Killing the silence

The Eyes (Brought Me To You)

When Kim Sunggyu had given a certain Nam Woohyun the permission to be in his life, he didn’t exactly mean for him to wreak it havoc, really. It had been a week and the only thing Sunggyu had realised was that it was almost as if his life was being haunted by the ghost and shadow of Nam Woohyun. At times, he just had to wonder just what had he signed himself into when the only way his life was going then was down.

"Just let me stay close to you."

He had listened to the soothing voice of the other’s whisper the other day, letting the bud of curiosity grew as he marvelled just how on Earth would Nam Woohyun prove Sunggyu’s worth of existence just by being close to him. He had wondered the night he went home but Sunggyu had only the thought of regret the next morning when he first understood that his everyday life was going to make history every time a Nam Woohyun were to involve.

Nam Woohyun was a magnet of disaster, if Sunggyu could’ve exaggerated a little. The first week Woohyun was finally allowed to be by his side had actually turned out to be pretty normal, if not slightly weird by some turn of events honestly.

Sunggyu had woken up that next morning feeling somewhat refreshed, his chest light and his lips curled at the recollection of Woohyun’s warm words. He had dressed himself up nicely; set to take on the unfair world as he made his way to their college with fresh steps, only to harshly tumble into a firm body of flesh and muscles as he took a turn, his vacant eye hadn’t anticipated the incoming figure.

“Ooff!” Sunggyu had fell with a loud grunt, his bum sore from the impact and his pants wet from the puddle of water on the road.

“Yah!” He had yelled out, eyes wide as he felt the cold seeping through his skin, a glare immediately shooting up at the kind perpetrator for having ruined his good morning. He would’ve screamed a lot more if it weren’t because he was rendered speechless the moment he had seen a grinning Nam Woohyun standing right in front of him.

‘Why are you here?’ He had meant to ask but the question had only remained in the form of thought as he found his lips momentarily paralysed. Sunggyu wouldn’t have guessed that he was not exactly ready to meet the other until it had actually happened.

Woohyun, still donning on his stupid grin, had quietly held out his hand for Sunggyu to take. The previous Kim Sunggyu would have slapped the hand away, cursing him for ruining his day, hissing that he was more than capable to get up by himself. But this wasn’t the previous Kim Sunggyu.

This was a new Kim Sunggyu whom had assented for Nam Woohyun to break into his life. So when the elder had placed his own hand into the other’s, Woohyun didn’t even bother to mask his stupid grin that was morphing into a full blown smile. He instead, held the hand tighter and pulled the man up, gaze straight onto the elder’s eyes as his smile turned brighter.

Sunggyu had to grumble and grimaced as he stood up, feeling the soaked fabric of his jeans sticking close to his skin. He let go of Woohyun’s hand as he inspected his pants.

“Yah, Nam Woohyun. You know you just ruined my jeans, right?” He griped as he glared at the other, Woohyun only shrugging it off with a nonchalant smile.

“It’s just jeans, Gyu. It’ll dry itself while we walk to college.” He had checked the poor and soaked garment out before he finally answered. He then looked up at the bright sky and winced at the glare of the sun, nodding his head as though he had just agreed to his own prior suggestion. Sunggyu wasn’t bothered by the obvious nonchalance though.

“We?” He had noticed instead, a small frown peeking onto his forehead. Woohyun bobbed his head, eyebrows raised as he blinked an innocent look.

“Yes, we.” He clarified.

“Wait, are you here because you were waiting for me?” Sunggyu had questioned as he narrowed his little eyes at the other. Woohyun’s own had only widened slightly, barely noticeable if the other hadn’t properly looked at him.

“What? No, I wasn’t. I’m not a stalker, Gyu.” He retorted yet Sunggyu had only shot him a suspicious stare before he rolled his eyes.

“It’s totally a coincidence!” He defended. “I promise!”

“Right.” Sunggyu had snorted before he shook his head and trudged away, leaving the other to trail his steps from behind.

“Wait, Gyu! Let’s walk together!” Woohyun had yelled, walking fast as he followed the other, yet maintaining a few steps behind as though he was waiting for something—something that was akin to permission maybe. But he needn’t to wait when the silence Sunggyu was letting on was already like an affirmation to him. Woohyun then gladly fell into steps right next to Sunggyu, body strangely pressed close together.

Their walk then was only a quiet trip, save for the soft humming of Woohyun while Sunggyu strangely found comfort while listening to it, until Sunggyu had suddenly thought of something and finally broke the silence himself.

“Hey, Stalker.” He had tilted his head to the other, Woohyun only humming back as he turned to match the movement. The elder then crossed his arms against his chest, raising an eyebrow at the latter as he began—

“I know I let you to be around, but I don’t remember saying you can call me by my name though?” He spoke, a look of challenge making its way onto his soft but stern feature. Woohyun though, hadn’t really taken up the challenge in Sunggyu’s words, replying the question with a tone of obliviousness.

“We’re friends. Friends don’t use formality.” He had answered, startling Sunggyu with it.

“Friends?” Sunggyu started. “Since when are we friends?”

“Uh, since yesterday? You said to do whatever I want, and I want to be your friend.”

“Hold on. I did say that, but being friends meant both consented to it. And I didn’t, so we’re not friends. Associates, maybe. But friends? Hey, don’t push your luck, Nam Woohyun.” Sunggyu’s words were somewhat strict, but there wasn’t any tone to prove the austerity. Instead, he had only seemed to be amused by Woohyun’s logic. And Sunggyu knew the latter hadn’t taken his words seriously if the small pout of his bottom lips was of any indication.

“Fine, then I’ll just call you Gyu hyung.” He had pushed the topic off, lips stretching from a pout to an adorable grin as he looked at the elder. Sunggyu frowned.

“Wha—no, that wasn’t even any better!” He had countered but the grin on Woohyun’s lips wasn’t going away and he knew then that the other wouldn’t even bother to give up his notion.

“Better than just Gyu right? Okay, Gyu hyung! I have to meet a friend now. I’ll see you in class?” Woohyun halted walking as he turned his body to the other, finger pointing to the direction of their class.

“Stop being so familiar! And no, we don’t really have to see each— yah!!” He yelped out loud, his small eyes growing impossibly large as he stared at the younger that was already grinning cheekily before stepping back.

“See, hyung? Your jean is totally dry now!” He claimed with a sudden wink before waving a hand and dashed off, avoiding the incoming insults and punches.

“Wha—you idiot stalker!” Sunggyu had shrieked. “Molester!!” His shout screeched in the air, Woohyun’s loud laughs barely reaching his ears as the other slow jogged to the other side of the building. It was then when he felt a hand sliding onto his shoulder, so when he turned his head to see the owner of the hand, he couldn’t really help the palm on his face as he groaned out load. Lee freaking Sungyeol.

“Whoaa, Gyu! Did Nam Woohyun just slap your ?” The lanky boy had commented, a creepy smirk already etched on his lips. Sunggyu just had to grunt again.

“Ugh, shut up, Yeol!” Scolded the elder before he smacked the hand away and stomped off into their class, eyes avoiding all the gawks he was receiving much thanks to Woohyun’s inappropriate action.

Sunggyu didn’t want to know if the heat on his face was because he had screamed or because the heat was actually getting to him – or maybe because of something else that he couldn’t quite put his finger on. He had just hoped that it was hate, but maybe hate was a little too strong of a word— Dislike, dislike was probably the better description, and so he thought.

Yes, Sunggyu didn’t like that slap on the .

“You totally liked it, Gyu.”

“Ughh!”

★★

It had been similar for the rest of that week then. Sunggyu would bump into Woohyun albeit not falling down the rest of the times, a pair of hands would always clung onto his arms— hadn’t let him fell even once. It was strange how many coincidences could happen in a week but Sunggyu wouldn’t want to question nor did he want to jinx it. For once, he appreciated Woohyun’s presence as they walked together from that junction despite the unsubtle, numerous skin contacts. For once after a while, Sunggyu hadn’t felt that strange tension whenever he walked through the junction. For a while then, he hadn’t felt the scar on his eye throbbing, hadn’t had flashbacks of the fated accident.

And Kim Sunggyu appreciated that – had needed that comfort. He could really use a peaceful walk for once, and if that entailed a Nam Woohyun by his side, he wouldn’t really mind, if only Woohyun could keep his hands on himself only.

And yet, although that week had been quite uneventful— well, weird as Woohyun kept assaulting him physically with back hugs and hair ruffling, but bearable as Sunggyu got to strike the other back with punches and whacks, Sunggyu couldn’t really say the same thing for the week that came after. Everything had been sailing quite smoothly if Sunggyu would’ve dared to say, until the next Monday had came and Woohyun hadn’t shown himself up.

Sunggyu wouldn’t even bother to concern himself with his disappearance if this hadn’t already happened before. But it did and it made Sunggyu wondered the question why? But Woohyun hadn’t gone missing for very long, save for a few days he had skipped before he had finally came back, surprising Sunggyu when the other had turned up during his hospital appointment out of the blue.

“Why are you here?” was the first question that escaped the elder as soon as he saw Nam Woohyun, a sheepish smile on his lips as he seated himself beside Sunggyu.

“Missed me?” But Woohyun had asked instead, ruffling Sunggyu’s hair as his eyes warmly gazed at the latter. Sunggyu could only gawk at the other, eyebrows joined close as a frown took over his look.

“Why are you here?” Sunggyu had shot the question again. He wasn’t in the mood to play games. Heck, he wasn’t in any mood at all because Woohyun was always like this, always did this to him—staying and bugging him like there was no tomorrow and disappearing like a wind whenever he wanted to, then appearing again out of nowhere as if there was nothing wrong with what he was doing to him. Sunggyu hated that. He didn’t know why or what he hated, but he just hated the fact that Woohyun’s disappearance was invading his mind and affecting his mood.

He was expecting a more reasonable answer when he had asked the question, really, but when Woohyun had answered, Sunggyu just felt like he was being ridiculed by the other. It was annoying and he had almost felt like pushing the younger off before hiding at a corner where Woohyun couldn’t see him. But he didn’t.

“I came to see you.” There was Woohyun’s simple answer but it wasn’t what the elder had wanted to hear so he glowered.

“Bull. How would you know I have an appointment today? You didn’t even come to class.” He snarled, glaring at the other.

“Um, Sungyeol kinda told me?” His voice was soft but questionable when he had answered. Sunggyu’s eyebrow had quirked at the answer.

“You were at the college?” Sunggyu probed but Woohyun hadn’t answered, had only smiled before he had his finger brushed Sunggyu’s stray hair away from his eye.

“Sungyeol told me you have an appointment today. What for?” The younger had asked instead softly, his eyes tracing up to Sunggyu’s damaged eye. There was something behind Woohyun’s look but Kim Sunggyu didn’t know what to put on it. It wasn’t pity nor was it sympathy; maybe there was a look of guilt behind it, yet Sunggyu wasn’t so sure if it was either. Kim Sunggyu couldn’t read the look Woohyun was radiating and it irked him to the point that he wanted to just wear an eye patch and hid his scarred eye forever.

Sunggyu had to look away, hadn’t liked the feeling of having his discernable eye under inspection.

“I’m removing the cast on my arm today.” Still, he answered. Woohyun’s gaze immediately dropped to Sunggyu’s casted arm then.

“It healed?” Asked the younger but Sunggyu had only shrugged.

“As much as it could I guess.” He told him.

“Why?”

“Well, the doctor did say before that there was a possibility that my hand wouldn’t return to its usual function.” Sunggyu had seemed indifferent then but Woohyun was already slightly frowning as he looked at the former.

“Hey, it will.” Woohyun tried to convince but Sunggyu had only briefly shaken his head.

“It’s not like I care.” He had spat. I’ve lost the one thing that I treasured so much; losing another one wasn’t the problem anymore. He had thought as his eyes trailed to the casted arm. It wasn’t until a hand had slipped into Sunggyu’s, holding his numbed one when he realised that his hands were actually shaking. Sunggyu had looked up in an instant, and there was Nam Woohyun, curling a smile at the elder that the smile had almost sounded like it was saying that everything would be okay.

Sunggyu didn’t know if he could trust that smile though, but if anything, Sunggyu had already found his hands slowly relaxing, the trembling was barely noticeable there. He had only realised then, that Kim Sunggyu had actually cared, that he was actually terrified to find out if he’d lost another one.

It was only a moment of comforting silence later, his hand still in the other’s, did Sunggyu’s name was finally called before he felt his hand finally slipping away from the warmth. He noticed a nurse giving a small nod at him, motioning him to enter the room and Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun. If Woohyun had noticed the slight fear in Sunggyu’s eyes, he probably hadn’t made it obvious when he had only blinked confused before he finally smiled and stood up, immediately walking by Sunggyu’s side as they entered the room together.

The doctor had greeted them, Sunggyu only replying with a meek nod as he took a seat across the doctor while Woohyun pulled a small chair to sit himself by his side. The doctor then explained the procedures of the cast removal, efficiently gathering all the necessary tools before finally initiating the first step to the process. Sunggyu wasn’t really afraid of the huge and dangerous look of the tools. No, Sunggyu was afraid of what came after.

The process took a bit longer than he expected before he finally felt cold air touching the skin of his right arm, the doctor then inspecting it carefully—hoping it had healed as much as he’d hoped. When the doctor had asked Sunggyu to do all sort of range of movements of his right arm though, he hadn’t really expected to find them so difficult to do so.

“It felt numb.” He had answered when the doctor had suddenly asked how his arm had felt. Sunggyu was already frowning then, eyes focused on his own arm as he struggled to move it around. He hadn’t realised the breath he was holding in until the doctor had asked him to do so.

“Breathe, Sunggyu. Breathe.” He told the other. Sunggyu had quietly let out a huge huff before he began to breath again—his face had flushed madly as he suddenly found the task at hand just so very exhausting.

When the doctor had asked him to repeat the movements again, Sunggyu was almost about to give up, almost whining that he couldn’t do this, that it was too difficult. Yet when he felt a warm hand was holding his functioning one and long fingers lacing through his, Sunggyu took a look at the man and saw that encouraging look on Woohyun’s face. You can do it; Sunggyu had almost felt the words emanating from the firm grasp of his hand.

Sunggyu then inhaled a longer breath in and slowly releasing it out before he tried the movements again. They weren’t any less difficult than before, but his arm was moving better, and it was all worth the struggle if it meant his arm would perform better. His arm was moving and that was the only thing that mattered then.

The doctor had praised his effort, had mentioned that his arm was doing better than he expected, that he needed several more physiotherapy sessions before his arm could fully function as it used to. But that didn’t matter. All Sunggyu needed to know then was that he would have his arm again, that he hadn’t lost his arm, and that he could play his piano as well as he used to before.

“Yes, Sunggyu. You will be able to play the piano again.” The doctor had reassured him with a huge smile and Sunggyu was already mirroring his look.

Sunggyu hadn’t felt that happy for a long time, probably a few months, and he could already feel the happiness emanating through his whole body when he had turned to look at the younger, Sunggyu’s own hand tightening the grasp on Woohyun’s as he beamed at the latter.

Sunggyu had wanted to say something, to express the joy, to tell the world how happy he was, but he couldn’t. The words in his head were a mess, he didn’t know where to begin or how he should even begin, but when Woohyun had swooped him into his arms, hugging him as tight as he could, Sunggyu knew that the words in his head had already reached the younger then.

“I’m glad, hyung. I’m really glad.” Woohyun had whispered, his nose nuzzling against Sunggyu’s neck as he felt the heat radiating from his whole body. Kim Sunggyu hadn’t realised though, that he was already hugging the other back until the doctor had cleared his throat and grabbed their attention.

The both of them had immediately pulled away, both faces had flushed fervently as they flustered through the doctor’s explanation about the care of his hand as well as his next appointment. Sunggyu nodded his head to show that he understood before he had bid the doctor farewell and finally took their exit.

It was only afternoon when they had left the hospital, agreeing that it was still early to go home before they silently made a trip back to their college. There was an awkward silence hanging between them but neither had tried any effort to break it, hadn’t known what to say in such situation where both of them were still reminded and embarrassed of their previous and sudden embrace.

But they didn’t really need to do anything when a bicycle had suddenly came through, almost colliding the unsuspecting Sunggyu if it wasn’t for Woohyun’s swift reflex of pulling the elder close to his side.

“Hey! What the heck?!” The younger had cursed as he growled at the disappearing culprit before he turned to Sunggyu with a concerned look.

“Hyung, are you okay? The bicycle didn’t hit you, right?” He had asked, but Sunggyu was too perplexed to form any answer so he had only shook his head, Woohyun releasing a relieved sigh the moment he saw the response.

“That was really dangerous, you know. That stupid kid really needs to be educated. You could’ve gotten hurt!” He had nagged loudly but Sunggyu hadn’t known what to say back. He could only flicker his eyes, gaze still fixated in the direction of the bicycle.

“Hyung, you sure you’re okay?” Woohyun had asked again when he realised Sunggyu wasn’t responding as usual. Sunggyu could only nod then before tugging the younger to walk with him. The latter, feeling concerned, had swiftly changed their position before he took the elder’s hand in his. Sunggyu looked at the intertwined hands with a frown.

“For precaution measure.” He had said while holding up the connected hands, a small smile on his lips, and his ears rosy despite displaying a nonchalant look. Usually Kim Sunggyu would’ve noticed such unsubtle move of having skin contact, would’ve shoved the other away while yelling ‘stalker!’ or ‘molester!’, would’ve rejected any form of skinship with the younger, but this time, Sunggyu just couldn’t.

Because once again, Kim Sunggyu was with the fact that he was a handicap, that at least half of his vision was blind. And he knew if it hadn’t been for Nam Woohyun then, he would’ve ended up back in the hospital once more. Funny, because Woohyun was the one reason he was blind in the first place. Now Woohyun was the one who would keep him from the scent of antiseptic again.

Sunggyu had wanted to laugh at how stupid everything was— his life, his fate, and his karma. Yet he hadn’t, not because it was useless, but because he had felt a squeeze on his hand, because Woohyun had pulled on their joint hands and stared at them as if he wouldn’t ever let go.

And Sunggyu had forgotten all about the dark thoughts then— a dust of pink had shaded his cheeks as he looked away, secretly curling a small smile he hadn’t realised he had.

★★

Sunggyu was walking around in the cafeteria, looking for a certain lanky boy when he had heard an octave-too-high voice booming from his right.

“Hey, Sunggyu! Over here!” Sunggyu narrowed his eyes, scanning for the owner of the voice through the crowded dining area before he finally pulled a smile on and headed over, pulling another guy with him. Woohyun just dutifully followed while his eyes were scanning the crowd for his own and only friend.

“Hey, Yeol.” Sunggyu had greeted before taking a seat in front of the said boy, eyebrows joint close when he realised Woohyun was still standing, seemingly still looking for someone he was sure was named Kim Myungsoo.

“Yah, sit.” He had commanded before tugging at their intertwined hands, which of course had only warranted the coy look on Sungyeol’s face.

“Woah, Gyu. Since when were you guys official? Am I the last one to know? How could you!” The other had feigned the look of hurt. Sunggyu’s eyes widened at the comment, a blush creeping onto his face before he had quickly disconnected their hands, words stuttering as he protested.

“We did not! Stop assuming stupid things, you ert!” He had spluttered. “Yah, Nam Woohyun! Would you sit? You’re being an eyesore now.” He demanded once again, harshly tugging onto Woohyun’s arm until he actually sat himself by his side.

“Yah, stupid tree. If you’re looking for Myungsoo, don’t bother.” Sungyeol had spoken when he had noticed Woohyun’s wandering eyes. The latter casted a brief glance at him before he continued his searches, muttering a quiet “as if”. Sungyeol rolled his eyes at the rude remark before he knocked on the table to catch Woohyun’s attention.

“He’ll be here, stupid tree. He just went to buy his steak.” Informed the long-limbed boy.

“And how’d you know?” Woohyun had asked with a puzzled look while Sunggyu too had gaped at the other, curious to find out as well.

“Well, his stuffs are here so I would assume he would want to come back here to have them back.” He replied while pointing a finger at a dark-colour bag on the table. Sunggyu’s tiny eyes expanded at that, a cheeky grin donning his lips then.

“Oh god, Sungyeol. I know you like him a bit too much, but stealing his bag? That’s going a bit stalker-ish, don’t you think?” Sunggyu had teased, liking the dark red that was colouring his friend’s skin.

“Yah! I didn’t steal his bag! He left it here, okay?” The other barked back, bulging his eyes out because heck – Don’t say that in front of Myungsoo’s best friend, you idiot! But Sunggyu had only chortled heartily, didn’t even care that Sungyeol was shooting daggers at him while Woohyun had one of his eyebrow quirked up at the declaration.

“And since when did you and Myungsoo hang out with each other? Last time I remember, you guys weren’t even friends.” Woohyun commented, inquisitive but Sungyeol hadn’t needed to answer when someone else had answered for him.

“Since you always went missing and Sunggyu kept asking me about you, you stupid mongrel. Where have you been, you idiot?” Myungsoo had unexpectedly joined in, placing the tray of his food on the table before sliding into his place next to Sungyeol. Sungyeol shot him a look of gratitude before he actually dared to stick his tongue out at Woohyun mockingly. But Woohyun didn’t care. The only thing he had cared was the fact that Sunggyu had been asking about him while he was gone.

