Nostalgia.

Waking up without you.

 

 

A/N:
Re-posting this chapter because AFF crashed and deleted it together with some of the subscribers and comments. I'll just delete this post if ever the initial update I posted decides to pop back up (or maybe I'll delete that one since I included my long- author's note there). My apologies for disappearing for a month and still giving you this crappy update. I think most of us (I presume, or I can be wrong), JongKey shippers, lost their muses after the JongTae incident - and that includes me. LOL. Anyway, I'll be back with a better update after I recover.

Plus, can anybody tell me why the 'delete chapter' function is disabled?

Chapter dedicated to Hide & Seek's author (who is not updating her fic, by the way), babymiiinsangel.

 

P.S.:    I'm suddenly craving for a JongKey fic. Care to recommend some good ones? D: I'm weird and strange for liking the said genre, but hey, Kibum's weird, too!


 

 

 

“Should we inject anesthesia, sir?”

 

“No, let him be.”

 

He leisurely fluttered his eyes open after hearing voices around him. Almost instantly, a flash of bright light hit his irises, making him seal them again. It was blindingly bright and it gave him the conclusion that the light was directly situated a few feet above him. Little by little, he tried once more to open his chocolate brown orbs and adjust to the glow. His heartbeat pounded a trace faster when all he could insinuate was the luminosity. Everything else neighboring him was pitch-black. He narrowed his eyes, eager to see through anything but to no gain. He tried to move his limbs but they seemed to be strapped firmly on the leather bed (or at least that was what he felt against his exposed back) he was lying on.

 

His voice; His voice was contained, too.

 

He could not move, he could not speak, and all he could see was the blinding light emanated by the bulb above him.

 

In panic, he resisted with his limbs, attempting to flee. His distressed drones filled the seemingly overpowering dimness until something on his right reflected the light. He turned his head in toward the said direction and if it was possible, he was certain his eyeballs nearly popped out of his skull after seeing an outsized, razor-sharp butcher knife held by a surgeon-masked man. The tall mortal (taller than Minho, he deduced) steadily closed their proximity, pushing the square spectacles up the bridge of his nose.

 

Kim Jonghyun was a dead man.

 

He had validated that thought after seeing the man’s face up close. Dark hair tidily combed to the side, slim eyes that were slanted up, square father glasses – , Jonghyun cursed inwardly.

 

Mr. Kim was his Hades and he materialized before him to throw him into inferno.

 

Thinking back to the things he had done and considering what could have made Kibum’s father infuriated enough to cause him mischief, he came up with nothing. All he ever did was to be in love with Kibum, only he had caused him emotional hurt. Then it clicked. He made Kibum cry, but it was just not possible that Mr. Kim would gain knowledge of it. He shook his head vigorously; frantically sending telepathic messages to Mr. Kim that practically (and shamelessly) were begging to spare him. He was too young to die (and not to mention good-looking, but of course, he would never say that out loud at a very critical situation like this.)

 

“I’m not going to murder you, Jonghyun, though I have to admit that’s a brilliant idea, too.” Even if the words were to some extent muffled because of the mask, Jonghyun heard them unmistakably.

 

Should he be alleviated that his theories were mistaken?

 

As if Mr. Kim heard his thoughts, a devilish grin appeared on his face. The verdict placed a surgical-gloved hand atop Jonghyun’s abdomen and slowly trailed southward. Jonghyun gulped, beads of sweat coming out of his pores. He was positive that by now, his face was as pale as snow. And then he let out a choked grunt with all his inhalation leaving him. With Mr. Kim’s hand grabbing his crotch, only one thing ran through his mind: I’m going to be . He was too young to be molested to by his boyfriend’s father. He wanted the son, not the parent.

 

How would he explain everything to Kibum? How would he enlighten him that his supposed-to-be father-in-law took advantage of him? How was he ever going to carry the heavy burden of being a victim?

 

“I wouldn’t have to do this if only you kept this filthy thing in your pants, boy. Then my Kibum’s innocence wouldn’t be tainted.”

 

He was not going to be . He swallowed the lump that has formed in his throat, the unexpected turn of events dawning on him. Of course, Mr. Kim never had the intention to touch him for pleasure. How stupid could he be? Mr. Kim has his wife for that. If anything, Kibum’s father was greatly against him being his son’s aficionado. What Mr. Kim wanted was to cut his little friend down there. Mr. Kim desired to eradicate his ability to procreate (not that Kibum would get pregnant in the first place.)

 

“Touch my son again and your balls come next.”

