware of her presence at all. 

The dining room was the smaller version of the one she had seen on her tour. The room was not full of expensive furniture but rather it had the cosiness of home with its simple furnishings. A table large enough to sit at least 8 people but its circular shape made it seem more intimate. A large, lit fireplace, cheerfully crackling away lent delicious warmth and a soft glow over everything in the room. There were paintings hanging on walls and Adeline wondered which ones could have been painted by Ken. The sofa near the window was stuffed with cushions, and Adeline almost hated to sit on it after the meal was over afraid that she would flatten the fat little things. She sat next to Ceci and they talked amiably as the men stayed at the table, quietly talking about everything and nothing. It felt homey.

“So, think you’ll like it here?” Ceci teased, smiling cheekily at the girl. Adeline smiled back, the comradeship already deepening.

“I suppose so.” She threw back. Ceci laughed merrily, attracting the attention of the men.

“What’s the joke Ceci?” Hyuk asked. Ceci shook her head, her eyes twinkling with fun.

Hyuk turned to Adeline pouting slightly, “Please tell me. I want to laugh too.” He whined cutely. It was funny and amazing how this boy, who exuded manliness, could behave so much like a little child behind closed doors.

“I was just telling Ceci that I suppose I ought to enjoy my stay here.” She informed him cheekily adding, “After all, it’s flattering to be in such handsome company.” She laughed at Hyuk’s wide eyes and blush. The other men around the table burst into laughter, all except Leo. He had been watching in silence, his gaze fixed on Adeline as she spoke. Without a word to anyone he stood up and stalked away.

Adeline had felt Leo’s piercing gaze on her at times, choosing to ignore the strange, silent man. She saw him leave, noting that none of the others tried to stop him. She had spoken to all the men here and their cordiality and effortless charms had melted her stiffness towards them. She had, however, yet to hear more than a few words fall from Leo’s lips since that day. Not one word exchanged between them. She felt ill at ease in his presence and hated to feel that way. She wondered what it was that made this man so silent.

Later that night Adeline lay on her bed, unable to sleep. She tossed first one way then the other, unable to stop the memory of Leo’s eyes holding her gaze. She dozed a little, waking with a start. Frustrated, she sat up, lighting the table lamp and taking the book from her nightstand to read. Within minutes the words blurred and heavy with sleep she lay the book down again. Turning the lamp off, she snuggled down under the blanket. ‘I will ask Ceci about Leo tomorrow...’ Was Adeline’s last thought before she drifted into the realm of dreams.

 

The next day dawned, a haze of golden light pooling at the foot of the bed as Adeline stretched languidly, allowing her muscles to loosen. She walked over to the window getting her eyes take in the beautiful view before her. The garden was bathed in the light of the sun, the sky a clear blue with soft tufts of white fluffy clouds, like snowy hills. She opened the window breathing in the warm fragrant air. With a smile on her lips she prepared for whatever the day would bring.

By the time Adeline had a chance to be alone with Ceci it was already late afternoon. They were resting underneath the shadow of a tree, a blanket spread under them as they lazily flipped through their books. Adeline looked over from where she sat to Ceci. She sat barely a foot or two away from Adeline, reclining on a cushion at her back, her book on her lap and her eyes glazed in dreaminess as she conjured castles in the sky. Ceci was a beautiful creature, large eyes a warm pool of chocolate brown, hair as black as a raven’s back, small pointed features and shapely pink lips, pale skin. In her cream, high waisted skirt and a white baptiste blouse, her ebony locks pulled into a low bun she exuded the elegance of a young Madonna. She had, no doubt, unknowingly pulled at the men’s heartstrings.

“Ceci, can I ask you something?” Ceci blinked, forgetting where she was for a moment before eyeing the girl beside her, looking at her through curious eyes.

“Yes, of course.” She replied. Adeline sat upright, her mind trying to form the proper wording of her question.

“It’s about Leo.” She began, almost reluctantly, “I wanted to ask about him.”

Ceci smiled laughing softly, “Oh Leo. Il est charmant, n’est-ce pas?” The sarcasm was not lost to Adeline who laughed good naturedly along.

“Oui, Bien sûr.”

Their peals of laughter echoed down to the ears of the workers close by.

When the laughter had died down and both girls had calmed themselves Ceci turned to Adeline, her dark orbs serious. “So what do you want to know about Leo?” She questioned. Adeline began to speak only to fall silent, pondering for a moment on what it exactly was she wanted to ask.

“Well, first how long has Leo been here? Has he always lived in this house?” She asked.

