Chapter 15

Beast

Chapter 15

 

It was late summer now, the sweltering heat of the day, giving way to cool, starry nights. For Adeline, it seemed as though she had lived amongst these people all her life. The months had flown by swiftly, spring flowers giving way to more exotic floras of the summer. Adeline found more of Leo’s beloved roses blooming. These specific ones would bloom in winter or so she had been told.

Adeline had taken a great deal of interest in going to the town. She had first gone with Ceci, Hyuk and Ravi and had met with many of the people living there. Her heart had broken to see the people suffering through poverty and her hosts had looked on in surprise as she rolled her sleeves back and got to work. Her second and third visit had also warranted a surprised look by Hongbin and a quiet Leo as she helped a woman to deliver her baby, cooing at the little face scrunched up and wailing out loud, cleaning and wrapping the baby in her own shawl and gently handing her over to her mother. The woman had looked up at her, lisping many words of thanks and was shushed and made to rest while Adeline set about cooking and cleaning. Hongbin had watched her in awe as she bustled about, his respect for her growing. Adeline played with the children in the dirt, clasped an elderly woman’s hands to her own as she spoke gently to her, feeding her small spoonfuls of broth. Leo had watched her silently as he repaired some of the broken windows and fixed the hole in the roof. Both men carried their information back to the house and discussed Adeline’s actions over dinner, much to the discomfort of the young girl who could not keep her head up throughout the entire evening as they complimented her endlessly. Best of all was Leo suddenly walking towards her perch and sitting down next to her. The whole room had immediately grown quiet as the men gawked at his actions. The pin drop silence seemed too much for Leo to bear and after whispering hurried thanks he had rushed out to peals of laughter from his brothers.

 

Now as the August heat weaved its way through the gardens Adeline was sat under the shade of her favourite tree. On her lap lay a book, and as Adeline pored over its contents a sudden shadow made her look up. She was startled to see Leo stood looking at her and blushed slightly, feeling the unnatural beating of her heart.

“Sorry to disturb you. Do you have a minute?” He asked softly, his eyes looked down at her and Adeline had to mentally shake herself and concentrate on his words as he spoke.

“Not at all, you didn’t disturb me, please sit.” She replied hoping her voice did not shake. He shook his head, and responded,

“No thank you, I actually wanted to show you something. Would you mind coming with me?” Leo watched as Adeline closed her book and offered her his hand to help her get up. Leo held on to her for longer than necessary and Adeline felt the blush deepening. Hoping to use the heat as an excuse she fanned herself gently as they walked together, remarking about the unusual heat.

“I don’t think we’ll have many more glorious days like this left.” She quipped, hoping to get a response out of her silent companion. She was not disappointed.

“I think this heat will last till next week.” He remarked. They reverted back to silence again as they walked, heavy but not uncomfortable.

As they turned a corner Adeline stopped. They were stood before the greenhouse and all at once Adeline felt discomfort rush into every inch of her. Leo had walked ahead before realising his partner was not next to him. Turning around he saw her standing almost 5 feet away from him. He walked back to her, realising her reasons. Coming to a stop a feet in front of her he extended one arm out to Adeline.

“I won’t throw you out again.” He promised her, “Do you trust me?”

Adeline looked at the hand in front before moving to his face. It remained passive but there seemed to be softness to it today. Without thinking she put out her hand and let his large, long fingers enclose over her petite ones. Gently he coaxed her forward and they entered the greenhouse, letting the lush greenery cool down the unbearable heat. Swiftly he glided into the other room with Adeline in tow before he let her go. Adeline watched as Leo picked up a small pair of scissors before turning to the potted plant on the table in the centre.

“Do you remember this plant?” He asked, not looking at her as he approached the blossoming flora. Adeline thought for a moment before recognition washed over her. This was the very same plant she had seen that day.

