Chapter 17

Beast

Chapter 17

 

The first days of autumn were a mixture of warm sunny days and cool nights. The leaves were the first to show the approaching changes, turning into browns, golds and reds. The twittering of summer birds slowly changed as they flew away for the winter, promising to return in the spring. In his private study, Leo sat facing the window. His hair had grown longer, almost touching his shoulders as he swiped a stubborn lock away from his eyes. He remained in his seat, allowing his thoughts to the forefront of his mind.

Leo’s thoughts were constantly floating towards Adeline. Her arrival in this house seemed to change something in him, and Leo wasn’t sure if he liked feeling that way, so vulnerable to wounds. When N had first told him he was assigned to keep an eye on her he had been uncomfortable to say the least. Girls he avoided with a passion, having seen the effect they had on unsuspecting men who would have barked when ordered and when the girls chose to throw away their play thing Leo saw the heart break in those men. Nope, Leo never wanted that. Flesh wounds he could deal with, but wounds that went any deeper than that were the things to avoid like the plague. Heck, he would much rather have had the plague than fall in love. That had been his thinking till Adeline came. And that first day he had, he had to admit, fallen for her.

First he avoided being close to her as much as possible, choosing to observe from afar. He had looked on jealously as Ken and Adeline’s friendship flourished. He had even been jealous of her friendship with Ceci. To him, Adeline was the person to bring him out of his solitude, but the problem was he could not reach out to her. Scared that she would flee from him like that day when he found her in the greenhouse, he shut himself up. Sure he had managed to extend the hand of friendship which she had graciously accepted but how would the friendship remain if he did not talk to her? For that was the main barrier. The members of VIXX and others in the house and town all knew him well enough to know he was not a talkative person, but to this newcomer he, surely, was a strange man. He would have to talk one day. Leo sighed, frustrated with his lack of courage to spark a conversation with her. Leaning forward he placed his hands over his face.

“What’s wrong with you?” He questioned himself feeling the rising of insanity at his thoughts, “Stop being so god damned scared. Just stop!” No matter how many times he ordered himself though, he could not make the next step any more easier. Giving up he leaned back in his chair again, feeling a strange ache in his heart. Leo stood up, raking a hand through his already dishevelled hair, mind made up to do as much work as possible he wrenched his door open, nearly colliding with the figure on the other side.

“Goodness, you frightened me.” Adeline gasped startled at the vision of a wild eyed and haired Leo. He stood gaping at her, convinced his madness was making him see things. He shook his head, and Adeline looked at him, worried, “Are you alright?” She asked stepping closer to examine him.

Leo jolted back, shaking his head again, mumbling a quiet, “I’m fine.” Adeline felt torn between dragging him to Hongbin and letting it go. Leo regained his composure, quietly breathing in before puffing his cheeks out to exhale. Once in full control of his wandering thoughts and irregular pulsing in his chest he focused his attention on Adeline. She was dressed in a light green coloured skirt and cream blouse, her small feet in equally small boots. Leo noticed the way her eyes shined, almost feverishly at him and her cheeks were a slight shade of pink.

“Where are you going?” He asked, taking in her modest appearance admiringly.

“I’m going into town. I wanted to ask if you would like to join me. I wanted to see how the Caron children were doing.” She replied gaily. Leo pondered over her request. He had wanted to see her since that morning. For the past few weeks since the wedding Leo had not been able to get his mind off her and he seemed to almost be haunted by illusions of her. It did not help at nights when he could not sleep, swept by desire to hold her close and sweating with effort to keep those unspoken desires at bay. But he was a man, a man weakened by the desires he had kept deep inside for far too long. Without a second thought he accepted the offer and they set off together within minutes enclosed in the small buggy.

“I love autumn colours. They’re so bright.” She stated, casting glad eyes on the myriad of colourful leaves on the trees and ground. She turned to him as he guided the mare to the lane, “What’s your favourite season?” Leo cast a side glance at her.

“Spring and autumn” He answered simply, “Yours?”

“Autumn and winter”

“Why?”

“Autumn because of the changes it brings. Everything seems so colourful and bright and winter because I love snow.” Adeline replied. Leo smiled to himself at her answer, missing Adeline’s next words.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” He asked and Adeline voiced her question again.

“Why do you like spring and autumn?”

  “Because of the changes they both bring.”

Adeline nodded in assent as the mare clopped along and Adeline let the clip-clop noise of its hooves take over as they passed the tree lined paths and the golden fields to town.

