Chapter 11

Maknae Musings

 

That's how Onew found them a couple minutes later, sitting on the floor with shattered glass around them, cutting into their hands and their knees, holding one another. Both were still crying hard as they tried to comfort the other with softly spoken words.

He felt his heart break all over again and suddenly he didn't know what to do.

He had always known what to do. He always knew what to say to cheer one of his boys up, what random act of hilarity to perform, when they needed a hug or when they needed a shoulder to cry on.

He always knew. It was like he could read their minds and know just when they needed him. They always did the same for him too.

But seeing Jonghyun and Key finally break down…he wasn't sure he could do anything to help them.

He felt his eyes water and he quickly ran to his dongsaengs, gathering them both up in his arms.

"Hyung…"Jonghyun whispered, holding on to Onew as if he were a lifeline.

"I'm here, guys, I'm here. We're going to get through this, I promise."

He heard Key sniff, and felt the younger's hand bunch up the front of his shirt.

"How can you be so sure, hyung?"

Onew almost smiled.

"Because we are SHINee." He answered. Jonghyun and Key looked up at him with curious eyes.

This time he did smile. He let go of Key for a second to hold up his arm, his hand curled in a fist and his eyes bright.

"Fighting."

Jonghyun grinned, color and light returning to his eyes – something Onew hadn't seen since the accident in anyone's eyes - and copied his actions.

"Fighting." He echoed.

"Fighting…"Key repeated quietly, a small smile on his face as well.