 

And devoid of the slightest hint of hesitation, the elder positioned the butcher knife’s sharp edge close to the base of Jonghyun’s manhood. This isn’t really happening; this is nothing but a nightmare, somebody wake me up, he thought as he released muffled cries desperate for salvation. He didn’t think that too much skinship would lead to something like this. If he could, he’d swear to all gods and mythical creatures never to touch Kibum again. But then, that would imply digging his own grave. He could give up exercising and singing, just not the feel of Kibum’s smooth skin against his fingertips.

 

Fine, take it! But don’t expect me to stop touching my baby, was his final resolution.

 

He tightly shut his eyes and held in a deep breath, waiting for the verdict to disconnect what every man would claim as their pride and honor (at least for him.) Fully prepared of what was to come next, his last thoughts were:

R.I.P, my rusty trusty friend, you will be missed…

 

 

 

 

 

[ Jonghyun ]

 

I shot up straight – sweating and wheezing for air. My shirt was sticking onto my body like adhesive, my fringe doing the same on my forehead. Reluctantly, my hand reached beneath the covers and voyaged down to check if ‘it’ was still there. I heaved a sigh of relief when I confirmed the protruding chunk under the material of my jeans.

 

A ing dream – no, scratch that, a haunting nightmare. As if seeing your father in my reverie wasn’t horrific enough, he figured slicing my off was such a brilliant scheme.

 

I scrutinized the surroundings and found out I was still in the hospital room – only I was the one lying on the bed. The area was empty of people and almost looked like it was all set for the next rooming patient. Your belongings disappeared, too. The room held nothing except for my existence and – to my aid – you, who had your side facing me. Your small frame was residing in the long, leather couch with your white laptop sitting atop your now jean-covered thighs. Why you were so absorbed with whatever it was you were doing, I have yet to know.

 

Before I could stop myself, a smile was already taking place my face. Seeing you like this was endearing; always have been. What made my smile wider was the cute bun of hair on top of your hair, a yellow ribbon holding the strands of blonde locks together. I bit my lip to prevent myself from squealing (and losing my most-of-the-time manly image) at the scene facing me.

 

How much of an idiot was I to even think that you were replaceable? This, right here, was adequate proof that I should be breathing for you.

 

Promptly, I stripped the covers off my torso and pushed myself from the bed, subtly walking over to your side. You must have sensed my company because you turned your head to me, those beautiful catlike orbs gazing up at me. With a hand, you unplugged one of your ear buds and exhibited that irresistible dimple on your left cheek.

 

Stunning.

 

“You finally woke up,” your sweet voice got me.

I smiled back as you shifted on the couch to make space for me. I slipped myself behind you and you leaned your body intuitively against my chest. My tanned arms enclosed themselves around your shoulders and I gave off a breath of gratification. You were so warm that I ended up tightening my hold and your intoxicating scent wasn’t helping the least bit that it resulted to my lips latching themselves on the smooth skin of your neck.

 

“Mmh,” I grinned against your skin when I heard that almost inaudible moan escape your mouth. “If you don’t stop that, you’ll end up out cold on the floor again, Jjong.”

 

My eyes shot wide open and I instantly pulled away from your enticing skin. Oh, right, I thought. Everything was coming back to me now. You looked so adorable that all lucid thoughts left my mind the second I laid eyes on you. But now that you have mentioned it, Mr. Kim absolutely (and factually) caused me mental breakdown strong enough that I fainted.

 

It was just a childlike (well, sort of) kiss, for Barney’s sake! I wasn’t even shoving my tongue down your throat and my hands were being polite the whole time. Tch. If I knew, Mr. Kim also did stuff like those when he was younger; hence, Kim Kibum was created. We were already young adults, which moreover meant that hormonal attacks were inevitable.

 

I sighed, the mental anxiety causing me to lean back on the arm rest. No matter how many times I thought about it, it seemed like I still had to take in consideration that old man’s view. If I was your father, I would most likely do the same thing – baby my baby until his wedding day.

 

“Baby, what are you doing?” I intriguingly asked when I became aware that you were still pretty much fixated with that laptop of yours.

 

“Watching,” I rolled my eyes. Of course, you were one to retort curtly when focused on something.

 

“Watching what?” I questioned as I leaned forward and rested my chin on your shoulder, trying to steal a look of whatever was on the screen.

 

“Rabbit,” the tone you used when you referred to your epithet for Onew made me frown but decided you and I would be better off without petty suspicions such as mine. “They released the music video some minutes ago. Here, take a look!”

