The scar left behind

The Eyes (Brought Me To You)

Three days had passed since he had returned back to college and life was still as difficult for Kim Sunggyu. No, it wasn’t the crowd of people nor the question marks hinted on the students’ faces that had him bothered. To his pleasant surprise, the five minutes that he had somehow promised the other guy had proven that something had changed that day. The class was strangely calm and normal. It was still noisy but the noise wasn’t exactly directed towards him. There was no unsubtle glancing, no more obvious looks of curiosity after that. Sunggyu had almost felt like he was treated as normally as it was before the accident – except that sometimes, he couldn’t help but notice the subtle cautioned look the students would show. It was as if they were being more careful of what they said and did around him. Sunggyu didn’t know what brought the change but he had been so very thankful for the peace of mind he had earned then.

It was still a trouble for him outside the class though, but at least Sunggyu could be free of those scrutinization looks in the safe haven of his understanding class. Life was still difficult but Sunggyu thought he could cope with it. Yet what he could not cope then was his newfound disability. He had lost half of his vision in that accident and school had proven to be even more stressful with half his world taken away from him.

The same day Sunggyu had went back to college; he had wanted to get back to his studies that he had left for almost two months. He had wanted to use his reference textbook for a brief revision, but it was just wasn't there on his table. He remembered bringing it with him. He remembered it in his hand just before he entered the class. He had panicked; what if he had lost that expensive book his father had gotten him somewhere? He had rummaged through his bagpack, flipped out— until a hand had extended out and pushed the book into his view. The book was lost— lost in his dead eye, the eye that had nothing but dead shadow. Sunggyu had flushed vehemently at that moment, embarrassment and bitterness clouded his proud heart that he had even forgotten to thank the one who had kindly helped him.

It wasn’t even half an hour later when Sunggyu had opened his notebook to jot down the notes that were written on the whiteboard. But the flick of a head towards the board had only frustrated him more when he found half of the board missing from his view. He had clenched on his pen so tight that blood had drained out of his palm. His hand had trembled so badly. He was so mad, hated himself for being useless, for being so slow to follow the lectures, for being half blind. He had almost reprimanded himself for his lacks when the very same hand had extended out once again, this time handing him two pieces of paper congested with handwritten notes from the lecture. Sunggyu had frowned at the helping hand, turned his head to see the one helping him, and why was he surprised to see the same guy sitting right next to him, donning a somewhat foolish grin on his sharp, handsome feature?

“What are you doing here?” His look of curiosity almost immediately changed its form into a scowl. No, Sunggyu hadn't exactly feel like seeing that guy twice in the very same day he had met him again. The guy however, had raised an eyebrow at him and tilted his head, his face oozing oblivion.

 “Uh, studying? Class? Taking notes? Going to school?” He had replied, very smartly if Sunggyu could've say.

 “I know that.” Sunggyu had his eyes rolled— annoyed. “What I meant was, why are you here besides me?” He hadn't particularly expected a very smart answer to come from this idiot guy but the answer that had come out definitely wasn't what he had wanted to hear from him.

“Because this is my usual seat?” The guy answered, gathered his things into his bag once he was done jotting down the last words on his notebook.

“No, it wasn’t!” Sunggyu was absolutely irked then. Why was he returning his question with another question?! And no! He wasn't about to give away the benefit of his double seat. He owned those seats! “This used to be my bag’s seat! It was empty before!” He claimed.

“Well, not anymore.” The guy had nonchalantly refuted. Sunggyu groaned, almost kicked the guy by the legs but he had held back— he reminded himself to stay and remained calm.

“Why are you here in the first place anyway? I’ve never seen you in my class before.” Sunggyu crossed his arms against his chest, interrogating.

“I’m a transferee.” Oh, that made sense.

“Fine." Sunggyu grunted. "Didn’t aaaaanyone in this class ever tell you that this is my seat?” Sunggyu had tried to reason. Maybe he would get the hint behind his dripping sarcasm. Maybe. Or maybe not.

“Well, that is your seat. Not this one.” The other had pointed out, stood up and ready to leave. Sunggyu had to shoot up too because hell no, he would never let this guy looked down on him. 

