The official break-up.

Waking up without you.

[ Key ]

 

My fingers brushed against the buttons, letting them press the door code that I've come to memorize over the weeks since I moved here - well, next door to be exact. They unlocked and I gently pushed it open, beckoning the skinny guitarist to enter first. I trailed behind him as he made a beeline to the living room and plop down on the single-seated couch. I placed the shopping on the center table, smiling when something - or rather someone - caught my eye.

I sat crossed-leg on the carpeted floor and stared at the adorable being lying on his stomach on the long black-leathered couch.

"Kibummie, tell me why we're here again instead of your apartment?"
I heard Seunghyun whine behind me. I shushed him, not wanting to wake the sleeping soul.

I can only imagine MVPs, or whatever it is he calls his screaming fan girls, fainting if they ever get the chance to see this dork in this state. I leaned in to get a closer look of his face - eyes turning to slits, chubby cheeks, pointed nose - and poked his cheek once. When he didn't budge, I tried poking him again. His nose wrinkled as he stirred slightly causing me to chuckle lowly, but enough to bring the seemingly dead back to life.

"Key?"
The now awaken singer slurred, his voice still hoarse from sleep. He brought a hand to his face to rub sandman's dust off his eyes.

"Hey, Sleepyhead." I teased as he sat up and stretched, his golden locks sticking out everywhere. "Tight schedule?"

He nodded once and yawned. "I'm just glad to have gotten some sleep. Finally."

"Don't overwork yourself, Rabbit." I advised. He's been busy with his upcoming comeback that he often comes home at dawn.

I remember...
You were also busy back then, you barely even come home at all.

"I'm trying not to. What's up with him?" He asked, referring to Seunghyun who was sprawled out on the couch, looking as though he just went through the gates of hell.

"I'll make you a cup of hot chocolate." I said, standing up from the carpeted floor and heading to the kitchen. Jinki has done numerous favors for me and it was only fair that I do something for him once in a while, too.

I watched from the counter as Seunghyun lazily turned his head to Jinki and spoke. "Hyung, remind me NOT to take that sly fox shopping ever again. I promised to buy him a hoodie, ONE freaking hoodie, but he almost bought the whole mall! Just look at those shopping bags! I have to carry all of those around and not to mention pay for every single one! My poor wallet can't cough out a single dime even if I wanted to, thanks to a certain blonde model that goes by the name of Kim Kibum!"

By the time he finished throwing a fit, I already made it back to the couch, handing the cup to Jinki who mouthed a soft 'thank you' in return. Seunghyun's tantrums caused both Jinki and I to burst into chuckles. Believe it or not, one of the reasons I made it through a whole month without you was because of this whiny kid.

As if on cue, Seunghyun's ringtone went off. He fished it out of his black skinny jeans and pouted more upon seeing the caller ID. He hesitated for a second but answered the call eventually.

"Manager-hyung? I'm at Kibum's place, or rather Onew-hyung's since he lives next door. Now? B-but! Fine. I'll be there in twenty." He hung up with a heavy sigh and a disappointed look.

"Go. Your career comes first, Seunghyun-ah." Jinki released the older brother in him, and not to mention he's his senior, telling the boy to follow his manager's orders.

I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, Jinki's right.
Maybe I was the one being selfish all this time, not thinking of your career.

Seunghyun puffed air in his cheeks but knew better than to disobey his manager's and Jinki's commands. He stood up from lazying on the couch and walked over to peck my cheek.

"I'll be going, Kibummie." I just nodded and returned my best friend's contagious dimpled smile.

He turned to his heel and walked towards the door. But as he did, he took a sudden pause and glanced over his shoulder, his gaze meeting Jinki's.

"Onew-hyung..." He bit on his lower lip before proceeding. "I'm not him. No matter the circumstance, Kim Kibum always comes first."

With that, he left Jinki and I dumbfounded, his reatreating back suddenly emitted the aura of a real man. I couldn't help but smile at his sincerity, a warm feeling tugging at my heart. Who would've thought that someone as dorky as Song Seunghyun could have such moving thoughts? One thing's for sure, though... that kid wouldn't leave me hanging even if I told him to.

"Well, that was... new." Said Jinki who was yet to recover from Seunghyun's bold statement.

I moved on the couch, lying down fully with my head on the arm rest and my feet resting atop Jinki's lap. He started removing my socks and started pulling on my toes to tickle it that I was forced to squirm around, trying to escape the torture. After a few minutes of being tickled to no end, he finally stopped, leaving me a giggling mess.

Kim Jonghyun-ssi, when was the last time we shared a carefree moment like this?

"So, have you prepared yourself for tomorrow evening?" Jinki asked, finishing his hot drink and placing the empty cup on the center table.

I frowned when I was reminded once again about the Jinki's music video shooting. Why can't SM Entertainment just hold the meeting in our agency instead? I sighed as I stared up at the ceiling, letting random thoughts pass through my head.

