Chapter 9

Maknae Musings

 

Onew led the way into the hospital room, Jonghyun and Key shuffling behind him. Key was sobbing quietly into Jonghyun's shoulder and the older boy tried to comfort his friend with comforting words, hugs and other small gestures.

Onew bit his lip and tried to ignore the sounds of crying and the pain on the two band member's faces.

He hung his head as he opened the wooden door.

This is all my fault…I could have taken them to school or-or walked with them! Something! They didn't deserve this…

He felt his eyes mist again and the felt tears run down his face when he saw two familiar people at the edge of the bed.

Onew's gaze traveled to Taemin's mother and father, then to Minho. Taemin's father was talking quietly to Minho, saying what sounded like reassuring words and thanks for looking out for Taemin all these years. Their maknae's mother held Minho's hand in her's, tears running down her face.

Minho wouldn't look Taemin's father in the eye, only nodding sadly.

It wasn't long before they noticed the three band members walk in.

Onew bowed before Taemin's parents, Jonghyun and Key doing the same after him.

He had only met them once or twice, but they were good people. He felt they needed to be shown respect.

They bowed back and muttered a greeting.

Minho coughed awkwardly as the tension in the air increased and the silence became too intense.

His cough brought Jonghyun back to earth first.

"Minho-ah…the doctor said you could get up and walk around the hospital if you wanted…" The second-oldest said quietly.

Key nodded, rubbing at his eyes.

"We've g-got to s-s-show you something." Key gulped and buried his face in Jonghyun's shoulder again.

Minho nodded and quietly excused himself to Taemin's parents, then rose to follow his hyungs out the door after they all bowed and said their goodbyes to Taemin's family.

Onew wrapped an arm around Minho's shoulders as they walked, Jonghyun doing the same for Key whose sobs were turning into small hiccups.

"Where are we going…?" Minho asked quietly, his breathing becoming labored.

Onew slowed their pace, noticing Minho's pronounced limp.

"You'll see…" Onew's arm tightened around Minho's shoulder and he bit his lip.

"What room number is it? " Jonghyun asked, he and Key catching up to them.

Key answered before Onew could even open his mouth.

"Room 192 on the third floor, " He sniffed, wiping his eyes on his coat sleeve.

Jonghyun patted his back and tussled his hair, sadness clear in his eyes as he tried to whisper more encouraging words.

Minho could feel his temper rising. He wanted to know what was going on! He was still having trouble matching everyone's faces with their names…he knew that they all belonged in a group called SHINee, that they were all really close friends, that he was the second-youngest and that Onew-hyung was the oldest and the leader. He didn't know who the oldest was between Key and Jonghyun or who the youngest member of their group was. He just knew that he was the blonde-haired boy whose face haunted his memory, taunting him.

His hyungs hadn't mentioned the accident or spoken about the blonde-haired boy in front of him.

He had so many questions and not enough answers.

"Minho, are you okay?" A gentle voice asked and Minho looked up to see Key looking at him, concern in his eyes. Key fixed Minho's hair, running his fingers through the messy long, locks, his eyebrows coming together in a frown.

"So messy!" Key huffed under his breath, talking about Minho's hair.

Minho nodded in response to Key's earlier question, recognizing the older boy. He didn't want to worry his group members, they were going through enough as it was.

He looked around, realizing that they had come into an elevator while he was thinking. Jonghyun and Onew were talking quietly in the corner, glancing at him occasionally.

Key held his hand tightly, offering silent comfort.

Minho lowered his head, not wanting to meet the concerned gazes of his friends.

"You're mad at yourself for not remembering anything…aren't you? " Key suddenly asked, surprising Minho.

Minho looked up at him, staring at him in confusion and suspicion before slowly nodding. Key had maintained a blank expression, staring at the wall absently, as Minho stared at him, but now, after seeing Minho nod slightly from the corner of his eye, the blank façade shattered.

"Oh Minho…It's not your fault…" Key sighed, pulling the younger boy into a large hug. Minho's arms hung limply by his side, his head buried in Key's shoulder.

It is my fault…I could have saved him…I should have looked before crossing the street…

He was hardly aware of the elevator stopping, them getting out or walking down the hall.

A gentle ruffling of his hair from Jonghyun got his attention back and he looked at his hyung, who was trying to grin at him. The result looked more like a grimace.

They reached a door with the numbers 192 in gold, and Onew glanced at the three of them before opening the door slowly.

What Minho saw inside made him gasp.

He felt his legs go weak and felt a tear run down his cheek, quickly followed by another as memories rushed into his head.

"Taemin…" He croaked.