“Isn’t this the floribunda rose?” She asked, watching him. Leo stood by the pot softly caressing the dark petals. The buds had grown but only one had bloomed. The heaviness of the colour was both entrancing and frightening in its dark allure, as much as the man who stood before her both entranced and frightened her. She watched his hands as he kept on caressing the petals and she wondered what it would be like to feel his hand her cheek, glide down her body and she looked down suddenly feeling shy and overwhelmed. She heard the faint snapping of the stem and looked up to see Leo hold out the rose to her.

Adeline cautiously stepped forward and took the proffered rose, fingers brushing slightly during the exchange. Electricity coursed through her and she saw Leo falter too. The sound of her heart was like drums beating in her ears and Adeline stepped back, sure he could hear it too.

“Adeline...” Leo whispered her name. She stood still as he walked slowly to her, cupping her face gently in his hands, and lowered his head to gently press a kiss to her lips. Adeline in her breath as his lips pressed to hers. They were soft and full. His kiss was tender, gentle and Adeline felt herself press into it more. Leo was the first to pull away from the kiss. His dark eyes bore into her own, almost like he was reading her, trying to figure something out. Adeline stepped closer within the confines of his arms and without hesitation he dipped his head again to kiss her, long hard and passionate. Manoeuvring her to the countertop and holding her close he kissed her hard as she replied in kind. One hand travelled to the small of her back as the other gently cupped her neck drawing her even closer to him, feeling her erratic heartbeat mirror his own. They kissed on neither wanting to break it. It felt like hours but was in fact no more than a minute or two later that they broke the kiss and simultaneously embraced each other. He let his head rest on her shoulder as she put her head to his chest, listening to his heartbeat. They stayed that way in silence, till it was broken by the distant sound of her name being called out.

Reluctantly Leo let her go as Adeline whispered to his ear, “I have to go.” Straightening her clothes and neatening her hair she held the rose close to her as she walked out.

 

 

The encounter with Leo had shaken Adeline more than she was willing to admit. It was a struggle at times to rouse herself from thought of him and his kisses, her lips still tingling from it. Now as she sat around the table with the others she meticulously avoided his gaze, not wanting the burning of her cheeks to give away her feelings.

The evening was intolerably humid and quiet, almost too quiet. Adeline’s skin felt clammy as she sat by her open window. Ceci had retreated to her own quarters with a headache and had left Adeline to her own devices and an open seat at her side, which was quickly taken by Ken, much to Leo’s chagrin.

“So it looks like you’ll have to entertain yourself for a few months.” He announced as he sat next to her. Adeline quirked her head to one side looking mystified and Ken snickered.

“I’m not a mind reader Ken, kindly clarify that remark.” Adeline muttered.

“I’m going away for a few months. Business” He added on at her expression, “I’m going to BTOB’s territory to negotiate a business deal, and that’s all I’m telling you.”

Adeline nodded at his final words, it was better to be in the dark. Sometimes Adeline forgot that she was living amongst young men who lived such a grand lifestyle from business which were not the least bit legal but very profitable. Adeline had stumbled across some of their lucrative business ventures such as the industry with many ‘elite hotels’ catering to men from the highest social classes and escorts, the black market with many stolen artefacts like paintings and jewels with highest quality diamonds. There was no end to the list of businesses they had but for once Adeline turned a blind eye to it all.

“How long will you be gone for?” Adeline would miss his contagiously cheerful presence.

“Roughly two months. Maybe longer if they delay the conclusion.”

Adeline felt slightly deflated. What would she do without her cheerful friend?

“Well, I’ll certainly miss your presence. When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow”

 

 

The next morning dawned gloomy and more humid than ever. In the distance thunder growled, waiting to swoop on its victims and unleash the storm. Adeline stood by the doors waving goodbye to Ken as he got into the chauffer driven automobile. The little car zoomed away in a cloud of dust and slowly the crowd dispersed, each to their own places. Adeline caught Hongbin as he trudged away. She had noticed that he had seemed preoccupied with something throughout breakfast and she had caught him looking at the empty place for Ceci, more than once.