 

I gave up and gave in. That dimpled made me wave the white flag. As if my body was acting on its own, my lips found their way on your cheek and, boy, was I very much pleased to see the skin covering your cheekbones tinted with a light shade of pink. Being the good mutt (Seunghyun must have really rubbed off on me) that I was, I watched keenly at the screen while you put the other piece of ear bud in my ear.

It didn’t surprise me that Onew’s vocals were as smooth as always, only this time, his singing was almost close to perfection. He might have a vocal range an octave or two lower than mine, but the clarity was astonishing. It might be appalling for me to admit, but my voice has cracked way more times than his. He has full control over his voice, above all when he transitioned into a falsetto. Undoubtedly, he’d sweep off the charts with this comeback, just like he always did.

 

I would have taken pleasure in the whole video if it wasn’t for the actuality that Jessica was in it, playing the role of my boyfriend’s girlfriend. Even to myself, I sounded similar to a hypocrite. The remorse was still there – of me cheating. However, just this once, I would shamelessly accept your forgiveness.

 

As always, you looked amazing – way more dazzling than anybody. You looked faultless, and you were mine.

 

The video ended and you closed the tab while asking, “How was it? Jinki did great, didn’t he?”

 

“Yeah, but you did better,” I said quietly, pulling your slender frame against mine before placing a kiss on your cheek. “So, mind telling me what happened after your father scared the life out of me?”

 

That sugary giggle of yours made me beam widely that without thinking, I nudged your side to hear more. It was such a fulfillment to watch you squirm, snort, and whine all at the same time. Seeing you this lively and healthy again really made me glad. At times, your lavender dress shirt would go up to reveal a patch of creamy skin and I would have no choice but to look away. As much as I wanted to consume every inch of you, I couldn't. Not yet, at least. I could still sense those little flinches you did whenever I touch you, but I was thankful to see them gradually fading. Now was not the right occasion to think selfish thoughts.

 

"I told them you'd come with me to Daegu," you breathlessly stated after my wiggly fingers stopped assaulting you. "Appa wasn't delighted, though, but he loves me too much to tell you off."

 

"He probably thinks I'm such a wimp for fainting," I grumbled under my breath which you caught, much to my dismay.

 

"Nope, I was the one who thought that," you stuck your tongue out at me and I jokingly pretended to bite it off. "Let's go~ I promised them we'd catch up and arrive there in time for dinner."

 

"B-but, baby, I need to get some clothes first! I can't stay there for two weeks and have nothing else to wear!" I whined and pushed my bottom lip out in a pout while you were already out of the couch, tugging on my arm.

 

"I know. That's why we need to hurry! Your manager's waiting for us outside," you persuaded, still pulling on my arm while hugging your laptop close to you with your free hand.

 

"Okay, okay! It's not you who'll have his balls sliced if we don't comply, you know," I mouthed as I got up to my feet and let you drag me to wherever (most expectedly to the parking lot.)

 

"If you're so scared of Appa, then should we bring Sodam-noona with us?"

 

A very cunning suggestion, Kibum, but...

 

"No. No way in hell! She's just going to be an added er," my voice trailed off to a whisper as it got to the end.

 

Kim Sodam, my older sister, adored you too much to let you be for a single minute. Over my dead body would she spoil my time with you! She should just stay wherever she was at the moment and bother us some other time.

 

When we got to the parking lot, my manager was already waiting for us and you all but hauled me inside the vehicle as if you owned it. It got me wondering whether or not you were really unwell before. Oh, the energy of the young.

 

However, I shouldn't have said anything yet. Not even fifteen minutes have gone by and you were already snoozing on my shoulder. It was only natural that I brushed the stray bangs off your closed eyelids. Hmm, I believe it's about time you get a haircut, I thought as I examined the length of your soft, blonde hair.

 

I breathed out my contentment. Everything still felt surreal - that you were mine again - but I loved it nonetheless. You deserved somebody way better than me, and yet you were still here, next to me: breathing, heart thumping, forgiving, and loving. I’d wait an eternity just to hear you say those three words again.

 

"Baby, we're here," I spoke gently, caressing your cheeks in attempt to wake you up. "Do you want me to carry you? I'll just grab some clothes while you sleep here then I’ll just carry you to my car, okay?"

 

"Hmm," you mewled, still half asleep. You have no idea how much resolve I had to pull just to restrain myself from squishing you into a bear hug.

 

I was about to get off the van when your arms just clung tightly around my neck, your nose rubbing on my chest. My God, Kim Kibum, the things you unintentionally do to me!

 

"Aigoo~ I guess I have no choice then," I said mostly to myself as I placed an arm under the back of your knees and another on your back.

 

My manager must have been monitoring us on the sidelines because he abruptly appeared to hold the door open as I got out with you in my arms.

