A wonderful morning.

Waking up without you.

 

Credits to rabbitfox.wordpress.com for the image above.


[ Key ]

 

"Do you miss them?"

His question left me staring at the ceiling, my head still resting on his lap. Of course, I miss them -- my own circle of friends, the 91-line. With the things going on with my life right now, there was never a time when I didn't think about how badly I need their company. They were, and still are, my strong tower.

But then we grew up, each of us reaching for the top.

Almost everybody wanted to be a stage performer, excluding Minho and I. Posing for the multiple flashes of the camera was my heart, while Minho pursued a more athletic road. We'd exchange hi's, hello's, and how have you been's through text messages, but meeting up for a cup of coffee seemed almost rare, if not impossible.

"I do. You have no idea just how much I wish I was you, Rabbit."
I weakly answered, a frustrated sigh escaping my lips.

"Will you be so kind to tell me the reason behind your grief, Princess?"
He questioned, a sly smile tugging the corner of his mouth.

I rolled my eyes at him, attempting to sit up but his hands pushed down on my shoulders which caused my to fall back down on his lap. It's still a wonder to me  how he can be strong and manly yet so full of gentleness at the same time.

"You're not going anywhere, Kitty. Not until you get that feeling out of your chest."
A hubby finger poked my nose, resting the hand it belonged to on my stomach.

For a very short moment there, I thought I felt the pumping organ in my chest skip a beat -- the feeling almost foreign to me now.

"You're an idol,"
I started, pouting as I continued.
"and so are they."

"I don't see any problem with that."
He cocked a brow in confusion.

A sigh escaped my lips, too late to turn back now.
"You get to be with them on music shows, get to work with some of them, even."

I observed as he bit down on his lip and nodded in understanding.

"Say what, I'll take you with me back stage on the day of my comeback. That is if you have nothing on your schedule that day."

My eyes instantly lit up in response to his words. The last time I visited a broadcasting station was when Seunghyun and the rest of FT Island members took me with them to watch.

The same day I saw that love struck smile on your face when you sang with her.
The same day I lied to get your attention back, failing miserably as I did so.
The same day I made the decision that changed my life drastically.

I packed and left, letting you be with the person your heart longed for. It was obviously not me anymore, it was her.

"Can you really do that? You know, it's your comeba--"

"It's a promise, Kitty."
He smiled that lovely smile that makes my heart flip in a strange way for the past few days.

It made me feel all warm inside, but somehow, I liked it.

"Promise is a big word, Lee Jinki,"
I found myself saying.
"don't make one if you're just going to break it in the process."

I can't be blamed for my words, no. I've had my fair share of heartaches caused by your un-kept promises. I wasn't just about to keep my hopes up again. But something feels different this time, Onew's different.

"I know,"
His hand rubbing my half-exposed tummy, making me giggle a little.
"that's why we're going to pinky promise on it."

The next thing I knew, a pinky finger was being wiggled in front of my face. I couldn't help but give him an are-you-kidding-me look, which was a very bad idea, in my opinion. Why, you might ask? Because--

"You asked for it, Kitty."

--he did it. He started tickling my belly button, the most sensitive part of my body.

I don't know how long I laid there squirming and letting out mixed sounds of giggles and chuckles. My hands tried to pry his pair away but there was an obvious difference of strength. I would have savored the carefree moment if it wasn't for the sudden flash of memory in my head. The only person I have ever allowed to touch any sensitive part of my body was... you.

Not even Taemin or Seunghyun was allowed. So why was I allowing this hop-bunny to touch me without feeling violated?

Our fun was cut short when the sound of someone clearing his throat reached our ears. Onew snapped his head back while I forcefully pushed myself up to sit. I almost forgot you were still inside my apartment.

"Uhh, good morning?"

I froze. My body suddenly felt numb. Vague memories of last nigh haunted me the moment I locked eyes with your beautiful brown orbs. I sat there, my hands gripping on the hem of Onew's sleep shirt as I take in your features that I haven't seen for almost two months.

Your soft, brown locks that yelled bed hair.
Your deep, round puppy eyes that used to look at it me with so much love.
Your sharp-bridged nose that showed off your large nostrils.
Your pink, full lips that looked candy-sweet, making me want to have a taste of it.
Your perfectly sculpted jaw line that made you look like a handsome dinosaur.
Your pretty little mole that rested between your collarbones.

I was in your image, a succubus working his charms on a mere human.

I wanted to run to you, to hug you, to touch you, to shower you with kisses, to be with you...
But we both know why that could never happen.

For a month and a half, I struggled to get over you -- to move on. With the help of Onew and Seunghyun, I managed to get through but not completely.

"Ya, Jonghyun. You're finally awake."
Onew dragged me out of my trance with his voice as I quickly looked away.

Getting up from the couch, I straightened my baby-pink shirt as it was wrinkled because of the playful hare and patted my skinny jeans. I was indecisive of my next action and I immediately put my barriers up. With all the courage I have mustered, I turned around with a forced smile pasted on my lips.