“Hongbin, is everything alright?” She asked, concerned for her friend’s well being.

Hongbin sighed, a sound which seemed to come from the very depths of his soul before he looked up and Adeline could see the worry etched onto every line and angle of his face.

“Is it Ceci or Hyuk?”

“Not Hyuk, he’s fine.” Hongbin mumbled, “Its Ceci.” Hongbin pinched the bridge of his nose, the stress on his shoulders weighing him down.

“What’s happened to her?” Asked Adeline, truly alarmed now, “Is she sick?”

“She has migraines.” He replied, “She’s had them since she was a child but it seems like she’s been taking these spells more often. She’s such a delicate little thing.” His voice was tender, trembling with love for the small woman, his small woman.

“Poor thing” Murmured Adeline, “Is she allowed visitors?”

“At this stage any small sound or movement is excruciatingly painful. She’s resting now and I’ve asked one of the kitchen help to get some herbs. Maybe some crushed peppermint.” He informed her.

“If you need any help, call for me.” Hongbin thanked her before rushing away to Ceci’s side. Adeline watched him as he left, wondering when a man would rush to be by her side with the same love and urgency. She sighed, making her way to the library, she was alone for the day and the thunder overhead loomed ever closer, a storm was coming and she could not go outside. She hoped Ken would board the train before the deluge.

 

 

The day trickled into the late afternoon, the storm had come as promised, and the rain poured down in sheets, blurring the views outside and painting them into a sickly washed out grey. Adeline sat on the sofa, curled up under a soft blanket near the fire as she read. She was trying hard to ignore the flashes of lightning as it slashed across the sky in a jagged line. She was not aware of the door as it opened and closed and only looked up when, with a strange pang in her heart, she became aware of a very familiar, silent shadow.

“Hello”

Adeline nodded back. “Hello”

“May I read here with you?” He asked politely, casting his gaze down to avoid looking into her eyes. Adeline muttered in consent and Leo seemed to visibly relax a little. He made his way slowly to one of the large bookcases, climbing up the ladder easily before perching precariously on it to find a book to read. Adeline glanced up every now and again to see what he was doing and hurriedly cast her own gaze back to her book as Leo came down, a book in hand. He sat on the armchair, closest to the fire and the silence resumed once more as he opened the book.

“Are you sorry we kissed?” He asked suddenly after many minutes of quiet reading. Adeline looked up stunned at his question. He was looking directly at her now. Adeline chose her words carefully.

“I’m not sorry.” She said after a moment’s hesitation, “I was taken aback by it, it was so sudden.”

“Then why were you avoiding me?”

Adeline looked down at her lap, twisting the edge of the blanket as she thought hard. Minutes trickled by as she formed the words she wanted to say in her mind, get it just right. “I’m not used to being at such close proximity to you.” She replied, “Please don’t get me wrong I don’t mean anything rude by it. It’s just that you have always kept your distance and I got used to it. To have you suddenly kiss me was...” She let the words hang in the air.

“Startling?”

Adeline nodded slowly, “Yes, startling”

“I wondered,” He began slowly, “If you were avoiding me because of what I did that day.” He spoke softly, his voice no louder than the crackling fire but Adeline heard him clearly.

“I forgave you that very day. I’m not the type to hold grudges.”

Leo nodded and went back to his book.

“Why did you kiss me?” She asked suddenly. Adeline watched as the flush creeped high up his cheekbones. He closed the book and tapped nervously on the cover. Adeline waited patiently for his answer.

“At that moment,” He paused hesitating slightly, “At that moment I just wanted to kiss you. Hold you close” His cheeks reddened further and he bit his lips which Adeline suddenly found endearing.

“So it was a spur of the moment decision?”

A nod from Leo was all she got. Adeline remained silent for a moment before laughing out loud. Leo looked up perplexed at her reaction, he had been expecting anger. He watched her as she laughed merrily, her eyes twinkling in the firelight. The light from it cast a soft glow over her, and Leo’s breath hitched slightly, heart pounding. Adeline’s laugh slowly ebbed away but she smiled at him, frank and open friendliness.