 

"Thanks, hyung. I guess I'll see you in two weeks?"

 

"You better! Don't you know how difficult it is to call off your entire schedule for two weeks? Aish! You little- never mind. Just go," he ruffled his own hair (in aggravation, I supposed) and sighed loudly.

 

He helped me with opening my (used-to-be ours) flat before he finally took his leave. He ought to be happy he got this rare opportunity to relax for two whole weeks.

 

I entered the bedroom and was thrilled that the door was left slightly ajar so that I could pass easily. When the time came for me to set you down on the bed, your hold on me constricted. But I wasn't worried, because this frequently happened when we were still living under the same roof.

 

Nevertheless, I wished that cold, empty spot on my bed would be filled with your warmth again. Soon.

 

I laid myself down next to you, a hand rubbing calming circles on your back. I hummed softly - the one you claimed as your own lullaby - while staring at your unblemished face. Those cherry heart-shaped lips of yours were slightly parted and when I was sure you were back to dreamland, I planted a light kiss on those lips.

 

Realizing what time it was, I cautiously got up and walked over to my closet, pulling out the duffel bag at the bottom rack and stuffing it with necessities. Sometimes, or most of the time really, I would spare a glance at the unfilled side of the dresser, wishing that one day, I would find your bright clothes there. I sighed, shaking the thoughts off so that I could be appreciative for what I have right now. Having you back home would be too ambitious.

 

Truth be told, my wardrobe has decreased. All those garments I had worn whenever I would meet up with her, I threw them all away. I didn't feel comfortable wearing them any longer; they made me feel... stained. Immature as I was, it was for the better.

 

When I was done packing my clothes (and making sure that the clothes I stuffed in was to your taste), I silently walked out of the room and into the lavatory. There it was; my lonely toothbrush. I glared at it, wanting to scold it for letting its couple toothbrush go. I realized I probably looked like a mental patient so I just grabbed it and shoved it in my bag. At least I wouldn't have to use the inflexible toothbrush I got from the hospital - that thing almost made my gums bleed. Lastly, I opened the cupboard to get a hold of my BB cream (which our company strictly told us to apply whenever we go out in public) only to place it back again, the thought of your vanity table in your home at Daegu would be more than enough.

 

I got out of the toilet and went back to the bedroom, my body instantly in a state of alarm when I saw that you weren't in bed.

 

"Key...? Baby?"

 

My eyes scanned the dimly-lit room despite the fact that my heart was hammering hard against the walls of my chest. That fear of losing you came back. I all but ran to the living room, and God, did my knees go weak when I saw you standing in the middle of the connected kitchen. I dropped my bag and took baby steps closer to you.

 

"Baby...?"

 

My breath hitched the minute you turned around. Have you ever seen that part of a movie wherein the world just stops moving and the lone thing you can see is the love of your life? No, that didn't happen to me. Those special effects were done by some geek. I experienced something better - my heart swelled.

 

You faced me wearing that pink apron you used to put on so often before you packed up and left. That apron was the only object that screamed your existence the day I realized you were no longer home. You had no idea how time and again I would hug that apron close to me every solitary night.

 

"Jjong, look! I forgot I left this here. I missed wearing it," Your light giggle filled the room as you twirled around to give me a better look of you wearing that old apron; that old present which you held dear like it was your life.

 

Seeing you wearing an old item and standing there in the middle of the kitchen that you once loved so much, resulted in my arms locking around you securely. If only I could, I wouldn’t have to keep myself from whispering the words ‘I want you back home’.

 

"...J-Jjongie? You okay?" You asked, trying to pull away faintly but I wouldn't let you.

 

"Hmm, I'm okay. Just... let's stay like this for a while," I whispered and pulled you closer so that not even a wisp of wind could pass through our bodies.

 

I nuzzled my face at the crook of your neck and let myself be drunk with your scent. As if you understood clearly, I felt your arms bind around my waist, fingers tangling with the fabric of my shirt. Mr. Kim could wait; I just needed to borrow his lovely son for a few more minutes.

 

I slightly put a distance, arms still refusing to let you go. I smiled when I saw that shade of pink painted on your cheeks. I allowed one of my hands to reach up to caress your cheekbone, but my pupils were intently fixed on the one thing that I have always wanted to ravish. The gap was gradually decreasing in contrast with the rapid banging inside my chest.

 

Hey, pumping muscle, calm down, will you?