"Good morning. I prepared breakfast, Hyung. Kimchi Stew, right?"
After all that has happened, I still managed to remember the little things that made you happy.

I hope she's treating you well.

I watched as you nodded with a smile. It was hard for me to be near you, I'll admit that. There were still a lot of things to be cleared, issues to manage. But just by locking gazes with you, we both knew that this was not the right time. Not when the wound is still fresh and bruised. If you were really happy with her, then there was no reason for me to object.

I turned to walk to the kitchen when the familiar touch of a warm hand grabbed onto my wrist.

"H-hey, Key. How are you feeling?"
The sincerity in your voice and the moisture in your eyes almost made me forget the reason why I left you. Almost.

"I'm quite well now, Jonghyun-hyung. Thank you for taking care of me last night."
I bowed in appreciation but the sad look in your eyes didn't go unnoticed when I stressed your authority over me.

Before you could answer, I pulled my wrist out of your grasp and took refuge in my safety zone -- the kitchen. I was taking a huge risk by talking to you, let alone breathe the same air as you. The walls that I have tried so hard to put up were in grave danger. They weren't sturdy enough.

If only Onew didn't bring you here.
If only he knew what to do.
Then I wouldn't have to put up a pretense in front of you, I wouldn't have to be reminded of the pain you brought on me.

"Uh, you need any help?"

I almost spilled the hot stew at the sudden ring of your voice from behind.

"No. Just take a seat, Hyung."
I commanded, cringing internally every single time I call you Hyung.

"Yeah, Jonghyun, don't bother the mom when he's working. Sit here!"
The clever rabbit beckoned you to take the seat next to him behind the bar.

The feelings that I have tried to lock away were starting to resurface, and I hated it. I despised it when you started watching my every move, every step I took as I prepare your first meal of the day. Those hypnotizing eyes that seemed to bore right into my soul -- my barriers were shaken.

I've become stronger, I chanted in my head to keep myself from softening up.

Carefully, I placed the pot on the counter before the two hungry males and got two bowls filled with rice, yours were less than his.

"Half serving, right?"
I asked meeting your eyes for the second time that morning, though I'm quite sure I got it correct.

To my surprise, you shook your head 'no' and pouted. I have always known you were bipolar and if we were still together, I would have leaned over the bar to kiss those full li-- what am I even thinking?

"When I woke up one morning, a note told me to eat well and forget about my diet. Add more rice, please."

I blinked a few times, eyes wide in shock as the meaning of your words dawned on me.

Rice - don't starve yourself to death by eating salad, Jjong.

You remembered. And you took it to heart.

I quickly dusted off the memory, taking the white bowl from your hand, your fingers bushing against mine for a split second. The contact gave me goose bumps and I tried to hide the heat that was crawling up my face.

I've become stronger, I keep chanting in my head.

"Eat well, both of you."
I released a small smile before untying the apron I have put on earlier and turning to my heel towards the living room.

"You're not eating?"

My breath hitched as your voice filled the air yet again. It was hard enough to be around you. Did you plan to make it harder for me?

I forced my body to turn back and answer when my knight in shining armor rang the doorbell to save his damsel in distress.

"That's probably Seunghyun. Rabbit, finish your food quickly and get changed."

I hurriedly skipped to get the door and true enough, my knight -- well, sort of -- was standing there with his infamous dimpled smile.

"Kibummie! I thought I was going to die of missing you!"
He lunged at me, his thin arms instantly wrapping themselves around my neck as I also circled my arms around his frame.

"Stupid, it hasn't been three days since we last saw each other. How was the fan meeting?"

I pulled away from the hug and tugged him by the wrist to the living room. As soon as we occupied the long couch, he began with his stories. FT Island left for a short trip to Japan the same day Seunghyun took me out shopping. It amused me how my ex-lover-turned-best-friend always found time for me despite his busy schedule. Not that I'm complaining, I just can't help but think why you weren't able to do that for me.

I nodded and smiled at the young guitarist's words, listening for important details because he hated it when I don't pay attention to him. Sounds like someone I know, huh?

"Can you believe it? That AB-typed Hyung just stole my sushi without per--"
My brows raised at his sudden pause, his eyes getting bigger than Minho's. I followed his gaze which was set over my shoulder and gasped in surprise as I saw you standing there with the same dumbfounded expression Seunghyun has while Onew trailed behind, wiping his hands with some tissue.

I was carried away by Seunghyun's stories to the extent that I forgot to warn him about you being here.

This only meant one thing: War.

"WHAT IN PORORO'S WORLD IS THAT MONGREL DOING HERE?"
I winced at Seunghyun's sudden outburst that even led him in getting up to his feet, an accusing finger pointed directly at you.

I shouldn't have expected you to be the bigger person and not engage on a pointless argument with the band member because you did just that. You never were the type to think before acting.

"Sorry to burst your delusional bubble, but I have every right to be here, unlike some uncoordinated wimpy kid."

I massaged my temples in irritation and stood up to save the world from future destruction. I didn't even notice when you and Seunghyun started to close the distance and yell at each other's faces. Literally.

