Dark Dream

[DISCONTINUE] Tales of Fire and Ice

“So... as we all should already know, the term Red and Blue were used to name location after World War IV. The cold places, the southern and the northern, were named Blue Territory. While the warmer one – those countries mostly residing at equator line, was named Red Territory. Nothing of it has anything to do with sides or even race,” Park Jungsoo said while he walked back to his teacher desk.

Jungsoo eyes were still fixed to the history book, as he continued explaining the texts on the book. Trying not to make it sounds monotone.

“However, the Red, us, soon become the majority of the world. With plenty of people moving away from the colder and more broken place of the world toward our countries, we soon outnumbered those who are now called Blue, and make walls, literally, between us and the Blue,”

Jungsoo then dropped the history book to his desk. His eyes glaring through his classroom, to his students.

Half of the class were, asleep.

Like, actually sleeping.

None of them were even bothered of the fact that, Jungsoo, was teaching the important history of their country!

Heads were mostly droop down on the table, covered by hands, or either dangling on the other side of the chair.

Jungsoo’s jaw tightened. He stare toward the students in disbelief.

He know so much that, history, his subject, is totally boring.

As it’s always been repeated from year to year and nothing change so much.

The children were taught that Blue is bad, and Red rules, and so on. Yeah, those are elementary things.

And Jungsoo was currently teaching it to bunches of heated nineteen years old who were all about to married -- or in their term, matched -- in two days.

Jungsoo cleared his throat in annoyance before continuing, trying to get at least, the attention of half of the students who were still awake and stared toward Jungsoo with dead bored eyes.

The students were only flinched a bit, before back to their daily daydreaming... about love... about the kiss they shared with their boyfriend earlier... about today lunch which has been disappointing...

“Our sudden movement of giving a obvious gap between us and and the ‘outside’ world, wasn’t that well received by Blue,” Jungsoo rolled his eyes at that. Well, of course. What was the Red expected? Jungsoo thought.

“Seriously speaking. It is partly our fault too, the Red fault, that the Blue went murderous and rampaged at us. Breaking a World War V. Killing more than half of the world population. This world was soon, on the edge of extinction,” Jungsoo eye-ing through the class again. Now, even more of them were sleeping on his lecture. While those who pretended to listen on him were, either playing with their handphone under their desk or scribbling on their notebook.

Jungsoo sighed in resigning sigh.

“Lucky of us there were still some of bright intellectual who noticed that war bring nothing, but more destruction. They then try to make peace between us and the Blue by creating Wed Ceremony. Back then, you wouldn’t see anyone not paired with the Blue. The city was filled with bunches of two sides living in harmony,”

“It goes on until now... with some changes. Even though it was a hard fight that our grandparents went through, they got to hold some peace treaty between Red and Blue. Successfully preserving our tradition on marrying a Blue, even though it’s now changed to only once per fifty years and only one couple with that requirement will be ‘matched’. But, the long 250 years of peace between Red and Blue must be the mark that the job they did thousands years ago is indeed, close to a success...”

As Jungsoo said that word, the school bell went ringing frantically.

The sleeping student suddenly went up. Gathering all their books and stationary toward their bag and leaving the class in an instant. Totally not bothering their teacher who was currently shouting some things.

“Ok, class! Please pay attention for a while. In two days the Wed Ceremony will be held, so I truly expect you guys to write an essay about your Wedding Ceremony. The essay is due before exam, so please keep it in mind,” Jungsoo said between the sudden crowd at his class.

“Yes, Miss Choi Sooyoung, you ought to collect the paper even though you weren’t matched with your current boyfriend, or if you were to be matched to a blue...” Jungsoo continued while settling his desk.

Sooyoung soon give a death glare toward Jungsoo, “No way! I’ll surely 100% be matched with my boyfriend, Jung Kyungho! You’re such a sore loser, Mr. Park!” Sooyoung shouted upsetly as she left the class with a cry. Her friends, Kwon Yuri and Kim Hyuna, soon catching up after her in panic.

“You too, Kwon Jiyong. Being wounded because your latest football match is seriously not an excuse...” Jungsoo said.

Jiyong stared toward Jungsoo in disbelief, “But my feet were seriously wounded!” Jiyong said while pointing toward the cast on his feet.

Jungsoo rolled his eyes, hands still busy gathering all his things on the desk. Jungsoo knew that Jiyong’s wound has been completely healed three days ago, it was just his way on gaining attention and giving out excuse.

“You can still write with your hand, Jiyong,” Jungsoo said, ignoring the snorting which came from Jiyong soon after.

Jungsoo exhaled. His job has never been easy.

He also once was a student too, of course. So, he knew very well on how out of control a student could be.

To remember it, Jungsoo was actually... punished to this job. His early job was not this.

I should be more thankful though, that they, at least, put me as a history teacher instead... Jungsoo thought as he pinched his nose in depression.

“Oh! And... Changmin! Can I please talk to you for a moment? I promise I won’t be long,” Jungsoo remembered as he saw Changmin standing up from his seat.

Changmin stopped in instant. He stare through his glasses toward Jungsoo nervously.

“Uhh... alright...” answered Changmin slowly.

Jungsoo helped Changmin by pulling a chair for him, siding it near his desk.

Changmin finally reached the chair Mr. Jungsoo prepared for him. He sat down carefully, as he saw Mr. Jungsoo taking off his eyeglass.

Jungsoo seated himself on his desk while his hand busy wiping his eyes.

“So... Changmin...” Jungso started talking carefully. He waited until the last student walk out from the class, before he continue, “Do you... still having nightmare of... being chased by a Blue?”

