Eavesdropped Conversations and A What?!

Fanboys' Guide to the Goddess' Heart

Chapter Eight: Eavesdropped Conversations and A What?!

 

Contrary to popular belief, Lee Soo-Man was a considerate man. Social media sites perceive him as a slave-driver, ruthless and unforgiving when it comes to his talents, and that he forced the poor trainees to practice past midnight and push past the point of exhaustion until he was satisfied with their performance.

That was true but not the whole truth.

Most entertainment companies require perfection or near to it from their trainees and for a big company such as SM, one misstep was a big no-no. The idol industry was such a complex business endeavor that crosses boundaries that most people wouldn’t dare cross. Privacy was nonexistent, looks and talent were the currency, and the perception of being pristine and likable was the key to a booming career.

There’s no space for controversies and failure.

That would make Lee Soo-Man lose millions of dollars.

And for someone with a business mindset, it’s unacceptable.

He’d rather keep his slave-driver façade than be called a pushover.

But even he cannot stop them from getting caught up in controversies and rumors—they’re not idols all the time; and in the early stages of adulthood too. Sometimes, they just want to go to the normal world and be seen as normal—just like everyone else. They want to do things that others do like out to see movies, walk in the park, drink alcohol with their friends, and date the person they like without getting distracted by their aesthetics, talent, wealth, friends, and fame.

But they’re not as free as they think they would be. True, they earn more than most people but what’s earning when you’re caged like an animal in a circus?

As soon as they debuted on the stage, there’s no turning back. For the rest of their life, they would be associated with the group they debuted with and the projects they did under the agency. Unfortunately, the controversies would be part of them too.

He went through the same experience. What he regretted the most was missing out on his younger years.

He doesn’t like doing damage control, but he’d do it for his talents. A slave-driver he may be, but he taught and guided those kids first. Dispatch is such a fickle thing anyway and the public is easy to manipulate.

This collaboration would either make or break their company.

But it’s a risk I’m willing to take, the CEO took a deep breath.

Lee Soo-Man sighed, adjusting in his seat, as YG waited for his answer.

“Yes, I’m absolutely sure.”

“This is not like you. I thought you were into exclusivity?”

“It’s something new and out of the norm for SM and YG Entertainment and I think a collaboration with my talents would shoot both our companies’ reputation to unprecedented heights.”

Silence.

Then a gruff voice answered, “I’ll be there in 3 hours.”

The call ended.

The CEO of SM Entertainment smiled in triumph as he called his assistant.

“Jae-eun-yah, you know who to call.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Say what again?”

“There’s been a change in schedule. We’ll be having a comeback in January instead.”

“But that’s nine months from now! We’ve been rehearsing every day and they’re delaying us now?”

“Shh! Lower your voice down, Tao, or the others will hear!”

Kris frowned as he leaned in further on the door slit.

It’s been a week since his birthday. The duizhang’s bash was a success for most part. It would’ve been perfect if Dara noona was in their circle the whole time but they can’t be selfish. Their princess noona admires unselfish and mature people, and they’ll be just that.

Their self-realization did not come overnight. It took them three days, a potluck-full of Kyungsoo’s best dishes, and another case of poor Suho’s credit card getting maxed out before they got out of their funk. Tao was ruthless as he dragged EXO towards all the designer boutiques in Apgujeong and Cheongdam. Lay and Kyungsoo had to do so much cooking while Suho and Kris had to tell many alibis to their very-suspicious Manager-nim. After all, the broken window in Chanyeol’s room could be explained as an unfortunate accident if they played their cards right.

“But, what could make Sajangnim decide to postpone our comeback? I remember him saying that our lyrics were good and that our choreography surpassed his expectations.”

“I don’t know Minseok hyung—maybe because the yoda’s dancing was despicable?”

Yah! As if you’re any better, Baekhyun-ah! You almost sent Choreographer-nim to the E.R. with your flying shoe— “

The room descended into cacophonous screeching as the EXO members behind the door try to stop Chanyeol from choking a certain Eyeliner Prince to death. Kris pulled away from the door, bothered by what he heard.

Baekhyun overheard Manager-nim.