“No! Both of these seats are mine!” Sunggyu was being childish, he knew that but he didn't really intend to spend his remaining college months with the guy who had taken his eyes away. And he hadn't exactly felt like being polite with this guy either. No, he didn't deserve that. But it hadn't seemed like this guy actually care if Sunggyu was being polite or even rude. He was nonchalant. He wasn't pertubed at all.

“Tough luck, Mr. Kim Sunggyu. You can’t have both things you want in life.” He casually dismissed him. Sunggyu huffed, taken aback because "really? Like I didn't already know that." Sunggyu made a face and sneered at the other.

“Did I already tell you that you were annoying?” He glared. To Sunggyu's annoyance, the guy actually had the nerve to chuckle at his question.

“Indeed, you already did.” He looked somewhat amused and Sunggyu didn't quite like the jubilant look he had sported.

“How about piss off?” Sunggyu hissed, and damn it, the other had looked even more amused this time. 

“No, not yet.” He kindly answered, obviously trying to hold back the chuckle at the back of his throat.

“Good. Just telling you now. Piss. Off.” Sunggyu had intended the harsh shove against the other's shoulder as he walked past. 

“I have a stomach to be fed here.” He had graciously informed the guy as he left him behind.

Sunggyu hadn’t really known how much he hated his disability then until he had almost hurt himself, almost kissed the guy when he had almost gotten involved in a small accident he had brought upon himself. Sunggyu had wanted to leave his class as soon as possible to meet Sungyeol for lunch when he had took a step forward. He hadn’t seen the dangerous step in front of him, his void eye being the sole reason behind his carelessness. He had almost walked into it and planted face first onto the ground if not for the guy—who had grabbed his arm, gripped his waist, and pulled him back swiftly and into his embrace. Sunggyu regretted snapping his head up to scold the guy for helping him because their nose had touched, their lips almost. He hated how he had felt at that time. He was helped by the guy who had caused his life misfortune, stood too close in his arms while his own fingers had desperately clung onto the guy’s shoulder—he felt pathetic.

“Are you okay?” The voice had sounded even deeper close to his ear, and it had pulled Sunggyu out and back into reality. He had struggled out of his arms and pushed the guy away. “I don’t need your help.” He growled with a strong glare and hurried out. Sunggyu had hoped that it would be the last time he saw the guy, had hoped that it would be the last time he received help from the guy. But whom was he kidding?

“Stop following me!” Sunggyu stopped on his track, turned to the back and hissed loudly. The glower on his face would have been scary enough to shake other people off, but apparently, not this guy. He had only stood there and shrugged his shoulders with no care.

“I’m not.” He replied.

“Then why are you walking behind me?”

“Because you’re not the only one heading to the café. I have a stomach to be fed too.” He had replied and jutted his bottom lips out. Sunggyu had wanted to scream and maybe strangle him while he did that, wanted to say something to retort, but he couldn’t. It was lunchtime after all. Sunggyu grunted out loud, turned and stomped his feet off. It’s okay. I’ll just let Sungyeol do the crime. Sunggyu had thought, wishing his best friend had his fork ready at the café.

Kim Sunggyu had felt so very stupid to actually think about trusting Sungyeol. Words couldn’t describe how happy and excited Sunggyu was when he had seen the precious fork in Sungyeol’s hand as he reached their usual table—that handsome guy still trailing behind him. Sunggyu was even more thrilled when he saw Sungyeol’s round eyes almost popped out in surprise when he had recognized the guy whom he had once proclaimed to be handsome and his type. Sunggyu saw those eyes; those eyes that had hinted of an evil murder plan and Sunggyu could even read all the other plans writtened on his face. Sunggyu was absolutely fired up when his friend had even shot up from his seat, ready to lunge himself towards his stalker with the fork still gripped in his fist.

Sunggyu had almost wanted to clap in victory but stopped miserably when Sungyeol had suddenly halted his lurch, stiffened and frozen, eyes blinking foolishly.

“Hey, Woohyun.” A voice had interrupted the joy Sunggyu was about to celebrate. Sunggyu his foot, wanted to scowl at the other for ruining the perfect murder plan when he finally understood, or a better word, saw the reason Sungyeol had turned to statue.

