Till Death Do Us Apart

[DISCONTINUE] Tales of Fire and Ice

WARNING: Some swearing words ahead. Please, proceed cautiously.

The hall was soon gone into quiet and intense atmosphere for the teenagers, as they wait nervously on who will they be matched with.

It’s different though for all the journalist and news anchor who busy went through one seating section to another to interview all the people one by one.

This ceremony was, of course, live recorded so the parents at home could watch as their children getting matched. So, cameramen could also be seen wandering around the hall.

As soon as the mayors of two sides walked off from the stage, the screen in the middle of the hall started talking in a static voice.

“Welcome, to all person who reached nineteen years old this year. We wish you all prosper and good luck,”

Clapping voices started echoing through the hall. Along with whistles here and there and some shouting.

“In a while, I’ll be calling names first, followed by your side. The person that I called should bring their Wedding Package you got earlier in the front desk. Both of you then should put rings on each ring finger, then read the Wedding Vow. If you were to be chosen as seeder or keeper, please put the Wedding Package on the table at the middle of the stage, before you read the Seeder or Keeper Vow,”

The static voice continue with telling the usual rule it has always told ever year before.

The teenagers on the hall started becoming impatient, while their eyes were shining nervously.

Changmin could only sit in silence as the people around him were chatting about their current feelings.

He couldn’t think of anything. Not that time. He just wished that this ceremony will finish faster, no matter what the result will be.

So, Changmin wouldn’t have to stare at the bunches of Blue in front of him, ever, again.

“Additional rule for this year ceremony,”

The hall suddenly went silent.

They are all knew what “additional rule” means and knew why it was necessary this year.

“If one of you were to be matched to an opposite side, please put your own ring to yourself. This is to avoid any unnecessary incident that will happen if you touch each other,”

The entire hall soon went intense.

Having a Blue and a Red in one room itself, already sounds like a war declaration.

Especially that no side were injected already. An injection to neutralize their Red or Blue power.

If they touch, just slightly...

It means end to both person who touched.

Changmin could feel his body tighten. Changmin swore he could also see the soldiers who stood around the hall, also did so.

Everybody suddenly aware that this hall, was actually on its most dangerous state.

“With that rules, now, we can finally, begin the Wed Ceremony,”

At first, Changmin wasn’t sure on what order were they called.

After four couples or so, someone near Changmin whispered loud enough, said that it must be in birthdate order.

Changmin gulped at that.

His birthday is on early February.

It means that, if his match wasn’t born on January, he will be called soon.

Changmin clenched his fist tighter. He could feel his palm become wet.

Why was it? Changmin’s palm had never been this wet before.

“Lee Sungmin, from Blue,” the left side of the screen showed a picture of rather cute looking guy, that it’s hard to believe he is a blue.

“Cho Kyuhyun, from Blue, congratulation,” the screen showed another guy picture, and soon followed by vigorous roaring from the Blue side. Whereas, the Red could only clapped awkwardly.

A round of applause was still thundering by the Blue people, when both couple finished the wedding vow, and getting off from the stage with wide smile.

“Choi Siwon, from Red,”

Most of people from the Red side gasped as they hear the name. The “most talked” person of this year, was going to be matched.

“Go Ara, from Red, congratulation,”

A very elegant women was soon walking to the stage.

It was finally the Red chance to celebrate in uproar.

Choi Siwon, also look rather elegant and handsome, greeted the hand of the very graceful Go Ara.

Even visually, both looked like a match made in heaven.

Choi Siwon seems to couldn’t hide his happiness being matched to a very pretty Go Ara.

“Han Gain, from Blue,”

“Jo Kwon, from Blue, congratulation”

The screen called more name, but Changmin has entirely lost his focus.

The more the screen called name and sides, the closer it gets to Changmin’s birthdate.

Changmin’s name haven’t been called, yet. It seems that his match wouldn’t be someone whose birthdate is earlier than him.

However, it did getting closer to his birthdate.

“Choi Seunghyun, Red, you’ll be assigned as a seeder, congratulation,”

The Red side went on uproar again, however, it was more of a complaint.

It was very noisy, that Changmin curiosity got him back to focus on the ceremony.

Seunghyun is the most handsome man of Changmin’s school.

He is the most wanted person that Changmin’s school mate wanted to be matched with.

However, Seunghyun’s fate say something else as he was assigned as seeder instead.

Changmin heads dropped low.