Ceci lowered her gaze; brows furrowed slightly, “He was twelve when he came, if I remember correctly. He’s now twenty six, so about fourteen years.” She looked up towards the sky leaning back gently against her cushion. Eyes glazed as the past came back, like haunted relics rising from the mist. Adeline wondered what the other girl remembered that brought a sudden sadness into her eyes. Ceci shook herself from her stupor and looked back at Adeline, the sadness replaced by her usual cheerfulness, “What else?”

Adeline thought about the next question, how to phrase so it did not seem inconsiderate or rude. But the question was such that no matter how many time she tried to rephrase it in her mind she could not get the words to fall in the right places. Giving up, she spoke again, “What does he do here? What made him come to this place? Was he kidnapped? Does he have a family? Why is he always so quiet? Does he hate me?” The last question was brought on by the fact that Leo always seemed to avoid her or glare at her. She could never read his expressions or figure him out. Ceci smiled sympathetically at her young friend.

“I don’t know much about his life before he came here,” She answered, “I am not aware of what he does as I am almost always away. I go to a girl’s finishing school in London so I only come home during my holidays.” She paused, allowing a moment’s silence to hover around them, “The people to ask these questions are the men he works with, his brothers. They know the most about him, but I highly doubt they have done more than scratch the surface. Leo is and always has been, a bit of an enigma. He keeps himself to himself and doesn’t allow many to enter his world. N, Ken, Hongbin, Hyuk, none of them know everything about him, not even my brother Ravi.” Ceci smiled at Adeline’s startled gaze.

“Ravi is your brother?” She asked, not quite believing her ears. Ceci nodded. Adeline sat back, processing this new piece of information. Not once had she thought that Ceci and Ravi were related but upon closer examination Adeline picked out features which were similar. "Wow so he really is your brother. How many years older is he?" Adeline asked curiosity at its peak. Ceci smiled.

“There’s only a three year gap between us but he behaves as if he were over ten years older. He's rather over protective" Adeline nodded knowingly a pang of sadness in her heart as she remembered her own brother.

"Dominique is the same. Although most times he encouraged me to learn things most girls don't he still had a streak of over protectiveness in him. He is my best friend but he became more mature after our parents died. He's had to carry the burden of looking after me and doing his job properly. I guess we are the lucky ones though." She sighed as she spoke, "Most children become destitute or are forced to move away from their siblings to live with different relatives in different parts of the country. At least I still have him." With that she turned her head away to hide her trembling lips, pressing them tightly together to stop the sob working its way to the surface. Ceci moved towards her and embraced her friend, feeling her own heart pang painfully.

As Adeline began to regain control of her emotions she spotted Hongbin walking down the path towards them. Ceci immediately raised a hand to beckon him to her and he immediately changed course, abandoning the path and making a beeline for them. Adeline had put her handkerchief away at Hongbin's approach and greeted him as he approached them.

"Good afternoon ladies." He began with a dimple clad smile; "May I join you two?" Ceci nudged closer to Adeline and patted the spot next to her.

"Please" She lilted and Hongbin sat down beside her, his gaze tender as he looked at Ceci.

"And how are you today?" He asked his, voice gentle and caring, momentarily forgetting Adeline who looked the other way. She began to feel like a fifth wheel suddenly and was just making up her mind to excuse herself when Hongbin's voice brought her back down to earth.   

“I’m sorry Hongbin, what did you say?” She asked.

“Ceci tells me that you have a few questions about Leo.” He replied. His dimples were gone and his eyes were serious. Adeline nodded. “What are they?” He questioned.

“Just wanted to get to know him better, I mean, he never talks and always ignores me and pretends I don’t exist. I have tried to get him to talk but he ignores me completely, but then he just silently watches me and doesn’t look away for a long time.” She shivered remembering his dark gaze on her, “He scares me.” Adeline confessed.         

 Hongbin smirked un-amused at Adeline's words. He took a deep breath. "It's quite a long story." He muttered, letting his memories push to the surface. "Where do I begin?"

"From the very beginning" Adeline coaxed. 

"The beginning.... I'll tell you what I've heard about him. Firstly Leo and Ken are brothers, half brothers to be exact." Adeline raised her eyebrows in surprise but made no interruptions as Hongbin spoke as though he were a storyteller, weaving tales in the air. 

"Leo is the son of a brigadier. The man was married to his wife for years and they did not have any children. He had bedded many women, including the servants in his own home. There was one he was very intimate with. A young girl from the Far East coaxed into coming here, no doubt under the guise of a paid job and better life only to be thrown into the reality of working long tiring hours at silk mills, as servants, as es, their lives twisted by the cruel hands of those who they belonged to, like objects."