And he told Chanyeol, Xiumin, Chen, Tao, and Kai.

That in itself spells trouble. With a capital T.

Xiumin wouldn’t tell a soul but he’ll act as if he knows everything and make you look stupid; Kai and Chanyeol could be bribed to silence, and that bribery would not come in the form of money or getting the best lines in their next song; Chen’s a pain when it comes to secrets, no surprise there; and Tao’s unstoppable.

Enough said.

The fact that spies should not let anyone receive valuable Intel must have left Baekhyun’s brain and jumped off the “logic” wagon.

But then again, he couldn’t blame their resident spy for wanting to be in on the secret and spreading said secret.

Their manager’s hiding something.

And he’s sure that Suho knows about it and won’t tell any of them.

Suho would go ballistic, he thought.

Seriously, he kept on telling the idiot that their dongsaengs are not as oblivious as he believes them to be. Even the densest person can feel that something’s brewing in the air.

And the thing is, he’s not sure where it would hit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

His suspicion started after their meeting with Seungri sunbae and YG’s top idols, T.O.P and Se7en. They arrived at the bubble tea house to meet their sunbae, expecting anything out of the blue and still, they were shocked into silence. The following interrogation that involved their surprising and unwanted, T.O.P sunbaenim added with annoyance, friendship with YG Princess Sandara Park was brutal in its thoroughness.

As soon as the ordered bubble tea arrived in the room, they went down to business. Or the YG idols went down to business while the poor EXO leaders looked at them in bewilderment as they were bombarded with questions.

“How did you meet Santoki? And don’t tell me you met her in your birthday party—I’m not that stupid.”

“Who among you are fanboys of Dara-yang? Please don’t lie. If there’s nothing going on, you don’t have to.”

“Since when are you fanboys? Exact date and time, please. And will you please hurry up? I have a photoshoot by twelve-fifteen.”

“What type of fanboys are you? If you’re friends of Dara noona, then you should know she hates liars.”

“Tell us the truth, are you all fanboys?”

Suho wanted to tell the truth, he really did. He was stuck in the grinder, he had no fallback, no accomplice to back him up. Kris won’t help him—he just stared at them with blank eyes showed that he’s just as clueless as the poor EXO guardian.

The truth was that they adore their Dara noona for all that she is—her talents, her glowing beauty, her crazy antics, her fast and suicidal driving, her love for all things cute, her dislike of being ignored, her awkward social skills, her undying—and frustrating—love for Won Bin and Kang Dong Won, her refreshing outlook in life, her simplicity, her humbleness, and her love for her family and friends. They knew of her crazy personality from watching their interviews, behind-the-scenes clips, and 2ne1 TV.

But that was just a part of her—her warmth told them far more than any video could ever show.

Yes, they were fans of a girl who could brighten the day with a smile.

For someone so bright and warm, was it really a surprise that she caught the eyes of many who just want to bask in her presence?

Is it a crime to be a fanboy of hers?

Is it a crime to like someone who has a beautiful mind and spirit?

Before he could do a “Baekhyun” and turn the table towards them, Seungri surprised them all. 

“What? T.O.P hyung! They’re not that kind of fans of noona! Believe me! I was there when they asked me to invite 2ne1 to Kris-ssi’s birthday party!”

“Don’t cover for them, Seungri. They lied to you. We know what we’re doing.”

Kris was not a superstitious guy nor does he believe in fate/destiny/stars that magically grant you any wish you want except demise of all Dara fanboys, but at that moment, he knew there must be someone watching out for them. Granted, they went out to meet Seungri sunbae without permission from Manager-nim and the other EXO members, they faced the wrath of T.O.P sunbaenim and Se7en sunbaenim, but the support of Seungri sunbae cannot be done by anyone but those lucky celestial bodies.

The maknae of BigBang whirled his arms in passion as he wildly gestured at the EXO leaders. “But hyung! Don’t lay false accusations on them! They’re on our side! They’re protectors of noona! They even hid noona from prying eyes when she saved them from the mall mobbing! They even fed her their food, from their allowance! And you know how big noona’s appetite is—”

“I know their kind—they’re just going to hurt our Dara. We have to nip their kind in the bud.”