That, could only say as much as how all the teenagers’ fate that day, wasn’t their to choose.

No matter how much you wanted to be matched to someone, it wouldn’t happen if you are matched to someone else.

No matter how low it is being a seeder, you aren’t the one to decide your fate that day.

No matter how much you wished your nightmare won’t be happening...

Changmin, suddenly feel that his head went light.

Changmin immediately grabbed his head.

He was thinking too much, he was too pessimist that day.

His stomach felt like vomited over his anxiety. His heart would just burst right there.

Changmin squeezed his eyes.

Changmin... you are strong... come on... you can handle this... you will like your couple once you are matched

Changmin repeated those words, over and over. Wishing hard that it will finally convinced his troubled heart.

A person sitting next to Changmin, silently stare worriedly over Changmin.

“Dude? Are you okay?” he asked.

Changmin couldn’t answer.

The person patted Changmin’s shoulder lightly.

“Chin up, dude. I know you can...” cheered that person.

Changmin slightly nodded.

Take a deep breath, Changmin. Chin up. Look up. You’ll get through this...

Changmin slowly follow his own unconscious direction.

He took a deep breath, look up, and slowly open his eyes.

Changmin silently thanking that his vision was clear and not blurry, unlike what usually happened if he was too nervous.

Changmin didn’t really notice, but the screen had showed up another male picture.

“Jung Yunho, from Blue,”

Another “scary” uproar could be heard across.

The Red flinched a bit, terrified and still not accustomed by the “wild” habits of Blue.

The screen showed up another male picture next to Jung Yunho, like usual.

Before it called a name, like before.

The screen was speaking normally, with its static voice, like before too.

But, a long female scream was howling and echoing through the hall just before the screen said anything and only showed picture.

People were gasping. Some other more having their hands closed their mouth.

The cameramen was a bit shocked, but they hurriedly turned their camera to the screen. Most of them.

It must be, something that was very terrible.

Because, even both mayors from both sides, stood up in awe.

The screen finally started speaking again.

“Shim Changmin,”

“from Red, congratulation,”

Silence.

.

.

.

Neither both Red or Blue side were again, celebrating that moment.

The cameramen had finally moved on from their shock, now trying to find both person mentioned by the screen.

For a very long minute, there was no one on the stage, yet.

“I repeat,” the static screen started speaking again as no one presence, yet, on the stage.

“Jung Yunho, from Blue,”

“Shim Changmin, from Red, congratulation,”

Mayor Heeyeol from Red could be seen cupping his mouth with his hand, falling into deep thought.

No one yet presence on the stage.

“I repeat,”

“Jung Yunho, from Blue,”

“Shim Changmin, from Red, congratulation,”

A male from Blue side, finally stood up, and walked down to the stage.

When someone else from the Blue side, also stood up in protest,

“NO ING WAY! HE IS MY BOYFRIEND! HE WON’T BE MARRIED TO A STUPID RED! STOP THIS BULL”

The other male who stood earlier, could only turned around hopelessly.

“YUNHO IS NO WAY GETTING MATCHED TO A WEAKLING RED! THIS IS A BULL! A BULL CEREMONY! GET BACK HERE, YUNHO! GET HIM BACK!”

A sudden racket happened on the hall.

Plenty of soldiers started gathering up around the Blue, even more around the Red.

Some soldiers get into the protesting man, holding him from causing a harm.

While at that, that man’s body started to light up in freezing Blue.

“THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! THIS IS BULL! STOP THIS CEREMONY! BULL CEREMONY!” that man continue to shouted in anger.

All the Red who seated near the Blue, started sobs in fear, as more soldiers coming and evacuate them to other seat.

Mayor Miran from Blue stood still in silence. Her face show no emotion, but her sharp eyes stared toward the teenager who caused ruckus. It almost seems as if, she has some punishment ready for anyone who rebelled on that ceremony.

Jung Yunho, however, had finally get on the stage.

He seemed a bit shaken, however, his hands were all ready with the ring box and marriage vow text card.

And Changmin...

Changmin was still stuck on his seat.

The screen started speaking again,

“Shim Changmin, from Red, congratulation. Please, get on the stage,”

Changmin was completely frozen.

His heartbeat stopped.

His eyes and mouth wide open.

His hands were cold, from too much clenching.

He has died... or at least, that’s how Changmin felt.

Both Red and some Blue started whispering.

“Changmin...” the person next to Changmin, realizing that the so called person was next to him, tapped his shoulder.

