Five

My Leading Lady

Ever since Young Ji and I became a couple, I couldn't help but be happy. She was always on my mind. Everytime I closed my eyes, she would pop into my head. However, since Sun Hwa was still sick, I stayed home from work so I could take care of her. I had my documents with me so I read when I had free time. I couldn't attend the meetings and I couldn't even meet Young Ji. We would talk on the phone occasionally, but that wasn't enough for me. I wanted to see her.

One day when I was in my study room, Sun Hwa knocked on the door.

“Yes?”

She walked in a gave me her phone. ‘Are you hungry? It's lunch time.’

“Did you make something?”

She nodded her head and pointed to her phone. I swiped down. ‘I made spaghetti.’

“Okay. Let's go eat.”

She smiled and nodded her head. I stood up and gave her her phone before we headed downstairs.

“Sun Hwa, in case of another emergency will you give me your number so I can contact you?”

She nodded her head and gave me her phone. I took it and dialed my phone into hers. I called mine to make sure I had hers.

“Okay. If you need anything you call me and if I need anything I'll call you. Since we can't communicate verbally we'll text. But if you call me, I'll know that you need something.”

She nodded her head.

When we were in the midst of eating, the front doorbell started to ring and Sun Hwa went to answer it.

“You must be Sun Hwa. Jin Young has told me so much about you.”

The voice sounded like Young Ji. I set my chopsticks down and walked over to the door.

“Sun Hwa, who is it,” I asked.

And to my surprise, it was Young Ji.

“Young Ji, what are you doing here?”

My heart was pounding. Young Ji was right in front of me and I wanted to go hug her.

“I went to your work and they said you took leave for a week. So I came here instead.”

“Yeah. I'm still taking care of Sun Hwa.”

“Oh. Well, it looks like you did a good job. She looks fine.”

I smiled and she smiled.

“May I come in,” she asked.

“Of course,” I said. She came in and handed me a bag.

“I brought lunch over for you.”

“You did? What did you bring,” I asked.

“I made it myself. I deep fried shrimp.”

“Sounds good. Actually, Sun Hwa and I were in the middle of lunch. Want to join us?”

“Sure. That is if it's okay with Sun Hwa.”

I looked over at her and she nodded her head.

“Let's go,” I said taking her.

“I guess she doesn't mind about us,” Young Ji said.

“Actually, she doesn't know about us.”

I looked at Sun Hwa and her eyes were telling me that she was curious. And her facial expression made her looked so cute and clueless.

“Young Ji and I are dating,” I told Sun Hwa. “I know that you and I are both against this marriage so I'll try to break it off for the both of us. It'll make everything better.”

“You don't mind do you,” Young Ji asked.

She shook her head and motioned us to eat. She rubbed her tummy and walked away.

“Did you understand that,” Young Ji asked.

“She either said she was full or she had a stomachache. She probably said she was full since she looked fine.”

“Ahh. So what am I saying?”

She did some hand motions and I looked at her weird.

“What are you doing,” I asked.

“You don't know what this means?”

She spread her arms across her head and brought it down.

“Hooray?”

“It means I love you a lot,” she said pouting.

“Oh.”

“Let's just eat.”

“Are you mad? Don't be. Since you can talk, tell me instead. It was actually really hard for me to understand her at first, but I've gotten used to it.”

“It must've been hard for you right?”

“Not really.” I smiled and looked forward to see Sun Hwa’s plate of spaghetti still there. She still had a plate full. Why did she say she was full?

“Jin Young, are you doing anything after this?”

“I still have some work to do. I'm only on my lunch break.”

“Even when you're at home, you're working?”

“I have to make money somehow. Did you need something?”

“I wanted to go out on a date with you. Ever since we started dating we haven't done anything special.”

“I can't go. Not today. I still have work and I still need to take care of Sun Hwa. I can go when she gets better.”

“When will that be?”

“Saturday. Two days from now. I'll take you on a date okay?”

She smiled and nodded her head.

When we got done with lunch Young Ji was heading home so I sent her to her car. Before she got in, she gave me a kiss on the cheeks and left. I smiled and headed back inside.

Later on that night, Sun Hwa was heading to bed. But before she could go to her bedroom I stopped her.

“Have you been sleeping well lately?”

She nodded her head.

“You're still taking medications aren't you?”

She nodded her head.

“The doctor said it's best if you could go to sleep on your own. So try going to sleep without the medicine.”

She nodded and I went back to my study room.

The next day when I woke up, I was still in my study room. I probably fell asleep here because my neck hurts.