“Dong-Wook hyung, you’re being unfair! Please listen to me— “

T.O.P sunbae dragged the fuming Seungri down to sit. “Aish, you maknae! Sit down and don’t speak or you’ll be hearing from Jiyong! And Sajangnim, too! Now answer us truthfully, what are your intentions for our Sandara Park?”

Maybe it’s the hard glint in his sunbaes’ eyes or the pleading and apologetic gaze of Seungri sunbae or the suffocating grasp Kris had on his arm, but Suho felt something powerful and encompassing rise up in him, filling his gut with resolve and pushing his mouth to utter the words that he needed to say.

He had enough of everyone’s nonsense.

 “Stop.”

Kris bumped knees with Se7en sunbae, ignoring the indignant “Yah!”, as he focused his attention on Suho. “Suho— “

“Just stop. Please.”

All eyes fell on Suho as he straightened up and pushed his bubble tea away.

“I don’t know where you’re going with this line of questioning, sunbaenim, but please refrain from asking ridiculous questions. Our conflict won’t be resolved if we’re make such fools of ourselves. In any case, I sincerely apologize, in behalf of EXO, for troubling you with our friendship with noona, indirect or not, and for severely rattling your minds and hectic schedules with the fact that her mere fanboys were out to take her away from you.”

Silence.

“Yes, we are friends and yes, she is precious to us like how she is to you. Fanboys we may be, but we consider ourselves friends to her, so I dearly hoped that we may be friends to you as well—But alas, judgment and hypocrisy I do not tolerate.”

Suho leaned back against the wall, eyes piercing. “But since you all are our sunbaenims and are more mature and levelheaded than your rookie hoobaenims, we will clarify and tell you to consider your misgivings pointless and unnecessary for what could mere fanboys ever do to break the strength of a bond between a noona and her dongsaengs?”

T.O.P sunbae’s voice went deeper as his eyebrows shot up. “You dare disrespect your sunbaenim? “

“I dare not disrespect a sunbaenim but call out someone who is in the wrong for being unjust to another.”

The air was heavy, the tension stiffening their shoulders as they met each other’s gaze evenly.  

Kris could only stare at the calm expression on Suho’s face. He slowly pulled the matcha bubble tea and tasted it.

No signs of psychoactive drugs/Kai’s sad attempt at cooking jjamppong.

Taste like normal matcha. Like a normal bubble tea would.

So where in the name of all celestial bodies and U.F.O spaceships did Suho get the spine to answer back to someone?

Seungri sunbae was unusually quiet, gauging the seriousness of the situation with worried eyes. Kris met Se7en sunbae’s gaze and saw disbelief, intrigue, and slight approval.

Approval?

T.O.P sunbae held Suho’s unimpressed stare before heaving a sigh. “Damn. And here I thought my intimidation skills are up to par. This is a first for me.”

Suho watched as both his sunbaes let go of their intimidating expressions, scowls lifting up and smirks growing on their lips as they laughed till they’re coughing for breath. The poor EXO guardian looked around him for help or some kind of explanation.

Kris was frowning in confusion. Seungri sunbae was dumbfounded, mouth hanging open and eyes bulging comically wide.

In a dramatic turn of events, the stoic face of T.O.P smiled at them, one corner tilting up. “Congratulations, kid. You pass.”

Se7en smiled. “You have guts, Kim Junmyeon-ssi, and a strong sense of fairness. You did well.”

The ever-eloquent leader of EXO could only say, “Huh?”

Kris shook his head as he remembered the stunned look in Suho’s face. Their leader was capable of many things, but gaping like a tuna in an ugly green sweatshirt was not one of them. They watched with varying degrees of confusion as the two veteran idols slipped away from their villainous persona and into happy-go-lucky guys with a penchant for competing against each other in a drinking-bubble tea contest and making their dongsaeng Seungri’s life as miserable as possible.

It was a test.

A test for what, he had no clue.

But his Dara noona was involved.

Kris snorted in amusement, ignoring the curious expression of Lay who was seated on the couch in front of him.

