The Eye of Truth

The Eyes (Brought Me To You)

 

It was only a matter of a few words and a little bit of truth. It was only those, yet they changed a lot of things, if not everything. It just changed so many things.

It made him feel too much but also nothing all at the same time; didn’t know what to feel or what to even think. All Sunggyu could hear was Chungha’s words, repeating over and over again in his head, ringing and deafening. She'd told him that they were friends, close childhood friends, but Kim Sunggyu didn't remember that. He didn't remember any of it, didn't remember Nam Woohyun being a part of his life previously. And it hurt. His head hurt, but more so his heart. 

Chungha had only waited then, keeping her silence as she watched Sunggyu’s response carefully. But his look was only blank and empty, as if his mind had stopped processing it all. Refused so, probably. 

Yet, just as the strange twist of their intertwined past had blanked him out, it was also the same Nam Woohyun who’d brought him back. The gears in his head rotating and functioning again the moment said man’s voice had pierced through the heavy silence, finally back from the store.

“Gyu, I’m home!” They both had heard the familiar voice, cheerful and unknowing as the main door pinged to unlock. Sunggyu turned, a displaced twinge of his old hatred somehow surfacing again, making a comeback when he'd seen Woohyun’s innocent smile. He’s being lied to, he’d thought. And just when he’d begin to trust the other too.

Woohyun’s smile though, disappeared just as fast as it had came the moment his eyes had caught sight of his sister, the sister he had missed dearly, the sister he hadn’t seen for almost a year, the sister that had came back to surprise him.

It was only supposed to be a little surprise for their missing little brother. But what they didn’t know was that the surprise that she had brought with her was even bigger than she had intended to—a surprise that's waiting to unravel the box of mystery, the one Sunggyu had long been curious about. The mystery of a Nam Woohyun.

“G-Gyu.” Woohyun had said, voice stuttering and eyes wavered in fear as he tried to gauge the situation. He glanced at his sister for a blind guess, didn’t have to wait for an answer though when Sunggyu had already given it himself when the latter had asked,

“Why didn’t you tell me?” It was merely one simple question but Woohyun felt as if so many things were being asked all at the same time. And it was overloading him, didn’t know what should he even answer when Kim Sunggyu probably already heard of everything. 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” The elder male repeated, his brows creased into a tight knot. Woohyun blinked, swallowed down what was never there to begin with, probably just a demonstration of his tied tongue and fear.

“G-Gyu, I swear I was going to tell you but—“ He tried, but Sunggyu was just a little too impatient, anxious.

“But you didn’t. Why?” The latter asked, voice thicker than before. His eyes were intense, boring a way into Woohyun's and said male just suddenly felt vulnerable under such peeling stare. 

“It’s just a matter of time, Gyu. I just can't seem to find the right time. I’m telling the truth. I swear.“ The younger explained, had taken a few steps closer to grab the other’s hands. But Kim Sunggyu didn’t want any warmth nor comfort right then. He wanted an explanation, a decent and proper one so Sunggyu took a few steps back, guarded. And that subtle rejection was enough to hurt the other, chest throbbing painfully.

Yet, that wasn’t even the worst of it all. The worst had yet to come then, when Sunggyu himself had driven a knife through his heart, his words painful enough to ignite Woohyun’s anger.

“Time, right. So when were you going to say? When I lost another eye?” Sunggyu had spat spiteful, and Nam Woohyun felt his lips twitched, the anger simmering though yet to boil.

“Gyu, you’re misunderstanding—“ Woohyun tried. He really tried to keep his misplaced anger at bay, but how could he when the elder male kept attacking him when he wouldn’t even listen.

“I trusted you, Woohyun!” Sunggyu shouted, orbs already glossed with unshed tears that Woohyun had failed to see behind his anger-shrouded eyes.

“Was it so important to know that?!” The younger screamed back, and it caught them by surprise. Woohyun rarely gets mad, what more to the point of raising his voice. It was a rare sight that it caught Sunggyu unguarded, took him a few seconds long before he realised how ridiculous Woohyun’s question was.