"Leo's mother was one of those unfortunate souls who had fallen into the hands of a ruthless mill owner, only to be brought by the brigadier’s father. He made her work as a personal maid for his son's wife. And it goes from there. Leo's mother became pregnant within the year and had a son. His wife, unaware of her husband’s infidelity, took the child as her own. Two years later she had a son of her own but never differentiated between them, calling Leo her first born and Ken her second.

“Leo was five years old when the first event occurred. He had no idea that the maid who was his wet nurse was, in fact, his biological mother, but he still had a strong connection to her. Story goes that the wife found out about her husband’s infidelity and was so angry that she stabbed the maid. Leo had no idea and was told that his wet nurse had left. The wife went mad after that and her husband went from tolerating her to beating her, and even had other men her. It’s no surprise that she went mad.” There Hongbin stopped, his eyes lowered to the ground and a muscle jumped in his cheek. Ceci blinked back her tears as well, leaning forward to put one trembling hand on his shoulder. Hongbin sighed before resuming,

“Then, one night, seven years later he heard his ‘mother’ screaming and pleading and his father shouting. Leo is a sensitive person by nature and he could never bear to see anyone suffer so he ran into their room to see her on the floor, covered in her own blood, his father towering over her holding a bloodied belt. He shouted at him to leave but Leo refused, he tried to protect her and was beaten by him. And all throughout the beating his father shouted that the he was protecting was not his mother. That he was born a bastard, his mother, the wet nurse, was killed by her. I don’t know exactly what happened after that but in the end the wife died and Leo and Ken were found on the doorsteps of this house. Ken was unharmed but thoroughly shaken and Leo was injured, four deep gashes and some shallow cuts to his back, his forehead bleeding, covered in dirt and his own dry blood caked to him. N told me that his father commented on how empty Leo’s eyes were, like he was already dead.”

“He’s closed himself off from others. He had always been shy and after what happened he withdrew more and more into his shell. As you can imagine the snubs he received from the servants, the whispers, made it worse. They were all aware of the fact that Leo was the illegitimate son, a bastard as they called him. He had grown up around those whispers. It wasn’t until that night he finally realised why he was treated that way. It shattered the world he lived in.”

Hongbin finished, allowing the last few words to echo in the silence. Ceci was crying softly into a handkerchief and Hongbin began to comfort her. Adeline sat still, her own eyes blurred with tears. She thought of the man she knew, his silence, his coldness, it all seemed surreal and yet it made sense. She drew a shaky breath, and hesitatingly spoke, “What happened to his father?”

Hongbin looked up from where he sat, his arms around the narrow shoulders of the woman he was comforting. “I don’t know, probably dead and good riddance, he can go to the devil.” His eyes flashed with anger as he whispered those words, his voice shaking the power of his anger.

The silence that stretched before them was long and painful.

 

Adeline dreaded the evening meal that day; she could feel the eyes of Leo on her, piercing through her as if he knew her secret. She nibbled on the contents of her plate, and when asked if she was alright commented that she had a headache, excusing herself to rush to the solace of her room.

That night she tossed and turned in bed, weaving through the fog of sleep and nightmares. Nightmares where she heard the cry of a small child, begging, sobbing, writhing in pain on the floor as the belt went down again, and again till her vision was tainted in red, till she could feel every spasm of pain, till she could feel the cold metal of the belt on her back, slicing through skin, and she cried and screamed out. ‘Father... please.... don’t kill her, please....’ She saw the man as he lashed out again and again. Her father’s face contorted with hate as he stared back.

Adeline jolted awake, drenched in cold sweat, trembling with pain and fear. She sat shaking like a leaf, trying to stem the flow of tears she choked back on the sob rising in . Taking deep breaths to calm her erratic heartbeat Adeline lay back down. The hours ticked slowly by. For Adeline, sleep eluded her for the rest of the night.

Both girls sat in silence around the small table in Adeline room the next day. Neither spoke as they looked down at the meal spread before them. Ceci had come to Adeline’s room earlier, requesting to have breakfast with her, but both their food lay untouched as they simply looked at it. Adeline broke the long, thick silence.

“You didn’t know about this?” She asked the other girl. Ceci shook her head, lifting her eyes to Adeline’s. Both girls had dark shadows under their eyes, a reminder of their sleepless night.

“Ravi never told me the whole story. Now I know why.” She in her breath, quelling the sob that almost came out, “Poor Leo.” Adeline pressed her lips together.

‘Poor Leo....’

 

Hongbin was in his study when Adeline walked in. He looked surprised at her sudden appearance and immediately noticed the pale look and dark shadows. He sprung up, concern in every movement.

