Chapter 1

Beast

Chapter 1

 

It was in the month of January, when heavy rains caused severe flooding in a small town. Many lost their lives and livelihood. Some were lucky enough to escape the harsher consequences, rebuilding their lives back comfortably, and money being no objection; they went on with their lives as if the flood had never happened. Some carried with them the knowledge that their beloved ones had been taken from them cruelly. And in this town everyone mourned together for the lives that had been lost, especially for the lovely well off couple who had lived in a lovely little house, slightly smaller than their still rich neighbours. They mourned their death, but more importantly they mourned for the pain their children felt, for they had left behind a son and a daughter.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Must you go Dominique?”

 

Dominique turned to the voice coming from his doorway. There stood his little sister with a decidedly disgruntled expression on her soft, feminine features. He stopped sorting his papers out as she walked in and sat on the chaise lounge near the window, allowing the sunlight to hit the dark, glossy brown curls that framed her face. Dominique felt pride swell in his chest. His little sister, who was once a small bouncing little cherub, was now maturing into a beautiful young Madonna.    

“Adeline you know I have to.” He said, bending down so he could look at her, “I need to lead this operation because I’ve been in this since day one.”

Adeline looked anxiously up at her brother. He would be going away from her for God knows how long. He had been like this since she was 12 years old and he, 18, going away on operations with his team of secret police. He had been with the secret police since he was 17 years old and had moved up in the ranks, not because of his connections, for his father had been in the secret police, but because of his skills. And now he had his own team that he managed. Their parents had been very proud of him, of both of them. Then they were gone and Adeline only had her brother. He was her only family left. And she prayed everyday for his safety. Being in this career was dangerous.

Dominique was worried. He always was whenever he had these ops to lead. It took him away from house and home for weeks on end, sometimes months. He worried for his little sister, worried that she might fall ill, or meet the same fate as their parents. Sometimes that thought would make him question whether this was worth it. It would snatch him up from his sleep, images of the harrowing scene swimming before his eyes, reducing him to tears. Those same tears reflected in Adeline’s eyes. She had grown up too quickly after that night. And he knew that the nightmares still plagued her. He knew it whenever he would sit across from her at breakfast, the dark shadows under her eyes mirroring his own.

Those same shadows were under her eyes at this moment, and he knew his going was triggering her nightmares. His heart ached at the knowledge.

“Adeline, look at me.” He coaxed gently, his fingers under her chin to raise her face, her eyes sparkling with unshed tears, “I promise I will be back soon.” He began, “I will be back so soon you won’t even miss me.” He tried to make light of the situation.

Adeline nodded, not wanting to make it harder for her brother. No doubt it was as hard for him as it was for her. She smiled at him, willing the anxiety away.

Her next retort had them both laughing. “It’s not you I’ll miss, dearest brother, it’s that awkward expression in the morning when you can’t decide whether it IS day or if the sun’s playing a rather bad joke on you.” Dominique scrunched up his face, pretending to look confused and blinked owlishly at the sun. The peals of laughter echoed around the house.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“What would you like me to bring on my way back?” Dominique was stood at the front door, His blazer draped over one arm clutching his hat, his small luggage on the floor, “New hat, new shawl, new gloves, a parasol, lace, how about a new outfit?” He asked mentally hoping she did not ask for something he had never heard of.

Adeline raised her hands up in exasperation as he spoke. “Brother, I do not care about any of those things.” She replied, “Just make sure you are back with all organs intact, all limbs attached and in working order and your head upon your shoulders and I’ll be just fine without any of those gadgets.”

Dominique chuckled as he patted her hair and opened the door, lifting the bag from the floor on the way and walked out. “Alright, alright I give up.” He made his way down the small lane and to the gate, Adeline following him close behind, “Now I don’t want you overworking, okay, stick to your studies and don’t worry about the house, Jacqueline and Marie will look after it and your meals and I’ve asked monsieur Beaufort and his wife to look in on you from time to time.” Adeline nodded to everything he said and assured him that she would be fine in his absence.

 

Adeline stood at the gate, watching her brother take the taxi. She waved as he left, swallowed by the early morning bustle of people and carriages.

“Be safe, dear brother.” She whispered...