The Final Chapter

Friendship

 

 

THE FINAL CHAPTER

 

June 8, 2008

“Eunhyuk, how’ve you been?” Kyuhyun greeted him happily as he gave him a tight hug. It’s been a little over a year since they’d last talk to each other.

Eunhyuk hugged him back and smiled. “I’ve been good. It was definitely a great cultural experience to be an exchange student at Princeton. But it’s definitely good to be back home.”

“It’s nice to see you again, Eunhyuk.” Eun Hye interjected nervously as she awkwardly smiled at him. Their parting wasn’t really one for the books so everything could be trial and error.

“Hey, Eun Hye, It’s nice to see you again.” Eunhyuk looked at her and smiled. Relief settled into Eun Hye as she went over to hug her best friend—the best friend she missed dearly. Donghae felt a twinge of hurt when he saw this but truth be told, he knew that he deserved to feel this way after all of the things that he did.

Without so much of a word, Donghae slipped away from them, not wanting to bother their reunion. He exited the cafeteria with a very heavy heart. After all that happened in the past year, he managed to turn his life around for the better by accepting his mother’s help and swallowing his pride as his step father repeatedly mocked him for being such a nuisance. All of those didn’t matter because he just needed proper food to eat, a house he could go to everyday.

He felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around and saw Siwon—his old best friend looking at him with a serious expression. “Can we talk?”

Donghae hesitated for a bit but agreed to it. They went to the University courtyard and sat on the bench, neither one trying to strike up a conversation. Siwon cleared his throat and looked a Donghae. “It’s been awhile huh?” Siwon said.

Donghae nodded. “Yeah.”

“Kyuhyun told me to talk to you even though I still have a little bit of grudge towards you but…even though you did what you did, I already forgave you..although it’s still hard for me to be in the same room with you, I want you to know that the door to our friendship is still open.”

Donghae looked at Siwon and smiled. “Thank you for saying that.” He paused, looking at Siwon. “I want to let you know that I never hated because of who you are or whom you loved…I’m sorry that I got greedy and hurt you and your family…especially your sister.”

Siwon nodded. “Eun Hye…she already forgave you…She was just surprised to see you here after all that’s happened.”

Donghae and Siwon remained quiet just smiled at each other like nothing happened. Just like two best friends.

January 1, 2015

“I swear…if…if we don’t get there in time, I will bite your head off!” Eun Hye practically ripped the seats of the car she and her husband owned.

“I’m driving as fast as I can!” He scowled as well.

“Can’t you drive any faster?” She groveled as she felt a second round of contraction. Why oh why did their baby want to see the world a month earlier!

He looked back at his wife and tried not to chuckle. “It’s not funny!” She screamed. As she felt another round of excruciating contraction yielding her to scream again.

“Well don’t distract me, okay! I’m trying to drive as carefully and as fast as I can!” He retorted.

Lee Eunhyuk!!!! Why don’t you try to get pregnant and see how it feels huh?”

“Alright, already…we’re almost there, okay?”

After long hours of waiting, Eunhyuk and Eun Hye welcomed their son, Lee Ji Hoon on new year’s day. They are now proud parents.

 

Present Day

Eun Hye was feeding Ji Hoon his breakfast consisting of baby food with a little bit of banana. “Does it taste good?” She cooed. Her baby smiled at her and made cute sounds with his little voice.

Eunhyuk stepped out of their bedroom and padded towards the dining area and planted a kiss on top of Eun Hye’s head. “Good morning my beautiful wife.” He whispered to her. She looked at him and pinched his cheek.

“Good morning my…handsome husband.”

Eunyhyuk greeted his son with a kiss on the head. “Hey my little Ji Hoon, did you sleep well.” He the little head of his son before  The baby looked at him and smiled, showing three new morsels of teeth.

Eunhyuk chuckled and sat next to his wife, wrapping an arm around her. “Thank you for being the best wife any man could ever as for…” He whispered. Eun Hye looked at Eunnyuk and placed the back of her hand on his forehead.

“Are you sick or something?” She smiled as she kissed her husband’s lips gently. Eunhyuk pulled her close and kissed her some more before she pushed him off gently. “Ji Hoon is sitting in front of us…control youself.” She winked at him.

“I love you…” Eunhyk mouthed.

“I love you too…” Euny Hye replied.

Meanwhile, Siwon and Kyuhyun just arrived in Busan and it felt surreal to Kyuhyun because it had been years since he last saw this place. “Hey, are you okay?” Siwon looked a little worried. Kyuhyun bit his bottom lip.

“Do you want me to be honest?” He zipped his jacket a little bit higher. Siwon smiled a little and nodded.

