Leaving.

Waking up without you.

[ Key ]

 

The loud beating of the drums echoed across the soundproof walls of the room with the collaboration the screeching sounds from the black amplifiers, produced mainly by the guitars for attention yet perfectly synchronizing to create a harmony that'll probably give anyone an eargasm. I watched from a corner, leaning my back against the doorframe with one hand gripping the strap of the gym bag that hung on my shoulder while I held a plastic bag with the other.

The room was already filed with so much passion for music but only to be intensified more by the explosive singing of the vocalist.

I found myself smiling from time to time at the short but significant rap parts of each of the songs being played live. It wasn't exactly brought by the song - though I have to admit, the lyrics and melody combined were beyond amazing - but by a flower boy who's currently busy stressing his fingers along the string instrument slung around his skinny physique.

It recently became a wonder to me how this guy can transform from being plain awkward to extremely cool once he and his bandmates create music. It's like they're instantly warped in another dimension, into their own little island.

I can tell that the song was about to end soon after hearing the auburn-haired vocalist hit the high adlibs in time with the blonde lead's wailing red guitar. The eye-smiling drummer beat rapidly on his instrument signaling the of the song and leading the entire jam to an astounding end.

I wanted so bad to clap loudly for the wonderful performance they displayed, but my hands were full. Literally. Instead, I just smiled widely and patiently waited for them to acknowledge my presence. After they have composed themselves, Hongki-hyung was about to grab a bottle of water when our eyes suddenly met. He gasped in surprise, mouth forming an 'o', and quickly took long strides to pull me in for a bone-crushing hug.

"Key-ah!"  He excitedly roared to the top of his lungs.

The other band members who were busy placing their instruments down immediately stopped their movements and snapped their attention towards their hyperactive vocalist.

"Key!" Three different voices shrieked in excitement, following the steps of Hongki-hyung and diving in for a group hug.

But one remained on his post, unmoving yet smiling.

"Hyungs, Minhwan..."  He muttered, taking a step closer.  "ALL OF YOU ARE CRUSHING KIBUM!"

I chuckled as the four of them detached themselves right away at the command of the younger. The dimpled young lad took a few more steps to close the distance between him and I, the others making a way for  him similar with the parting of the red sea. I couldn't hide my smile anymore and I'm glad he returned it with as much enthusiasm. It's funny how just the exchange of the exposure of our dimples can bring back so much warmth in me.

He threw himself at me, making me step back a little to keep my balance as he locked his arms around my shoulders.

"I missed you!"  He blurted out while nuzzling his face in my neck.

"I missed you, too, Seunghyunnie."  I replied with sincerity.

"What took you so long? It's not like you live very far. Tch."  Seunghyun interrogated, breaking away from the embrace and making sure I notice the pout on his lips.

I held the plastic bag up and grinned.  "All of you've been working your asses off, so I thought I'd buy them dinner."

"Them?"  Senghyun questioned, a look of disbelief painted clearly in his face.

"Yes, them."  I playfully teased and handed the food over to Hongki-hyung who, by the way, chanted more than a thousand thank you's while his lips, ready to devour the meal. The others joined in, shoving the vocalist away from the precious thing that can probably save them from hunger.

"I can't believe this... You're impossible... How could- You're not-"

I observed the guitarist as he fixed his eyes on his band members who just turned into hungry beasts at the sight of food. He had his jaw almost dropping on the floor but kept on rambling nonetheless how 'they get to eat something Kibum brought' and how he 'should be the one enjoying a treat from Kibum' because we 'used to be together'.

I waited for it to happen, biting my lower lip to keep myself from bursting into heaps of laughter. A minute has passed and it's only a matter of time before the 4D rapper unleashed his secret weapon. Well, it can't really be called a secret since everyone knows about it.

He slowly turned his head in my direction, eyes glaring and brows creased. I started the count down in my head.

Three.
Two.
One.

"KIMBAAAAAAP!!"

And there it is.

The prince of whining. Because technically, Hongki-hyung does it better than anybody.

I finally let out the laugh I've been holding.  "Arasso, arasso! You know I'm only messing with you, right?"

He crossed his arms against his chest and muffled a low 'hmph', with a matching pout of course. I opened my gym bag and pulled out a lunch box wrapped nicely in a pink cloth. He dramatically gasped as soon as he saw the rectangular box in my hand.

"I knew it! You always save the best for last."  He quickly snatched the food container from me and held onto it for dear life.  "Thank you, Jagiya~"

He dragged me to join the others who seemed to be having fun with the mini-picnic they have created for themselves on the floor. We sat in a circle, with Seunghyun and Jonghyun-hyung trapping me in between.

