Chapter 3

Maknae Musings

The truck hit them both head on, sending Taemin flying from Minho's arms and Minho skidding across the road.

His vision blackened and he could feel blood gushing down his head, he felt a rib crack as it collided with the road and his head slam into the asphalt.

Taemin lay a few feet away, unmoving.

"Tae – " Minho whispered, wincing in pain as he reached for his maknae.

His hand fell short, just inches away from Taemin's blonde hair.

He forced himself to move, to crawl to Taemin's side.

The effort it took was horrendous and so was the pain, but with sheer willpower, he got there.

He draped himself over Taemin's body and wrapped his arms around him, feeling tears run down his cheeks.

"Taemin." He sobbed. "Don't die. Don't be dead. You can't…you can't die on me."

He ignored the people yelling and screaming, ignored the press taking photos, ignored the cameras rolling and ignored the ambulance and police sirens that were in the distance. All that mattered was Taemin.

He wanted to keep his eyes open, to see if Taemin was all right, but his eyes closed against his will and was encased in black.


Onew threw on his coat and slipped into his shoes, humming to himself.

Minho and Taemin were off at school; Key at the market and Jonghyun out practicing.

He had a whole day to himself and he planned to spend it peacefully. He was going to go walk around the lake and he would figure out what he would want to do after that, when he got there.

Maybe I'll go buy some chicken and eat it at a park…Onew smiled.

He decided he liked the sound of that.

He was nearly out the door when the phone rang, making him groan inwardly.

He sighed, knowing it wouldn't be anything important. His band mates, family, manager and their friends from other bands always called their cell phones. Usually the only people that called their dorm were fans who somehow managed to keep getting their number.

He took off his shoes and tossed his car keys onto the kitchen table.

He picked up the phone when he got into the living room, which was a room away from the kitchen.

"Hello?" He asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice.

Can't a guy go for a walk around here?

"Is this Lee Jinki?" A deep male voice accustomed to revealing bad news said.

Onew froze.

Only his family called him by his real name, not even his fellow band members, which were like sons to him, called him by his real name.

"…Yes." He said slowly, suspicion and caution in his voice.

The man on the other end of the line sighed.

"I'm afraid I have bad news."