The Past Meets The Present

Friendship

This Chapter will include some flash forwards to 2016! I terribly apologize for not updating this for several days, I was just busy getting ready for job interviews. Anyway here ya go!

Chapter XIII

The Past Meets The Present

“What did you say?” Eun Hye was dumbfounded at what she’d heard. She couldn’t even believe that her best friend would tell her that he loves her. “You love me?”

Eunhyuk bit his bottom lip and nodded. He took her hand in his and gave at tight squeeze. “I’ve been in love with your for as long as I can remember Eun Hye, and I just wanted you to know that.” He paused, trying to come up with something else to say to her at this point.

“Lee Eunhyuk, I’m sorry but…” She looked at him with sad eyes that broke his heart.

“I know what you’re going to say…you don’t have to let me know.” When he looked at her his eyes were a little puffy already. “but just know this, I won’t stop waiting for you.” He paused, looking at her intently. “I’ve already waited for ten whole years for you and you bein with that guy won’t change the way I feel for you.”

“Eunhyuk…” She tried to speak but Eunhyuk cut her off with a shake of his head.

“Like I said, you don’t have to say anything about this right now.” He sighed heavily and flashed her a small smile. “I can wait.” He paused, looking at her as if it was the last time that he would ever do so and once again, entering the arcade as if nothing happened.

On the other hand, Eun Hye was fixated on where she was not even trying to move. She felt like she was being pulled into two different sides of the spectrum and it’s making her feel really bad.

Meanwhile, Lee Donghae sat on the abandon alley way as he wiped the sweat of his forehead. Luckily—if there is anything that he can even consider lucky for himself—Yesung was just kidding him about asking his cronies to rough him up.

“I was just scaring you…” Yesung bent down and smacked Donghae’s face lightly. “but if you say stupid things like that, you’re really going to get it, okay?”

When the left him alone, he sighed in heavy relief that he wouldn’t have to explain to Eun Hye why he was badly beaten up. He is so sure that she wouldn’t believe that he just keeled over while jogging but now, he is still stuck on his deal with Yesung.

His phone buzzed and he picked it up. It was his mother.

“What do you want?” He hissed.

 

Flash Forward

October 29, 2016

Eun Hye was busy mixing the batter for the strawberry cake she was about to make when the phone in the living room went off. She went to it haphazardly stepping on a toy tonka truck of her one year old son, Ji Hun. She picked it up and once she heard that familiar voice on the phone her heart skipped at beat.

“Hey honey,” She sounded to giddy even though she and her husband had been married for over two years. “How was your trip to Jeju Island?” She bit her bottom lip and smiled.

The line crackled a bit as her husband piped up. “It’s a little stressful but you know, it’s always like this whenever I go here but it’s all good.” There was a slight pause. Eun Hye heard him closing the door from the other end.

“Did you order fast food again?” It really annoyed her that her husband lived off on fast food these past year, he always said that it was really something that he could grab before going to work but she thinks otherwise of it.

“Nope.”

“I know when you’re lying to me.” She replied, chuckling a little.

“No you don’t”

Are you really challenging me Mr. Lee.” She asked.

End of Flash forward

 

January 15, 2007

Cho Kyuhyun and Choi Siwon were in the living room and they were in front of Kyuhyun’s parents. Mr. Cho looked so pale, he couldn’t even speak whereas Mrs. Cho glared at the two of them.

“This—whatever this is—is unacceptable!” Mrs. Cho boomed. Kyuhyun closed his eyes, willing himself not to cry.

Siwon stood up. “With all due respect Mr. and Mrs. Cho, I ask you to allow my relationship with Kyuhyun.” Suddenly, he got on  his knees.

Kyuhyun looked at Siwon and did what he did as well. “Mom, dad, please allow our relationship.” Tears streamed down his face as he pleaded for his parents acceptance.

