Chapter 8

Maknae Musings

 

Jonghyun stopped in front of the hospital, an ice-cream cone, courtesy of Changmin, in one hand, the bear and the bag of snacks in the other. The snacks were looped around his wrist and the bear was being held under his arm, pressed up tightly against the singer's side.

He was certainly in a much better mood after Changmin had taken him out for ice-cream and a bite to eat. The older boy's humor and good mood had freed him from his sorrow temporarily.

"Jonghyun!"

Jonghyun looked over towards the sound of a familiar voice, smiling.

"Onew!" He waved, the movement awkward with his hands so full.

"Where have you been?" SHINee's leader asked, jogging over to him. "And…what is that?"

Jonghyun followed his hyung's finger.

"Oh. I-It's a bear…"

Onew smiled.

"Aren't you a little too old to be playing with toys?"

The question hit Jonghyun like a wave, squeezing the air from his lungs.

Taemin-ah, aren't you a little too big to be playing with toys?

Jonghyun bit his lip and squeezed his eyes shut, turning away from Onew.

"Jong? Are you okay? " Onew asked in concern, placing a hand on Jonghyun's shoulder.

Jonghyun nodded quickly.

"Fine. " He tried to reassure the older boy. "Let's get inside, " He added hastily. "I've brought snacks for everyone…and I don't want my ice cream to melt. "

Onew nodded slowly, concern still written on his face.

"Let me help…" He murmured, reaching for the bear.

Jonghyun shook his head, his jaw clenched.

"No! Um…s-sorry…I want to carry the bear…could you carry these please?" Jonghyun bit his lip again and handed his hyung the bag containing the snacks he brought.

Onew's face brightened when he saw the candy and banana milks inside.

"Mmm…I'll buy chicken too! That'll improve everyone's mood too! "

Jonghyun grinned.

Hyung, is chicken all you think about? And are you sure chicken with Taemin's face on the cover will improve everyone's mood? It may help Minho remember him but…

Jonghyun shrugged and followed their leader inside.

At least it would improve Onew's mood.

He laughed when Onew tripped going up the stairs and quickly did a pushup, acting like that was what he was doing.

He glanced at Jonghyun.

"1..2..3!"

Jonghyun laughed again.

"Hyung! You probably just broke all the candy!"

"Nooo~!"Onew stood up and dusted himself off before making sure the candy was in one piece. "See?" Onew shoved the bag towards Jonghyun who rolled his eyes with a smile.

I'm glad he's in a good mood today...he's acting like his old self again. See what candy can do to a person? ...Or maybe it was the chicken?