“He did?” Woohyun’s eyes had brightened up a little too much for Sunggyu’s liking.

“I didn’t!” The elder had protested, shaking his head vigorously.

“You totally did! You kept pestering me to pester on Myungsoo to ask where Woohyun was!” Sungyeol had gladly briefed in. Sunggyu’s eyes went wide at that because – you cannot go and expose your best friend’s secrets! Especially not to a Nam Woohyun!

But did Sungyeol care? No, he didn’t. Revenge was clearly evident in his mischief-laden look.

“Yah! I so did not pester anyone about that!” He tried bluffing, eyes glancing at the other until he saw a cheeky smile on Woohyun’s face. “And Nam Woohyun, just stop with your -eating grin!!” He had scolded instead when he realised he wasn’t going to live this down. Woohyun was still showing off his grin when he began his teasing—

“Hyung, you don’t have to hide it, you know. You know you missed me.” Sungyeol had only worsened everything out when he had poured oil to the fire of his embarrassment.

“He totally did! If only you were there to see Sunggyu’s look of – ouch!” Sungyeol had yelped in pain, rubbing the part where Sunggyu had kicked under the table. But that didn’t stop Sungyeol from laughing a little too boisterously at Sunggyu’s heated face, Myungsoo chuckling at the two’s antics while Woohyun had looked a little too pleased over the whole ordeal. Sunggyu could only hid his face behind his hand before grabbing Sungyeol’s file to fan himself. Suddenly, the air-conditioned hall had felt a little too hot for Kim Sunggyu but at least, Sungyeol had kept quiet save for his booming and annoying laughter.

It took them a while before the roaring hilarity finally settled down, Sungyeol happily wiping away the happy tears from the corner of his eyes before he gulped down his drink, throat sore from laughing too much. Sunggyu thought the teasing would’ve finally stopped when he saw Myungsoo digging in his food while Woohyun headed to buy their own share of food. But it was really stupid of him to think that the teasing would ever stop when Sungyeol had only just began—

“So, why the hand holding?” Sunggyu had to groan again before slapping a hand on his forehead, Myungsoo smirking at the question asked.

“Would you drop that? He was just helping me while we were walking.” Sunggyu explained, rolling his eyes when Sungyeol’s smirk had only worsened.

“By holding hands?” The other narrowed his eyes, suspicious but still smirking. Sunggyu really hadn’t felt like answering the question because honestly, Sunggyu didn’t exactly feel good about that incident. He had almost forgotten about the accident if it wasn’t because Sungyeol had reminded him of it. But the look on Sungyeol’s face told him that he wasn’t going to drop the question until he got the answer he wanted to hear, so Sunggyu tried his best to answer without revealing too much of his feelings.

“Well,” he began. “I nearly collided myself with a speeding bicycle because I freaking couldn’t see it coming, so yeah, by holding hands.” He had meant to sound casual but his own mouth had already failed him when the words that came out had sounded a bit bitter than he intended to. Sunggyu was glad though when Sungyeol hadn’t pressed too much further, the look on his face morphed from teasing to concern in a split second when he had heard the situation.

“Were you okay?” He had asked instead and Sunggyu could only smile then, nodding.

“Yeah, don’t worry. There weren’t any injuries. Woohyun kinda saved me there. Thanks for asking anyway.” Sungyeol had nodded, hadn’t probed any further as he let the silence took over them, taking another sip of his drink while Myungsoo had continued eating his food. It was minutes later when Woohyun had finally returned with two plates of fried rice, quietly taking in their food until Myungsoo had decided to fill in the silence.

He had coughed, clearing his throat before he started. “Hey, we forgot to tell you guys something.” Sunggyu and Woohyun immediately looking up from their plates, paying attention while Sungyeol wondered the reason Myungsoo had used the word we.

“What?” One of them had responded, their curiosity now piqued.

“Mr. Kang made an announcement this morning.” Myungsoo had begun to fill in, lighting up a small bulb in Sungyeol’s little head as he did so.

“Oh yes, about that!” He chirped in, the excitement was quite evident if that wide stretch of his lips was of any indication.

“What announcement?” Sunggyu had urged, impatient then.

“Our class is going on a trip this weekend!” Sungyeol had gleefully announced instead of Myungsoo, waiting for at least an eruption of thunderous claps from the other two but was slightly disappointed when he was only greeted with a startled “what?”