For a moment there, I was genuinely happy. Maybe not as happy as when I'm with you, but beggars can't be choosers, right?"

Because at the moment, I am one. A beggar.

Not for food.
Not for money.
Not for clothes.
Not for any material things.
But for you.

I'm begging for more of you.
Because right now, as I sit here and listen to these friends' bickering, all I have is the memory of you with her.

"Oh! By the way, Jonghun-hyung, can Kibum stay at our dorm for tonight?"  The boy beside me excitedly asked their leader for permission.

More than half of it was true though. I am staying out tonight, but seeking refuge behind FT Island's dorm was not my initial plan. I intervened as soon as Jonghun-hyung spared a glance at me.

"I- I'll just call Taemin if it's a bother to you..."  I said, looking down on my lap. Even though I've known them back in high school, I really didn't want to ever be a bother to them. They've seen me at my best, but there's just no way I can let them see me at my worst.

"Are you kidding me right now, Key? You know our door is always open for you!"  The lead guitarist declared with a grin, slinging his arm around my shoulder. His words earned squeals from the other three who seemed to like the idea of having me over way too much than necessary.

"Thanks, Hyung."  I mumbled and smiled to show my gratitude.

"No need, Key. Besides, I doubt you'll be able to reach little Taemin tonight. My alien of a brother took him out on some romantic date or something."  He scrunched up his nose at the word date.

I felt a sudden pang in my heart, the one that I have been trying to run away from in the first place, the reason why I came here. Taemin - my not-so-innocent son, my prettier-than-a-woman co-model - went out happily on a romantic dinner with Seoul's youngest star athlete. It's been over two years since the two of them fell madly in love with each other, and yet they still crave for the other's love.

Just like how I still long for you.

I'm still hungry.
Starving of your attention, your love.

"Key, do you have any schedule tomorrow?"  Jaejin abruptly asked while they pack their things before we head back to their dorm. I shook my head in response and put on a questioning look as if to ask 'why'.

"OH! I almost forgot!"  Minhwan clasped his hands and focused his attention at me.  "I saw your new advertisement! OHMYGODYOULOOKTOTALLYAMA- umphhh!"  His spazzing over my newly released advertisement was silenced with Hongki-hyung's hand.

"As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted,"  Jaejin urged on.  "since it's your free day tomorrow, why d0n't you- "

"Come watch our performance tomorrow at Inkigayo!"  The ever so lively Lee Hongki butted in.

I'd love to see them play on stage again. Not that I don't see them on TV, but it's been a while since I get to see the results of their hardwork during their trainee days.

But then I remembered you.

You were to perform with her tomorrow at Inkigayo, too.

A part of me wanted to see you, but another part begged to differ. I wanted to see you, to see you doing the one thing you really love. But because you're going to stand on the same stage as  her, I... I'm not sure anymore.

"O- Okay."  My lips spoke without me knowing. I guess the greater part of me that wanted so badly to see you won yet again.

"He can't."

I felt a hand on top mine, sqeezing tightly. I looked up and turned my head to my right to see Seunghyun staring intently at me with the most serious eyes.

He knows.

The blonde on my left, Jonghun-hyung, sighed deeply.  "Jonghyun issues?"

I nodded stiffly, looking anywhere but the five pairs of eyes that seem to bore a hole in my face.

"He'll be performing at Inkigayo, too? Suh-weet! All the more for you to show up, Key-ah."  Jonghun-hyung flashed an evil smirk and winked. He placed a hand on my back and turned his grin to a soft smile.  "You know us, Key. We won't question you."

"FT Island got your back, Key!"  Hongki-hyung smiled with his teeth showing and held a 'V' pose.

This.
This is why I treasure my friends.
Without them, I am and will be nothing.
There's no need for words, no need for heartbreaking stories.
With just one look, they're able to tell.

After stuffing their things inside the van, their manager drove us back to their place. The drive was silent except for the heavy snoring of the members who dozed off for a quick nap. We arrived at their dorm within fifteen minutes and headed straight inside the building, too scared of the cold weather to even stay outside.

I planned on sleeping on the couch but Seunghyun threw a fit saying 'a guest should be treated with utmost important' or something along those lines. Jonghyun-hyung ordered Minhwan to sleep in his room instead just to put a stop to their rhythm guitarist's tantrums.

The lights were switched off and nothing but the rays of the sun reflected by the full moon illuminated on the room. I occupied Minhwan's bed, pulling the blanket up to cover half of my face and letting my mind wander.

You didn't even call.
You didn't even ask where I was staying.
Or did you even come home?

Were you spending your time with her again?
Were you holding her hands again?
Were you kissing her soft lips again?
Were you cuddling with her again?

