Chapter 4

Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Eunbin woke up the next morning, she was upset that Sooyeon has already left the room. Last night when she came back, Sooyeon was already asleep, back facing her. She sighed as she got up to prepare for the day. As her eyes shifted to her table, she saw a piece of egg cake with a note underneath it. Only Eunbin and her nanny knew of her love for egg cake, as it was considered too low class for her family. Smiling to herself, she quickly sat in front of her table and picked up the note that simply read ‘remember to eat your breakfast’.

 

    Biting into the cake, she smiled at Sooyeon’s small and precise handwriting. She always loved reading the poetry Sooyeon wrote for her, and unknown to anyone she still keeps it securely in a box alongside her ring at home. Those were the only memories left from their time together. No photos, only words on a paper and a painful reminder of a broken promise. During the year apart, whenever her disagreements with her family got really bad, She would curl up in bed, reading the poems that praised her beauty and intellect and thumb the ring, wishing so badly that she could call Sooyeon on the phone and have her chase her woes away.

 

***

    School was relatively unimpressive, Sooyeon had already read ahead on her classes, and her friends were mostly 2nd generation wealthy kids that didn’t really care much for school. As she rested her head on the table, ignoring the lecturer’s rant on why coming to lectures were important, she thought to herself ‘Was leaving the cake a good idea? I mean I bought it without thinking after I saw the ajumma selling it outside the doenjang jjigae shop. What if she misunderstands? But it can’t be that bad right? Roommates can take care of each other, there’s nothing wrong with that’

 

Groaning as she was unable to come to a satisfactory answer, she got up and left the lecture theatre, deciding that she would never come back because the textbook would probably teach her more than the ranting lecturer. As she walked towards the canteen, ready to have an early lunch since she rushed out of her room in the morning, forgetting her share of the egg cake, she was stopped by a hand on the shoulder.

 

“Annyeong Sooyeon-ah, remember me?” L.Joe greeted smiling.
    “Ah, Oppa annyeonghaseyo” Sooyeon quickly bowed.
    “Hahaha, you don’t have to so formal, I grew up in the States, I don’t care for those much. Are you free now?”
    “Erm… I am on my way to lunch”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter