But you promised.

Waking up without you.

[ Key ]

 

I felt something soft and warm press against my forehead, my nose, and finally my lips. I slowly fluttered my eyes open, fighting the urge to yawn but failing miserably. A low chuckle vibrated from what I originally thought was a pillow, followed by the echoing of an all-too familiar voice. I'd know who that voice belongs to anytime, anywhere.

"Good Morning, Beautiful."

My heart skipped a beat.
The moment my still-sleepy eyes cleared, memories of last night flashed before me, the feeling of needles stabbing the insides of my chest rushed back.

But I didn't want to ruin the moment and thankfully, I managed to somehow put up a fake smile and respond with a slight stutter.

"G-Good Morning."

You smiled back, exposing that crooked smile that I loved and always will love, leaving me completely and utterly breathless. I blushed madly. Yes, it seems like every little you do still tints my cheeks that infamous shade of pink.

"I-I'll go m-make us breakfast." I muttered, quickly looking away from your gaze.

I peeled the covers off of me before pushing myself up from the bed. I walked towards the door and turned to you once again, flashing another forced smile.

"Go take a shower, Yeobo. I'll call you down once breakfast is ready."

"Can't we stay in bed for a while longer?" You whined, pouting adorably with those kissable lips of yours. I chuckled, this time a genuine one.

"You have schedules today, Jjong. And so do I."

I my heels and finally head down to the kitchen. When I got there, I blinked a few more times at the sight in front of me. The table was still set for our supposed-to-be anniversary dinner last night and the food was still left untouched.

I quickly moved, grabbing what my two hands can to prevent you from seeing my failure of a surprise. I packed away the candles, together with the wine glasses and porcelain plates. All that's left for me to do was take away the now-cold food resting on the table. I was about to get back to it when you suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"Yeobo~" You came walking in with just a towel wrapped around your waist, you hair dripping wet, and an empty bottle of shower gel in one hand. "We ran out of shower gel~ What do I d- OH! Watermelons! And Japchae! Owoahh, Jeyuk Bibimbap! Are we having all these for breakfast?"

I froze on the spot, not able to think of a proper excuse. My heart was busy doing something else though... busy shattering. Why? Because you completely forgot. The excitement in your voice rips my heart into two, my soul evaporating to thin air. All these... I prepared. Just for you and me.

"T-These are not edible anymore, Jjong... I, uhh..." I bit my lip before continuing, finding the strength within me. "They were supposed to be our dinner last night. But no worries! I should've known you were going to be busy with the recording.

I saw you open your mouth, probably to apologize. Yeah, I just know you too well.

So I beat you to it.

"Anyway, Jjong! Here," I handed you the new bottle of shower gel that I pulled out from our necessities drawer. "Go finish your bath."

I turned around as soon as the bottle was passed on safely to your hands. I grabbed the plates filled with wasted food and dumped it's content on the garbage bin. Half of my heart went with it.

I'm not one to waste food, but hey, there's nothing much I can do, now is there?

I started on the sink by running the faucet water and washing the dishes. I was quite aware of your presence behind me but I refuse to have this conversation with you, knowing the one who'll end up with the broken heart is... me.

I didn't want the memories from last night to invade my mind again. It's painful, too painful.

I was dragged out of my personal space when you suddenly s your muscular arms around my waist, slowly leaning in closer and resting your chin on my shoulder. My body tensed - and I was hoping you didn't notice - when I felt your hot breath on my neck. You were burrying your face just below my jawline, brushing your nose lightly on what little skin exposed by my loose shirt.

"It totally slipped out of my mind, fck. I'm sorry, Babe."

I didn't say anything. I mean, what did you expect me to say?

"I'll make it up to you tonight, I promise. We'll dine-out after I'm done with my schedules for today, okay?" You assured me, kissing the back of my neck.

I just nodded, a small smile playing on my lips. I waited for the three words I've been longing to hear for quite some time now.

But they never came.
They rarely escape your lips since...

Since you started working with her.

You slowly inched away and walked back upstairs, probably to finish your shower. I squeezed my eyes shut, inhaling and exhaling deeply before finishing with the dishes and starting with breakfast. I'm giving my heart one last try.