"Look who's talking, you stinky mutt. Why don't you just run off to your dog house and let Kibummie have his happy ever after with Onew-hyung?"

This is just plain stupid, I thought as I made my way in between them, trying to shove their bodies apart.

"Oh, so you admit that you can't make him yours? What are you still doing here, then, kid?"

"I'm his best friend who will stand by him no matter what. Unlike you -- a cheating horn dog!"

"WHAT... DID... YOU..."

"Are you deaf? I said you're a cheater and a crazy horn dog combined in one stinky body!"

"S-stop it, you two!"
Things were getting out of hand and I didn't really want my morning to turn out worse than it already was. But I was ignored completely like I wasn't even standing there.

"Say that again and I'll ruin that flowerbox face of yours--"

"Cheating. Horn dog!"

And that was it. I was harshly thrown on the grown, the back of your palm accidentally hitting me instead of Seunghyun. Tears welled up as I held my now swollen cheek and just stayed still, shocked.

It wasn't the pain that brought my tears out, no. The adrenaline rush felt for the wrong reason and the fact that you just laid a heavy hand on me, though unintentionally, for the first time since we met made them roll down my cheeks within my control.

This is just ridiculous.

Absurd!

Rage was building up in my chest in an uncontrollably fast manner as I felt a pair of arms curl around my trembling shoulders. I was mad, angry, furious!

I was furious for the first time in my twenty-one years of existence.

The arms pulled me to their owner's chest tightly and I instantly recognized whose scent it was. Of course, my gentle rabbit.

"K-key... I- ! I'm sorry, i-it was an accident..."
I heard you mumble on my side.

My body started to tremble as I tried to compress the burning rage that threatened to erupt with what little rational thinking I have left. Onew was drawing soothing circles on my back but it wasn't really helping since I have just reached my limit. I pushed his chest lightly, attempting to stand up but when I almost stumbled back, he took the initiative to hold me up. My thoughts were in complete disarray and the only thing I was sure of was that I have had enough.

Wiping the tears with the back of my hand, I turned to face you and Seunghyun -- both cowering as I glared you down.

I took a step closer, causing the two of you to take a similar step back.

"This is my home,"
This was not me speaking; this was my anger taking control over my senses.
"and in my home, I make the rules."

Another step forward I took uncertainty clear in your eyes and his.

"That means no bickering, no cussing, and most definitely no raising of voices!"
I hissed in frustration.

"But Kibummie, you're already yelling at u--"

I shut the youngest up with a glare. It hasn't been ten hours since my fever went down and I was already scolding two ignorant creatures at the top of my lungs.

"Let's get you changed, Rabbit, before I lose my sanity more than I already did."
I curled my fingers around his wrist and started pulling him towards the door.

"Key! Where are you going with him? We still need to talk!"
You followed behind while I put on a pair of pink converses to match my current outfit.

I tied my shoelaces, pushed myself up, and snapped my head to meet your eyes.

"Kibummie! I'm coming with you, remember?"
Seunghyun shoved you aside and questioned me with a hopeful stare.

I tightly shut my eyes closed and exhaled loudly; trying to keep what was left of my composure intact. Opening my eyes, I darted my attention from you to Seunghyun, and back.

"I'm going to visit Minho and Taemin, and Onew's the only one accompanying me there unless both of you learns some anger management."

And with that, I turned back on them to join Onew who was then opening the door for me.

"But we still need to talk, Key! I broke u--"
"You promised to let me co--"

I slammed the door with much force that I never thought I had and held onto my chest to calm myself down.

"You okay?"
The always relaxed Onew rubbed my arm soothingly.

"Let's just get you fixed up. You're not walking out of this building with those chicken-patterned pajamas, are you? Besides, my manager's going to kill me for this swollen cheek if I don't get myself fixed as well."

Can somebody just shoot me now?

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

Forgive me if this chapter . This whole week has just been so stressful I can barely sleep for more than 4 hours. And to add to that, my right hand hurts like hell. I was told by mom (she's a nurse) to let it rest for a couple of weeks and just use my left instead (I'm ambidextrous). They say that this is a common thing for programmers since you sit in front of the computer for an unimaginable amount of time, the right hand taking the damage more because of the constant clicking of the mouse.

Conclusion: I won't risk my left hand to suffer the same fate as my right so I'm not sure if I can update by next week. But I'll try my best to make it work! :>

God, I wish this story can fasten its pace and get to the shoot with Jessica already. But it can't, so I guess we all need to be patient for a while.

 

Ooh, somebody's making an appearance next chapter:

 

Oh, and her as well:

 

Am I spoiling you too much? Alright, I'll stop.

 

Soooo... have you seen Key dancing to Sistar's Alone? And Jonghyun tearing his vest apart to expose his honey abs?
If you have, then good for you! You can die happily now. ♥

Alright, alright, I'll go now! :)) I've ranted too much.

 

P.S.
You don't want to miss this amazingly written fic: Nursery Rhyme of Another Summer

 

THANK YOU TO ALL READERS, SUBSCRIBERS, AND COMMENTERS!
I may not be able to thank you personally, but know that I truly am grateful. :>