“What the devil happened to you?” He demanded walking over to her. Adeline smiled ruefully.

“I couldn’t sleep last night, that’s all.” She replied, her voice sounding strange to her own ears. Hongbin eyed her, his features set in serious tones. Adeline sighed, “What you told me about Leo,” She began hesitantly, “Is it all true?” Hongbin’s brows lowered.

“You came here to ask that?” He said, looking slightly offended, “Everything I told you about him is true. I told you what I know.” He declared. Hongbin narrowed his eyes at her, “Why are you asking me this?” Adeline stood rigid, head bowed in shame. She didn’t want to believe it was true. That someone of such high esteem could commit such atrocities.

“I just- I can’t believe it. How could someone do that to others? Poor Leo”

Hongbin leaned on his desk, arms folded. “Poor Leo? No, don’t pity him; he doesn’t like being pitied, not by your kind at least.” Adeline looked up, confused.    

“My kind?” She echoed.

“Yes, your kind. The kind that has a nice house, wealth, parents who pamper, servants to do your bidding, businesses which are passed down from father to son, taxes which are shirked,” He made little ticks in the air, “The type that do charity for show, putting a few pennies into donations and talking big about how much they gave as though they were doing the poor a favour, when in fact it’s their goddamned duty to help those in need. The ones who keep their homes and families immaculate on the outside but on the inside hold such disgusting and dirty secrets and lies. Shall I continue?” He asked mockingly.

Adeline stood shaking with rage as Hongbin continued.

“Have your doctors ever treated a patient who could not afford the medical fees, or gone to their homes to help deliver their children? Have you ever gone into their homes and seen the squalid conditions they live in?” He challenged, “You have no idea, and how would you know? You stay behind the protection of high walls and carpeted rooms.” His voice dropped to a whisper, “You have no idea of what they have to go through every day, but now you do and instead of feeling pity and doing nothing why don’t you use your extra money for their well-being?”

Adeline shook in anger, tears shining in her eyes. “My father” She began with a quivering voice, “Has always, always done his best to help. Every week my parents and a group of friends would go down to the old quarters of our town. They would give them money, medical aid, food, logs for fire. I have gone there myself many times; I have helped my mother while she helped another woman give birth. We do not ignore our neighbours and you have no right to paint all of us in the same colour.” Quickly she turned away, wrenching the door open and rushing out. Hongbin watched her leave as the anger drained away, to be replaced with a sense of shame.

 

Almost a week had gone by since the argument between them when Hongbin walked over to Adeline, hands out in apology. His voice was sincere, the regret in each timbre of his voice as he mumbled his apologies over and over. Adeline’s stiffness melted and she promptly forgave.

“It’s not entirely your fault. I have been a goose myself.” She confessed, “I'm sorry for what I said.” Hongbin grasped her hand in his, shaking it energetically a laugh bubbling to the surface.

“Goose-minds think alike.” He joked. It broke the tension and the awkwardness in the air.

“And you’re right; there are many rogues amongst my kind. I guess none of us are good at being good.” She laughed at her own comment as Hongbin sat on the bench opposite Adeline watching her as she fiddled with the book in her hand. “Where is Ceci today?” She asked.

“She went out to see a new family that recently moved into town.” He replied. Adeline cocked her head to one side, confused. Hongbin rolled his eyes at her, “We live on the outskirts of a small town, Adeline.” He informed her gravely, “Where did you think we lived, No man’s land?”

“Wait there’s a town here?”

“Yes, do try to keep up.”

Adeline glared at Hongbin as his smile widened in mischief. She huffed, pouting slightly.

“Adeline?”

“Hmm...?”

She looked towards Hongbin to see the smile gone. He looked almost worried, “What is it?” She asked.

He cleared his throat, “I wanted to explain what I said to you that day. Please will you hear me out?” Adeline nodded and motioned for him to start.

“Every single one of us,” He began, “Almost every single one of us have a past that scarred us, and haunts us. We carry two types of scars, the first are the wounds that heal, leaving nothing but a faint shadow of pain, the other, and a more permanent one is the one we carry in our memories, in our hearts.”

Adeline nodded, “I understand. There are some things that cannot be forgotten, no matter how many years pass.” She whispered thinking of her parents.

“Yes, that’s true,” He continued, “Let me tell you about my own one scars.” He waited for Adeline to reply. She sat straighter, all attention in his direction.