“Of course, we should always be honest,”

Kyuhyun flashed him a bried smile as he leaned his head on Siwon’s shoulder as the bus drove on the familiar streets. They both  noticed that the baker they used to buy strawberry filled donuts and hot chocolate expanded, the place that sold hoagies long gone and the library closed down. It was kind of disheartening to see the library in that state because that’s the place were Kyuhyun and Siwon started to have feelings for each other over ten years ago. Siwon looked at Kyuhyun lovingly as he slowly caressed his face. “I love you…” he whispered. Kyuhyun smiled and told him that he loves him too.

Kyuhyun took in the house that was in front of them. The house he grew up in. It had so many memories…the good…the bad…and everything else in between. Tears started to prick Kyuhyun’s eyes as he remembered those painfully sad days when he went years without talking to his parents. “I can’t believe that this house…it never changed…even after so many years.”

Siwon looked at his lover tenderly and smiled. “I’m sure you want to see your parents as much as they want to see you…”

Kyuhyun looked at Siwon in confusion. “What do you mean?”

His other half took Kyuhyun’s hand in his and rang the doorbell, much to Kyuhyun’s surprise. It was definitely not something that he expected from Siwon. He looked on in nervous anticipation as the gate slightly opened and he saw his mother’s face. He felt his limbs froze over and his tongue knotted. “My son…” The emotion in his mother’s voice was enough to break his heart into millions of pieces.

He ran up to her and hugged her so tight. “Mommy…I’m so sorry…” his voice was muffled by his sobs and Siwon couldn’t help not get choked up in tears as he witnessed the heart warming reunion between a mother and child.

She caressed his back just like a any mother would do to a new born baby. “I missed you…” he whispered to her son over and over again as tears streamed down her face. Suddenly another person hugged the two of them. Kyuhyun looked up and saw his father’s face for the first time in several years. He saw all the worry lines on his calm and friendly features as he smiled at him lovingly.

“That took you long enough…” He said quietly as he ruffled the top his son’s head.

“Dad…I’m so sorry…”

Mr. Cho shook his head. “No…I’m sorry.” He said directly. “I should’ve accepted you when you and Siwon came to me and your mother…I’m sorry for all the years that we lost because of my hard headedness…” Kyuhyun’s father chuckled.

Mr. Cho looked at Siwon and mouther a gratifying word of thanks as he motioned for the other man to join them in their hug. Siwon happily obliged as he sunk into warm group embrace. He then heard a whispered from Kyuhyun’s dad.

“Thank you for making my son very happy in the last several years…I’ll be forever thankful for that…my son…”

Tears steamed down Siwon’s face hard as he heard those words. He’d never thought that this day would come and he couldn’t wait to tell his parents all about it. He hugged all of them tighter as the feeling of being part of his man’s family washed over him.

On the other hand, Lee Donghae just got home to his wife and his one year old son, Woo Hyun. After all that has happened in the last ten years, he found himself happy and contented in his life. He has a beautiful wife whom he loves dearly and a bright wonderful son who he adores in every waking moment. He may have wished to have led a different path in his life when he was younger but the experiences he had growing up made him the man that he always wanted to be. Someone who cares.

He grabbed his phone from his pocket and slid out of the bedroom he shares with his wife, not wanting to wake her up.

He whipped up the names of the four people who had a significant meaning in his life…Eun Hye, Siwon, Kyuhyun, and Eun Hyuk—he added them to his messenging list and composed a heartfelft group message.

For all the things that had happened to us, be it good or bad, it made us who we are today. I just wanted to thank you guys for everything. To you Siwon, my bestfriend, thank you for remaining the same even after all this years…I love you bro. To Eun Hye and Eun Hyuk, what can I say, we had a very complicated relationship but thank you nonetheless for being very mature in dealing with me. To Kyuhyun, I may have bullied you a lot when we were in high school and I’m sorry for that. My hope and my prayers that you and Siwon would remain for life.

Satisfied with what he’s written, he sent the message. A smile crept to his face as he headed back to his bedroom only to hear his phone chiming. His smile became even bigger.

Looking back, all of us were entangled in friendships like this. There were times that we argued a lot with our friends only to find ourselves having a stronger bond wirh them. The feeling of having someone there for you is the best feeling in the world right?

In the next year that came, Siwon and Kyuhyun remained strong. They even applied to have the right for an adoption and in the last process of doing so. They certainly lived happily together and loving each other everystep of the way. Eun Hye and Eunhyuk on the other hand welcomed another joy to their family…they had twins! Donghae is now living next to Kyuhyun and Siwon’s place and often visits with Eun Hyuk and Eun Hye having play time with his son and the latter’s son.

I’m pretty sure you wanted to know what message Donghae received, right.

The message was from Eun Hye.

Friends forever, whether together…or apart…

THE END
 

Hey guys, this is it! The final hoorah for this story! Thank you for all the comments and support you gave this little project of mine! Be sure to stay tuned for more!