As if the kind and caring Dara could ask a person to someone for her. He’d bet his whole monthly allowance, Kai’s sneaker collection, Sehun’s beloved Rilakkuma stuffed toys, and Chanyeol’s limited and borderline illegal 2ne1 memorabilia that the girl had no idea that they got the third-degree from her sunbaes.

He chuckled, unaware that a certain unicorn was confused as hell.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kris-ge’s acting weird, Lay thought as he observed the fleeting expressions on Kris’ face. Even Suho hyung too, he realized with a jolt. Their sudden mood change began three days ago when they returned to the dorm after going to the mall to buy shampoo. Expecting both leaders with the shampoo that he also uses secretly, Lay was immediately suspicious when they returned with ten bubble teas and no shampoo.

He may be next to hopeless when it came to memorizing but he prided himself an observant, and a scarily-good one at that. He watched the two hyungs smile and laugh at their dongsaengs’ antics but exchange a meaningful glance when they answered the others why they were gone for four hours.

They looked for the shampoo in Mapo-gu and got thirsty so they drove to see So-jin noona and bought bubble tea for everyone, they placated the questioning maknaes with a smile.

But he wasn’t as oblivious as his hyungs thought him to be. The excuse was valid, and Mapo-gu was farther than the usual shopping mall in Apgujeong-dong where they sneak off to buy their necessities. Traffic can be accounted for but it’s not that terrible compared to Beijing and the search for the elusive shampoo could take an hour or two, but four hours?

Kris-ge’s an impatient guy. He won’t stay in a bubble tea shop for two hours, even in So-jin noona’s shop.

What made them more suspicious in the unicorn’s eyes was their whispered conversation in the kitchen at one in the morning two days after their shampoo escapade. He was rummaging the cabinet for a few cookies when he heard voices.

“There’s something going on and I hate the fact that I don’t know where this is going to blow up.”

 “Hmm, you’re right though—weird things are happening and it started with your birthday. I mean, how do you explain sunbaenims’ unplanned visit?”

Sunbaenims? Visit?

What is going on?

He leaned further, trying to understand the hushed voices but they were unintelligible.

Lay wished he had bigger ears and a more comfortable place to eavesdrop on than his squatting position on the kitchen counter.

The sound of a chair scraping the floor reminded Lay of his precarious position. He had to leave or Kris-ge would have his head on a platter. Silently, he tiptoed his way out after closing the cabinet door. He was almost around the corner—

“This stays between us, Kris. I don’t want to worry everyone about the changes in schedule and management— “

“Still won’t tell me what you know?”

A sigh. “You’d find out sooner. He’s still not sure about the project but he’ll receive confirmation a few days from now. He’d tell everyone by then.”

“Is it good news?”

The unanswered question and the silence after kept Lay unable to sleep.

For two days.

He can’t live like this.

He coughed. “Kris-ge ge, can I talk to you about something?”

Kris scrunched his eyebrows and opened his mouth to say something when Chen barged into the living room.

“Kris-ge, Lay-ge, Suho hyung’s calling a dorm meeting!”

Lay was a patient person. He’d wait for the right time to ask Kris­-ge. He followed the two EXO members, curious and slightly apprehensive as to what Suho hyung would say.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The guardian of EXO watched as the other boys piled up in his room wearing various expressions on their faces. Kris acted indifferent and cool as he surveyed the scene where Baekhyun and Chanyeol rushed to sit on his bed, arguing quietly on who’s turn it is to hug the thousand-dollar pillow of Suho that he got from his beloved fans. They jokingly said once that the pillow was made from unicorn manes or feathers from the wings of angels or something as silly as that. Suho agreed with them—Who’d buy a pillow worth five thousand dollars? — but still tried to hide the pillow with his grinning face on it.

It’s one disturbing gift but the others put it back on his bed every time he attempted to hide it.

It’s comfy and we just want the best for you hyung! Even if you look constipated on this one, they argued.

That was a year ago and the same pillow resided on his bed.

Suho looked around and noticed the absence of the others. “Where’s Luhan? And Kyungsoo and Sehun, too?”

