Chapter 12

Beast

(The first few chapters were slow but now it will start moving faster. I will be going forward by weeks and months in the next few chapters.)

 

Chapter 12

The first few days of Adeline’s stay trickled slowly by, the people the place so different from what she had known. She had been pampered and petted as though she was their pet cat. Adeline had tried to avoid all the gang members, keeping herself cooped up in her room, not daring to venture forward. It was Ken, however, who had broken the proverbial ice. After her first week and a half of self inflicted solitary confinement Ken had walked into her room suddenly one evening. His tall, lean frame had thrown a shadow over her position on the chair by the window, startling Adeline out of her morose thoughts. She had eyed him icily at his friendly introduction and resumed her gloomy pastime of worrying. Not one bit affected by her coldness, Ken had dragged another chair to the window and sat next to her, peering out into the darkness outside, he narrowed his eyes.

“What’s so fascinating outside that you can’t look away?” He asked. Adeline sat quietly, not bothering to answer him. Ken glanced at her as he she sat stubbornly quiet. “You know the garden is actually much better when you see it up close.” He carried on speaking regardless of the silence, “We have over half an acre of land for our private garden and we had it all re designed. That fountain was custom made; N and I went around most of Europe trying to find inspiration.”

“Do you know about the Latona Fountain in the Château de Versailles? We were inspired by that so much that we had a miniature version designed for ourselves. But I hated the legend of Apollo’s mother and Diana. Turning the peasants into frogs, so we decided to change it the mother and child represent the poor and the frogs represent all the rich folks too greedy to help those in need.” He could see Adeline looking slightly curious and it spurred him on, “If you like, tomorrow I can take you around the gardens and show you all the little treasures we have. There’s the fountain, the lake and bridge, the gazebo, the orchard, the rose garden, all of it.” Adeline’s interest peaked with every word and at the mention of roses she had turned to him, iciness forgotten in the eager curiosity.

Ken smiled companionably as she looked at him, her attention solely on him now. “I want to see the garden tomorrow.” She said, her voice slightly croaked at the lack of use. Ken smiled and promised to show her around tomorrow after breakfast.

 

Ken had kept his promise and the next day, after breakfast he had proceeded to show her around the house as well as the garden. They walked past numerous rooms and suites, went up and down flights of stairs, he showed her the library and she was immediately awed by the grandeur of the room. The walls were lined with shelves holding thousands of books. There were many sofas and armchairs scattered around and a fireplace so big, they could have roasted an ox in it comfortably. The grandeur of the house and it’s labyrinth of corridors and rooms made her dizzy.

Next he showed her the tower, up spiralling staircases with many levels till they reached the top. A telescope was perched on a small platform nearest the window and there was a small desk on one side and a small violin on the other. A small vase holding deep, red roses was the only decoration in the space. Adeline touched the petals tentatively, feeling the soft velvetiness as she surveyed the room. She went towards the telescope. “Is this your room?” She asked turning towards Ken. He shook his head.

“No, Leo’s. This is his... sanctuary.” Ken went forward, “He likes his privacy... and not talking.” He tacked on that last bit as an afterthought.

Adeline snorted slightly, not caring how unladylike it was. “He must keep silence for fear of spouting nonsense.” She remarked and Ken smiled. His features, handsomely carved with big eyes, a proud nose and full lips, changed with his easy crooked smile. He moved the strands of ash blond hair that fell over his eyes.

They heard footsteps walking up the stairs and within a few moments the topic of conversation came into the room. He stopped at the doorway, looking from Ken to Adeline. His gaze lingered on her for longer than necessary and Adeline looked away, feeling slightly flushed.

“Hello brother.” Ken spoke up, “I was just showing Miss Adeline around, giving her the grand tour. Would you like to join us?” Leo shook his head, stepping in and walked over to the table. He held a book in his hand, his grip tightening at the unwanted intrusion.

“I’m busy.” He stated. Ken nodded and beckoned Adeline forward. As she walked out she could feel his gaze follow her and her spine tingled, whether with nerves or fear she did not know. She made her way to the stairs and waited for Ken to join her. As he walked towards the door Leo spoke up again, “Ken, a word with you please.” Ken motioned for Adeline to carry on and turned back towards Leo. Adeline watched the door close, muffling the low voices. Sighing she began her descent.

