Eight

My Leading Lady

The next day when I awoke, Sun Hwa was already awake and for the first time I smelled the aroma of food filling the bedroom. Usually, when I'm awoken by my alarm clock, I would feel tired and frustrated, but today I woke up knowing that Sun Hwa was still with me. She hasn't said anything yet about my confession, but I'm still happy that she was still with me.

I headed downstairs and a plate of waffles topped with two strawberries and whipped cream was awaiting me.

“Did you make this,” I asked.

She turned around and when she saw me she smiled.

“Yeah. I wanted waffles this morning so I made it. Hope you like it.”

I sat down at the table and started to eat.

“Mmm. Not bad. But next time use a little less whip cream,” I said.

“Is it too sweet,” she asked coming to sit down in front of hers.

“Just a little.”

“I guess you don't like eating sweets.”

“I do. But I just don't eat a lot of it.”

“I'll remember that.”

I left for work, after I finished breakfast. When at the office, my concentration was the best. I don't know what it was, but I think it's because of Sun Hwa. She even started packing lunch for me again.

“Sir, you have a guest,” my secretary said over the phone speakers.

“Who is it?”

“She didn't give a name.”

“Tell her I'm busy.”

There was a pause.

“Han Sun Hwa is her name,” my secretary said.

Sun Hwa!

“Tell her to come in.”

“Yes, sir.”

The door opened after a short while and Sun Hwa came in. She was wearing what I first saw her in and boy was she beautiful.

“Sorry for bothering you,” she said.

“Did you need something,” I asked. “Come in.”

“No,” she said walking in. “I came to give you dinner.”

She showed me a lunch box that she was holding.

“Come sit.”

She walked to the chair that was in front of my desk, but she didn't sit.

“It's okay. I just came to give you dinner. I'll be leaving,” she said as she set the lunch box on my desk.

“Why don't you join me?”

“But you said you were busy.”

“I only said that because I thought you were someone else. Join me?”

She looked at me and at the lunch box and then at me. She sat down and I smiled.

“What did you pack me?”

She opened the lunch box and revealed some pinwheels of something.

“What is this,” I asked.

“Pinwheel sandwich. I also packed bell peppers and celery and water for you.”

“Thank you.”

I grabbed one of the pinwheels and took a bite out of it.

“Not bad. It is a little salty though,” I said.

“Really?”

“But it's okay. I like it.”

She smiled.

“Did you eat,” I asked her.

“I was planning to eat when I get home.”

“Eat with me.”

“Oh no, I only packed enough for you.”

“That's okay. I'll be more full if you ate with me.”

“Then I'll just eat one pinwheel,” she said taking the smallest one.

“Take another one.”

“This is enough. I can go home and eat more.”

“You took such a tiny one. Take a bigger one. If you don't I won't let you go home.”

“Fine.” She took another one and ate the both of them.

Her cheeks were like a squirrels when they shoved nuts into their mouths. I laughed and she looked at me weird.

“What,” she muttered with full.

“You look cute like that.”

I took out my phone and took her picture.

“Hey!”

“What? I'm just taking your picture.”

“Not like this!”

She reached over, but I moved my phone away from her.

“Let me keep this one picture. I won't take any other more without your permission, I promise you.”

“Fine.”

She swallowed and her cheeks went to normal.

When I was done eating, Sun Hwa packed up and asked me if I ate lunch.

“I did. Finished every last piece of it.”

I showed her the lunch box and she took it.

“I'll see you at home. Actually I don't think I will. I'll be sleeping.”

“I’ll see you at home.”

“Bye.”

“Wait, how did you get here?”

“I took a taxi here.”

“How did you know the address?”

“I did some research on you.”

“You researched me?”

“I know it sounds weird, but I wasn't trying to look up your past. I was just trying to find the address of this place.”

“Well? Did you find anything interesting about me?”

“You never had a girlfriend before. At least, that's what the Internet said. I know you and Young Ji were dating you just didn't announce it.”

“I've dated a couple girls, but they never worked out.”

She nodded her head. “I should get going then.”

“Should I drive you home?”

“No. I'll call a taxi. Keep working. I'll see you at home.”

“Okay.”

She waved at me and I waved back. She left and I went back to work.

