We Were the World

[DISCONTINUE] Tales of Fire and Ice

It’s a sunny evening. The sky was perfect blue, decorated with fair clouds, at just enough spaces for eyes to enjoy.

Though the sun was leaning toward the edge of the western sky, it hasn’t showing it’s orange-ish, yet.

From inside the houses, you could hear bits of conversations floating toward the road outside. Whether it come from actual living persons inside or from TV, the evening was actually lively.

Not to mention the cheerful children, running around the street, trying to fly out a kite only to meet failure because it wasn’t windy. If you see it like this, it seems that another perfect day was going on.

Changmin almost got hit by a kite as he reached his house. He could hear the kids gasped in suspense as the kite passed upon Changmin’s head, luckily they able to pull it on time.

Changmin turned around, only to see what was actually happened. The kids, however, ran away as soon as they saw Changmin reacted. Leaving Changmin stared confusedly toward random people who were strolling peacefully, enjoying the evening weather like nothing happened.

Sounds of conversation could be heard from inside Changmin’s house.

It didn’t sounds like his mom Taeyeon’s voice, though. His mom wouldn’t be this talkative nowaday, the only person she will talked to was only Mr. Jungsoo, if not her son Changmin.

It sounded like a digitalized voice, a voice come from a TV. Probably mom Taeyeon was watching TV?

Changmin entered the house. A simple house that he was living in.

Once you entered the house, you got into the living room as well as the dining room. Across the dining table is the kitchen’s counter, along with the kitchen.  A stairs for the second story is just next to the front door, on it’s right. The bathroom is just across the living room. All bedrooms are at the second floor.

The house is small, but it was more than enough to fill in three people of the family. Even more that it’s now just consisted of two.

Changmin gulped at that thought. No, I can’t have this stupid thought anymore. Not that the Wed Ceremony is tomorrow.

The TV was indeed, . However, mom Taeyeon couldn’t be seen around.

Changmin put his bag on the sofa, noticing that the TV was currently showing news. He walked toward the kitchen as he listening to what the news was saying,

“And now move onto the next topic. In celebration of the upcoming 250 years mark of the Peace Treaty between Red and Blue, we have our guest in this studio already. He was one of the co-founder of the infamous BRIM. An abbreviation of Blue and Red Independence Movement. Please welcome, Kim Jongwoon, what is your thought of the upcoming Wed Ceremony?

Changmin was completely stunned. He was just taking a cup of glass, caused him to tightened his grip on it.

Changmin, of course, know Kim Jongwoon.

He also, is the friend of his two moms, Taeyeon and Tiffany, and also Mr. Jungsoo.

“Of course, Mrs. Misun. The upcoming Wed Ceremony is the fifth time that we will, finally, have another couple coming from both side of Red and Blue. It’s another joy for us to celebrate, that we finally have a long running peace between both sides,” Jongwoon answered comfortably. His eyes were serious, though dark circles could be seen under it.

Mr. Jongwoon was still looking like as much as Changmin could remember him. Sleek looking. Slender, and even slimmer this year, actually. His small eyes still giving his “dead” looks. Stared into nothingness.

Mr. Jongwoon was all the same as Changmin could remember.

Minus the smile... and his mischievous grandpas jokes that he used to throw.

Changmin quickly looked around the room. Checking if his mom was actually around, but he just couldn’t see her.

After Changmin’s family tragic accident, it’s been an annual things for the TV news. On every upcoming Wed Ceremony, even more as the fifty years mark is coming, they will be talking about that dark past of the famous incident. Trying to debate if it’s still necessary for them to keep the Peace Treaty. And still having a couple came from both side of Red and Blue, on the upcoming fifty years mark.

Changmin had successfully keep mom Taeyeon away from any news like this. That luck still needed to be happen, now.

“Alright, Mr. Jongwoon. Now let us reminisce of what actually happened nine years ago...the newscaster then turned toward the paper she was holding.

Jongwoon’s figure could be seen tensed, as he seems to know what is coming. So did Changmin’s, actually.

Oh, seriously! You just have to do it, today? Changmin screamed on his head.

“Nine years ago, Mr. Jongwoon, you and your friends – best friends – were holding an annual conference between the Red and Blue side. Along with you were the other co-founders of BRIM. Park Jungsoo, whose parents was the fourth couple to be matched, coming from both side Red and Blue. The founder of BRIM, Mr. Song Ilkook of Red and Mrs. Jung Seungyeon of Blue,”

“Kim Taeyeon, the daughter of  Mr. Lee Hwijae, headmaster of the school that Park Jungsoo is currently teaching at. Hwang Miyoung, Park Jungsoo’s past girlfriend and was Kim Taeyeon’s wife. A genius diplomat. Sharp talker. Not to mention, our nation pride, the awardee of countless scholar, and was another factor that our relationship with Blue was going very strong and smooth,”

Changmin hold his breath. He dropped his body toward the sofa in front of the TV, nervously. His body was shaking, in some kind of horrified feelings.

No... not today... not now...

The sudden mention of his other mom, Hwang Miyoung, has caused Changmin to suddenly feel afraid again.

Changmin was trying not to think about the upcoming Wed Ceremony, just the day before it.

He truly didn’t want to be haunted by his nightmares... by his family past incident... by his beloved mother, mom Miyoung.

And, they just had to suddenly talked about it. Just as Changmin reached his home. Just as Changmin accidentally watched the TV.

Just as Changmin was about to be matched, tomorrow.

Jongwoon, on the TV, could also be seen as nervous.

His eyes were no longer fixed toward the newscaster, it is now seems to be wandering off somewhere else.