“Was it so important, you asked?” Sunggyu scoffed, disbelieved. “Wooyun, we went to freaking Jeonju together and you never say a word. I knew you were acting differently then but I couldn’t ask  because I didn’t think it was my place. And now it all just made sense! We had a moment of childhood together and I couldn’t even remember! And you were asking me if it’s so important? Are you kidding with me?” Sunggyu said, voice loudly hurt and it was then when Woohyun finally noticed the tears shedding through, like a stream of water with a broken dam.

“Gyu, I—I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to—“

“No.” Sunggyu scoffed again, blindly rubbed those tears away with the hem of his sleeve. He lifted his head, downcast eyes then traded for a hard glare.

“You knew I ing lost my eye, you knew how much I hate not knowing about the future, my future. You knew how much I’m scared of uncertainties, of the unknown. And knowing that I had one ing childhood that I’d somehow forgotten? You freaking think that it’s not so important for me to find out?”

“Listen, Gyu—“ Woohyun desperately wanted to explain, but what else could he say? Sunggyu already knew it all. He already knew it all so why was Sunggyu asking him the one question that he’d already known the answer?

“What else are you hiding from me anyway, Woohyun?” He heard Sunggyu questioned, distrust and doubt layering the words and Woohyun couldn’t help but feel flustered.

“What?” Was all the response he could give, obviously baffled. 

“I know there’s more, Nam Woohyun. There has to be more.” The other stressed, instinct strong enough to tell that it wasn't the only secret that the younger had been hiding.

“What are you talking about? You’ve heard everything from Chungha. I don’t have anything more to hide. I swear—“ Woohyun clarified, shaking his head, eyebrows furrowing in puzzlement. 

“No, I don’t believe you. ing tell me if it has anything to do with me, Woohyun.” Kim Sunggyu knew he was far beyond rude, but the fury and the rage was throwing any rationality away. Kim Sunggyu just didn't have the heart to care right at that moment.

“No, I’m serious, Gyu! I don’t have anything more to hide! Everything that she told you is all there is! She already told you about our past, about my eye! What else can I hide from you?!” Woohyun replied vexed, fingers brushing through his hair and a dull throb making his head hurt. It was the brief interlude that tipped him off, a red flag waving in his mind when he saw Sunggyu's thrown look.

“W-what did you say?” The latter responded, eyelashes flattering as he let the words sink.

“. You didn’t know.” The younger muttered, swiped a palm across his face frustrated.

“I didn’t know what, Woohyun?” Sunggyu repeated, waiting for the explanation.

“You didn’t tell him.” Woohyun had said instead, eyes looking over his sister before Sunggyu’s words pulled him back immediately.

“What do you mean your eye? What’s wrong with your eye?” The younger shook his head.

“Nothing, nothing’s wrong, Gyu.” He said but Sunggyu wasn't going to let it go. He wanted to know the truth.

“No, you’re lying. Tell me, Woohyun. What about your eye?" He asked again, urging and insistent.

“It’s, it’s nothing, Gyu. Please, let’s just drop this topic.” Woohyun had almost begged. It wasn't supposed to go this way. It really wasn't. He wanted to explain, wanted to tell the other their painful story but not like this. Not when they were both shrouded with anger and distrust. Not when it's a story that should be told when they're ready. Just not like this. 

But it wasn't easy to do that. Not when the other just wouldn't listen, too insistent and too angry to actually listen.

“Just tell me, Woohyun!” The elder male insisted again, voice louder than before and Woohyun was just so close to snap then.

“It’s really nothing, Sunggyu!” He raised his voice.

“Then why can’t you just tell me if it’s nothing?!”

“Because I don’t know how to tell you! Okay? I don’t know how to tell you and I wanted to, but I just don’t know how! Why won’t you just understand?” His voice wavered at the end, a quiet sob followed through as he rubbed the heel of his palms over his watery eyes.