Mrs. Cho turned away, her shoulder’s moving up and down, like she was crying really hard. Mr. Cho stood up and smiled at his son. He stood up and helped Kyhyun up. Kyuhyun looked at his father with wide eyes. His father’s expression changed from disbelief, to anger, then to realization and then back again. He suddenly felt a stinging slap across his face, making him topple over the end table and hitting the back of his elbow hard.

Siwon immediately went towards Kyuhyun and helped him up. “Sir…you—you don’t have to resort to this.” He spoke in a stuttering manner as he shakily helped Kyuhyun up.

“You’re not my son anymore.” He cold heartedly muttered. “Get out.”

“Dad…” he said.

“I said get out!” He boomed. “Your mother and I don’t need you.”

Those words stung and Kyuhyun just looked at Siwon as whispered to him to get him out of this house. Possibly forever.

 

Flash Forward

October 29, 2016

Siwon woke up next to Kyuhyun in their shared apartment in Seoul. He pulled him close, nuzzling his neck; the faint hint of the vanilla orange lotion Kyuhyun always used made Siwon snuggle even closer to him. “He lightly blew on Kyuhyun’s ear, making him stir up a little.

He loosened his arms around his lover’s waist as he slowly turned around to face him. “Good morning…” Kyuhyun greeted sleepily.

Siwon grinned at him and greeted him with a soft kiss on his lips. “Good morning…” He whispered.

Kyuhyun smiled onto the kiss as he wrapped both of his arms around Siwon’s neck. “I love you…”  Kyuhyun faintly whispered to Siwon. He was suddenly pulled closer and felt a tight hug greet him.

“I love you too…” Siwon kissed the top of Kyuhyun’s head.

After awhile of fooling around in their bedroom, they padded towards the kitchen area, Kyuhyun was busy making coffee for the two of them while Siwon perched his reading glasses on as he thumbed through his lesson plan.

“So, Dr. Cho, what’s on your schedule today?” Siwon asked as he but his lip, frowning because there was a slight error on it, grabbing a red pen, he marked it.

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Well, I don’t really have anything to do today since my client decided to cancel our session for today. I mean, they told me that they wanted their kid to take a break from my constant psychological analysis but I really can’t force them come to my office, can’t I?

Siwon nodded. “Well, since we’re both free for the next two days on account that it’s a weekend. Why don’t we go to Busan? It’s been awhile, you know. Plus, my mom and dad misses us.”

Kyuhyun stiffened for a moment before shrugging. “I don’t know.” He replied as he poured the the steaming freshly made coffee on a mug for him and Siwon.

“C’mon, it’s been several years already, Kyu.” Siwon said.

“Can we not talk about this?” Kyuhyun glared at Siwon. The other man stood up and hugged Kyuhyun from behind.

“We need to.” He whispered. “I mean, you parents must’ve missed you so much.”

“I miss them too.” Kyuhyun blinked back the tears that were trying to make their way out of his eyes. “But they hurt me a lot when they didn’t accept me for who I am.”

Siwon nodded. He spun Kyuhyun so that he can face him. He kissed his forehead. “I know that.” He paused, looking straight into Kyuhyun’s eyes. “I was there, remember?”

“So, there you have it. End of discussion, we don’t have to go back to Busan.” Kyuhyun was a little nerved but he was direct.

“Don’t you think we’ve hurt the too?” He asked Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun turned away. “Yeah…we did. But if they really loved me, they would’ve accepted me right off the bat.”

Siwon nodded. “I can’t really argue with a licensed psychologist but as your boyfriend, I can be frank with you.” He paused, collecting his thoughts. “You must also learn how to forgive. Yes, your father was harsh on you but you’re his only son and it must’ve been hard on him. I know for a fact that it was hard for my parents as well. You say they accepted me right off—and that’s true, but I heard my mom the very night that I told the truth, she was crying about me, and that hurt me a lot too.”

Kyuhyun looked at him and just leaned his head to Siwon’s chest. Not bothering to say anything more.