“I said, our class is going for a trip to Jeonju, Gyu! It’s your old hometown, remember?” Sungyeol had reminded the eldest of them. But Sunggyu was still trying to process the abrupt news while Woohyun had already stopped eating, hadn’t exactly look delighted upon hearing the unexpected plan.

“Wow, that’s a bit too sudden, isn’t it?” The latter had remarked, putting down the spoon in his hand as he casted a few glances at Sunggyu’s way.

“It’s not sudden, Woohyun. We’ve been discussing about this for a while now actually. You guys just didn’t know because one is too busy going MIA while another is just too occupied wondering where the other had been.” Myungsoo had interrupted, had obviously smirked when he had heard the sound of Sunggyu choking and had seen the red growing under Woohyun’s skin. Sungyeol however had sat impressed, bobbing a nod of approval as he stared at Myungsoo a few seconds too long.

“Wow, Myungsoo. I didn’t know you had the inner sarcasm in you.” He commented, proud. Myungsoo though, had to blink his eyes stumped, because he really didn’t know what to make of such comment.

“Uh, thanks?” He had expressed instead before shrugging the weird feeling off.

“Well, ok then. Thanks for telling us anyway.” Woohyun had told them, face still slightly flushed as he picked up the spoon again to finish what was left on his plate. But Sungyeol wasn’t letting them to when he had softly slammed two hands on the table, showing off an oddly huge grin as he flickered his eyes. Oh no, Sunggyu knew that look.

“Aren’t you gonna ask why I’m so excited?” Sungyeol had spoken expectantly and Sunggyu could only roll his eyes while Woohyun had seemed a little clueless with the sudden mystery. Myungsoo otherwise wouldn’t even bother as he chewed on the straw.

“Can we please not?” Sunggyu had pleaded; shaking his head desperately while Woohyun just frowned.

“Ask away, now, Woohyun!” Sungyeol waved a hand at the said boy. Woohyun, still clueless of what was to come, had just complied then albeit unwillingly.

“So why are you sooo excited, Sungyeol?” He had made sure to press on the sarcasm. Sungyeol took the question as a cue before he exploded in a loud and chirpy voice—

“That’s because all of us had been assigned into a group for the trip!” He gladly briefed them in, Sunggyu’s eyes growing larger if that was even possible for his tiny eyes.

“Wait, all of us? Don’t tell me—“ Sunggyu’s sentence was left hanging when his best friend had readily interrupted.

“Yep! The four of us with the additional of Jinyoung and Mark!” He had declared delightfully. Sunggyu had to groan at the information while Woohyun had only sneaked a small smile in, finally seeming to take in the news of the sudden trip quite well.

“Oh my god. No.” Sunggyu had already sunk his forehead onto the table, had only begun to question his luck of having stuck with them for the few days of their trip. But that wasn’t the last of the bad news he was going to hear. No, there was more, really.

“And guess what? You and Woohyun get to share a room while I get to share with Myungsoo!” Sungyeol had squawked excitedly, hands clapping before he chanced a glance at Myungsoo who seemed pretty unimpressed himself.

“What?!” Okay, that—he definitely wasn’t ready for, Sunggyu had thought, jaw left hanging as he gawked at Sungyeol. Woohyun on the other hand had looked pretty content, and Sunggyu definitely detested a contented Woohyun. Definitely not!

“But Yeol—“

“No, Gyu. You can’t change the arrangement. Teacher’s word.” He had wiggled a finger, shaking his head a firm “no”. Sunggyu immediately glared at the other because he had known Sunggyu almost half his life, he had more than understood the schematic side of Sungyeol. Kim Sunggyu was pretty sure there was something fishy with the sound of the trip.

“Bull.” He had cursed under his breath.

And the villainous of Sungyeol’s laughter was more than enough to convince Sunggyu of it.

Yes, Kim Sunggyu definitely had a ty friend indeed.

★★


Hi, gals! Sorry that I’ve been so quiet for almost a year, well, more or less. I know some of you have been waiting for an update, but I was so busy last year, had been admitted into hospital for almost two weeks, and had been even busier after that because I had to defer my final exam till now. Actually, my final exam is going to be at the end of this month, and I really should be studying now, but heck, I missed this story so much. It was one of my own favourite ones honestly. So here I am, finishing at least one chapter to quench my heart and gift you guys with the long awaited update. I hope you like the new chapter! Do drop a comment and tell me what you guys think!