We weren't lovers for three long years for nothing.
I didn't wait two years for you to love me back for nothing.
I didn't give you all my firsts for nothing.
I didn't quietly stand and watched you in the shadows to protect your career for nothing.

I didn't just choose to love you for nothing.

This must mean something.
We should mean everything.

Last night... never happened. I'll have to tell myself that multiple times before I can push it at the very back of my mind.

I let out an inaudible sigh before preparing the most important meal of the day. As if on cue, you walked in and I motioned for you to occupy your usual spot on the table. You kept on going on and on about your activities for the day and some random people whose names I haven't even heard of. I let you be, knowing full well how you would whine and throw a dinosaur fit whenever interrupted.

I'm not complaining though. I actually love listening to you.

"Oh and I'll be guest-ing at SSTP with Ryeowook-hyung and Jessica later tonight. But I promise to head straight home for dinner once we're done, Yeobo~" You excitedly announced.

Jessica, huh?

I ignored the sudden pinch in my heart. It's just work. Nothing more, nothing less.

The doorbell rang abruptly and I knew you had to leave with your manager then. I internally chuckled sarcastically at myself when a certain thought crossed my mind: Even your manager doesn't know about us. I kind of applaud him for still not getting a single hint and still believing that you're living with your bestfriend - well, at least that part wasn't completely a lie. The next thing I knew, you were sitting inside the van and your manager closing the door for you. I watched from the window as the vehicle drove further and further away.

I immediately took long strides to the direction of the bathroom and stripped myself fully. It was only a matter of time until my own manager comes for me. I have only been a professional model for a over a year now and unlike you, I'm not at the peak yet. Yes, I have done a number of CFs here and there together with magazine photo shoots but the centerfold of it, I'm not able to reach yet.

In less than an hour or so, my manager came as expected. I went with him without protests, since I have to work hard if I'm aiming to be at the top.

I badly want to have a respectable name in the modeling industry, to have people recognize me for what I do best. But unlike you, I'm not only doing this to achieve my dreams. No. There's an underlying purpose beneath it. You. I want to be of the same level as you, if not, at least somewhere near below you. I want you to be proud of me and say, 'that's my boyfriend right there'.

When we arrived at the location of the shoot, I inhaled a large amount of air and let it all out deeply.

I'll work hard for you, Yeobo.

 

 

 

"So," I was snapped back to reality when this singer whom I have to work with today for an advertisement spoke up. I must have been spacing out to not even notice his presence beside me. "you seem distracted during the whole shoot, you know."

"It's that obvious?" I asked while he nodded in response. "My apologies, I'll try to concentrate after this break."

"You can tell me what's bothering you. I don't bite," He flashed me a smile that I swear would make every girl in this planet swoon. "besides, the coordi-noonas wouldn't want to see an evident wrinkle on your forehead, now would they?"

I rolled my eyes but chuckled heartedly nonetheless. Somehow, he managed to lighten up the mood. "I so don't have wrinkles, you meanie. But thanks, that lifted some of the weight on my shoulders."

"Can I borrow your phone?" He suddenly asked.

I gave him a quizzical look before answering back. "Why?"

"Just because. Hurry~" He started to whine which left me no choice but to hand my phone over.

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and was about to check if you sent me a message but this annoying guy snatched it away from my hands the moment I brought it out. He started punching in some digits and before I could even question him, he was holding the mobile in front of me, grinning.

"Here! Don't give it out to random people especially my fans, okay?" You proudly said.

"Yah! I didn't even ask for your digits. Tch." I snatched my phone back from the annoying person seated only a foot beside me.

"Consider yourself lucky, Key~ Millions of girls would kill just to have my number. Hmph! But seriously, Kim Kibum, call me when you feel like the world's turning its back on you, got it?" You crossed your arms over your chest and puffed air into your cheeks.

"Conceited." I blurted out.

"Confident, is the right word. You should be, too, Key. You're an amazing little model." He patted my back and nodded as if to agree.

"L-Little? Yah!" I protested, but my outrage was put to a halt when PD-nim called us out to resume the remaining frames of the advertisement.