Ken caught up with her halfway and smiled reassuringly when she voiced her concerns. “Don’t worry he wasn’t angry about us going into his space. He just wanted a word with me.” He gently led her to a door at the bottom of the stairs and opened it. Sunlight gushed in making Adeline blink trying to adjust. She could see a few dust particles floating around. She stepped forward, letting the sunlight warm her face, her arms and she closed her eyes again, savouring the feeling. Who knew when she would get to feel its warmth again? 

“Hey, you’re not our prisoner, you know.” Ken chimed in. She looked at him, looking properly abashed. Ken laughed out at her face. It rang through the air and echoed off the walls.

“Oh no, did I really say that out loud?” Adeline flushed further. Ken stood before her gasping huge gasps of air, composing himself before he could speak again.

“Adeline what N said about you being our guest is just that. You ARE our guest, and we are not in the habit of locking guests up. Frankly I’m a bit offended that you thought that.” He kept his face and voice serious which was marred by the mischievous glint in his eyes. Adeline huffed slightly, knowing that Ken was teasing. She looked away as he winked.

 

“Do you also wink at your guests or is this reserved for special guests.” She sassed, trying to regain her composure. Ken’s answer was simply to slightly nudge her forward. Adeline rolled her eyes at him and walked on. Ken walked beside her in silence, not of the uncomfortable style. Adeline had to admit that she was beginning to feel at ease with this strange man.

 

They walked through the gardens, taking the pathways leading out in different directions as Ken talked her through everything. He showed her to the gazebo and watched her as she gazed, enraptured, at the scene before her. Beyond lay, what could only be described as, a vast labyrinth. It seemed to beckon her forward.

 

“This labyrinth was made on Leo’s orders. Strangely enough I’ve never been more than halfway through it.” He said musingly. Adeline wrenched herself away.

 

“Why?” She asked. Ken shrugged and sat on the bench, stretching his legs out and leaning back, arms linked behind his neck. He kept his eyes on her as he spoke again.

 

“I guess I just never bothered to.” He surmised, “Besides the centre of the maze is so beautifully designed I could never tear myself away from it to go further. Why bother when all that beauty lies in front only halfway. I think, apart from Leo, only Hyuk has dared to go to the other side.” He glanced back at the maze, “Leo’s a bit.... territorial. He doesn’t like people going into his private spaces. We all have a plot of land each, and we can do whatever we like with it.” Adeline was looking at him now, her brows raised, “I have a small horse ranch on my plot, and a place where I can paint freely.” Adeline leaned forward, “Oh, nothing great, just little things.” He added at her expression.

“Can I see them? Your paintings I mean.” She asked. It was Ken’s turn to look embarrassed and he sat up, his hands on his knees.

“Maybe, if I manage to paint something worth seeing.” He replied, smirking at her. He looked at his watch and rose up in disdain, “I should have asked for a basket of food for lunch so we could have eaten her. It’s almost one o’clock.” He looked back at her sheepishly, “Come on, let’s go in and see if we can’t get something to eat.”

Adeline, now acutely aware of her grumbling stomach, nodded eagerly and made her way back to the house. Ken walked quickly and Adeline had to jog to keep up with his long strides, she huffed and puffed along till they reached her bedroom door. “Why don’t you go in? I’ll have a word with Cook to see if she can round up something for us.” 

Adeline smiled and walked into her room, settling on the chair, now near the table, someone had come in during her absence and tidied the room. There was a vase of fresh flowers and leaning against the vase was a small envelope. Adeline picked it up slowly. It was titled to her. She opened it and pulled out the small note.

‘Miss Adeline,’ It began, ‘I’m sorry I have not come to introduce myself to you. My name is Cecile. I live here with my brother. I am away but I am very much looking forward to meeting you. It would be lovely to have a girl my own age to speak with and I hope we can be friends.

I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Ceci”   

  Adeline smiled as she read it. Hopefully she would be able to have another girl to speak to and perhaps, like Ceci hoped, they could be friends.