When I got home, the house was quiet but warm. I headed upstairs and quietly opened my bedroom door. There she was sleeping so soundly. She looked like an angel sent from above. She was sleeping in the dark. Maybe her phobia of being scared of the dark has been cured.

I set my briefcase down and headed over to the closet. I took out my pajamas and headed to the bathroom. I took a shower and wore my pajamas and went to bed.

I awoke in the middle of the night, around five, and looked around the room. Sun Hwa was still soundly sleeping. She looked so cute. Maybe I should let her sleep in today. She always wake up so early to make me breakfast. I wonder if she wakes up early naturally or if she uses an alarm. I haven't heard any go off but mine. I looked around and saw her phone on the nightstand. I took it and opened her phone. Surprisingly, she didn't have a password and she did wake up by an alarm. I turned off the alarm and went through her photos. There was one of her at beach. She was in a oversized white shirt and shorts. Her hair was in one of those circle thingy. I smiled and swiped to the next picture. In this one, she was with an older man and older woman. They were both of different race from her, but she looked so happy. Her smile was bright and wide and her foster parents looked happy too. They may not be related by blood, but I can tell that they were happy as a family. I swiped to see the other pictures. There were a lot of selfies and her parents and some of her with her friends. The one I liked best was of her wearing a purple dress. She was also wearing a sun hat and her hair was braided and put to the right side of her shoulder. She was sitting down and holding a hamburger. She had ketchup all over her lips and laughing. Whatever she was doing, she was happy. I sent the picture to my phone and set it as my wallpaper. I finally set her phone back to where I got it and fell asleep again.

“Jin Young! Jung Jin Young, wake up!”

I opened my eyes and saw Sun Hwa shaking me.

“What,” I asked in my morning voice.

“You're late for work! I overslept and couldn't make breakfast for you. Wake up!”

I groaned and turned over.

“Jung Jin Young!”

I turned around and pulled her down.

“Jin Young. What are you doing?”

I held her tightly in my arms.

“Can we just sleep for the whole day,” I asked.

My eyes were still closed and I mumbled everything.

“Why? You're late for work. Get up.”

“I don't have work today. I want to sleep.”

“You don't have work?”

“Mmm. You sleep too. Let's sleep for the whole day today.”

“You turned off my alarm?”

“Mmm.”

She hit my arm.

“Ouch!”

I was now awake.

“Did I give you permission to touch my phone,” she asked angry.

“No. But I wanted you to sleep in.”

“You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“I'm sorry,” I said closing my eyes again. “I want to sleep some more,” I said letting her go.

“Okay.”

I listened to see if she was going to get up and leave but she didn't. I opened my eyes and saw that she was still lying there.

“What,” I asked her.

She was staring at me.

“Nothing. I was just admiring you.”

“Really? Am I that handsome?”

She laughed. “You are,” she said. “Actually the most handsome man I've ever set my eyes on.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

An awkward silence ate us.

“Are you going to keep staying there,” I asked.

She nodded her head and I scooted closer to her. I pulled her into my arms and held her tightly.

“Honestly, I've always wanted to do this,” I said. “I know it sounds weird.”

“You're weird all together so I'll let it slide.”

She buried her face into my chest and I covered her with the blankets.

I loved this feeling. The feeling of being warmed and the feeling of having someone by my side. I wish this could last forever.

 

I was in an open field sitting up against a tree. My eyes were closed and I was listening as the wind blew making the leaves dance.

“Jung Jin Young.”

I opened my eyes and saw Sun Hwa kneeling in front of me. She was wearing a white dress with blue polka dots and her hair was curled.

“What are you doing here,” I asked.

“I wanted to say: I love you.”

“What? I didn't hear you correctly.”

“I love you,” she said with a smile.

I smiled back and stood up. She followed along. I pulled her into my arms and hugged her. I spun her around making her laugh.

This was the best day ever.

I stopped and set her down. She got onto her tippy toes and kissed me. I closed my eyes and kissed her back. When I opened my eyes again I was in my room. I looked around and Sun Hwa wasn't by my side anymore. I sat up and yawned before I went to the bathroom to wash up. Then, I came back to my room and switched into the clothes that she got me and I headed downstairs. I went to the kitchen and saw Sun Hwa standing in front of the stove. I walked over to her and stood by her side.