 

 

 

6:58 p.m.

I checked the time for the fourth time and logged on to SSTP's homepage. The radio show will be broadcasting your live interaction with the other singers, so I decided to stream while waiting for you. Tch, here I am again with all the waiting. But hopefully, you'd fulfill the promise you made earlier this morning. The show starts at seven o' clock in the evening which is only two minutes from the curren time.

7:01 p.m.

SSTP's logo song played in the background while Shindong-ssi of SuJu and Shinyoung-ssi take their places at the hosts' corner. I haven't really met them in person, so I'm not quite sure what their personalities are like. Afterall, I've only done commercials and/or shoots with a singers a few times.

Not long after, the guy who I recognized as Ryeowook-ssi came in and took a seat at the far end. I was surprised, to say the least, when you walked in together with her. She's gorgeous, even I myself will admit to that. She managed to  look undeniably beautiful with just her casual clothes. You pulled out the seat for her before you plopped down on the comfortable chair next to her. I can feel my heart clenching again, but I tried to shrug it away.

It's just work. Yea, that's all there is to it.

Fortunately, the jealousy - yes, I'm admitting to it since I love you so much, Kim Jonghyun - subsided as the radio show went on, at times even making me laugh to myself in front of my laptop like some crazy fool. Shindong-ssi can really be funny, that's for sure.

"Let's hear it, then! Here are Jonghyun and Jessica singing Ne-yo's y Love!" Shinyoung-ssi announced with an excited clap from Ryeowook-ssi and Shindong-ssi.

It didn't bother me that you're going to sing a duet with her until I noticed something different while you were standing with her in front of each of the mic stands - not to mention the humongous mic that covers almost her entire face. She looks so frail, petite. But looks perfect with you beside her.

Work. They're just doing this out of work.

The music started as both of you swayed and bobbed your head in time with the beat.

My y love.
Mm hmm mm.

Your forever-soothing voice started. I swear my hear melted to the ground at that very moment.

Mm hmm mm.

But then came her voice. I'd be lying if I say her voice doesn't go along well with yours, 'cause hell... it does.

She makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
Just one touch.

I still get butterflies everytime he pass by.
I can't say why.

Oh, god... NO. I looked intently on the screen, trying to catch that one thing.

And I just can't think
Of anything else I'd rather do.

Than to hear you sing
Sing my name the way you do.

There it is. That look in your eyes tells me everything. You just laid out in front of me the thing I fear the most.

When we do our thing
When we do the things we do.

Baby girl/boy you make me say

You're in love.

y love and the things you do

Keep me sprung, keep me running back to you
Ooh oh, running back to you.

You're in love... but unfortunately not with me.

Ooh I love
I love

Making love to you

Baby girl you know you're mine.

And with that, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. The secret glances exchanged with her, the mischievous smirks you constantly aimed at her direction, the way your puppy eyes emit affection whenever you lock gaze with her...

Oh, baby, what we do it makes the sun come up
And keep on loving 'til it goes back down.

Boy, I can't get enough of you, my y love
that is why
I'm keeping you around

Oh, my y love
Oh oh.

... says it all.

 

I turned off the laptop, got up from the bed - our bed - and started to pack a set of clothes. I won't leave you just yet. I just... needed some time away. I think.

I bet one night without me wouldn't make any difference for you anyway.

I grabbed a pen and a sticky note from the bedside desk - our bedside desk - and wrote down a note if ever you wonder where I'm at. But I doubt you'll even be home tonight.

I guess you have decided to keep your y love around.

 

 

 

 


A/N:

Thanking my first seventeen subscribers!
I would love to hear from each and every one of you, be it a supportive comment or a constructive criticism. :)

Also, the people who made me want to continue this story because of their oh-so-amazing comments on the first chapter:
babymiiinsangel, vampireme12, pinkbubbles95, KaylaTrancy, xxxSHINeeLuverxxx, jongkeyrocksmysocks, kpopluv7, LocketForever.

I am so in the verge of tears right now thinking, 'how did I get these awesome authors themselves to even read this booger of a fiction?'. :')