The question somehow, got Changmin stunned.

How did... he know?

Mr. Jungsoo is actually... his parents bestfriend. So, especially after his mom Miyoung’s death, Mr. Jungsoo has routinely coming to his house for a friendly visit.

But, Changmin didn’t remember seeing Mr. Jungsoo recently. Especially during the time he got his nightmare...

“Well, I visited your house yesterday as I was having a day off...” explained Jungsoo, as if he know what Changmin was thinking of, “Changmin... Taeyeon might be having a harder time to understand... but she knew that you’re still having... your nightmare... and it hasn’t stop...”

More silent, enveloped the room, instead.

Changmin didn’t... actually wanted to talk about his nightmare.

Changmin though, indeed told Taeyeon when he first got his nightmare. He screamed so loud, that he awaken his mom Taeyeon because of that. Changmin didn't have any choice but told mom Taeyeon about his nightmare. That was probably how mom Taeyeon told mr. Jungsoo.

But he trully didn't want to talk about it.

Not. Especially just two days before the Wed Ceremony.

Changmin seriously didn’t know why the sudden thought of marrying a Blue at the Wed Ceremony is bothering him.

There are seriously, as Changmin been repeatedly telling himself, less than 1% chance the he will actually marry one!

It’s just because of the stupid nightmare which feeding on his trauma, that he suddenly get this idea.

And also, why does he suddenly getting nightmare about the blue, just right before the Wed Ceremony? This is very disturbing! To the point it also unconsciously disturbing his mom Taeyeon.

Plus, just right at the time that the Wed Ceremony will have a pairing come from both Blue and Red side?

Why does Changmin have to be matched at this time?

Changmin could only drop his head in hesitation. He bit his lips, not knowing on how to answer Mr. Jungsoo.

Jungsoo seems to caught Changmin’s confusion. He stared toward Changmin in sadness.

He was... one of a member who were really against the war between Red and Blue.

Jungsoo, and his group of friend were people who actively speak about the obligatory peace between Red and Blue.

He and his friends were also the one who caused the tradition, on having a matched couple between Red and Blue, at least every 50 years, still going strong until now.

Until a sudden incident, caused a rebellious Blue to take a life of his dearest friend... of his lover.

Changmin was also the victim of that incident.

And now... in front of him... Changmin has to face of what, Jungsoo, strongly tried to protect.

Jungsoo sighed, he pulled Changmin’s head toward him, and started caressing Changmin’s head, softly.

"So... Changmin... it's about the upcoming wed ceremony... right?" Jungsoo whispered in hesitation. He only wild guessing, but considering the current condition and Changmin's past trauma... it must be it.

“Changmin... it won’t be that bad... not all Blue are... bad. You know?” Jungsoo whispered softly. Trying to not mention the word “murderous”, which could reminded Changmin of his trauma.

Changmin stay silent still. Tears, however, started  escaping from his eyes.

Jungsoo hugged Changmin’s head tighter, “Or at least... Changmin, you probably won’t be matched at all? They will probably put you as a ‘seeder’ instead? Just like me?”  Jungsoo said, trying to cheer Changmin up.

Changmin choked up at Mr. Jungsoo’s words.

He is right? I could be a seeder instead?

Mr. Jungsoo, actually, biologically, is Changmin’s father.

This is a fact that Changmin has forgotten. At Wed Ceremony, not everyone are actually gonna be matched. Some of them will instead, assigned as a "seeder" or "keeper".

The seeder or keeper are assigned, in case there are couple that can’t produce child, the way Changmin mothers were.

Fortunately for Changmin’s mothers, their very best friend Jungsoo was assigned as a seeder.

Mr. Jungsoo was of course, more than happy to “share” seeds for his mother. That was how, mom Miyoung was pregnant from Mr. Jungsoo’s “seeds”.

So, biologically, Changmin is Jungsoo’s son. That explain their closeness now.

Jungsoo has always been very dear toward Changmin, even more after the incident that hit Changmin’s family.

So does Changmin had always loves his biologic father, Jungsoo.

But... Changmin still couldn’t have the gut to talk with his dad about his daily nightmare...

Changmin worried slowly washed off at his dad’s words.

A little bit of hope started to grow on Changmin.

However, Changmin couldn’t stop his sobbing.

More than half part of him still dead worried about the nightmare.

It has been keeping Changmin awake every night. Successfully reducing Changmin’s sleep time. Caused Changmin to be afraid on closing his eyes.

An image of a sudden Blue light blazing through Changmin’s head could suddenly be seen again. It’s just an inch away from his mom Taeyeon’s ears, as she screamed while hugging the child Changmin tighter, protecting him from any upcoming danger.

Only to have the lighting hits someone else.

Someone else... that Taeyeon love more than her life, too.

Changmin squeezed his eyes. His hands now clenching Jungsoo’s pants, tightly. Trying to find protection on his dad. More tears were flowing down from his eyes.

Jungsoo soon hopped down from his desk to hug Changmin’s body, worriedly.

One of his hand was patting Changmin’s back, while the other pulled his crying son’s head more toward his embrace.

“Sshh.. Changmin... It’s okay... You have me here... There are nothing to be afraid of...” He said slowly, lips started kissing Changmin’s ear.

Jungsoo frustratingly closed his eyes.

What Jungsoo used to fight about, what he and Taeyeon... and Miyoung used to fight about so much...

It was somehow turned their back toward them.

Attacked of what three of them loved the most.

Successfully... tested of what three of them used to believe.