“Morning,” I said.

“Good morning.”

“When did you wake up?”

“About ten minutes ago. I thought you were going to sleep for the whole day.”

“I was planning to. But when I woke up, I couldn't go back to sleep.”

She laughed.

“Scrambled eggs?”

“With toast.”

“Sounds good. Did you need help? I'll make the toast.”

“The bread is in the toaster already.”

“Than I'll go get the plates.”

“Sure.”

I went to the cabinets and took out four plates. I set them on the table and took out two sets of forks and spoons and placed them beside the plates.

“This is good,” I said. “It's not too salty and not too plain.”

“Thank you.”

“And the toast is perfect.”

“Thank you. I wasn't sure if you were going to like it or not.”

“This is perfect.”

“I'm glad you like it.”

“Sun Hwa, when you were in the United States, did you have your licence?”

“Mhm.” She took a sip of her milk. “I have my licence.”

“Then you can drive.”

“Of course. I just don't have a car.”

“You want to drive today?”

“Whose car?”

“My car.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. We can go out during lunch time. I want to take you to that soup shop I told you before.”

“Really?”

Her face lit up.

“Yeah.”

“Great! I've been craving some grilled cheese and tomato soup lately.”

She stood up and came over to hug me.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Are you that happy?”

She nodded her head and I smiled.

After breakfast, Sun Hwa was washing the dishes while I dried them and putted them away.

“Is there anything you want to do before we go,” I asked.

“I want to wipe down the tables first and sweep. If we have time, then I want to clean the bathroom.

“I'll help you,” I said.

“You don't have to. You said you wanted to rest.”

“It's okay. I'll rest later.”

Actually, when I see you, I'm already well rested.

“Okay. If you insist.”

We worked together and before we knew it the tasks were getting done one by one. We even had time to unpack her luggage and mop the house.

When lunchtime rolled around, Sun Hwa and I both got ready to go out. Like always, she was stunning. She was wearing a pink dress with pink flats and her hair was braided to her right side of her shoulder. At the end of her braid, she had put a pink bow..

“Here,” I said giving her the keys.

“I will try my best not to kill us,” she said walking away.

“What does that supposed to mean,” I asked following her.

“I haven't drove a car for awhile.”

“You'll do fine. Have some faith in you self.”

I closed the door behind me and got into the car.

“Seatbelts,” she said.

“Got it.”

“Here we go,” she said starting the engine than backed up. “So where is this soup shop?”

“Keep driving and I'll tell you the directions.”

She drove smoothly and safely took us to to the soup shop. When we gave our orders, she ordered grilled cheese and tomato soup like she said before and I ordered the cream of potato soup. To my surprise, it wasn't half bad. When Sun Hwa took a bite out of the grilled cheese she hummed.

“I miss this so much,” she said.

She stuck the sandwich into the tomato soup and took another bite.

“Is it okay if I ordered another grilled cheese,” she asked me. “I'll pay.”

“Go ahead. I'll pay.”

“Thank you,” she said smiling brightly.

When her second grilled cheese came, her face lit up and she dipped the sandwich into the soup again.

“So good,” she said. “You want to try,” she asked me.

“Sure. You make it look very good.”

She ripped off a piece and dipped it into the soup and gave it to me.

“Ahh,” she said.

I smiled and opened my mouth. She placed the sandwich into my mouth and retrieved her hand.

“How is it,” she asked me.

I chewed and let the flavors sinked into my taste buds.

“This isn't half bad,” I said.

“See! Want another bite?”

I nodded my head and she fed me again.

“Want to taste mine,” I asked.

“Yes! I wonder if it tastes like the one back home.”

I gave her my bowl and spoon and she took a small sip of the soup. When she did so one thing popped into my head: we just had an indirect kiss.

“Not bad. But I like the one at home better.”

“What's the difference?”

“This is too bland for me. I think it could use more salt.

She took another bite and gave it back to me.

“Want more of mine,” she asked.

“No thank you.”

She smiled and continued to eat hers. The smile on her face made me so happy. I'm glad I can put a smile on her face.

When we went to pay for the bills, Sun Hwa insisted on paying since she bought two grilled cheese, but I also insisted. Finally, I told her that something was happening outside and she turned her head to look out the window.