"It's not likely that you'll bump into him, Kitty. SM's conference rooms are designated at the far end of the building. And besides, he's still your boyfriend until you break up with him. You can't deny him the right to see you."

I bit my lip as his words slowly sink in. I thought that I have somehow moved on, that I have already gotten over the heartache. But here I am again, hiding like a coward. The night I called Jinki was the night I started running away from my problems... from you. I had sought refuge in his arms and I'm glad that I did.

When I finally moved out of our your flat, I still didn't think that an official break-up was needed. You already have her, what's left for me to say? Nothing.

But just like what Jinki said, I need to end it properly with you for me to move on.

"I... need to end things with him. Will you help me, Rabbit?" After a long pause, I finally found my voice again.

"Isn't that why I'm here?" Jinki assured, still playing with my toes.

"Hey, Rabbit, let me sleep here tonight."

"You sleep here almost every single night, Kitty. I don't get why you even bother asking for my permission."

Oh, right. I also don't get why I haven't cancelled my lease yet since I practically live here. Heck, I even know his door code. I sat up, pulling my feet away from Jinki's lap and using them to stand up.

"I need a shower. Rabbit, I'm borrowing your clothes." I informed him while I walked towards direction of the bathroom. I don't know why I even bother asking when I know he'll agree to it anyway.

I live next door yet I feel safer with him.
I can just gather my clothes yet I feel more comfortable wearing his oversized tee.

He makes everything better...

But why do I still think about you?

Kim Jonghyun, you idiot...

 

 

 

 

 

"How do you turn this thing on?" A serious - well, as serious as he can get - Jinki questioned, his full attention set on the video camera I handed to him.

I ignored him and continued drying my hair with a white towel, sitting down comfortably on Jinki's bed. I watched as he fiddled with the gadget's buttons, his brows creasing by the second. I sighed in defeat and put the towel down on my lap as I gestured for him to take his place across me on the bed.

"What am I gonna do with you, Lee Jinki? Seriously. Aish!" I murmured under my breath but loud enough for him to hear.

I snatched the thing away from his unskillful hands and pressed the red button. Voila! The video camera rose to life.

"H-how did you- "
The caveman, popularly known as Onew, stuttered while I handed him back the oh-so-magical device.

"Just press the record button so that we can get this over with."

"Where? Is is this one- no- OH! I got it! Oooh, Kitty, I'm zooming in on your nose~"

I rolled my eyes and positioned myself properly on an angle that can be captured by the camera. Jinki must have sensed my nervousness because he also straightened up and steadily focused the lens on me.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this and I'd be lying if I say I'm not trembling, because I am. But if I don't do this now, then I won't be able to act in Jinki's MV properly.

As if the sky was grieving with me, heavy rain started to pour down.

The thought of seeing you again scares me
The thought of seeing you with her still rips my heart in two.

I have to do this. I need to.

So, will you, Kim Jonghyun, listen to what my heart has to say for the very last time?

 

 

 

 


 

[ Jonghyun ]

 

"Hey, Jjong. It's me, Key. I, uh, just thought you wouldn't recognize me since I recently dyed my hair blonde. Well, anyway. I, uhm... You're probably wondering what this is all about, right? Okay, here it goes.

I'm sorry for disappearing on you like that and... for lying. It wasn't on purpose, I swear! I... kind of... wanted you to choose me instead of... Jessica-noona. I guess I was being selfish again, wanting you all to myself.

I think it's safe to say that I was jealous. Jessica-noona is so beautiful and nice. You know, now that I think about it, you actually look good... together... She's everything a guy, like you, could ask for.

With her, you wouldn't have to hide from the media.
With her, you can be normal.
With her, your career's safe.
You can marry in a church, have three kids, and... grow old together.

I shouldn't have thought that what we had would last. I mean, it felt right... It felt perfect. Just like our first kiss.
Turns out I was mistaken.

But I don't regret ever being with you. Not at all. Being with you was, and still is... the best thing that has happened to me. Taking a step out of your life was the biggest challenge and heartache I had to take. The pain was unbearable but thankfully, I managed to pull through.

For you.

B-Because... I l-love you...

And because I love y-you... I am... I-I am b-b... breaking up with you.
I want you to be happy... w-with her... so I'm letting you g-go...

But I'm hoping we can still be good friends-

Ahh!"

 

"You okay, Kitty? Let's stop this, you can't take the sound of thunder. Com-"

 

"N-No! I... I'll finish this...

I just... need... to s-say one last thing to h-him...

 

Kim Jonghyun...
I miss you and I love y-

Ahh! R-Rabbit, they're coming!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:
Thank you to all who subscribed. :)
I'll be continuing with Jonghyun's POV on my next update.

Edit:
For those who doesn't know who Song Seunghyun is (which I highly doubt):