When it slips through

The Eyes (Brought Me To You)

Kim Sunggyu had always known that he was indeed one of the blessed beings on this Earth. He had always known it the moment he understood the gift of his eyes, of what they could do and what they could bring. Kim Sunggyu was born with a 7th sense.

At the age of four when he had learnt to speak phrases, Sunggyu’s parents had brought him to a hospital in worries because they had thought that their son was hallucinating every time he had voiced out or described strange things that never really happened. It was only after 6 months later did they come to understand that no, it wasn’t like they never really happened. They just didn’t happen yet.

At the age of eight when Sunggyu had barely begun to learn to differentiate right from wrong, Sunggyu had vowed that he would use the blessing he gained since birth for the good of the people around him. All due to a certain girl whose life was saved when he had told their teacher that she didn’t know how to swim and that her safety life jacket was malfunctioning. An hour later, the boat she had sat on became unstable when two boys had fought on top of it and the boat unfortunately flipped over, almost causing heart attacks when the kids on board were thrown into the lake. Luckily no one was harmed that day and the mother had rewarded Sunggyu with a box of chocolate for saving her daughter.

At an older age of 17 when Sunggyu had finally learnt what liking and crushing on people had entailed, Sunggyu had saved himself from the pain of heartbreak when he had foreseen the future of his crush, which definitely did not include a Kim Sunggyu in the picture. It was then when he realized that he not only could save others from their troubles but also himself. Sunggyu couldn’t even be more thankful than he already was for sparing himself from the pain and grief before he could delve deeper into the world of love and heartbreak. Sunggyu learnt to be careful next time.

And now that he was finally in college at the age of 23, Sunggyu could only blissfully drown himself in the sea of praises he earned from his mates as he began developing his reputation by helping those who seek for his help. He had even heard some people calling him “The Eye Opener” and “The Luck Leaf” for all the good fortunes he had brought them. He never thought that it was true because all he did was tell them clues and hints. What happened next in the future only depended on the choices and decisions they made with the puzzle pieces that he had given them.  

Yet as time went on, little by little, Sunggyu found himself indulged and proud for helping these poor people. He just couldn’t avoid the disease of the mind growing in his heart as we all know that pride and ego always walk hand in hand. The pool of praises, the look of awe and respect, the grateful gestures, they had all but feed on his ego. And then, at the age of 25, Sunggyu had changed. Modesty had long been hidden behind the proud features of his foxy look. Kindness was masked behind the rewards he had never refused anymore. And sympathy was kept locked and never resurfacing as he could no longer feel nor show the concern now that he was so used to people’s misfortunes.

And Sungyeol definitely did not like the difference Sunggyu had come to.

“Yah, Kim Sunggyu.” Sungyeol hissed as he pulled the elder aside, giving the poor girl some time and space to let everything sink down.

What? The question was evident on Sunggyu’s expressionless feature despite not voicing it out as he dragged himself along with Sungyeol’s pull.

“Can’t you be even a slightest bit considerate towards her?” The taller guy frowned as he took a short glance at the sobbing girl, who deliberately tried her best to wipe the streaming tears.

“What’s wrong with what I said?” Sunggyu lowered his voice, his eyebrows dryly connected in confusion.

“You just told her that it’s her sister’s destiny to die early and that she can’t do anything about it!” Sungyeol had almost raised his voice if not because they were in public. He knew many of them were watching them, trying to quench their curiosity as they witnessed the tears and sobs the girl had let out. Sungyeold had no intention to brew more troubles than they already had.

“But it’s the truth anyway. Her sister has leukaemia! What need is there to lie and sugar-coat my words to her?” It wasn’t like Sunggyu didn’t want to admit that Sungyeol might’ve been right about it, but Sunggyu just couldn’t understand the reason he had to do so. What good would it bring if it were only going to hurt the girl later had he lied about it?

Sungyeol scoffed. “Still, that’s not the way to break the news to her! You could’ve phrased it better than that!” Sungyeol had wished what he had said would finally reach the older but the scowl on his face had definitely told him otherwise.

“Why would that matter? It’s the hard truth anyway and she still has to accept it sooner or later.” Sungyeol had to sigh at Sunggyu’s painful indifference.

“Seriously, why do I even bother to explain that to that stone cold heart of yours.” Sungyeol had given up; he had so since a year ago when he understood how empty the older had turned out. They kept the silence still around them until the girl suddenly came into their view, her face hinted of the traces of tear strains.