The town was bustling with people, Leo and Adeline struggled making their way through the throng. It was fish market day and many of the women had gone to haggle for the slimy sea creatures, the smell overpowering Adeline as she tried to hold her breath, holding her skirt up she dodged the little puddles of sea water till they reached the other side of the street. Children ran past them shouting and laughing and more than once Leo had to grab and hold Adeline close to him to avoid being trampled by the buggies and carts and each time he held Adeline to him, Leo felt a jolt of electricity run through him.

They finally made it to the Caron’s little house, the lopsided house stood a little back from the main street, the fence around it worn and broken in places. The house looked tired and worn, a broken window and the hole in its roof, indicating its old age. Leo and Adeline walked quickly to the front door and knocked. A flurry of movement could be heard and the door cracked open to show a pair of dull brown eyes peering out of the gloom.

“Good morning Joseph.” Adeline greeted as the door swung wider to reveal the owner of the brown eyes. The boy was a small little waif, barely going up to Adeline’s waist, skinny arms and legs sprouted from his body and the worn clothing he donned seemed too big for his small frame. Dirty black hair and dirt smudged face he looked like a lost child. He was in fact already thirteen. “Is your maman home?” The boy nodded, stepping aside to allow them in.

“Hello Joseph, it’s good to see you again.” Leo greeted shaking hands with the boy as solemnly as though he was addressing a business partner.

The inside of the little house was as worn out as the outside. What little light that came from the dirt ridden windows emphasized the dank surroundings. The house was really just one big room, separated by a tattered curtain. An old bed and a table with three broken chairs were on one side of the room while the other had an old broken range. On the floor lay rags as dirty as the floor. Adeline’s heart lurched painfully in her chest and she quickly focused her attention on the thin woman who lay quietly on the bed.

“Emma, what’s happened to you?” Adeline cried out rushing to her side. The frail woman tried to lift herself up only to fall back into bed, her slight frame shaking violently with coughs and Adeline held her, signalling Leo to bring water. Putting the glass to her lips Adeline let her slowly sip a little before Emma sagged, leaning on Adeline. Leo crouched staring intently at her, eyes raking over her as Emma wheezed.

“Stay with her.” He ordered standing up, “I’m going to get Hongbin.” With that he rushed out as Adeline looked on.

 

Leo had returned with Hongbin no later than one hour after he had left, needing to hunt him down first before almost dragging him back to the small house. In his absence Adeline had cleaned, using an old cloth to wipe the grime away from the windows, allowing more sunlight to filter through. Next she had taken young Joseph with her to the first market, where she brought a big fish and some vegetables. She was almost done cooking when Leo and Hongbin rapped on the door and was greeted again by Joseph. Hongbin stepped in first then stopped as he noticed Adeline standing by the range.

“What’re you doing here?” He asked sternly, placing his bag on the now clean table.

“Cooking” She commented looking inquisitively at his stern gaze. Hongbin turned to face Leo who had stepped in and glared at him.

“Get her out of here Leo.” He ordered. Leo looked at him and a silent exchange was made. He looked at Adeline nodding for her to listen. She sighed, fumbling with the cloth around her waist and picking up her belongings before she was propelled out by Hongbin, closely followed by Leo.

“Well that was odd.” She announced looking quizzically up at Leo. He led her back to the buggy, settling in beside her before they set off.

“He’s afraid you might fall ill as well.” Leo commented gently. He glanced at Adeline briefly, feeling somewhat apprehensive and hoped nothing would come out of this little visit.

Adeline grumbled all the way, complaining under her breath till they reached the house. Leo helped her down, handing the reins to a young boy who bowed before walking away, hand gripping firmly on the reins. Adeline and Leo walked inside together. Adeline was still mumbling under her breath, her face stormy and Leo had to muffle a laugh behind a cough. He watched Adeline walk a few steps ahead of him, her heels clicking loudly on the marble floor till she stumbled, falling in an uncivil heap on the floor. Leo rushed to her side and helped her up, the laughter now bursting forward at her dishevelled appearance and grumped features. He laughed loud, his voice reverberating down the corridor, stopping the words that were forming on Adeline’s lips. She looked at his doubled over figure staggered by the suddenness of it all. It was as though he had transformed into a different person, someone not quite Leo.