End of Flash Forward

 

January 15, 2007

“So you told your parents?” Eun Hye asked as she sat next to Kyuhyun on the plush couch inside her bedroom. For the time being, Kyuhyun will stay at the Choi’s. Mr. and Mrs. Choi welcomed him with open arms and it felt good. They just asked him a few questions here and there about what happened when he told his parents.

“Yeah. They are pretty mad.” He paused, his cheek still stung from the slap he got from his father—he never even dreamed of his father hurting him like that because he’s always so warm and inviting.—“Mom and dad practically disowned me.”

Eun Hye looked at him sympathetically. “Yes. I know that. You can’t really blame them for their reaction but when your father slapped you, that was really too much. He could’ve talked to you rationally.

Kyuhyun nodded. “Can we talk about you now?” he said. “Having conversations like this is making me feel uncomfortable.”

“What’s there to talk about?” Eun Hye shrugged. “The fact that I’m dating Donghae now and that Eunhyuk confessed his feelings for me earlier?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “Wait back up.” He paused, scratching the tip of his nose. “You’re dating Donghae now?”

Eun Hye nodded bashfully. “He just asked me out on a date…and we kissed already…”

Kyuhyun felt bad for Eunhyuk. His confession was stomped on. “Eunhyuk really liked you.” He said. Eun Hye looked baffled.

“You knew?” She asked. “How?”

Kyuhyun shrugged a little. “He told me when I was in the hospital. And quite frankly, you never even noticed him. He’s always looking out for you, always willing to wait for you, and even told me how much he likes you…but you really can’t force yourself to like someone.”

Eun Hye felt even worse after hearing what Kyuhyun said. She’d never even looked at Eunhyuk in that way. She always saw him as her best friend, nothing more than that.

“I don’t know what to do.” She admitted.

“Well, I’m guessing you have to choose.” Kyuhyun suggested.

To choose? That will be twice as hard.

Eun Hye looked at the framed picture of her and Eunhyuk. Their faces squished together on the ratio of the photo. Their smiles were toothy and there was this youthful gleam in their eyes.

Flash Forward

October 29, 2016, Jeju Island

Lee Eunhyuk was busy with his final patient for the day. He’d been here for a few days and wanted to come home to his beautiful wife and adorable baby. What can he say? He misses them dearly. “Dr. Lee.”

The nurse called out to him and smiled. “Your replacement is here.” She opened the door for the other doctor to take Eunhyuk’s place for the night. Eunhyuk felt his breath caught in his throat as a familiar person walked inside. He smiled at him a little, reminiscing about the things that happened between them ten years ago.”Lee Donghae?”

The man smiled at him and tipped his hat in greeting. “Lee Eunhyuk, it’s been a while.”

Eunhyuk nodded. “So you were the doctor who covers the night shift?” He asked as he helped the little kid he was doing a general check up and told him to go to the nurse’s station.

Donghae chuckled a little. “Why do you look so surprised?” He sat on the chair next to the table. “I have my glorious moments too, you know?”

It’s been over eight years since he last saw Lee Donghae and it did surprise him that Donghae is a doctor as well. “So, how are you?” He asked him as he shrugged off his coat.

Donghae shrugged. “Well, I’m doing pretty well.”

Eunhyuk nodded. “That’s good.”

“Are you married?” Donghae asked. Eunhyuk’s eyes gleamed as he touched his wedding band.

“Yeah, next year we’ll be celebrating our third anniversary.” He practically glowed as he spoke. “We already a have a little one as well, a baby boy.” He paused, looking at Donghae. “How about you?”

Donghae smiled. “Yeah. Just like you I’ll be with my wife for three years next year.” He said happily. “I also have a baby boy.”

Eunhyuk nodded. “So what’s your son’s name?”

Donghae smiled. “What’s your son’s name?” He countered, winking at him.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. McDonald’s delivery!

“You get fast food deliveries as well?” They asked each other in unison. Chuckling at the coincidence.