“Sunggyu-ssi.” Her voice was quiet and hoarse, a proof that she had been wringing her eyes out while Sunggyu and Sungyeol had bicker just awhile ago.

“Thank you.” She whispered softly, her pupils dilated as she avoided Sunggyu’s blank stare although a small, resigned smile was apparent on her cracked lips. Sunggyu had to frown at the sudden and unexpected word. He just delivered a blow to her heart, and yet he was earning another thanks from her. Why? Sunggyu just couldn’t comprehend that.

“I’ve long known that my sister is ill, I’ve suspected that. Though I never really thought that it would be that deadly. I thought I was ready to find out, that’s why I came here looking for you. But it turned out that I wasn’t actually that ready. It’s fine though. Now that I know it, I’ll be sure to treasure her more. I’m going to spend more time with her. So that’s why, thank you so much, Sunggyu-ssi, for this chance you gave me. I can at least live with no regrets after this. Thank you.” The explanation was long, the gratitude was evident and the words were so sincere that Sunggyu found himself smiling albeit for a short moment. He didn’t say a word though. He didn't know what to say even if he wanted to. So he just nodded and waved. He had received the message and Sungyeol dared hope that her words would reach Sunggyu today. He wanted the older to know, to learn back what he had forgotten. He missed the old Kim Sunggyu so very much.

 

It was after the poor girl had bowed and left to rush home when Sungyeol finally decided to break the silence hanging aroung them

“So…. Are we going home now?” He asked as he gathered his things into his bag. Sunggyu nodded his head. The sun was setting and he was tired from all the foreseeings he had done for the day. He wished he wouldn't have to see another one that day.The foreseeing might be easy to do, but to cope with every feelings they brought was exhausting. He needed to get away from them, he wanted to forget them even for a brief while. Sunggyu was then reminded of that old rusty music store downtown. The corner of his lips curled into a small smile.

“But before that, let’s drop by the music store.” He mentioned, slinging the strap of his bag over his shoulder as he walked down the stairs beside the younger male.

“I know. Isn’t that what we always do every day?” Both of them chuckled as they walked the short distance.

“Yah, I’ve always wanted to ask. You always frequent that store and always buy a CD every few days no matter old or new. Why is that?” The younger was curious. He had accompanied the other ever since they started high school and he had never missed to grab a CD from the same store. It’d be a lie if he said he had never been curious about it. Yet all Sunggyu did was shrugged his shoulders and smiled, leaving the question unanswered. Sungyeol grunted at the lack of response from the smaller male. He wanted to mope and sulk, wanted to force an answer because surely there was a reason why Sunggyu had refused to answer but the ringing of a phone had stopped him from doing just that. Sungyeol scoffed. Of course.

Sunggyu then fished the gadget out of his pocket and sighed when he saw the caller ID. He pressed the green button anyway.

“Yes?" His answer was polite despite the rolling of eyes he sported. "Ah, another foreseeing?”

What's new with this girl? Sunggyu had thought but remained quiet about it. “What do you want to know this time? Okay, let’s see each other tomorrow. Just bring me some cans of tuna in exchange. Alright, have a nice day, Missha.”

“Cans of tuna? Seriously, Sunggyu?” Sungyeol had rolled his eyes this time. Sunggyu could only chuckle at his judging tone.

“Well, I’m sorry that I actually love eating tuna sandwich.” He laughed.

“If you’re going to charge for the foreseeing, you should’ve go big and demanded money you know. Even better. You can even buy fresh salmon!” Sungyeol exaggerated.

“Dude, money doesn’t last forever.” Sunggyu elbowed the taller's ribs, smirking when he saw the annoyed look etching on the other's face.

“So does cans of tuna.” He retorted and that had Sunggyu laughing out loud this time.

“Point taken.” Sungyeol laughed along. Finally, Sunggyu could take a break from all the exhaustion his life was dumping him.

            They both halted walking at the usual intersection as the light turned red for the pedestrians. His sharp eyes quietly followed the speeding cars, sometimes even trailing at the pedestrians across the road. Sunggyu loved observing, staring, looking. He found it very compelling, fulfilling even as he made out some habits out of these strangers. Like how he was now staring at the elder woman across the street, her hand shaking as she supported herself on the hand stick, engaging in a small talk with a young lad beside her who actually looked disinterested. She probably liked making small conversations. Unfortunately the other lad did not. Poor old lady being ignored.

“Yah.” A jab on his ribs was all it took to tear Sunggyu’s eyes away from the familiar scene in front of him.