“What is it? What are you not telling me?" Sunggyu asked. "Woohyun, why is it so difficult to tell me?” The elder had begged instead, his hard tone had already softened to a morose plea.

“Then you tell me. How am I supposed to tell you?” His voice was low and weak as he spoke, eyes downcast.

Sunggyu tilted his head, frowning and waiting patiently for once. He was dying to know, whatever the secret was.

“How am I supposed to tell you that you’re not the only one with The Eye, Sunggyu? How do I tell that to you when you’ve lost yours? How do I tell you that when that Eye was a long curse to me? How, Sunggyu? Just how?" Woohyun let his thoughts out loud, tears already running down his wet cheeks.

“Wait, Sunggyu lost his Eye?” Chungha’s voice suddenly rung through the silence instead, was only left unanswered while Sunggyu’s eyes had only flattered, confused and baffled. It was a moment later when the latter finally found his voice back.

“You, Woohyun, you have, the Eye? And you never tell me?” He asked, chest constricting in a painful, dull throb.

"I--" Said male paused, only then realising just what he had spewed. Out loud. “. That’s, that’s not how I’m supposed to tell you. Good grief, I ing messed up again. Sunggyu, I—”

“And you never thought about telling me that, all these while? So you’ve been laughing at me, behind my back for being so worthless without it? You’re basically toying with me, aren’t you?” Sunggyu scoffed, bristled.

“No! No!! That’s not it! It’s not like that. Please, listen to me, Gyu. My Eye is different. It’s not the same, it’s not—“

“I’m being toyed with.” Sunggyu had laughed instead, bitter and awfully hurt.

“Please, listen to me, Gyu,”

“I’m just so ing stupid.” He told himself, shook his head and took a step back.

“No, Gyu—“

“I’m going.”

“Wait, Gyu! You have to listen!”

“I'm ing leaving, Woohyun. Don’t you ing follow me. And don’t look for me either. I don’t want to see your face. Ever.” The elder male had said in between his gritted teeth, eyes glaring angrily and chest heaving shallowly as he tried holding his anger back from exploding. And with that, Sunggyu put his shoes back on and just slammed the door close. 

Not once did he turn to see if the other male was following him or not, the anger he'd felt was too suffocating for him to even think straight. His legs swung as fast as he could, only let them lead him to wherever they would bring him. All the loud noises around him was dimmed to a hazy background, the one remaining eye he had had only focused ahead, watching the street but not processing them at all. 

It was all just a blur of everything, was too clouded by anger and confusion, that he had failed to see the oncoming SUV as he crossed a mild street. His hazy, selective hearing failed to recognise a familiar shout not too far from him. He was all too vulnerable, didn't even realise that his life was once again at stake as he let his legs lead him away. 

"Sunggyu!" He'd barely heard the other, before he felt a strong, harsh tug against his arm. His brain refused to understand what it all had meant but he could feel his body being tugged and twirled around, felt familiar arms winding around him, heard a long deafening honk ringing so loud, he wondered if the sound was just that close to him. In just a few seconds, probably lesser, Kim Sunggyu felt his body glide through, his feet swept off the ground, just as a loud thud shot a sharp, stinging pain down his head to his neck.

 

Before he knew it, his whole world had turned dark.

 

And then, he was there.

 


Hi! I hope you read this! But yeay, here it is! Another chapter to answer (some of) your questions! 

I know, it's a little too short for such a long wait. But it's just a teaser, to tell you that I'm not abandoning this story and also just a short teaser for the upcoming long chapter. And a hint: it's probably the last one. (yeayyy, but it's still in the making, so)

I'd like to thank a few of my loyal readers (you know who you are). Thank you for always coming back here to comment, to encourage me to update. It's been a busy and depressing year for me, but I'm graduating soon! And writer's block big time. And your comments really pushed me through! Thankyou again! 

Please do comment on what you think is happening! It won't be such a long wait before you'll understand.