“I was also, like Leo born to a mother who was from the Far East. She was poor; losing both mother and father she had to work hard to provide for her younger siblings. A merchant had come to the city where she lived to stay for a few months and she was employed to work at his house as a maid. Rumours went that he had fallen for her, smitten by her exotic looks. He took her to his bed and she fell pregnant. She was five months into her pregnancy when he left, to go back to the West. They exchanged letters, he told her about his life in his homeland, promising to send for her after he gets his parent’s consent. He sent her message after message with the same promise, however a few months after her first child was born the letters stopped coming.”

“She thought he was dead and mourned only for him to show up at her door two years later. He apologised and said that he had been unwell. She forgave him and went to his arms again. This time he stayed for the full duration of her pregnancy, held her during the long hours of labour and wept when the kind doctor put a small bundle in his arms. He had two sons now. I believe he did love her. A week after the birth he left again for his home. This time along with the letters came jewels and other little objects which she sold to feed her children and her siblings. By this time no one wanted an unwed mother to work for them, afraid of her influence on others. Some of her younger siblings had left her; they ran away from the labels put on her, afraid it would rub off on them.”

“She had been saving her money, every precious item he sent her she sold, putting aside a portion of it, hiding it in a buried pot in the back of the hut they lived in. As the years went by the letters became fewer and fewer. One day they stopped again. This time though she did not grieve. Hurt by his false promises she took the money she had been saving up and bought three tickets on a passenger ship. She could only afford third class tickets. What she had left over she used for food and new clothes for her two sons. By now the eldest was ten and the younger one almost eight. There were only two pieces she had not sold and she took them, hoping to sell them once they reached the other side. She fell ill during the journey, luckily escaping death and once they reached shore she went to find him. There was a return address which, to her dismay, no longer existed. She used what little English and French she had learnt from him to find work in a mill. She worked long back breaking hours and got only the smallest payment. Then one day, almost a year after she had arrived with her children she saw him again. She was in town when she saw him, he was stood next to a woman and she watched in horror as he pecked her lips. It broke her heart.”

“It was then that her health began to deteriorate. As her sons looked on helplessly she gave up living. Then one day she told her eldest son to find his father, hoping that he would at least recognise his sons and look after them. Her hopes were in vain. After searching for months, while avoiding the poorhouse he finally found his father. When he learnt of their arrival here he promptly took them into his carriage but instead of taking them home, he took them somewhere else. It was an area filthier than the one they had lived in. The man paid someone who took them away. They struggled and the eldest picked up a broken bottle. He stabbed the man with it repeatedly. They managed to escape but they had nowhere to go. Their father would only try to get rid of them. They found themselves at the path of a man who took the two boys with him. Within a matter of days they became the residents of an old mansion. This man, who saved them, was the leader of a mafia gang. He had a son who was in his teens. These criminals became their saviour. And that’s my story.”

Adeline listened in shocked silence as he recounted his tales to her. When he had finished he drew a shaky breath, blinking the moisture away from his eyes as he sat with his hands fisted on his knees. Once in control of his emotions he looked up smiling sadly at her.

“Not the nicest of fairytales, is it? He croaked. Adeline stood up silently from her perch and sank to her knees in front of him.

“No, probably not” She replied, her own voice hoarse with unshed tears, “Did your brother make it?” She asked. Hongbin smiled, amused by the question.

“Yes” He answered chuckling a little, “He lives here and answer to the name Hyuk.” Adeline widened her eyes.

“Why is everyone related to everyone here?” She muttered feeling embarrassed by her continued surprise of finding out the history of the six men she had come to know and get along with. Hongbin laughed.

“What about Ravi, Ceci and N?” She prompted, “Wait let me guess. They are cousins!” Hongbin laughed again before flicking playfully at her forehead.

“No luck. N doesn’t have relatives. At least none he hears from. And Ravi and Ceci were born into a married couple’s family. They loved each other madly in public and hated each other just as passionately behind closed doors. He was an established businessman and she was a society gossip. Ravi ran away and came across N and his father who allowed him to come here and live with them. He crept back a year after he had run away to get his sister. He doted on her, still does. He has been brother and father to her in a way. But he was always regarded as the black sheep in his family.” He smirked at Adeline and smiled back. Black sheep or white, she had a soft spot for the tall, blond haired man.

After that they allowed the conversation to take a more pleasant route. Hongbin and Adeline chatted gaily, shortly joined by Hyuk and Ceci who had returned from their respective outings. Hyuk fell onto a lazy heap on the bench, next to his brother, about the world and its occupants as the others laughed. Hongbin smacked the back of his head lightly and was promptly told off by Ceci as she rubbed the spot. Watching them bicker jokingly with each other, Adeline smiled. It was like being home again.