“What?” He knitted his eyebrows, disliked being jabbed. Sungyeol’s finger was strangely painful when he did that. Sungyeol immediately pointed out a guy from the other side of the street, eyes and head tilting discreetly as he didn’t exactly plan to be found out staring at a stranger. It didn't take long before Sunggyu understood what the taller had meant to do and so he scanned the crowd in front of him and frowned when he couldn’t locate the pointed guy.

“Which one?”

“The one with the white hoodie, brown hair, sharp features. Handsome.” Sungyeol gladly panned out the details for him. Sunggyu scanned the crowd once again and his eyes finally spotted the right one.

“Totally my type.” Sungyeol added another remark. Sunggyu then took a longer look this time because he just couldn’t seem to see just how could Sungyeol thought that the other was good-looking. Sunggyu thought that he was only average, not exactly attractive either. The guy seemed nervous though. He kept glancing between his wristwatch and the traffic light. He was probably running late for something important. But there was nothing on him that would ignite a spark of attraction that somehow had attracted the Lee Sungyeol - the Lee Sungyeol who had a massive crush on the Kim Myungsoo.

Sunggyu was just about to make a little comment about Sungyeol being wrong and that he wasn’t as handsome as he had made him out to be. But that little hesitance in the guy’s step as he moved forward was suspicious. Sunggyu’s heart almost ripped out of his chest when he noticed how suicidal the handsome guy was when he finally decided to cross the road despite the traffic light still glowing red.

“.” Sunggyu cussed out when he heard the long honk. Yet, before he could even shout to warn the guy, a black car screeched on the road, slowing but not stopping. Everything was too fast yet Sunggyu saw it all. He heard the loud thudding as something solid met the car. He saw a body thrown back, rolling on the road until it stopped meters away, red hot liquid slowly pooling on the tarred ground.

Sunggyu’s breathe hitched as his eyes spotted the lithe and lifeless body. He was a second too late—

“Sunggyu!!” His head snapped back, tears pooling at the brim of his eyes and sweats forming on top of his forehead. His breath was erratic. His heartbeat was rabid.

“Sung—Sungyeol.” His eyes were clear with fear. His body was trembling.

“Yah, Kim Sunggyu!” Sungyeol had called him out again when he never gets the respond he wanted other than the call of his name.

“Yah, did you even listen to what I told you?”

“Wha-what?” Sunggyu was startled. He blinked his glistening eyes, the tears still hanging at the corner of his eyes.

“I just told you about that handsome guy! Where were you? In Paris?” Sungyeol joked. He must have missed the terror in Sunggyu’s eyes as he kept on grinning like a stupid tree.

“Hand-handsome guy..?” Sunggyu repeated quietly until he dreadfully snapped his head back to the direction of the said boy. He let out a breathe of relief when he saw the boy still safe and sound.

It didn’t happen yet. He thought. He was relieved. It didn’t happen yet but it was about damn to when he noticed that unsubtle glance towards the wristwatch and the traffic light from the corner of his eyes. Sunggyu then turned his head to look for the car, and saw it.

That black sporty car. That damned car.

Sunggyu didn’t know what had consumed him at that moment but before he knew it, he had dashed out and onto the road. The traffic light was obviously still glowing red, the black car definitely still approaching and never slowing down; and the unfortunate male was clearly still oblivious to the approaching car and the frantic Sunggyu.

“Yah! Sunggyu!” He had heard Sungyeol’s frenzied voice from the back of his head, he had heard the shouts from the on-lookers but all Sunggyu could see was the oblivious male’s hurried steps as he began crossing the road. Sunggyu hoped he was fast enough. Sunggyu hoped he could run faster. Sunggyu hoped he could reach further. He had hoped, until he saw the look of surprise etching on the other’s sharp feature. The guy had stopped walking in the middle of the street as he stared at Sunggyu, confused. And Sunggyu prayed harder this time so that his legs would run even faster.

Then he heard that long honk again, this time in reality. And everything was a still blur as it all happened so excruciatingly slow. He was so close to the stunned male so Sunggyu extended out his arms to reach him. He pounded all his strength into his arms as he forced the guy out of the way—the boy thrown and landed with force against the tarred road, scrapping his skin with blood oozing out. Sunggyu turned around at the last minute with heavy breathing, only to see a destiny changing.

He heard tyres screeching terribly before sudden pain invaded his head and body. And then came the darkness as it enveloped his world.

“SUNGGYU!!!”