“Myu- Myungsoo.” Sungyeol had stuttered out in a whisper, his face reddening up like fire the moment he saw the quiet, chic guy approaching. The handsome guy, or so was being called Woohyun had stopped walking and turned around.

“Myungsoo.” He called out with a smile; a small wave of hand signed him to come. The guy complied as he stood in front of them.

“Thought you’re eating with me?” Myungsoo nudged the guy— now named Woohyun.

“Yeah, I am.” He nodded once, subtly glanced at Sunggyu to which the latter had frowned at him. That Myungsoo guy just tugged on Woohyun's arm.

“Then hurry. The steak is gonna finish by the time you had stopped stealing glances at him.” Myungsoo snorted when Woohyun guy had hissed and jabbed his ribs. Sunggyu however just kindly decided that he hadn't hear anything then. 

"Fine. Just go get your steak fast. I'll look around for seats for us." Woohyun had narrowed his eyes when he saw the smug look Myungsoo had sported. He was obviously enjoying whatever silent conversations their eyes were having. But their bickering eyes were not the reason Sunggyu had almost spluttered and kicked the legs of the table in front of him. No, Sungyeol's painful stupidity did.

“You guys can have your steak here! With us!” Sungyeol had suddenly chipped in, his voice pitched an octave higher than his usual tone. Sunggyu’s small eyes had widened out this time, if it was even possible what with his small little eyes. "Yah!!" Sunggyu had warned, needed to warn. What was he thinking?! Even that Woohyun guy was taken aback with Sungyeol's sudden invitation.

“I'm sorry?” He had spewed. "I said, you guys can sit with us. Umm, we— we have extra spots anyway." Sungyeol gladly yet nervously repeated.

“Yah! Lee Sungyeol!” Sunggyu hissed and jabbed—no, stabbed the guy by the waist with his sharp elbow. Sungyeol's face contorted into pain but the curl of his lips still remained on his face.

“Sit with you guys..?” Woohyun's forehead creased. "No!" Sunggyu had hollered a second after. 

“Yes! I mean, yes! We can save you guys a seat here. You guys can go ahead and buy your steak.” Sungyeol had reasoned out and Sunggyu could only blatantly dropped his shoulder. Seriously?

“Okay?” Sungyeol had asked when the two hadn't given an answer, obviously stealing glances at Myungsoo hoping he would agree.

“O-okay…” Woohyun was hesitant to answer, but Myungsoo had shrugged his shoulder and they didn't exactly have any reason to reject either. Sungyeol had quickly waved them away to get their food with a smile, before that smile dropped into a guilty-looking one as he clasped his hand together.

"Sunggyu! I'm so sorry!!!" He begged with his eyes closed tight. Sunggyu scoffed at his best friend.

“Yah, I can’t believe you! I thought you wanted to kill that guy with a fork!” Sunggyu plopped himself into the chair, eyes still glowering at his so-called best friend. Sungyeol looked offended at that.

“What? I didn’t say that!” He defended himself. Sunggyu scoffed once again and made a face.

“Yeah, but your face did!” 

Sunggyu couldn’t believe how stupid he was to trust Sungyeol to carry out their well-planned murder. He had expected the guy to avenge his misfortune for him, but ended up having to eat lunch three days straight with the guy he had hated most because of his own best friend. But then, Sunggyu didn’t exactly hate the turn out of event either. No, he loved the look Sungyeol had when Sunggyu had ordered him around to get him his favourite food and drink. He liked the way Woohyun had subtly fussed over Sunggyu’s broken arm and had fed the food for him. Of course he hadn’t smile or even thank the guy for helping him with his food. He deserved that much for all the pain he had suffered thanks to him. Sunggyu had noticed though, Sungyeol’s non-approving look when Sunggyu was being fed yet he had somehow felt satisfied seeing that. But Sunggyu wasn't satisfied however, when Woohyun had somehow crossed the line this time.

Sunggyu had stood up to return his tray of food back to the counter, struggling to lift the heavy thing with only one hand when Woohyun had rose and took them from him without saying a word. Sunggyu frowned at that. He admitted that he actually liked seeing them being ordered around by him, tottering but he didn't quite like receiving help when he didn't exactly ask for it or want it.