"Kibum."
My train of thoughts vanished when Seunghyun spoke from the other bed. I hummed in response, just to let him know I'm listening.

"What happened to us?"

I bit my lip, trying to recall the time when he had his arms wide open and without hesitation, I'd claim the invitation. Everything was at peace back then with Seunghyunnie.

"We decided it's best to have each other as a best friend instead of a lover."  I quietly answered.

I heard him scoff, but agreed anyway.  "Well said, Kitty."

I let the cold night eat the awkward silence away. Sleep was slowly taking over me when Seunghyun muttered his last words for the night.

"Just so you know, I never stopped loving you. Seeing how happy you are with that godzilla, I just had to let go. When tomorrow you feel like running away, tell me. I'll run away with you, Best Friend."  He almost whispered.  "Goodnight, Jagiya."

He's absolutely right.
I was happy with you.
I was happily in love with you.

Right before she came in.

Tomorrow, I'll see you.
I'll see your round puppy eyes, your slightly-bigger-than-average nostrils, your full plump lips...
I'll see my boyfriend again.

...with her.

 

 

 

"Key-ah! You HAVE to watch our performance with the Primadonnas, okay? Here,"  Hongki-hyung kept insisting and eventually pulling something out from the back of the van.  "Hold this up and cheer us on! Got it?"

"Y-Ya! This is too embarrassing!"  The other members just laughed out loud when this red headed freak handed me a fan sign with 'TAKE MY OVARIES, LEE HONGKI!' written in over-the-top large neon letters.

We made our way through the back door to avoid the sea of Primadonnas in front of the music station. Our footsteps were quickly paced since the stubborn boys of FT Island woke up half an hour late and ended up rushing everywhere. There aren't many idols lurking around the hallway anymore, they're most likely sitting in front of the mirror getting their hair and make-up done while these boys goof around with still nothing to cover the bags under their eyes.

We were busy chuckling at Hongki-hyung's random comments about her fangirls when an angelic voice reached my hearing sense. We all looked ahead of us and saw your back - the back I used to cuddle warmly at night - and a girl standing in front of you. It's her.

She's gorgeous.
Beautiful than I'll ever be.
And she's a she.

My breath got caught up in my throat. Hearing you with her and actually seeing you with her are two different things that bring two different painful emotions.

As if on cue, you noticed our presence. FT Island's goofy smiles turned into their utmost seriousness, staring down at you and her.

I nudged Seunghyun who was standing beside me. I didn't want them to appear rude or something.

"Jonghyun-ssi! Hello~"  Of course, leave it to Hongki-hyung to break the dreadful silence.  "Oh! You're here, too, Jessica-ssi. Hi!"

The rest of the members bowed in greeting, including me. I had to keep in mind that no one, and I mean no one, other than FT Island (and Taemin and Minho) knows about us. You also bowed to greet us back together with her. It seems like you're busy rehearsing last-minute changes on your song with the song sheets on your hands.

"By the way, Key, this is Jessica."  Jonghun-hyung introduced her. I smiled and bowed.

"Nice to meet you, Jessica-ssi. I'm Kim Ki- "  I was cut off when she suddenlt squealed and grabbed both my hands with hers.

"KIM KIBUM, more known as KEY. Am I right? Oh. My. God! I can't believe I'm meeting you in person!"

Eh?
I gave her a confused look and so did the rest of the guys including you.

"Oh, sorry."  She released my hands but her smile never left her lips.  "Kim 'KEY' Kibum, twenty-one years old, Kim Jonghyun's best friend, and -"  I felt a stab in my heart as she mentions the words best and friend.

"The new face of ETUDE HOUSE!"

Oh. That figures.

"I fell in love with their BB cream when you became their endorser! Your skin looks so soft and smooth for a guy."  Her eyes were literally sparkling and I can't help but let out a chuckle.

She's nice.
Is that why you fell for her?

Our little meeting came to a halt when Jessica-ssi's manager commanded her to get back inside her waiting room. She waved goodbye and slightly yelled 'Just call me Sica-noona, Key! Let's shop together some other time!' and went inside the room.

I can't hate her.
She's too... lovable.

"Key."  You spoke up, locking eyes with me. I felt a sudden nervousness creep down my spine.  "What are you doing here?"

I'm here to watch my boyfriend perform with another girl.

"He's with us, Kim Jonghyun."  I was surprised to hear Seunghyun speaking informally towards Jonghyun, and not to mention in a harsh tone at that. I can feel his hand gripping mine.

"Jaejin-ah! Tell them to get inside this moment! We haven't even started on your hair!"  Their stylist-noona called from inside FT Isand's waiting room.

The four of them retreated to the room as soon as they heard the demand, except for Seunghyun who stayed still beside me. I glanced sideward to get a better look on his face only to see him having a staring competition with Jonghyun.