 

But it wouldn't listen. The next moment, there was nothing but firecrackers as my lips met yours in an entirely different level than when I kissed you out of jealousy (because of Woohyun.) I didn't care anymore when my thoughts started spitting out cliché metaphors of every sentiment I was feeling. Who cares, I'm having my moment with the most sought-after model and I love how I have the right to ing claim him my property.

 

It was an innocent yet passion-filled kiss, and I never wanted it to end. I was already yearning for you this much and my tongue was still safely tucked in my mouth, wanting more. But I wouldn't do anything stupid; I wouldn't rush you into doing things because I promised myself that.

 

As we both parted, I didn't realize how mad I was blushing until you brought your hands up and poked either side of my cheeks with your finger. There it was again, that lighthearted giggle that never failed to make me want to draw you into a bone-crushing hug.

 

"Hihi, you're blushing," your hands squished my face and I just let you. I let you because you were just too adorable for your own good.

 

I flashed you a toothy smile (plainly because I couldn't help it) and playfully rubbed my nose against yours. You scrunched your nose up creating small creases and God, I felt like melting in a puddle of goo right there and then.

 

"I see you missed your apron," I taunted while tugging lightly on the knot at the rear of your apron.

 

"Maybe, maybe not," you tried to tease by putting on a smirk, but those dimples just made you look adorable more than ever.

 

When you stuck your tongue out like a child, I felt what Dr. Bruce Banner must have felt when he didn't want to be a monster and instead contain the other guy, the Hulk, within him. I almost lost it and I had to hide it by pretending to bite that pink muscle (for the second-freaking-time that day.)

 

"Well, the apron missed you... The couch missed you, the stove missed you - a lot, the bathroom missed you, our bed missed you... I missed you."

 

There was stillness again but I could tell our hearts were speaking. My lips curled up as you did the same and I leaned in to press my lips against yours once more before completely pulling away.

 

"C'mon, let's bring that apron to Daegu. I really don't want to get my balls cut off by your Appa," I chuckled as I held your hand, weaving our fingers together and grabbing my bag with my free hand. I led us to the door with a huge smile on my face.

 

We reached the basement parking and I led you to my car, pressing the remote lock and opening the door of the passenger's seat for you. I walked over to the other side, slid in the driver's seat, and settled my bag on the back seat.

 

"Try to rest more, Baby. It's going to be a long ride," I said as I leaned to your side to carefully incline your seat and strap the safety belt for you. I planted my lips on your forehead as you nodded and relaxed.

 

Before I started the engine, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and scrolled down on my contacts to look for that name that when mentioned, the first thing that would come to mind would be fried chicken. My thumb slid the call icon and I pressed the device to my ear, waiting for the other line to pick up. I could sense your cat-like orbs curiously gazing at me so I gazed back, grabbing hold of your hand and drawing circles at the back of your palm.

 

“Yoboseyo? Onew's manager speaking.”

 

"Hyung? Why are you answering Onew-hyung's calls?" I questioned when I didn't hear my clumsy-yet-reliable friend's voice but instead his manager's.

 

“Oh, Jonghyun-ah. I locked him up in the practice room with Jaewon. He's having his comeback next week but he's feeling so unmotivated," I can hear the manager's voice whining on the other end which made me chuckle. Sure enough, having one of SM's top choreographers to polish your dance moves was pure punishment.

 

When Onew was feeling down, there was only one solution - and there was no doubt everybody knew what it was.

 

"Feed him chicken, Hyung. Don't send him on a diet!" I scolded playfully and looked at your direction, those dimples revealing themselves again.

 

“Alright, alright! Sheesh. Don't blame me if he gets all flabby. By the way, what made you call? You need something from that klutz?”

 

"Yeah, I kind of do. Hyung, you think you can give him some slack?" I tried to convince him but I was gambling at an almost zero percent triumph rate.

 

“Sorry, kiddo, this is actually Jaewon's orders. He wants Onew to be in tip-top shape on the day of his performance. Would you like to leave him a message instead?” Ah, just as I thought. Onew really got it bad this time.

 

"Yes please. Can you tell him I said thank you and that we should have a drink soon?"

 

“I don't know about the last part, you know how crazy he gets when he’s drunk. But sure, I'll send him your gratitude. What for, though?”

 

I remained hushed for a while when you placed a kiss on my cheek, a simple motion that told me you were proud of what I did. I bit my lip, thinking I would have thanked Onew nonetheless even without you telling me I did the right thing. He was - and still is - my closest friend; my brother in music.

 

"Just because,"

 

Just because he took care of you with so much love, mending the hurt I have caused you and keeping the scar at the least.

 

Just because he decided to be the bigger person and step out of the limelight.

 

Just because his pride wasn't hurt; because he is Onew.