“I can do that myself.” Sunggyu grunted and protested as he tried to take back the tray. But the guy had only shrugged him off and had walked away to return them.

“Yah! Stalker!! Give me back my tray!” He had yelled, didn't really care if the other students had watched and stared.

“Stalker?” Woohyun had turned and raised an eyebrow at him. Sunggyu clucked his tongue and flicked his head at the other.

“Yeah, stalker!” He even added one more this time. Woohyun was obviously amused then.

“I have a name, you know.” A corner of his lips curled upward but Sunggyu wasn't going to have it.

“So? You’re still a stalker, a creep. Always butting in and appearing when you shouldn’t have.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes annoyed yet Woohyun had only looked even more amused at Sunggyu’s new nicknames for him.

“Okay, Sunggyu. Whatever you say.” He laughed away.

“Yah, it’s Kim for you. Don’t you dare call me by my first name!" Sunggyu had barked back but it hadn't deterred Woohyun's nonchalant look when he had just shrugged his shoulder off.

“Well, you called me stalker. So…” He trailed his words longer than necessary.

“You deserved that!” Sunggyu had insisted but no, Woohyun wasn't going to stop there.

“I can call you Sunggyu then. Since I’m your stalker anyway.” He pressed on the word quite obviously. Sunggyu frowned.

“What? No! You can’t!” He stomped. Sunggyu had actually stomped.

“Just call me Woohyun then. Fair, isn't it? Sunggyu. Woohyun.” He pointed a finger respectively. He was negotiating, tricking.

“Never! Never calling you that! Stalker! Creep!” Sunggyu's face had flushed red. He just wouldn't admit defeat, would he?

“Okay then, Sunggyu.” The guy had taunted, turned and walked away.

“Yah! Nam Woohyun!” Sunggyu hollered very loudly with a stomp of a foot. Woohyun turned and feigned a look of surprise.

“So you do know my name!” He gasped. Oh, God only knew how much Sunggyu had wanted to strangle that long neck of his while the other two boys on the other hand had only watched the scene from the side, amused.

“Smooth!” Both Sungyeol and Myungsoo had commented quietly— smirked at Woohyun’s nonchalance look like he hadn’t actually nicely forced the older to call him by his name.

The bickering between Kim Sunggyu and Nam Woohyun however didn't exactly stop there but the rest was just history. Sunggyu had no intention to reminisice the annoying conversation he had then— mostly it was just Woohyun outsmarting him with words he couldn't argue. Sunggyu had thought that the day wouldn't really get any worse than it already had. His life that day had been sailing quite smoothly if he might even dared to say— excluding the bits where he had to see that Nam Woohyun guy. Everything so far had gone fairly well. Sunggyu had earned the permission to leave his books in his class, had Woohyun doing all the hardwork and took their notes in class, and had even managed to play the piano without having to see half the keys of the piano. Sunggyu was so very pleased that his fingers still remembered how to dance around the keys that he hadn't actually needed to see them to play. He was so very happy and relaxed that day— that he had even fell asleep in in his class, arms looped around his head as he rested on the table. It was the worst nightmare he had ever had since that accident.

Sunggyu was somewhere, on an unknown land. There was a huge school building there, abandoned. The land was stormy, a typhoon was going around. But Sunggyu was safe at the centre — it was calm there but wild and harsh outside. It was then when he saw a guy standing outside the wall of storm— black shirt, black jacket and a pair of black pants, his hair sleek and charcoal black as they tousled and rimmed his head. He had seen his face amidst the wild storm yet he couldn't discern the feature; the wind was harsh to his view. But Sunggyu could at least tell, that he didn't know this guy. Sunggyu took a step closer to the side of the circle he was in. He wanted to get a better look. He narrowed his eyes and focused on the guy. His eyes were sharp yet it had looked sad. His lips were smiling yet it was anything but happiness. Then there was a jagged scar on top of his left eye. He hadn't known why but his hand almost immediately shot up to reach out the moment he saw him nodding and turning. He had wanted to call out his name, told him "Don't leave!" but he couldn't ring any bell. He didn't actually know this guy. He didn't know his name. The guy had walked away, his steps slow and steady, yet the steps almost screamed like he wanted Sunggyu to stop him from leaving.