“And you, Mr. Jongwoon. The son of the most honored mayor, Mrs. Shin Bongsun,

The newscaster cleared a bit, before continuing, “At that conference, nine years ago, a sudden riot happened...

The news then, showing pictures from that dark past.

Broken building. Ruins of houses scattered everywhere. Crying civilians...

Also a picture of mom Taeyeon. All covered in dust and scars. Crying over a death building in front of her. Hugging a small figure tightly within her... the small figure was... a ten years old Changmin.

Changmin flinched. He unconsciously hugged his body, as it trembles in cold shivering even more.

He couldn’t watch this... he shouldn’t watch this.

“A group of Blue, suddenly, coming out of nowhere and throwing bomb near the conference site. Not only that, they burned the building around the conference site. Killing thousands of innocent civilians. Making an uncontrolled chaos. Fortunately, with our recent defense system, the riot could be stopped immediately,”

The newscaster then turned toward the now very stiff Jongwoon, “Mr. Jongwoon. We already had a long running debate this past nine years, about the upcoming Wed Ceremony which will still including a couple coming from both Red and Blue side. The incident happened nine years ago, is a reminder that the Peace Treaty has been a failure, especially from Blue side. What do you think about this, Mr. Jongwoon?”

Changmin swore, he could see Mr. Jongwoon glaring a bit toward the newscaster, “First of all, Mrs. Misun. The incident happened nine years ago didn’t only kill our side, but also, the conference participant who were coming from Blue side. It has been made clear that the riot happened, was caused by a group of rebels. This rebellion, was totally disagree of the peace we’re trying to made between Red and Blue, and still is. So, they try to cause riot, destroying of whatever attempt on building peace between two sides, whenever they could. They were the cause of several reported riots that happening, not only at Red countries, but also Blue countries,”

The newscaster seems to be a bit taken aback, “Mr. Jongwoon, how are you so sure that the riot caused by rebellion? Not some kind of officials Blue army who strongly disagree with our Peace Treaty?”

“The Peace Treaty, Mrs. Misun, was made by an agreement of both Red and Blue side. It wasn’t only ours, the Blue also contributed very well on it,” Jongwoon said a bit loud.

“Mrs. Misun, if you aware, the riot happened nine years ago wasn’t only done by Blue. Yes, the large part of the chaos was indeed, actively done by Blue. But, it was passively also done by the Red rebels. Thus who also dislike our attempt on making peace. Thus who wanted Red to be an independent country going along without the help of Blue...”

The newscaster suddenly interrupted, “I understand, Mr. Jongwoon. What I’m saying is, how can you be very sure? There was no evidence that Red, also took part on it. Whether they rebels or not. Anyone who live nine years ago, could witness that it was clearly Blue, who destroyed our country. Destroyed our home and killing innocents. What is your proof, Mr. Jongwoon?” pushed the newscaster, seemingly desperate.

Mr. Jongwoon also seems to be desperate. He frustratingly glare toward the newscaster, “I’m sorry, Mrs. Misun, but it seems that one fact is clearly forgotten by us...”

Mr. Jongwoon went quiet. So does the studio. The newscaster nervously waited for Mr. Jongwoon’s answer.

“The Blue, Mrs. Misun, our dearest viewer, can’t hold fire, and we clearly saw buildings being burned...”

Changmin could only imagine, that the whole country who currently watched  this, must have gone stunned.

Changmin’s memories automatically rewinded back to nine years ago.

Blaze of cold blue lights. Snows and ice being thrown everywhere. Blue lightning...

And among that... burned building.

Fire...

Fire everywhere...

But... but... Changmin thought, horrified. To think about it... Mr. Jongwoon is somehow right...

But....

There are no Red capable of producing powers... the way most Blue could...

And... the fire was... seemed to be coming out of nowhere...

The newscaster gulped nervously. She could sense that what Mr. Jongwoon saying was... close to the truth.

She, however, quickly changed the topic instead,

“Alright, Mr. Jongwoon. There are still no clear evidence though...”

Mr. Jongwoon quickly glared again toward the newscaster, however, the newscaster make it clear that she didn’t want to talked about that again.

“Mr. Jongwoon, the upcoming Wed Ceremony is actually more important for you, than the rest of our country, or the other Red,” said the newscaster.

Mr. Jongwoon raised his eyebrow skeptically, he waited impatiently for the next newscaster’s question.

“Not because we will have one of the couple matched, coming from Red and Blue. But also, Mr. Jongwoon, in case you forget, tomorrow, one of your bestfriend’s son, Shim Changmin, will also get matched,”

Changmin completely stunned now.

Of course they just couldn’t have this conversation happened without having him as a subject too, right?

Sweats running down from the already nervous Changmin, as he waited what will the newscaster asked Mr. Jongwoon about him.

“Do you have anything to say to him, Mr. Jongwoon? Any tips or any saying about the upcoming marriage life he going to face? About being matched, or anything else?” asked the newscaster carefully.

Mr. Jongwoon gulped. He seems to be kind of forgotting that his bestfriend’s son, was going to be matched.

He turned toward the camera, his eyes seemed like it goes through the TV’s screen and stared toward Changmin.

Changmin, slightly dropped his head down because of that.

“Changmin...” Mr. Jongwoon started with a concerned voice.

“Changmin... you know that we are all love you... endlessly...”

Mr. Jongwoon then slightly cleared his throat.

“Changmin... you will have a great marriage life. You will be matched with someone great. Living a great life. I know it, Changmin. I can see it already...”

Somehow, Mr. Jongwoon’s voice slowed down.

“We love you, Changmin. Please live for a long time...” whispered Mr. Jongwoon, somehow, ended the talk about Changmin.