I headed downstairs and saw Sun Hwa already setting the table.

She looked at me weird and took out her phone. She typed and gave it to me.

‘Why are you still in your clothes from yesterday?’

“I fell asleep in my study room.”

‘You should stop working late and get some sleep. Staying up late isn't good for your health.’

“I know. But since I'm not at work anymore, I have to work twice as hard.”

‘I'm sorry. Because of me, you can't even work properly.’

“You're not the problem. Don't worry about it.”

I walked up to my bedroom and washed up and changed, before I headed downstairs again.

Sun Hwa walked over to me and handed me her phone. ‘Do you have any work to do today?’

“I do. Some new documents came in this morning and I have to get through it.”

Her face dropped and she took her phone from me. She typed something and showed me. ‘Okay. Don't overwork yourself.’

She set down the chopsticks and motioned me to eat. I went to sat down and started to eat. I took glances at her and her face was always down.

“Sun Hwa,” I called out her name. “Did you need something?”

She shook her head and poked at her food.

“If you want, I can take a rest for today.”

She shook her head.

“Come on. You wanted something that's why you asked if I had work today right?”

She nodded her head.

“Tell me what you want.”

She smiled and started to type on her phone.

‘I want to go out today! I want to go shopping! And that place you told me about. The place you said sold American food. I want to go there!’

“Really?”

She nodded her head with enthusiasm.

“Okay. Let's go.”

She clapped her hands and came over to hug me.

“You're welcome,” I said surprised.

For some odd reason, when she did that, I felt warm inside. Like I was doing a good deed.

Ever since she's got here, I haven't took her out at all. She's been stuck in here for so long I'm sure she felt stuffy.

After breakfast, I went to change into a white buttoned up shirt. I put on a black dress pants and tucked my shirt in. I threw on my black blazer and went to grab my keys and wallet. I went out to Sun Hwa’s bedroom door and knocked on it.

“Sun Hwa, are you ready?”

It took her a couple of seconds before she came out. And when she did I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She was wearing a turquoise dress and she was wearing matching shoes with it. Her hair was straightened and neatly put to the side. Her right side of her neck was revealed. I never noticed how pretty she was until now.

Wait. Jin Young what are you saying? What about Young Ji?

“Ready,” I asked.

She held up a finger and walked back into her room. She grabbed her purse and came over to me. She smiled and nodded her head.

When we were in the car, I noticed that Sun Hwa had a big smile on her face. And when we got to the mall an even bigger smile appeared. I was happy that she was happy.

She held onto my hand and pointed to a place. I followed the directions of her finger and saw that she was pointing to a men's clothing store.

“You want to go there,” I asked.

She nodded her head.

“Why? I thought you wanted to shop for yourself.”

She shook her head and pulled me to the store. When we got there she pulled out her phone and started typing.

‘Pick out anything that you want.’

“Sun Hwa, you should pick something out for yourself instead. I'm fine, really.”

She shook her head and went from rack to rack and finally pulled out a white solid color shirt. She handed it to me and I rejected it.

“Sun Hwa, really, I don't need this.”

She gave me a look and I gave in. I took the shirt and she continued on shopping. She ended up giving me six shirts, some were plaid, striped, and solid colors, shorts, and skinny jeans. She went and asked for a fitting room and pushed me into it.

“Sun Hwa.”

She stopped me before I could go on and shut the door for me.

I sighed and tried on the clothes she picked out for me. The first one I tried was, the white t shirt she got me and I tried on a pair of shorts. When I went out for her to see it, she nodded her head and smiled. We did that with all the clothes, but she didn't agree to all of them. At the end, we ended up with two shirts, one shorts, and two pairs of skinny jeans. I was going to pay, but she insisted on paying so she paid for the clothes instead.

Then, she pulled me to another store and the cycle repeated. At the end of this whole thing, we ended up with three bags. I don't even know how many shirts, shorts, and skinny jeans she got me. On top of all that, she even bought two new shoes: a pair of black converse and a pair of sandals.

When we were heading out of the mall, Sun Hwa stopped me and pointed to the bathroom.

“Do you have to go?”

She shook her head. She pointed to the bags in my hand and pointed to the men's bathroom.

“You want me to change?”

She smiled and nodded her head.

“I don't want to.”

She pushed me to the bathroom and I gave in. I went into a stall and locked it. I set the bags down and took out a light orange shirt and a pair of shorts. I started to strip and put on the clothes. I even changed into the sandals. When I got out of the stall, I looked at myself in front of the mirror. I don't look half bad, but I'm not used to these kind of clothings. I walked out and saw Sun Hwa sitting at a bench. When she saw me, her eyes lit up and ran over to me. She eyed me up and down and clapped her hands. She took out her phone and started typing.

