Chapter 11

Beast

Chapter 11

 

Adeline felt like she was floating on a soft cloud, the feeling so surreal she wondered if she was still dreaming. She could feel the softness around her, cocooned in comfort. She allowed her mind to sink back into the sweet surrender of sleep. She had won a game of chess against her brother last night. She smiled smugly at his defeat then immediately thought ‘I’ll let him win today.’ She stretched her arms over her head and immediately winced at the biting pain on her left arm. She opened her eyes, blinking the haziness back as she took in her surroundings. So that had been a dream, she realized sadly as she looked around. She grew confused at the lavish surroundings and the soft bed with the goose down pillow. Why was she in this room? Sensing movement at the far end she turned her gaze on the silent man, catching his eyes almost immediately as he gazed back at hers. Neither broke contact, and neither moved, a strange static feeling surging up their spine as their gazes remained locked on the other. It didn’t last long, only a minute or so, until the door opened and Hongbin walked in, breaking the spell and Adeline let out a breath she did not realise she had been holding.

“Well, it’s good to see you awake and non-blubbery.” He stated as he proceeded to examine her. Adeline tried to wriggle out but Hongbin held her firmly, “Stop squirming, would you!” She glared up at Hongbin and he glared back at her, but his eyes sparkled merrily as she resumed his work, first checking her pulse, then examining the wound.

“Why am I in this room?” Adeline asked looking at Hongbin, as he undid the bandages on her arm. Hongbin looked up at her, head tilted to one side as he clucked his tongue. He turned to the silent man still sat near the door.

“Care to help out?” He asked, the figure slowly stood up, his tall frame casting a long, dark shadow across the floor. He walked over to Hongbin, “Thank you for your consideration Leo.”

The man, Leo, took over Hongbin’s place, carefully peeling off the pad off her arm. His face remained stony as always, never giving anything out. Hongbin assessed the stitches carefully before looking pleased.

“There won’t be any infection, the cuts are shallow. But they will hurt, so be careful.” He instructed, passing a fresh pad to Leo who wordlessly took it and proceeded to wrap a fresh bandage around her arm. “It won’t even leave a scar.” He finished as Leo stepped away.

Adeline looked from one to the other as they moved about her. Hongbin took the old dressing as he left the room; Leo went over the little basin and proceeded to wash his hands. He seemed comfortable in the silence while she felt that the discomfort would eat her alive. “Excuse me could you please tell me why I am in this room?” She asked tentatively as he walked over to the door. He stopped his hand on the doorknob, ready to turn. He turned to face her.

“Would you rather be in the cell?” He remarked, his voice low, his face deadpan. “I shot a man in there.” Adeline shook her head, shivering at the last phrase. The room was, by far, the better choice. She watched him leave the room, closing the door behind him and sighed, leaning back on the pillow, only to sit up quickly, back ramrod straight. A woman had entered the room, waddling through the doorway before bowing slightly.

“‘ello miss, sorry to frigh’en you so. I bought a bite of some’ing to eat for you.” She was a well rounded, matronly figure donned in a grey skirt and white blouse, sleeves folded to elbows and all covered in a large, clean, white and be-frilled apron. Her reddish brown hair was in a bun, wispy curls falling out here and there giving her a particularly rakish look. Her face was not one you would call beautiful, but there was a frank and friendliness to it that made Adeline warm to her slightly. She was, however, still aware that she was on enemy territory and if she made one wrong move, Lord help her.

 “Who are you?” Asked Adeline watching the woman as she fussed over a small trolley arrayed with an astonishing assortment of food. The woman wheeled it over to a small table and began to unload the contents.

“The name’s Agnès, miss, Agnès Dufour.” She introduced herself cheerfully as worked away, “I’m the ‘ead cook ‘round ‘ere.” She beamed at Adeline, her eyes sparkling happily as she spoke. Adeline slowly got out of bed as Agnès stepped back. She watched the young girl as she made her way to the table and sat down, slow and careful. Agnès lifted up the lid covering the plate and Adeline’s eyes widened and she formed a silent ‘oh’ in amazement. The plate was filled with two giant steaming hot croissants; the next uncovering revealed a platter of soft, golden butter and another with a ruby red jam. There was also a platter with fruits, pomegranates, oranges, grapes and pears all neatly arranged. There was a pot of fresh coffee with a pitcher of cream and a bowl of sugar. ‘A feast for a king’ Thought Adeline as she felt her stomach growl in hunger and she dug in.

Agnès happily watched Adeline as she steadily made her way through the plates and platters of food and fruits. She tsked lowly knowing the girl probably hadn’t had much to eat in the past few days. “But my, you ‘ave an ‘ealthy appetite and it’s a right good thing to see.” She remarked pouring a cup of coffee Adeline. She smiled at the blush creeping over the girl’s cheeks. As Adeline finished off her meal there was a timid knock at the door.

“Well ‘urry up an’ come in Edith.”  Agnès called out.  The door opened and a small wispy figure of a girl came in and curtsied.

“Miss this is Edith, your maid, she’ll look after you.” The sonsy, cheerful woman introduced her as she beckoned the girl forward. Adeline let out a small, tentative smile. The girl was more nervous than her, it seemed. Edith kept her eyes down as she was instructed by Agnès to run a bath for the poor dear as she cleared up the breakfast items. Adeline politely declined, explaining that she was used to running her own bath at which the two women, young and old looked at her, askance.

“But Master N gave orders to look after you.” The old woman stated, recovering the power of speech. Adeline sighed and nodded to the girl who curtsied timidly and began the preparations. Left to the silence once more her mind began to wonder. What was N thinking? A few minutes later Edith walked back into the room and shyly announced that the bath was ready. Adeline undressed and made her way over. The bath was filled with water, steam wisping upwards and the scent of roses rose with it, wafting its way to Adeline’s senses. She lowered herself to the bath and let all thoughts of N and his gang go as the warmth of the water and the soothing scent of roses eased all worries away... for the time being.