“I would like to get to know you more, if that’s alright.” She asserted and now it was Leo’s turn to look stunned. She smirked at his reaction, “I want to be your friend. Can I?”

She waited with baited breath for his reply.

“Friend” He echoed, “I’d like that.” Adeline smiled relieved and delighted and Leo smiled back, shyly but without reserve.

When the silence came again it was with the comfortable knowledge of knowing they were friends. Both sat, reading together, relishing this new found friendship. As Leo read his book a small smile sat softly on the cupid’s bow of his lips.

A friend...

 

 

Everyone had noticed the quiet change in quiet Leo. He no longer remained in sullen silence at the table, instead choosing to speak up every now and then, throwing witty remarks at the younger men. N also noticed the way his attitude towards Adeline had changed. He had been more than a little surprised when they had sat next to each other at dinner. The three younger men’s jaws dropped in unison and N sat with eyebrows raised nearly to his hairline. Ceci watched the scene unfold, amused curiosity peeking through the smile on her face. She had a feeling these two would come around.

N kept his questions at bay till the girls had gone up, knowing very well that Ceci would tackle Adeline. He rounded on Leo who, to his surprise, wore an expectant expression, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. He certainly seemed to be in a good mood.

“Well, mind explaining what the devil’s going on?” He demanded impatiently.

Leo shrugged, “We decided to be friends.”

“Friends” Repeated Hongbin sceptically from his position.

“Leo is making friends,” Muttered Hyuk getting up, “I must have slipped into an alternate universe.” Ravi laughed out loud as Leo rolled his eyes.

“So you made friends with Adeline, well then what about me? You never call me your friend, why?” N whined sulking at Leo.

Leo sighed and the words ‘burdensome’ could be heard slipping from his lips. It was N’s turn to become slack jawed as the rest laughed around him. The camaraderie went into the night as they bantered good naturedly.

         

 Ceci, as expected, had marched straight into Adeline’s chamber bursting with curiosity. She peppered her prey with questions till Adeline felt like she was being held in front of a jury.

“Ceci, calm down, we just spoke to each other like normal people do all the time so please, no more questions.” She implored, “We’ve come to an understanding, that’s all it is.”

Ceci scoffed looking at Adeline, “Normal people may have friendly conversations but our Leo is not quite like the regular men.” She affirmed, “To be his friend is like being granted a very high honour. It’s not easy to gain is friendship, nor is it easy to have a full conversation with him.” Adeline laughed remembering her first encounter with the silent man. His vocabulary, to her at that time, had seemed almost nonexistent. His way of communicating had been through mainly glares and body language. Now it seemed as though he was finally coming out of his shell, his protection.

Ceci dropped the topic, not quite satisfied but certain she would find out later. It was now her turn to be question.

“Ceci, are you quite alright? How are you migraines?” Asked Adeline her attention now fully on her friend.

“They come and go but I am alright now.”

Adeline sighed in relief but something about the way Ceci avoided her gaze made her realise she was not telling the entire truth. Ceci seemed to be on edge suddenly, the same edginess she had witnessed in Hongbin that morning.

“You say you are fine but you are hiding something from me. I thought friends never kept secrets.” She accused. Ceci’s composure crumbled, fear flitting through her eyes as she wringed her hands on her lap.

“Have you gone and had a fight with Hongbin?” Adeline asked, “After he’s been so good in taking care of you.” Ceci shook her head.

“No it’s not that.” She replied. She mustered up her courage and looked straight into Adeline’s eyes.

“Last month I spent many nights with Hongbin.” She faltered unable to go on, a small sob caught in , “If Ravi finds out he’ll kill me.” She whispered trembling now.

“Ceci, what is it?”

“Adeline”

“Yes?”

“I think I may be pregnant.”