Xiumin did not look up from the book he was reading. “Manager-nim called Luhan and he left two hours ago. Sehun and Kyungsoo tagged along.”

Wae? Do you know why, hyung?”

Xiumin hesitated. It wasn’t like he was supposed to know—he just heard the conversation between Luhan and Sehun.

He was done cleaning dishes, for the fourth time this week, he realized with chagrin, and was dead tired after waking up at five in the morning to help Lay in preparing for breakfast as it was Kyungsoo’s rest day from cooking. Not to mention, Tao, Chen, and the newly-inducted Chanyeol continued the same debate on Kyuhyun sunbae’s eyebags’ serum that started a week ago and made him the unwilling arbiter when he’s barely awake.

His room was second to the farthest end and was two doors down Luhan and Sehun’s room. He passed by, thinking of ways to relax and spend time wisely before the day officially starts, when he heard Sehun shout.

“What the hell do you mean we’re going to collaborate— “

“Shh! Not so loud! Aish!” Curses in Mandarin were soon heard.

Xiumin frowned as he realized that everyone’s keeping secrets from each other. The first ones to do so was Suho and Kris. Even to someone that is not as good of an observant as Lay and Baekhyun, Suho was acting different. From the fidgeting when Chanyeol and Tao asked where he went and why he suddenly act like a concerned leader and bought them bubble teas, to the time he caught Suho texting somebody while looking over his shoulder—like sneaking a message before anyone notices.

Definitely weird.

The duizhang was as cool and indifferent as usual, and at first, he didn’t notice anything unusual. But that was before Lay entered his room, shooed Tao away, and told him the interesting conversation between the two EXO leaders when everyone was sleeping. The abashed unicorn was skirting on the fact that he eavesdropped on them but he was still reprimanded by a disapproving Xiumin.

There wouldn’t be unity in the group if they kept too many secrets between themselves.

“But they’re from— “

Yah! Be quiet! Chanyeol will hear and we’ll get no peace in here!”

Sehun’s voice was tinged with excitement. “Mianhe, Kyungsoo hyung. It’s just so hard to believe?”

Xiumin leaned further, ignoring the voice in his head telling him that he’s eavesdropping like the way he reprimanded Lay yesterday. He’d examine his conscience later. At that moment, Luhan, Sehun, and even Kyungsoo were hiding things as well, and the ironic thing was—

He’s the only one who kept his nose away.

A shuffle. “But is it really true, Lu-ge? I thought Baekhyun was just pulling our strings, you know. It’s just—impossible, and very unlikely. Why us?”

“I don’t know the full story so don’t ask me the details. Manager-nim slipped when I asked him when the rehearsals start so I can take a vacation in China. After that Baekhyun overheard Manager-nim talking to somebody and that confirmed what I thought was just my imagination.”

“Think of this as an opportunity, Sehun. We should be happy, ecstatic even. “

“I know! But I’m nervous too. I mean, this is a first in the industry and it seems like we’ll be in the eye of the public for years to come. And it’s—”

A phone ringing cut the conversation. “Wait a second there, Sehun­-nie. Yeoboseyo? Wae, Manager-nim? Now? We’ll be there. Sehun-nie and Kyungsoo-yah’s with me—Okay hyung. What time is the meeting with Sajangnim? Four in the afternoon? Okay. We’re on our way.”

The sounds of footsteps made Xiumin back away and run to his room, mind filled with what he heard.

Five minutes later, Luhan entered his room and told him that they’re being called for a CF proposal.

Luhan was about to exit when a hard voice froze him in his steps, “I’ll cover for you three. But make sure that you’d tell everyone soon. I hate secrets being kept from everyone.”

Luhan looked back and nodded, “As soon as we arrive. I guess I don’t need to tell you to prepare for a meeting with SM Sajangnim at 4 o’clock.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Xiumin looked at the curious expression on Suho’s face and smiled sheepishly.

He promised the deer he’d keep his mouth shut, even if he didn’t get anything from them.

“Something about a CF? I’m not sure. They were running ‘cos Luhan saw the text message half an hour late.”

Suho nodded in acquiescence. Tao, Kai, and Chen sat on the floor, rummaging through their leader’s pristine cabinet like wolves hungry for some meat, which in this case was blackmail material.