End of Flash Forward

February 3, 2007

It had been awhile since Siwon and Donghae last talked to each other and it was starting to bother Siwon, thinking that Donghae doesn’t want to be his friend anymore because he’s gay. One time, Siwon invited him to play Tekken 5 with him and Kyuhyun but he just turned away saying that he had baseball practice. It was only a few hour later that Siwon found out that Donghae didn’t have practice because the season was over already.

“Are we on good terms?” Siwon plopped down the couch as Donghae was rolling the sleeping bag he’d been using since moving in.

Donghae couldn’t even answer. He didn’t want Siwon to think that he doesn’t want to be his friend anymore because he’s gay. Donghae is not that dense. He’s just ashamed of himself for being Yesung’s puppet. “Yeah.”

Siwon nodded. “Okay, then, why are you avoiding me?” He paused, biting his bottom lip, not wanting to get on with this kind of conversation but he knew that he somehow had to get answers as to why his best friend is acting like this. “Is it because…I’m gay?”

“No.” he paused. “I just have a lot on my plate right now.” He really didn’t want to tell his best friend about his plans with Yesung, right? That would be a major no-no, especially if it involves Yesung and his cronies giving him grave bodily harm. Without so much of a word, he left Siwon’s room, his shoulders slumping.

As soon as he stepped out of the house, he saw Eun Hye. He immediately felt a twinge of guilt because of what he’s about to do. The time is already ticking and since they’d been ‘dating’ for over a week now, he found himself slowly falling for her. When she saw him, she smiled and waved before walking towards him and giving his cheeks a pinch. “How’re you?” her watery smile made Donghae’s stomach churn. He plastered on the best fake smile he can.

“I’m doing very well.” He lied.

Meanwhile, Siwon entered Eun Hye’s room, he saw Kyuhyun buried in thick text books. “Wow, hitting the books pretty hard these days, huh?” The younger boy looked up, his wire rimmed glasses perched on his nose as he flashed him a smile. Siwon sat on the foot of Eun Hye’s bed and motion for Kyuhyun to sit on his lap.

“Yeah,” he paused, making a dog ear on one of the pages of his AP Chemistry book and closing it. “It’s the only way for me to distract myself from all the bad things that happened…I mean…those were intense.” He took his glasses off and sat firmly on his boyfriend’s lap.

Kyuhyun kissed the tip of his nose. “Thank you for loving me…” he whispered. Siwon cupped his face in his hands and kissed his lips gently.

He pulled away slightly and took Kyuhyun’s hand in his. “Well, if you’re really thankful then, a few days from now,” he paused, pulling Kyuhyun even closer to him. “Why don’t we go to that annual Valentine’s Day dance?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “A—are you sure?” He stammered nervously. “If people see us together, they will talk…” Siwon silenced Kyuhyun with a gentle kiss on the lips.

“What did I tell you about being insecure because of our relationship?” He cooed.

Kyuhyun flashed a shy smile. “Not to care about what other people think just as long as we’re happy and in love, that’s all that matters.”

“Good.” Siwon kissed Kyuhyun again.

“Ahem.”

Both boys craned their necks to see Eun Hye smiling at them mischievously. “You guys are so cute.” She said. “I’ll just get my bag and I’ll be out of your hair.” She said. Suddenly, Henry poked his head.

“Can I get a kiss too?” He pointed at himself.

The three chuckled at Henry’s actions. “C’mon Henry, let’s go to the arcade!” She peeled Henry off the bed and smiled at him.

“Is Eunhyuk going to be there?” He asked. Eun Hye suddenly froze. “Are you okay?” Henry waved his hands in front of Eun Hye’s face. The girl snapped out and smiled.

“I’m okay…let’s just go…” She seemed very nerved about the mentioning of Eunhyuk’s name. “See you guys later.”

Siwon turned to Kyuhyun. “What’s with Eun Hye and Eunhyuk? Did this have a misunderstanding?”

Kyuhyun pursed his lips. “It’s a very long story…”

 

End of Chapter

Thank You for Reading and Do leave some comments!