“I don’t see anything,” she said.

I quickly paid, I didn’t even stay for the change, and took her hand before I pulled her out of the restaurant.

“What was that,” she asked, “did you pay for it?”

“You can pay next time.” I opened my palm. “Give me the keys.”

She handed them to me and I pulled her to the car.

“Are we going home,” she asked.

“I’m taking you out on a date.”

“What?”

I opened the passenger door for her.

“Where are we going,” she asked.

“It’s a surprise.”

She looked at me suspicious, but still got into the car. I ran to the drivers side, put on my seatbelt, and drove off. When we got to our destination, I parked the car and we both got out of the car.

“This is where you wanted to take me,” she asked.

I grabbed her hand and started pulling her along with me.

“Jin Young,” she said stopping me. “Let’s go somewhere else.”

“Why? You don’t want to ride on the rides?”

“No. That’s not it.”

“Then come on.”

I pulled her along. The first ride we went to was the rollar coaster. While we were on it, Sun Hwa was screaming and squeezing my hand. I was doing the same thing, but it was because I was having fun. Sun Hwa was probably scared out of her mind. We then went on the go carts and I don’t know how many times, but Sun Hwa bumped into me. She bumped into me so much that I thought my cart was going to break. After that, we went on the merry go round. We were the only adults, but who cared right? Sun Hwa and I were having a great time together and that’s all that mattered.

When the time five, we headed to our car.

“Are you hungry,” I asked her.

“I am.”

“Is there anything you want to eat?”

“You know those food trucks? I want to try some of those foods. Oh! And those night markets! I want to go there and try the foods there.”

“Okay. I’ll take you there.”

We walked around the night markets when the sun was going to set. But we weren’t the only ones there. There were many people there already.

When Sun Hwa saw a lobster, she pointed at it and gasped. She couldn’t believe the lobster was still alive. We walked over to the store and she looked at it very closely.

“Sun Hwa, watch this,” I said.

I stuck my hand into the tank and pulled out the lobster. I slowly moved it towards Sun Hwa and she screamed.

“Get it away from me!”

I laughed and she laughed. I put the lobster back and we both went on our merry way.

“Oh!! I want to try that,” she said pointing to a food stall.

“Let’s go. Two please,” I told the lady.

She handed me two sticks of twisted potato.

“Thank you,” Sun Hwa and I both said.

She took a bite and blew out a breath.

“Hot,” she said. “But very good.”

I laughed and we stood there and ate until we were full.

When we got done looking at the stores, it was nearly dark. We were both heading to our car, but I was looking down at my phone. I wanted to see if any good movies were playing tonight and luckily I found one.

“Sun Hwa, do you like eating popcorn while watching movies,” I asked her while driving down the highway.

“I do.”

I nodded my head.

“Why do you ask,” she asked me.

“Just wondering.”

When we were at the theater, I went and bought popcorn and soda. I, then, parked my car in front of a big screen and turned off the engine.

“Is this why you asked me if I liked to eat popcorn,” Sun Hwa asked me.

“I wanted it to be a surprise.”

The movie started playing and our attention diverted to the screen. I took secret glances at Sun Hwa once in awhile. Every time I did, she was eating popcorn and watching the movie. I rested my elbow on the armrest. I smiled and looked at the screen. My eyes were there, but my attention was with Sun Hwa. Even when the movie ended, I had no idea what the movie was about.

“That time when he took that bullet for her was so sweet,” Sun Hwa said.

I was driving down the highway heading home.

“But my favorite scene was at the end. I really like that twist. Who knew that he was already dead,” she added on. “What was your favorite part?”

“Me?”

“Yeah you.”

“Honestly, I have no idea what happened.”

“What? How could you not know what happened? You watched it with me.”

“My eyes were on the screen, but my attention was elsewhere.”

“Was the movie boring?”

“No. Someone was just taking my attention away.”

“Who was?”

“You were.”

“Me?”

“Was that too cheesy?”

“I have idea what to say to that.”

“You don’t have to. It may be cheesy, but it’s the truth. I really couldn’t concentrate because of you.”

“You should’ve sent me home then.”

“But I wanted to spend time with you.”

“I’ll let this one slide too weirdo.”

I laughed.