Suho smirked as he checked his phone for messages. Ha! As if they can find anything—

“Wait, wait, Jongdae hyung, raise that notebook up on—there’s a card!”

“A card? Let me see!”

“It’s a postcard card! Let me read— “

“What? What is written—?”

“T.O.P!”

The others looked up from their preoccupations when Suho yelled, “Yah! Stop messing with my things! And don’t put that notebook on top of the drawer!”

The three scheming EXO members were gaping at the leader as the panda slowly raised up a card.

Chen wiggled his eyebrows suggestively as he snatched the card away from a stunned Tao and waved it slowly. “Not ‘top’, hyung. But T.O.P. Specifically, BigBang’s T.O.P. What are you hiding, Suho omma? Why do you have sunbae’s limited edition mini postcard in your drawer? Not to mention, his number—Ack!”

Suho could only watch in muted horror as the two hyperactive members pushed Chen away and turned the card around so fast that the paper was almost torn in half. Lay and Xiumin exchanged a confused glance before sitting down on the floor beside Tao as they looked over the panda’s shoulder. The leader of EXO was red in the face as he stammered defenses.

“No, T.O.P sunbaenim gave that as a calling card! See! There’s his number at the back— “

“Well, then, why is there a written note? It says here, ‘This is a reminder of what we agreed on.’. Hmm, sounds like a rendezvous to me.”

Chen was relentless as he tormented Suho of his buried love for the visual and baritone rapper of BigBang. Lay and Xiumin were still shocked to silence, cannot comprehend the fact that their leader had the personal number of someone as legendary as T.O.P. Tao and Kai kept on re-reading the note, looking for something that they can’t see. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were looking back and forth as the frustrated leader explained himself to the cackling troll.

Yah! Stop it, Chen! There must be a reason why Suho had that card, right?”

The sharp glare thrown at Suho did not pass unnoticed by Baekhyun and Lay.

“Right! Well, I met T.O.P sunbaenim in the bubble tea shop. You know how Kris is, he hates waiting…So, I went inside the shop and, uh, bought the teas and met him. We talked about idol life and some upcoming projects of his. And what do you know? He gave me a postcard and apologized because he forgot his business cards in his other coat; gave me an autograph and his personal number in case we needed some help with anything, like music or movie projects…yeah, that’s it. That’s what happened.”

Silence.

“Bull.”

Everyone turned to a maddened Xiumin.

“Alright. I’ve had it with everyone. Why don’t we tell everything in the open, hmm? Starting with you two.” He pointed at Suho then at Kris, face hardened with resolve.

The two could’ve slipped their way out but the way they exchanged a meaningful glance was more than enough.

Suho sighed. “I knew we should’ve told them, Kris.”

Xiumin listened to the frankly unbelievable tale that Suho spun on the spot, It’s only a tale, a make-believe story, because it’s beyond the realm of possibilities. Sure, Seungri sunbaenim texting the duizhang to meet him was possible since the BigBang member was the social butterfly of the idol group, just a notch below the party-playboy G-Dragon sunbaenim. But T.O.P and Se7en sunbaenim setting the whole thing up just to “test” the EXO members—a test about what, Suho and Kris still had no idea—was like a overly used-up plot for K-Dramas on a cliché Sunday morning. And the sudden support of Seungri sunbae, saving them from his aggressive hyungs was just the icing on the cake.

Suddenly, the postcard of T.O.P sunbaenim didn’t seem friendly, even if the rapper was smiling on the card.

Chen wildly waved his arms like a lunatic. “Wait, wait, hold up! You’re saying T.O.P sunbaenim and Se7en sunbaenim ‘tested’ you by subjecting you both to an interrogation about being ‘fanboys’?”

Seeing both leaders nod, Chen frowned. “But—Dara noona won’t ask them to do that to anyone. She’s too kind!”

Suho sighed. “That’s the reason why we didn’t tell any of you. She doesn’t know anything about what happened. If she did, she would’ve put a stop to it immediately. Knowing you, you’d contact noona the moment I turn my back and act like you were victimized by her sunbaes. “

“Which is what happened!”