"Hyunnie, go inside. I just need to talk to Jonghyun-ssi for a moment."  I smiled and assured him that I'm not going anywhere. He sighed but complied nonetheless.

I looked at where you were standing and saw you tilt your head to the side, motioning for me to follow you.

I can never get used to this - you, hiding me from the world.
Sneaking away from the cold eyes of the public.

I didn't realize where we were until you abruptly stopped and I bumped my nose in your sturdy back.

I missed your scent.

You brought me to a secluded area... a side staircase?

You turned around to face me and pinched the bridge of your nose while squinting your eyes shut. Once you've cooled down, you exhaled loudly and stared me straight in the eyes.

"Sorry, Key. You know I never got along well with your ex."  He explained, his hands moving to hide inside his pockets. I just nodded and waited for you to continue.  "So, Etude House, huh? Why didn't you tell me you're already endorsing for a widely-known cosmetics brand?"

"You're never home anymore..."  I all but whispered, hoping you wouldn't hear.

But you did.

"I'm busy, Key. You should know that by now."  Your tone became harsh all of a sudden.

I stayed silent, letting my heart slowly break into pieces.
But I would never let you know.

"Listen, Key. I- I had to head back. I still have to put on some vest and accessories for the performance. I'll see you later at home, okay?"

You were about to turn around and walk away when I finally had the courage to speak up.

"J-Jonghyun-hyung..."  I stuttered, but fortunately, you turned back to look at me with question in your eyes.

"Did you... come home last night?"

You lowered your head and I could already tell the answer.
You... didn't.
Then there's no way for you to know that I wasn't at home last night either.
Isn't this ironic, Yeobo?

"Y-Yeobo..."  I started and I swear I can see your eyes grew wide.

"Key, someone might hear you!"  You panicked.

I chuckled bitterly, looking down on the floor.
But I had to hold it in for a little while longer.
I had to know one thing.

"Hey, Jjong,"  I my lips for they're becoming unbearably dry.  "I'll be leaving for a shoot tomorrow at Jeju. I won't be home for a couple of days. Can you have dinner with me tonight?"

I lied.
I just... I need to know.

"I can't, Key. We'll be recording the rest of the songs for my new album tonight."  You replied apologetically.

I still had to try.
There's still hope for me, right?

"Please, Jjong. Just this once...? Before I leave?"  I don't care if I sound desperate. I can't go on living like this anymore.

I reached out for your hand but you dodged me without hesitation.

"We can always have dinner once you get back from the shoot. Don't be such a child, Key. We both have other priorities to attend to."

I can feel my heart sink at the very bottom of my stomach.
Priorities? Is she your priority now?

"Please..."  I can feel the tears about to tickle down, but I held it in. I held it all in.

You took a step back and finally turned around.
I watched your cold back as you walk away from me,

from my love.

That lie was all I have left.
I thought I can have you even just for a night when I tell you I'm leaving.
But you were so sure that I'd come back eventually.
You automatically thought I'd come running back in your arms.

My knees gave up, causing me to fall on my behind on the staircase.
Tears. Can you see these tears that are shed only for you?
You can't.

Because you're blinded by your newly found love for her.

I clutched on my constricting chest, sobbing quietly to myself. Just like our anniversary night.

"Come back..."

I whispered, praying you'd hear me, hear my breaking heart.

My heart can only take so much, Jjong.
And right now, I think I just reached my limit.

With tear-streaked face, I fished my phone out of my pocket and scrolled down on my contacts until a certain name brushed across my thumb.

He did say to call him when I feel like the world's turning it's back on me.

And at the moment, my world just turned it's back on me.
You turned your back on me, Kim Jonghyun.

'Hello? Key?'  The voice on the other line picked up.

I held the phone to my ears tightly, pressing my eyes shut for a moment before answering.

"I... T-The world just b-betrayed me."

 

 

 

 


A/N:

I hope I didn't disappoint you with this chapter.

Again, I want to thank everyone who subscribed especially those who took time to comment:
chocolove123, jongkeyrocksmysocks, xxxSHINeeLuverxxx, TheAlmightyBling, cheonhyang, KittyCat, vampireme12, kpopluv7, KaylaTrancy, christina94.

I felt my heart melt with each comment. Seriously.
I wanted to convey my feelings to my readers and I'm glad you guys felt it in a way. :')

Please continue to give me support by leaving comments. They serve as my motivation to write more, I swear. :)
ILY! ♥

P.S.  I'm dedicating this chapter to vampireme12.

She's read through my first and second fic, and yet... here she is still, never tired to read my messy stories.
Thank you, Dear! *hugs tight*