“You’re laughing” Adeline sputtered bemusedly. Leo clutched his sides trying to calm himself down before he could finally look at her, his face a mixture of guilt and humour.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t help it. Your face...” He stopped, biting his lips to stop another onslaught of laughter fighting its way to the surface. His eyes twinkled merrily, his face flushed from his last fit and his stance seemed to change him from the brooding and silent gang member into a cheerful, friendly young man. Adeline looked at the changes before her, drawn to this man who confused and confounded her. Leo had managed to calm himself down, aware of the inquisitive looks from the maids walking past. He noted the look on Adeline’s face and grew worried. Had he offended her?

“I truly am sorry; I shouldn’t have laughed like that.” He apologised sincerely. Adeline shook her head, almost as though she were ridding herself of her thoughts.

“It’s alright.” She responded, “I was just surprised. I never thought you had it in you to laugh out loud like that.” She smiled reassuringly at him and Leo was stunned by it. Adeline, in his eyes seemed to glow, not like the many women who powdered and primped and turned into fashion plates. It was natural, unearthly and breathtakingly beautiful.

“You have a beautiful smile” He remarked unaware that he had even said it out loud until he caught Adeline’s lowered eyes and the blush on her cheeks. He stepped forward, hypnotised, drawing her closer to him, embracing her. Her arms hung limply at her sides for a moment, before she leaned closer to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. They stood in silence, their hearts beating in rhythm, afraid to speak lest it break the spell.

 

 

They exchanged silent glances during dinner. Adeline’s stomach full of butterflies and Leo’s too. Hyuk had noticed the quick glances they threw at each other, and began to tease them mercilessly while the others looked on. N, Hongbin and Ravi looked at the tableau before them confused and Ceci smiled smugly, seeming to be in on a little secret. She whisked Adeline away after dinner, dragging the poor girl behind her as she walked as fast as she could permit herself. Going into the library Ceci closed the doors, needing complete privacy to begin her interrogation.

“What’s going on between you and Leo?” She demanded sitting across from Adeline. She could see the way Adeline’s eyes lowered, colour painted her cheeks and she nibbled on her lips. Ceci waited for an answer, pretty sure that she already knew, “Adeline, Leo’s behaviour seems to have changed slightly. He lingers after dinner, smiles and talks more. Obviously there’s something going on. I thought friends never kept secrets.” She said mimicking Adeline’s words.

Adeline let out an exasperated sigh, “I don’t know Ceci.” She confessed resignedly. True they were on better terms than when she had first arrived and Adeline could call him a good friend without a doubt but there seemed to be an underlying emotion hidden in its depth. Not just friendship, not quite love, “He’s a friend, a good friend but, oh I don’t know, sometimes I feel like there’s something more, like it’s on the tip of our tongues but neither of us want to say anything, and then sometimes it feels as though we are just mere acquaintances.” She flung her arms up in the air frustratedly, “I just don’t know what to think and I don’t want to.” She finished tiredly, and Ceci looked sympathetically at her chum putting an arm around her.

“You poor darling” She cooed, letting Adeline sag against her completely drained, “Perhaps I should talk to him. See what he says?” Adeline shook her head.

“No it might embarrass him and he may not feel that way” She stated, “Although...” She sat up again facing Ceci, “That day Leo took me to his greenhouse he gave me a rose and...” She hesitated looking at the floor, “He kissed me.” She whispered, “And I kissed him back.”

Ceci choked on her breath gaping hard at Adeline who remained staring at the floor. It took three tried before she could say anything in response, “D-did anything else happen?” She asked after a moment’s hesitation. Adeline could only nod mutely.

“Today he hugged me.” She answered limply, “Ceci, what’s going on, why is he doing all this?” She wailed completely at a loss. Leo did things to her, made her feel strange, almost as though she was under his spell. She couldn’t explain why she had hugged him back- or even kissed him back for that matter- but it was the constant shadow that seemed to hover over her thoughts and make their friendship teeter dangerously. Both had something to say to the other, but neither wanted to. Or that’s what it felt like to Adeline at least. And so she told Ceci everything, every feeling every detail of their conversations, and time spent together, everything that happened at the reception, “It’s not like we’re actually together but he told those girls I was his beau. Does that make sense?”

Ceci, who had remained quiet during Adeline’s monologue, had taken to pacing the floor, deep in thought. Finally after what felt like a millennia she turned to Adeline. “So first he apologised to you and he even touched your cheek, where that man hit you, right?” Adeline nodded, “Then he gives you a rose and kisses you, he spends time with you in the library or in the gardens, doesn’t talk much- what else can we expect- but keeps you company, he danced only with you, after dancing with myself, he takes you to town and back and he also hugged you just today... What does all this mean?” She mused to herself. And then it came to her and she almost hit her head at not having realised before. She approached Adeline, “Do you think, perhaps, he might have feelings for you?” She put forth the question slowly, hesitant.