Sunggyu had run. He had dashed out and into the stormy land. The force of wind was strong though; his whole body shook and trembled as it tried to walk past the wall of storm. He wanted to reach the guy, maybe asked him "Who was he?" and "Why was he leaving him?". But as his shaky legs took another step within the harsh blow, the guy had turned around and smiled sadly. Sunggyu was taken aback when he had a clear look. His legs stiffened and still, rooted there on the ground before an even stronger gush of wind took him somewhere else. 

He wasn't on a stormy land anymore. Sunggyu looked around. He was at the intersection. Why was he seeing this again? Sunggyu didn't understand. His eyes then caught a figure similar to himself running across the road. He knew who it was but Sunggyu hadn't averted his eyes yet. He just kept on watching. He watched how the guy he had been trying to save stopped, how he had looked at the other him confused and how had almost looked like he had seen a ghost. Sunggyu watched himself reaching out and pushed the guy out to safety, saw how foolish he had been when he could've saved himself had he jumped out along with the other. But knowing it then didn't change anything now. Everything had still happened. His body had still met the rock hard car, had tumbled and rolled on top of the car, had his head knocked the front mirror until it had cracked and teared his eye with its pieces, before his body had rolled back and whammed against the tarred road. Sunggyu could feel the pain all over again. He remembered still being conscious until a hand had reached out and slapped his cheek. He remembered a voice asking him if he could hear the other. Sunggyu had wanted to nod his head, wanted to say "I heard you," but the pain was too intense, his head was throbbing. And before he could see who it was, he had closed his eyes and let darkness took his consciousness.

He hadn't been curious to know whom it was before, but Sunggyu could see everything from here. He had recognised the one who had knelt by his side. He had recognised that concerned, worried look on top of the disheveled feature, saw how tears and fear externalised through the look of his eyes. He saw how the hands had trembled when Sunggyu's blood had smeared on them, the white hoodie tainted with bright red, the whole body screaming that the owner was distraught seeing that Sunggyu was dying with that much of blood loss. That person hadn't known what to do except screaming to the crowd to call for the ambulance. It wasn't until Sungyeol had arrived when he finally made the call while others were too stunned to do anything. Sunggyu didn't know what he had felt at that moment, but he did know that, Nam Woohyun had been there with him.

Sunggyu felt a twinge in his chest. He didn't exactly understand the tug in his heart but he hadn't exactly planned to understand it either. Just when Sunggyu had wanted to turn and leave, hadn't wanted to know what happened next, Woohyun— he had turned his head towards his direction when Sunggyu's litheless body was still in his arm, his eyes still glistened with tears before the fear behind them had grown significantly. Sunggyu had frowned at that. Why? What's happening? Did he maybe

"Sunggyu!!" A voice had pulled him out of his dream. Sunggyu's eyes shot open and his head jolted back. He blinked his eyes a few times, his breathing ragged as he looked at the owner of the voice.

"Woohyun." He whispered, panting as he tried to gain back his regular breathing. Woohyun looked worried. His fingers were clinging onto Sunggyu's shirt that he had almost crumpled the ironed cloth he was donning.

"Sunggyu." He had called out again, the fingers on his shirt tightened this time. Sunggyu's breathing was slowing down then. His eyes were looking deep into Woohyun's. He didn't say a word though. That dream was intense; his eyes were lost in the other's worried gaze. He was dazed and zoned out— until he felt a warm touch on his cheek.

Woohyun had run his thumb against his skin, wiping the wet trails of his tears. Tears. Sunggyu didn't know he had cried. He hadn't understood why. He had only known that the rough skin sliding against his had felt tender, gentle, calming— until the touch had reached and hovered over the scar. Sunggyu's hand rose, grabbed the hand on his face, and looked into the other's eyes again.

 

"Ouch!!!" A loud cry of pain resounded and Sunggyu's face had told him nothing but nonchalance and satisfaction before he had released Woohyun's hand. 

 

Sunggyu had twisted the other's wrist and away from his scar.

 



 



I hope this wasn't so sad and intense \\ >___< // And yes, i tried to chip in some jokes and fights in there to make it less intense. I hope you guys like this chapter as well! Do tell me what you think of it! I love feedbacks! <3