“Changmin... you should get on the stage...” he whispered softly.

There was no reaction from the dead Changmin.

“Changmin... you should...”

Before that person finished his words, an officer appeared next to Changmin.

“Shim Changmin, you have to get on the stage, now,” she ordered.

It was either because the officer’s order, or because the person next to Changmin who keep pushing him, Changmin finally found himself stood up from his seat.

The officer immediately scouted Changmin to the stage. The soldiers around give way for Changmin to pass.

Changmin held his Wedding Package tightly.

He finally reached the stage, hands were quivering as he took the ring box from inside.

He stared at the shining gold ring for a while.

Changmin suddenly remembered his parents.

They must have also undergone this ceremony too.

Changmin remembered their parents story on how happy they were when they are matched to each other.

Changmin imagined how happy it must be, looking at the ring, knowing that the ring will be placed on a person’s finger that they loved very much.

Changmin’s eyes started pooling in tears.

“Please put the rings on each other finger,”

Before, the hall would be filled with applause when this happened.

However, when Changmin and Yunho put their own rings on their own finger, the hall was completely silent.

“Now, Jung Yunho, please read the wedding vow,”

Changmin didn’t even bother seeing when his own husband – Changmin, shivered hard at that thought – read his vow that supposed to be directed toward Changmin.

“I, Jung Yunho, take you, Shim Changmin, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. To fulfill our society expectation toward me and you. Hopefully, will also be able to repay to the society, for having both of us matched at today Wedding Ceremony,”

Yunho, surprisingly, was very firm and calm. His deep voice made no mistake when saying the wedding vow.

“Next, Shim Changmin, please read the wedding vow,”

Changmin, silently wish that the officer who pushed him earlier, was still next to him to push him do stuff.

Changmin throat felt very dry. There was no voice that could be getting out from his mouth.

He was stuck. He was just stuck there, mind still couldnt processing that his fate was finally decided.

Decided by an unknown power outside of Changmin’s capability.

Changmin shut his eyes.

“I, Shim Changmin, take you...”

The sobbing voice from the Red side was suddenly getting louder.

Changmin didn’t know where it was coming from. Or who was it.

His heart could only eased a bit, knowing that someone might actually being sympathetic toward him.

Though, it wasn’t enough.

“Jung Yunho, to be my husband,”

Changmin gulped.

His heart shouted desperately.

He couldn’t get himself to continue reading the vow.

He couldn’t!

“I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. To fulfill our society expectation toward me and you. Hopefully, will also be able to repay to the society, for having both of us matched at today Wedding Ceremony,”

Changmin however, finished his vow reading.

The static voice started speaking again, “Congratulation, Jung Yunho and Shim Changmin,”

“May the grace of this wedding be upon you and may you both be together always”

“Till death do us apart” Yunho copied when the static voice said that.

“Till death do us apart” Changmin also did so, in more whispering voice.

Changmin took the flower bouquet from the Wedding Package, then awkwardly turned around the Red seat.

Just like other couple before, Changmin – still trembling hard – took a deep bow toward the Red. Supposed to be a thankful and respect sign for the “society” to have him “matched” that day. Tears was flowing from his eyes.

Yunho seemed to be also doing that, but toward the Blue.

A cheering claps could slowly be heard from the Red.

The silent cheers soon turned into thunderous applause, as the Red teenager’s eyes showing sincere support to Changmin.

Changmin’s eyes, however, covered in tears, so he could only heard as his “friends” supported him with applause.

Finally, two fully suited soldiers walked to the stage.

Both soldier will fully guide Changmin and Yunho to the neutral room, where Changmin and Yunho can be together without being afraid that their power will kill each other. As the neutral room has the ability to turn off both Blue and Red power.

Changmin didn’t realize it before, but when he get off from the stage and glimpsed a bit, the Blue were actually, saluting toward Yunho.

Changmin quickly left the main hall and into the hallway.

He walked fast, leaving behind his “husband” who followed shortly, also still stuck in shock of being matched to the opposition side.

 Changmin didn’t know how far has he walked, and he didn’t care of the confused soldier who guarding him, when Changmin finally broke down and fell in middle of the hallway.

Changmin feel crushed... completely crushed...

His nightmare came true... his nightmare was right...

Changmin sobbed, harder and harder. His arms tightly hugged the flower bouquet that he brought.

People said that dreams will come true.

They forgot to consider, that nightmare is also a dream.