Chapter 6

Maknae Musings

 

It had begun raining while he had been reminiscing. For the moment it wasn't coming down very hard and for that he was grateful. It felt like the rain was matching his sorrowful emotions…

He resumed walking, lost in his thoughts, the rain coming down harder. His hair and clothes had already become soaked and were beginning to stick to his body. The raindrops ran down his face like tears and he blinked, trying to keep the water from his hair dripping into his eyes and to clear away the real tears that threatened to pour down his face.

He suddenly froze when he saw the store that had once held the bear Taemin had wanted but refused to let him buy.

He ran over to the window and peered inside, his hands pressing up against the window desperately. His breath hitched and his throat constricted, his heart started pounding rapidly against his rib cage.

Sure enough, there it was.

The bear.

It was sitting in the corner of the window, it's head drooping and it's big, black, buttoned eyes reflecting Jonghyun's sorry reflection.

Jonghyun stared at the reflection in it's eyes.

He looked like a broken man.

His eyes were red from holding in tears, his hair was a mess and plastered to his skull, the white t-shirt under his leather coat stuck to his skin, the rain dripped from his hair and traced his jawline to meet at his chin where it dripped down to the ground. The desperate and sad look in his eyes was enough to show him how much the accident with Minho and Taemin had changed him, had changed all of them.

Key cried himself to sleep every night. Onew continued to blame himself for the accident even when everyone tried to tell him that it wasn't his fault. Minho couldn't remember anything and was beating himself up about it…

Once they had all been happy. They were famous all around the world, they were young, they had a lot of money, they were good-looking, they were amazing singers and dancers, millions, if not billions, of people adored them…

They had been living a dream.

That was until the accident changed it all.

Their fans and their status hadn't changed. Millions of people still loved them, they were still great singers and dancers, they still had a lot of money and they were all still young but…with Taemin…

They would never truly be the same again, not after this accident. Even if Minho recovered it still wouldn't be the same. Their maknae had brought life to their group, gave them hope, energy and always persuaded them to continue to live their dream even if it was hard. He never gave up.

But the rest of us are…

Their manager had canceled all their schedules, to give them time off and time to recoup from the accident. They've had nothing to do but blame themselves and mope around the house, trying to find something to do that would raise all their spirits. Jonghyun had actually wished that their manager hadn't canceled their practices because it would have given them something to do to keep their minds off Minho and Taemin.

They visited the hospital every day and ended up spending most of their time there, but it still wasn't enough.

The only one still holding a little hope was Jonghyun and that was becoming less and less as each day passed by.

The others had completely given up.

I'm not about to let Taemin down…I can't give up…

Jonghyun focused his eyes on the bear again and suddenly knew what he had to do.

He raced into the shop, ignoring the startled cries of surprise from the customers and employees.

Kim Jonghyun from SHINee was in their store.

Jonghyun bowed slightly to the lady working behind the counter and muttered a hello, gave a small wave and a sad smile to the squealing girls in the corner of the store, and made his way over to the bear.

He wrapped his arms around the big toy and carried it over to the counter, holding the bear in a large hug and refusing to let it go.

Taemin…

He spotted a very familiar drink towards the side of the store and asked the clerk to wait a second. He released the bear and raced towards the refrigerator to grab a dozen cartons of banana milk, Taemin's favorite drink, smiling the whole way.

He spotted a bunch of snacks too and picked them up, picking out everyone's favorite.

Maybe he could improve the mood of his friends.

He placed the items on the counter and waited as the lady rung up the prices.