‘See. You feel less stuffy with these clothes on right?’

“I do. But I feel like people are staring at me.”

‘They're only staring because you're so handsome.’

“Are you saying you're interested in me?”

She shook her head. ‘I'm trying to boost your self confidence.’

“Either way, thank you for buying these for me. Now let's go to eat so I can repay you.”

She nodded her head enthusiastically and we both walked out of the mall.

 

“I'll have the chicken Alfredo with water please,” I ordered.

Sun Hwa pointed to number three and number six and showed the waiter her phone.

“Okay. Your orders will be here shortly,” he said.

I quickly took a glance at the menu and saw what number three and six was. Three was barbecued ribs and six was chicken fried rice.

I thanked him and he took the menus from us.

“I've only ate here once and I remember it being good. I hope you like it too.”

She nodded her head.

When the food came, I started to dig into my Alfredo.

Sun Hwa showed the waiter her phone.

“Sure thing,” he said and left.

Sun Hwa sat there and waited.

“Why aren't you eating,” I asked.

‘I'm waiting for the waiter to come back.’

“Why? Is there something wrong?”

She shook her head.

“Here are your extra plates. Will there be anything else,” the waiter asked.

Sun Hwa shook her head.

“Enjoy your meal.” He left.

“Why did you ask for extra plates,” I asked.

She had three ribs and put two onto a plate and put about half of the fried rice onto the other plate. She placed them in front of me and motioned me to eat.

“You're giving me these,” I asked.

She smiled and nodded her head.

“No. You have it. I'm fine.”

She shook her head. ‘I'm not going to be able to finish this.’

“In that case.” I grabbed the extra plate and divided the Alfredo for me and her. “Have some.”

She smiled and nodded.

I've noticed that she did that a lot and it was cute.

After we got done eating, I paid for the bill and we headed home. When we got home, it was about eight. Sun Hwa went upstairs and so did I. I went into my room and hung up my new clothes. After that, I went to take a shower and when I got out I went downstairs to see Sun Hwa sitting at the couch. When she heard me coming, she stood up and headed over to me. She gave me her cell phone.

‘Are you going back to work tomorrow?’

“Yes.”

She motioned me to scroll down.

‘Thank you for today. I had a lot of fun.’

“It was nothing. Thank you for buying me the clothes. I really like them.”

She shook her head and motioned me to scroll down some more.

‘Let's found a day to go tell your parents about you and your girlfriend.’

“You really want to?”

She nodded her head and motioned me too scroll down. ‘It's for the best.’

“How about next weekend? I have a date with Young Ji this weekend and work is going to keep me busy.”

She nodded her head. She motioned me to scroll down. ‘Goodnight.’

She took her phone and headed upstairs.

“Sun Hwa, wait,” I shouted after her.

She turned around.

“Have you been sleeping well?”

She nodded her head.

“Without the medication.”

She shook her head.

“If you don't mind. May I ask you how you sleep?”

She pointed to the lights.

“With the light on?”

She nodded her head.

“Maybe you should avoid doing that. I read somewhere that if you have trouble sleeping at night then you should sleep with the lights off.”

She immediately shook her head.

“Why not?”

She continued shaking her head.

“Are you possibly afraid of the dark?”

She nodded.

“If you don't mind, I'll stay with you until you fall asleep and we can try turning off the lights.”

She shook her head.

“Why not?”

She started typing on her phone and came to show it to me.

‘What if I wake up in the middle of the night? You won't be there anymore.’

“Do you want to sleep in my room than?”

Her eyes enlarged.

“Don't get me wrong. You can sleep on the bed and I'll sleep on the ground. I promise you I won't do anything. I'm just trying to help you.”

She looked uneasy.

“If you don't believe me, than,” I thought about what could be done. “You can splash cold water on me.”

She smiled and finally nodded her head.

“Okay. This way.”

I lead her to my room.

“Make yourself comfortable. I'm going to bring in your belongings.”

I walked over to her room and got her luggage. I noticed a teddy bear on the bed and took it as well.

“This is yours right,” I asked Sun Hwa.

She nodded her head and came to get it. She went back into bed and lied down while I went into the closet and got some spare pillows and blankets. I spread the blanket across the ground, next to the bed, and threw a pillow and another blanket down before I lied down.

“Will you turn off the lamp,” I asked.

She did so and off to dreamland I went.