Adeline’s eyes grew wide. Leo might have feelings for her? That did not seem feasible to her. She had not been fortunate enough to experience love of that sort before but her classmates had crooned about their countless suitors and how they lisped poetry, spoke in prose and did all manner of other things which had Adeline curdling inside. But Leo had not done a single one of those. Sure he helped her get on and off the buggy, but so had Hongbin, Hyuk and Ken. But he had not lisped poetry, nor crooned lovingly at her, the thought had her almost explode in laughter, trying to imagine Leo with a sappy, lovesick look to his face. She shook her head to clear her thoughts.

“No” She said shaking her head at Ceci, “I don’t think he’s the type of person to fall for someone so easily. He doesn’t strike me as that type.” Ceci pondered over this for a moment before speaking up.

“But he’s doing things he’s never done. I know him well Adeline and you’re right, he’s not the type to fall for someone so easily or quickly. This would explain his never courting. In fact if I remember correctly he had at one point confided that he would never court someone unless he was confident that she would be the right one for him. And to this day he has kept those words. If it’s not love or affection then why would he be doing these things?” She looked at Adeline, “I know love. It’s never the same for everyone. I had imagined my tall, dark and handsome suitor to speak like someone from Shakespeare’s time, recite words from Romeo and Juliet. But Hongbin and his actions towards me were nothing of the sort. He was awkward and stumbled through his words and made a complete mess of his confessions. Perhaps this is Leo’s way of showing you his affections; after all he’s a man of very few words.”

Adeline silently took note of those words, mulling it over and over in her mind. Ceci stood up again, patting her shoulder before she walked to the door. Opening it wide she turned back, “Perhaps it is love Adeline, but not the type you’ve read or heard about.” And with those parting words of wisdom she left the room, throwing Adeline’s thoughts into turmoil. It seemed as though it was possible for Leo to have feelings for her. Did she, too, harbour feelings for him? It was a question she could not answer. Because it scared her          

 

 

In N’s study Leo was stood facing the fire, leaning on the mantelpiece. His face composed as always. N sat behind his desk, surveying his right hand man. He had noticed the changes in him as the days had gone by. And he knew that it was the arrival of the girl that had changed him. Leo was not just his right hand man but he was also a friend, an ally, a brother and he knew that something about Adeline was drawing him to her, changing him. And N feared for him

“Leo?” He called out softly, catching the attention of the younger man. Leo turned his dark gaze to N, silently answering his call. N allowed his professionalism to take over, signalling him to sit across from him. Leo walked mutely to the appointed chair and sat down, not breaking his gaze. N sighed, preparing himself for a one sided verbal battle.

“Leo, tell me honestly” He pleaded, “What’s going on between you and Adeline?” He watched Leo’s expression change, a minute thing which, had he not been looking properly, he would have missed. Leo’s eyes grew darker, almost brooding, unsettling his features for a mere second before the mask was back in place.

“I have no idea what you mean.” He stated. Both men held their gaze, a silent battle of wits raged between them. Eventually one would fall.

“Leo she is the inspector’s sister. If you harbour any feelings for her I suggest you let go of them. You’re venturing on dangerous grounds.” Leo blinked once, a sudden weariness in his eyes.

“I know what she is”

“Then why?”

“I can’t answer that”

“Why not”

“Because I don’t know myself”

N’s stern features softened at Leo’s words and he realised, to his dismay, that it was probably already too late. Leo was in love with Adeline.

“Be careful Leo.” He warned quietly, “If anything goes wrong, we could all be in a lot of trouble. You should not mix business life with personal life. Someone’s liable to get hurt.”

Leo nodded mutely, his gaze now on the table, not seeing anything. “If that’s all N I’ll take my leave. Goodnight.” He said softly. N did not bother to look his way as the door closed behind Leo.

Leo leant against the door, still holding the knob with one hand. His thoughts in a whirl, he ambled slowly to his room. Not bothering to change he fell to his bed, heaving a weary sigh. As the night ticked slowly away Leo lay still, troubled by his thoughts, and his feelings.

N’s right’ he thought sadly, ‘someone’s liable to get hurt.’