Kris interrupted. “Look, it’s not like what you think. They asked questions and Suho slammed them back—don’t ask, long story. Seungri sunbae was horrified with his hyungs’ attitude and apologized profusely before they left. But Se7en sunbaenim slipped…said that they just followed the protocol.”

Chanyeol was silent the whole time, ignoring the elbow nudging him back to life. As of the moment, he was confused. Why would Dara noona’s sunbaenims target EXO? For being ‘fanboys’? Heck, there are more fanboys in the industry, and it’s just not them! And protocol? What in the name of all Chen’s Nerf Guns was the protocol about?

Xiumin told his side of the story, alerting the others that the three missing members may know more than what they know. Kris offhandedly commented on how their manager kept on slipping information that he was not supposed to say. Tao explained that the man was prone to telling when he’s frustrated, stressed, or excited. Knowing how the panda had too much experience on being scolded by their manager, he knew their manager the best. The only thing they could do was wait for Luhan, Sehun, and Kyungsoo to come back and give the missing pieces to the puzzle.

What they don’t know is the picture on the puzzle—is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

Lay rubbed his face. “This is just getting more complicated. It’s like we’re playing Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey but with too much tails and too much donkeys.”

Suho nodded. “That’s just the beginning. Two days after, I met with Manager-nim for the weekly meeting. He was panicky and strangely thrilled, mumbling about projects, managements, SM Sajangnim and re-scheduling in between his gasping for breaths. He didn’t realize I was there, but the damage has been done and I tried to piece everything together.”

Everyone jumped as Baekhyun yelled, pointing frantically at a startled Chanyeol “See, yoda! I told you it’s true!”

Kai shrugged. “Your story overlaps with Baekhyun’s. He overheard Manager-nim talking to Sajangnim’s assistant on the phone. Comeback will be on January instead.”

Chanyeol groaned. “But it still doesn’t make sense! What are we going to do for nine months? Even I wouldn’t want to have a vacation as long as that, especially since we’re not that established yet. And why keep it a secret? Like, even we don’t know everything, and we’re just coming up with answers from snippets of conversations that we overheard.”

Suho suddenly stood up and locked the door, ignoring the confused stares he was getting. He gestured for everyone to sit on the carpeted floor, putting a finger on top of his lip. He glanced at each member with a serious expression. “Look, we’re still in the dark and speculating on something that may not be true won’t help us in the slightest. Xiumin hyung, you said we’re going to have a meeting with Sajangnim? At four, yes? Then we only have two hours before we know the full story. We wait until then.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Suho had the weirdest feeling that many people were planning to kill him in his sleep.

See, the hairs on his arms are standing up.

As to how he would be killed, he didn’t want to imagine that gory part.

But they haven’t stopped staring.

Suho fidgeted.

Stares again.

Suho pulled the loose thread in his shirt.

Stares even more—

“Listen. “

He was teetering on the edge. So, he jumped off his seat, with a high ‘Eep!’ tone that he would come to argue was a very manly and robust yell, and apologized profusely.

Lee Soo-Man glanced at the expressionless CEO of YG Entertainment. “This’ll be brief.”

The CEO of SM Entertainment ignored twelve incredulous expressions thrown at him.

He adjusted his seat and took a deep breath.

“Expect your workload to double in amount. There’ll be times that you won’t get any rest because of promotions, MV shooting, drama projects, guesting, and photoshoots. You’ll be asked to perform songs that are out of your comfort zone and collaboration between YG artists would be expected from you so treat your future YG sunbaes well. New group concepts would also be introduced as YG hates anything cutesy and preppy,” SM Sajangnim snorted in amusement as he watched their shocked faces. “Your schedules would be changed and your tentative re-debut date would be in the second week of January. You’ll be the first idol group from both SM and YG that would re-debut to increase popularity of both companies and “bring the spotlight” to us, so to speak.”

“You are now part of SM Town as well as YG Family. Don’t let us down.”

 

Blag.

 

“Be a kind hyung, Junmyeon, and pick Chanyeol up, will you? He’s ruining my carpet.”