Chapter 4

Lost

The next day was quite funny for the group. Number 4 had woken up the earliest and was sitting next to the tree that was closest to Kihyun, when he'd woken up he immediately started screaming. Not because he forgot she was now part of the group, but because she looked like a ghost with her hair down. The members woke up and one by one started screaming, except for Changkyun who started laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. 

Once they had gathered up their belongings and freshened  up, they continued their hike to their location. Kihyun kept trying to walk next to Number 4, but every attempt he got was shoved aside due to the fact that she'd hurry to Minhyuks side to start a conversation. By lunch time he had taken a seat next to her and surprisingly she didn't move. His chances to talk were ruined however because he got too nervous to say anything, by the time he found the words to say, she had finished eating and had gone to rest in a tree nearby. 

In the afternoon it had become clear that all the group was going to do was walk. They were all exhausted after lunch, but alas they couldn't stay in the same spot for too long. Kihyun once again had tried to talk to the girl. She was walking infront of him, this time with no companion. He hurried up to her and before he could say anything she told him she was too tired to talk about anything, leaving them in silence for the rest of the journey. 

"Well that was the last of our meals, we should be reaching the south pier town soon, there we'll go around looting. If we come up empty handed, we'll have to result in hunting." Kihyun said before dragging his bag to the tree furthest away from the fire. 

He was setting up his bed when he heard footsteps. Expecting them to belong to one of the guys, he ignored it. The footsteps got closer before he heard a bag drop and sure enough, it was Number 4. 

"Mind if i sleep here?" She motioned to the spot beside him.
"Go ahead." He replied cooly, even tho on the inside, he was going mad. 

She gave him a small smile before laying out her duvet. The minute her head hit her pillow she was passed out. The days walking had really killed her energy and she knew she was going to need more of it tomorrow. Kihyun watched her for a minute before falling asleep himself, the soft crackling of the fire being the last thing he heard before he knocked out. 


He didn't know how it happened, whether Number 4 had shifted to him or he had shifted to her, but he'd woken up to her in his arms. Her head was resting on his arm and he had his arms wrapped around her, as if trying to protect her from the rest of the world. He noticed she hadn't woken up yet and knew if he moved she'd be awake in no time so his head hit the pillow again, but before he could sleep he felt her shuffling in his arms.

"So that's why i felt so warm last night." Number 4 said, her words almost coming out as a laugh. "I know you're awake tho. Goodmorning."

Kihyun didn't know if he was dreaming or not, but Number 4 almost sounded happy in the past two days he'd known her. She didn't waste time to detach herself from him and he almost wished she didn't because he somehow felt cold and empty. 

He heard her shuffle around for a few minutes before getting up himself. 
"Where are you going?" He asked as he saw her walk off. 
"I hear a stream nearby, i'm gonna go freshen up." She answered, not bothering to look back. 

Kihyun stretched his arms above his head before standing up. Maybe he'll talk to her today. Just maybe.

When the girl had come back, the rest of the boys had already gotten up and started packing up their belongings. Minhyuk didn't even need a second to be by Number 4's side again, his cheerful smile already playing at his lips.

"Did you sleep well last night?" 
"Very well." She smiled back at him.

Kihyun who had witnessed the small exchange of words couldn't help but blush at the girls answer. "Very well." As if she liked cuddling with him. Not that he minded, but she was always cold to him. Women were weird, that was probably the only reason they hadn't had females in the group before. The group quickly packed up and started walking towards the next town. 

As suspected by Kihyun, the town was completely empty save for some stray cats loitering around. They were put into groups of two to loot around for food and supplies, and of course, Minhyuk had quickly glued himself to Number 4's side. Something along the lines of jealousy boiled inside of Kihyun, but he let it simmer down and walked off with Wonho.

"I think Kihyun likes you." Minhyuk was the first to break the silence. The girl nearly rolled his eyes at his words.
"And why would you think that?"
"I saw you guys snuggling up to each other yesterday night, and this morning when i went to walk with you, i could feel him shooting arrows into my head. Even when we were put into groups! If looks could kill i'd be dead by now." 

Number 4 didn't know why she laughed, but she did. She found it funny that someone could even develop feelings for anyone even after knowing them for only three days. Or maybe that was just how guys worked. 

"Yea well. I'm not really one for liking. I just wanna find my brother." She reasoned and he frowned. 
"Well what are you going to do after that? We're still on the risk of getting killed by the government. No one's going to live happily ever after, especially not here." She was about to open to reply before he continued.
"Why don't you just stay with us after you find your brother. We could survive together. As a team!" 

His words nearly gave her hope for her future. But nothing good ever lasted long.

Thought you could hide didn't you, Number 4.